One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-28 08:41:05

Spoonwood

A Naive Experiment

On stream the other day Twisted said that as Eve you can build a pine building as Eve.  If I have misstated what Twisted said, I wish to apologize in advance.  I also do think that the reworking of pine buildings an improvement in the game.  Pein has an interesting post on pine structures here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8549 There's a heart-waming post here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8532

Alright, I think, alright I'll try this new pine idea.  For the record, I'm playing on a low population server.  I find a suitable spot.  Start laying out pine floors.  I plan on a smithy with a 6x6 interior.  It looks alright so far.  I'm a bit rusty, so maybe not as fast as I could be, but I could have more help in a higher population context.  I have the 6x6 interior laid out.  Though I had seen it done on stream, I have to figure out how to make pine walls.  And then I realize that making a building like this as an Eve in a higher population probably-almost surely- isn't going to work.  It's so many maples that need to get brought back to camp.  And that just slows things down.  Town will need a hammer, an axe fast, a shovel, probably can use a steel hoe, a knife, and a few carts not too many generations after the Eve is dead.  And a few buckets.  ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE BROWN.

So, really, I think the traditional meta for an Eve camp holds.  Open-air smithies and kitchens for a bit.  Try to get a sheep pen up.  Get an oven up and cook some pies.  Get a wheat farm going.  Get on that steel tool progression so that you or your descendants can soon enough get to buckets and carts.  Plant crops for stew and cook some maybe.  If an arctic is close club some seals and get some clothing up.  Hunt a few mouflon maybe (but careful... remember... mouflon are needed for sheep... and mouflon hides now decay).  Hunt some wolves.  Maybe make some clogs (though maybe not).  Get a few backpacks up.  And all that Eve camps have traditionally done to make it more likely that their descendants succeed.

The only thing I think more efficient is that pine flooring can get used instead of wood flooring to organize farms (and such organization is useful).  Generations 1-5 probably won't have time or resources to get pine buildings up.  Not if their smart, in my opinion.  Not if their playing with random people who have to communicate in game.  Maybe a pine floor underneath the kiln or oven so that it doesn't have to get rebuilt later, but that's it for those places.  Open air smithies and kitchens early.

Maybe someone reading though has an insight as to how the new pine buildings have changed things early on in the bigserver context *for families that have succeeded*.  I'm mostly just guessing.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-28 08:46:50)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-28 14:57:24

Greenwood

Re: A Naive Experiment

Pine buildings are good for second and third generations. When you've got more helping hands finding the resources is less cumborsome. However, it's best for small buildings like nurseries. Once I was the daughter of an eve, and my sister built a pine nursery. It only had a 2x2 interior, but it saved us when the babies started coming thick and fast. It also created a nice homely space for our community.

#3 2019-11-28 18:10:51

DestinyCall

Yeah, small is good for early buildings.   The main advantage of buildings is the temperature boost, but since you can't do much while indoors, a nursery is the best early application.   Later on, you will have enough time and resources to make larger multi-room buildings for crafting or baking.   But in an early camp, having a warm spot for the babies is great. 

Although, an open fire nursery is also easy, once you have the axe for firewood.

#4 2019-11-28 19:32:31

Saolin

Would be nice to have in an early camp to conserve food. There's more important tasks to do though, and would really only be worth considering if you had extra population and people were already taking care of setting up a farm and getting the initial smithing done. Like others have said, a small nursery would probably be the best way to go.

#5 2019-11-29 00:03:08

pein

I said pine floors as eve. you can set the plans for the farms with them
the reason why you shouldn't build walls is that you need around 10-12 shafts for the tools, 2-3 tongs, knives, one or two fence kits (one for horse, one for well) and other stuff, so you can really only afford walls when you got the branches coming back so 1 or 2 hours into the city

it's also not optimal to do them if you smith
you need 3 tools to smith, then the best is to use an axe, since you will need kindling, shovel kinda every life, since you want extra adobe, big rock, etc. also maybe knife and pencil

I was doing a lot of floors and walls, best to have stakes, shovel, axe, rest is Flexi but maybe mallet is useful since you can cut big rock and butt logs

I did this wo buildings all alone:
uXBLVKt.png

we had a small kiln base pen, 3x5 I think, barely got shears when I was born +6 min, we had some fully clothed people so I would say that around  6 gens, kinda emptied all connecting green biomes and half badlands to make this pen, 22 boards for 20 free tiles, I didn't aim for more

converted the sheep pen adobe to half walls. people make full walls, that's a bad idea, I came back hours later and still wasn't finished or plastered, half wall won't decay and you can mark the sides of the building first

They covered the kitchen with pine floor, which looked decent after I made it symmetric
HrIMA3O.png
got them all those horses -1 and the upgraded cart. Made them cistern, upgraded the well.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-11-29 02:13:51

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

I said pine floors as eve. you can set the plans for the farms with them
the reason why you shouldn't build walls is that you need around 10-12 shafts for the tools, 2-3 tongs, knives, one or two fence kits (one for horse, one for well) and other stuff, so you can really only afford walls when you got the branches coming back so 1 or 2 hours into the city

I agree.  I might have not made it clear, but when I tried making the building that I did, it didn't seem too bad until I started making those walls, and realized that were I in a different context and not playing by myself, getting tools up would be a problem.

With respect to your pictures, the only things useful that I see are that horse and sheep pen... which has usefulness (though was it faster than the adobe oven base pen?).  And the pine floors around the farms.  Maybe the pine floors around the oven by the ponds help with organization, but they aren't going to heat anyone up.  The buildings for the other kitchen might become useful later... it's a risk.  The work hasn't done anything for anyone for quite a while, but could later on in the future.  I'm not saying you could have finished it.  I know I couldn't get the whole thing up without a bunch of help.  Anyways, thanks for sharing Pein.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-29 02:15:41)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-11-29 03:03:54

pein

I mean, considering that I arrived at 18 and was busy with kids until 36, those horses are huge. Since it improved the milkweed production, I arrived with 2 lassos, had to go around a big ice biome, and seen like 20 horses in huge north deserts so very optimal place for black race families.
My kids were the most useful resource I think, it went like 25 gens after, I brought all of them to the city I oculd actually not move from there a while, they didn't really gave a fuck that suddenly a black skin player comes into the city that far from civilization. they only had one girl but she was serious enough to raise kids.

I think that the excess adobe other than the kilns and oven (which require new investment each time people place it bad spot) should always go to horizontal adobe walls with boxes. Which you can only make now on sides if you skip out the top and every second tile, upgrade them first then do the rest of building so basically lot of planning, coop, and the smithing of lime first, possibly all adobe gathered.

adobe pen wasn't the most optimal, to this specific map, wasn't too much swamp around, but certainly made the upgrade and cleanup easier than fences do cause generally you can't get rid of that shitty fence pen ever, people always fix it.

Also I had to make pencil, accidentally earned the hot coals since my son told that he can't make paper, so I put on the bowl instead of telling him to, so I couldn't learn the stakes, so those extra floors got made much slower by telling a grandkid. I made a door and a few tiles, plus enough lime to plaster them all, it was a big boost to morale, you should never underestimate that, people werent suiciding and painted hats, cooked turkey and had fun.

Mediocre players got hero complex, that they need to do the smithing and the pies and the clothes cause that most visible. Veterans learn that the best use of time is manipulating everybody to do the things they want to do, horses do just that: people start mass-producing ropes. Helping out a mediocre smith can be faster than smithing yourself since they are bad at the prep work too not just the smithing. It's a short timeframe from needing a well to needing a cistern and people kinda always miss it. Having a well means you got some water, having a cistern means you can gather and store water, generally that brings more water. Bell town emptied 3 wells around it before the engine was ready and they still had no oil for a while, until I brought the Disco girls there.

Gotta ask yourself the question that is this a town you would like to be a baby? Got some clothes, some resources, lot of veterans prefer the potential over the wealth, I think most rpers and lazy players who want to be fully stacked at birth. You want to keep the veteran babies so they want to return.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-11-30 22:26:11

Bowser

Wait... Pein, did you Eve that town?  That's amazing if that's the case; it's great if you even just were the one to build it up.  Sorry for being offtopic, but my best experiences on OHOL so far were in that town.

Last edited by Bowser (2019-11-30 22:54:30)

Board footer