One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-08 10:27:11

miskas

Market and Laws - New Item - Hierarchy and Trade

An item that people could go write about what they need, what they want and their Name appears after the text.

-Every Entry is signed off with the name and nobility title of the writer.
-character limit= 1+age+gene score
-The way this would work is like swapping written paper from a slot box with unlimited capacity.
-1 text per player so they don't spam.
-Every new entry overwrites the old one.
-Their entry would be erased after their death or have a 30 minutes decay.
-Being a Noble grant you extra text slots. (King could post 4 Extra texts, duke 3, Earl 2, baron 1 extra
-To use the item you must hold a pencil or Elder Quill Ink Pen
-The written with pencil decays the written with Ink Pen is inherited to your nobility heir ( hierarchy )

This would incentivize property and trading but also can function as a law system once the Hierarchy is implemented.

Extra Feature!
Accept and Deny

-When a person reads your entry can say "YAY", "NAY" 
this will hit the writer of the entry with a popup saying Name-surname-Title accepts or denies your entry #.

(If a person has multiple entries put a Latin number on them I,II,III,IV so the person knows which one got approved and which not )

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-08 11:37:22)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-12-08 10:37:26

Toxolotl

Re: Market and Laws - New Item - Hierarchy and Trade

Remember when this game had elements of equality? The only thing holding you back was your knowledge? Individuals fueled by ambition and a desire to change the face of the world for the betterment of future generations?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-08 10:38:18)

#3 2019-12-08 10:45:27

miskas

Explanation:
I was trying to trade and cooperate.
At the start I used to be talking to people to see if they can help me.
After a lot of time, talking and searching I can find some that are interested in trade or cooperation.
But many times It would be better If I made all the things I needed myself in this time I used to search for a partner.

.Kids and teens cant easily communicate.
.The roles of the players are not very clear.
.What they need, want they would like to have and what they can offer.
.A lot of times I don't need staff for myself and I am just looking for a quest or to work for someone. A market would be helpful with this too.
I believe a big portion of players would love to do some quest for others.

Why not use a Slot box as it is now?
the problems of a slotted box with paper are
-that one person can spam all the papers,
-that one person can delete all the other papers,
-that papers don't decay so you cant be sure that this person is alive.
-that papers have a harsh characters limit.

All these guarantee that even if I put a slot box in the center of town to act as a market it will never do,
cause it is not distinctable and most important not reliable

Toxolotl wrote:

Remember when this game had elements of equality? The only thing holding you back was your knowledge? Individuals fueled by ambition and a desire to change the face of the world for the betterment of future generations?

Knowledge doesn't hold us back anymore, we have it.
One major thing that holds us back is the inability to communicate information properly and cooperate with each other multiplying our efforts.

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-08 11:01:29)

Food value stats

#4 2019-12-08 11:18:08

Toxolotl

Knowledge used to be our only limit, but now we have tool slots and biome restrictions so that's cool i guess.

Main issue i have with this idea is that time overlap could make most quest useless. Say you put in a request at 20 then it gets picked up when you're 30, takes the person 20 minutes to complete, you're now 50 with only 10 minutes and a reduced food bar to complete whatever task you're doing. Presuming a player lives that long.

What happens when a quest giver dies in the middle of someone completing the quest? Would you need to waste a tool slot to write on the board? Would you need to be old enough to write what you need on the board?

I HATE the hierarchy concept. It sickens me. How is it remotely competitive with the social structure we have now? Things like this need to have a function not just a novelty. I like the idea of this quest board but i would likely look around town, see what is needed, fill the void, then work on my own project. Not sure how useful it would be and honestly im tired additions that require months of balancing while adding little value to the game.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-08 11:18:52)

#5 2019-12-08 12:04:26

Kinrany

How do people solve this problem irl, I wonder? A notice board is just as vulnerable to vandalism there.

What are some real life examples of this?

#6 2019-12-08 16:03:57

Bowser

I think what would make a law system interesting (though this system is likely hard to implement to begin with) is not a way to punish them immediately if they do not follow the rules, but a way to look up whether a player as broken the rules by taking them by force to a certain crafted object (even just a list of laws for a certain radius) and it showing what rules they have broken, and how many.

You could then administer punishment, either by killing them (I'd love to see proper tools for the job here, make it a public display--shame griefers), exiling them (they would be marked in some way as being an exile, which could actually be interesting if they meet other players in the wild that way) which could either just be a visual thing, or prevent them from using anything in town, and of course lighter punishments.  Being able to lead them and lock them in a fenced area where they can work for a few minutes or a lifetime... that's up to you.

But this also would have other ramifications, and while fun (to me), I could easily see it being abused by the racist griefers we see now and then, such as "lol let's enslave them," etc.

Edit: I think I misread this suggestion, my bad.  I do like the one you are offering, though, but I don't have much opinion on it.  Except that, more direct ways to trade other than "me take sulfur/rubber, that okay?" in broken dialogue and allowing it out of courtesy would be kind of nice...

Last edited by Bowser (2019-12-08 16:05:45)

#7 2019-12-08 16:21:44

miskas

Kinrany wrote:

How do people solve this problem irl, I wonder? A notice board is just as vulnerable to vandalism there.

What are some real-life examples of this?

but this mechanic is exactly designed to not be able to vandalise.
You cant erase other people's entries, your entry doesn't erase the other ones.

In real life Romans used town criers to reach a large crowd and also in real life you were awake for about 15.768.000 minutes, not 60 so you had plenty of time to talk to each other.

Food value stats

#8 2019-12-08 16:58:31

Kinrany

miskas wrote:

but this mechanic is exactly designed to not be able to vandalise.

I mean, what I'm saying is that IRL notice boards, or whatever the replacement is, also don't suffer from vandalism too much. I wonder why. That mechanism would probably be useful for other things too.

Maybe we need some kind of debt system, but I have no idea how to make it work without prices.

#9 2019-12-08 18:29:13

Melea

Bowser wrote:

You could then administer punishment, either by killing them (I'd love to see proper tools for the job here, make it a public display--shame griefers)...

That would backfire so quickly. You'd have people griefing left and right just to get a special fancy public execution/punishment. It wouldn't be something shameful to the types of folk that'd get it, it'd be an achievement. Like the time people with high curse scores had white-on-black speech bubbles. People were begging to be cursed, and being assholes to towns just so they could get different colored text.

Last edited by Melea (2019-12-08 18:30:05)

#10 2019-12-08 19:25:59

miskas

Kinrany
I don't know what do you mean, real life is full of Police, paper police (bureaucrat) , social police (gossip and social shaming), Magic police ( religion)
Also YOLO, you only live once. People are feared IRL , in ohol you don't have to fear about your life and I really doubt that people fear the Donkey town.

IN real life , You destroyed something public or sacred? Good luck if someone reports you.

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-08 19:34:14)

Food value stats

#11 2019-12-08 19:31:58

miskas

Melea wrote:
Bowser wrote:

You could then administer punishment, either by killing them (I'd love to see proper tools for the job here, make it a public display--shame griefers)...

That would backfire so quickly. You'd have people griefing left and right just to get a special fancy public execution/punishment. It wouldn't be something shameful to the types of folk that'd get it, it'd be an achievement. Like the time people with high curse scores had white-on-black speech bubbles. People were begging to be cursed, and being assholes to towns just so they could get different colored text.

If when you are captured, people can automatically Curse you by throwing you stuff and curse you for free without a token. Then people might not be begging to be publicly executed. Cause they might not be able to play a lot for the next month.

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-08 19:35:28)

Food value stats

#12 2019-12-08 22:18:13

Bowser

Melea wrote:
Bowser wrote:

You're not wrong, but it would give everyone a great opportunity to curse them, and amuse and appease everyone who was pissed off by it.  In the end, they would be unlikely to run into them again.

I doubt it would encourage them and in so doing make them any more active than they already are, but I could be wrong.  The shame, though, would be that they were caught for doing it badly, not that they were caught for doing it.  The execution would just be for fun (and be merciful), the real punishment would be forcing them to live out that life.

Last edited by Bowser (2019-12-08 22:18:27)

#13 2019-12-09 06:47:09

pein

the only hierarchy I could accept is some sort of meritocracy

but we don't really have a system to tell apart griefing, roleplaying or hard work

what if I use shovel 30 times? can be useful like digging up rocks, situationally that can be bad too since it's the last shovel so you need to focus on soil piles and compost, but can be total waste like graves

clicking a lot? u can ake music which is total waste of time but a lot of clicks

could be maybe a log that what actions happened in the area for last 10 min, you could find a person who was in your range, check his actions and disapprove some of it
that would raise others attention on it so could be used as anti grief tool

now the approving is bad cause roleplayers would approve every action of their favourite idiot and that would send her to the top

voting is unviable
like babies and toddlers shouldn't vote, since they might not survive or stay or know the town well enough
but soe veterans are useful enough at age 3 to be able to do most stuff so would you recast votes each 5 minutes?

I could imagine a to-do board where elders could post a job
they lived 55 years they know the drill probably (or they don't cause drill uses a slot tongue)
it should be selected from a list, so people don't give troll jobs like "hunt all ducks"
but like "make pottery" "get water" "make compost"
it should be accepted near a tile, then completed there to get a point for it, then you could make the next enquiry
maybe each new job given this way would give the next person 1.5-2 request slots and doing them would allow others to ask öre things over time
now this is also problematic cause some people don't know what the fuck is going on in the city

I often see problems that won't get solved in one hour and nobody even helps
they break 3 shovels on the graves, no smith left
no water to make crops, no carrot seed

they still do stuff like using the last bucket of water for carrots, picking branches when you got a ton, dogs, paper and fast roads when others starve cause nobody making food and they even withhold knives, etc

like 90% of people can't see the problems and the rest of 10% can solve them all or chooses a different path  to solve the same issue (make engine, make new well, scrape from ponds, take from other town etc)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer