One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 21:40:49

Tipy

Well wine is never getting made

Man wine sounds like fun too bad it's never getting made. I mean it's useless and HARDER than oil lmao. You need copper wires to plant grapes, which not only are expensive but need newcommen which to be made requires family coorporation, too bad most towns are stuck with deep wells. Like why can't we just use use rope or thread. Ah I know so you are left on RNG about being born in a multi racial town how fun. Well sadly that's not even the worse part! You see we in OHOL are not some filthy barbarians that drink wine straight from a clay bowl (even tho the romans and medival people still did it) No no no we are civilized people that can't drink from anything but glass, heck we can't even pour the wine from the crock to the glass we require special bottles! And yet we still eat dirt plants (budrock)... Well hey it's an expansion for the tech tree like glass is getting more use. You know making glass was always such a pain in the ass but now thanks to Racism™ you can't even make it unless you are black! Oh but no worries you can always tRaDe cuz trade tottaly exists and adding racism tottaly made trade a thing! You know making wine will be such a blast! Let's focus only on the glass part and ignore grape and the copper wire for now. You will need to get on youe horse (oh wait right only blacks get horses so yeah you gotta walk on foot... that's gonna take a while) and go on searching for black family town! Well you have WALKED cuz no horse 20 years of your life (that's 20 minutes you are never getting back) and found a dry well with a marker leading to a well! that's great now you will find a town that MAY have blacks in it... oh the town is dead, welp carry on. Oh another town! And it has white people, great... Well that's gonna take a while and guess what there may not even be black families! But let's say it took you 40 years and you finally found a black family (Just think what you could have spend those 40 minutes irl, like learning a new skill, doing chores, exercising and getting fit, studying for that test or you know play something more fun than holding left click till you find a town). Now you just need to trade! Lol jk trade is not a thing like if you ask they would just give you glassworth and sand for free but you would need a way to talk to them... well you can use the newly added wine to get drunk and bypass the langauge barrier... wait that's what you are here for. Well you can always make translating magic paper I guess, so that's another 5 mins gone! (I hope you brought a knife to make paper with) so you get the glassworth and the sand and oh wait bowl of sand can't be placed... Yup you gotta export three sand pilles one by one on foot to your home town. Goog job! You got two of the raw ingrediants to make wine and it only took you your whole life! let's asume you got extreamly luck and was able to find a black town 5 mins by foot and your town has all the newcommen stuff and a water supply. Now all you have to do is is get copper, make a draw plate, make copper wires, plant grappes, make three Soda Lime Glass Batch (which is a pain in the ass not counting family specialization), make the bottle and a glass and voila! You got wine! All this work that probably spanned multiple lifetimes (even for a pro) just for a useless drink that makes you slur. Well it breaks the langauge barrier but if you have wine then you already have other ways of communication. Time well spend.

Pro Tip #1: If you bought the game from the website you can get a refund and spend that money on IRL wine and get wasted with you palls, more fun than wine in OHOL

Pro Tip #2: Making wine IRL is probably more possible and easy to do than in OHOL. (and way more profitable)

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#2 2019-11-26 22:02:13

Spoonwood

Re: Well wine is never getting made

Well in a post apocalyptic world full of 'modern' people trying to rebuild civilization from scratch, unlike older types of people who might have been wiser, it's possible, just possible that they can only go about certain things in the stupidest and silliest way possible.  Like maybe modern people are so dumb that they would have no clue as to how to use a clay bowl to drink wine.  Even the dumbass who is drinking wine from a clay bowl right now while reading this.  He would even forget that he once drunk wine from a clay bowl.  Or clay bowls would be so different that whatever wine is like, it wouldn't go in them.

Sorry Jason, I tried to assume the premise of your game on this one to contradict Tipy's argument.  I couldn't do it.  The game became even more absurd about modern people after the apocalypse.  They might not be as good as ancients in the event of a disaster.  But, I don't think that they are that stupid.  And i don't think that clay bowls, nor wine would change like that.  Especially since clay bowls can contain water.  Water and wine are both liquids.  And liquids can fill any old container.  Physics wouldn't change like that.  It's just too absurd.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-26 22:05:05)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-11-26 22:11:10

Grim_Arbiter

Wine is totally a drink of civilization, not a drink of barbarians. Thats why when you think of wine, you think of Greece, Rome, and the old holy churches. Is the bottle bit a little silly? Sure. Would I refund the game over it? Nah.

Glass got another use (doubt its going to be the last) and you only see the negatives? Also, the game got super easy, and the one difficult part of the game you now take this much offense to? It's not even a NEEDED item.

Who hurt you tipy?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-11-26 22:25:12

WomanWizard

Yeah, I think I'm putting the game on the backburner again for a while. Getting new content is no fun if I'm never going to get to play with it.

I was so excited when the rift was finally gone that I started playing again, but this past week I've been non-white only two times. Those two times I tried to play around with some of the racially locked content (and I'm sorry Jason, but locking content behind race is highly problematic and "predicting people would get offended" doesn't excuse it), but then I was back to being white on the next go with nothing new to play around with.

I'm bored of it. I'm bored of not being able to do anything interesting. I'm bored of making compost every life because it's all I'm good for as a white man. I'm bored of being in the same town over and over and over again because, I assume, it's the only town that's managed to advance far and fast enough to survive after the biome locks. I'm bored.

So yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on the game like I did over the summer and hope for some new content that will actually interest me, but this update isn't it. I love the concept of this game so so so much and want to play it, but... it's just getting more and more tedious to do regular things, which simply isn't fun.

#5 2019-11-26 23:15:08

antking:]#

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

. Is the bottle bit a little silly? Sure.

The bottle is ugly, but I guess it is hard to make clear glass on blank paper

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2019-11-26 23:17:46

Coconut Fruit

fk this family specialization shit.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2019-11-26 23:35:01

JasonY

I honestly like it, We weren't supposed to use bowls forever. Even though Jason got mad, He has listened to my feedback. It may seem like a side thing but it is at least advancement in diplomacy.

I also don't really mind the specialization stuff. It makes it harder to advance and the game more difficult. Before you could easily advance and have cities everywhere. Now we had One Central city with high-tech, It stood out against the other villages. People flocked to the megacity and it thrived.

Anyways like I said before, This is an advancement in diplomacy. Meaning their something before it, The hatchet is essential for the axe but once you have an Axe you no longer need it. The town lets us talk to each other and can make good roleplay.

And I'm glad to finally have tables.

Need Content

#8 2019-11-26 23:38:49

Spoonwood

WomanWizard wrote:

Yeah, I think I'm putting the game on the backburner again for a while. Getting new content is no fun if I'm never going to get to play with it.

I was so excited when the rift was finally gone that I started playing again, but this past week I've been non-white only two times. Those two times I tried to play around with some of the racially locked content (and I'm sorry Jason, but locking content behind race is highly problematic and "predicting people would get offended" doesn't excuse it), but then I was back to being white on the next go with nothing new to play around with.

I'm bored of it. I'm bored of not being able to do anything interesting. I'm bored of making compost every life because it's all I'm good for as a white man. I'm bored of being in the same town over and over and over again because, I assume, it's the only town that's managed to advance far and fast enough to survive after the biome locks. I'm bored.

So yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on the game like I did over the summer and hope for some new content that will actually interest me, but this update isn't it. I love the concept of this game so so so much and want to play it, but... it's just getting more and more tedious to do regular things, which simply isn't fun.

So, just so you know WomanWizard and everyone else, there don't exist race restrictions on low population servers (all servers, I think even bigserver2, though I'm not quite sure of it, are 'low pop' depending on their player count... I saw a video last week where Twisted ended up on server1, had the dropsy at the beginning of his life, and then didn't towards the end of his life since player count had dropped below 15).  You might be able to find some of the more advanced towns on a given server by running up and right towards their old spawns.  So, you might find some people who would help you to do this sort of stuff.  But, it's not all that reliable that anyone will be on servers 2-15.  If you start from scratch and know all of the steps, it will take a bit at least to get to the point where you can make the glass tech.  So, I can understand why people would avoid playing in that context.  Actually, remembering now, you once said on your stream WomanWizard that you had played low pop before, so I guess I didn't need to say all of that for you.  I'll leave it up though, in case it's useful to someone else.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2019-11-27 00:56:06

WomanWizard

Spoonwood wrote:

So, just so you know WomanWizard and everyone else, there don't exist race restrictions on low population servers (all servers, I think even bigserver2, though I'm not quite sure of it, are 'low pop' depending on their player count... I saw a video last week where Twisted ended up on server1, had the dropsy at the beginning of his life, and then didn't towards the end of his life since player count had dropped below 15).  You might be able to find some of the more advanced towns on a given server by running up and right towards their old spawns.  So, you might find some people who would help you to do this sort of stuff.  But, it's not all that reliable that anyone will be on servers 2-15.  If you start from scratch and know all of the steps, it will take a bit at least to get to the point where you can make the glass tech.  So, I can understand why people would avoid playing in that context.  Actually, remembering now, you once said on your stream WomanWizard that you had played low pop before, so I guess I didn't need to say all of that for you.  I'll leave it up though, in case it's useful to someone else.

I didn't really play on the low pop servers so much as I eve-chained a bit on one server to play with real life family. I also built up a small camp for a while but it lacked the parenting and community aspect of the game that I loved so much so I gave up on it. I like the main servers. I like being in a different situation every time, possibly ending up with a newbie child who needs my guidance to get by. I enjoyed the challenge we had with the newbie boom, though admittedly that one time I ran away from home because we had no water and then popped out twenty-one kids in my new home (most of them new) was a little overwhelming.

The low pop servers have definitely been tempting these past few weeks though.

But without the parenting, this game is basically a less interesting Don't Starve that forces you to die every hour. So why am I not just playing that game instead?

#10 2019-11-27 07:24:46

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

You're actually serious about this? I legit thought you were joking in Discord.

COPPER WIRE IS SO SIMPLE. It's one step more than Steel rods. Harder than oil? Do you even know how this fucking game works? Have you EVER made copper wire?

Copper wire: Smelt the copper, Heat it up and use it on a roller, Also make 2 steel rod for the drill and blow pipe, Lathe the thin steel rod, Put drill bit on, Drill blank blade, Put copper rods through the draw plate. Then the blow pipe which is just rolling a pipe, WHICH YOU PROBABLY HAVE EXTRA OF cause oil is so RNG
Seriously once you HAVE the plate it's easy as fuck to just roll out a bunch of copper rods, and make wire.

Oil requires an entire new core, which is an extra rubber more than wire, all the same parts as making the draw plate minus the drill, and Usually 10+ iron + MANY buckets of water and lots of charcoal. Plus you need an engine just to make use of it which is 30 iron just by itself.

You've all been BEGGING for content and higher tech stuff for MONTHS AND MONTHS and you finally get something with a little bit of tech behind it and you're all screaming and crying about it. You're all seriously pathetic. Get fucking good.

Yes this family restriction shit sucks and we all hate it, but make threads about THAT not wine.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2019-11-27 08:37:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not sure what you guys want here....

I've made wine from scratch in real life, and I made it just like it's made in the game, using a clay crock and glass bottles.  I didn't use a funnel, because I had a pyrex measuring cup with a spout that I used to fill the bottles.  More advanced than a glass funnel.

People have been asking for glass blowing and bottles forever.

The bottles will be used for other stuff besides wine in the future, like storing multiple bowls of salt, vinegar, palm oil, etc.

If you've been playing this game for a while, I hope you've come to notice and appreciate the somewhat realistic "maker" aesthetic in this game, where making something in-game feels somewhat akin to making something in real life.  This is unlike other crafting games where you take X wood and Y stone to make an axe.  In this game, you actually build the axe from scratch, step by step.

So I'm not sure how you were expecting to grow grapes and make bottles of wine in such a context.  Obviously, it was going to take dozens of new steps.

Same for pumpkin pie.  Were you expecting me to phone it in and just have PUMPKIN + PIE CRUST?

Surely you're joking, Mr. Tipy.  You have to cook the custard first, and it's going to require sugar.

#12 2019-11-27 09:00:46

Coconut Fruit

It's great you adding these things, we just sad that we can't use them on regular basis because of racial specializations.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#13 2019-11-27 09:16:44

Amon

I for one am quite excited. I live not only nearby orchards, but also vineyards and two of my uncles make alcohol.
The adition of pumpkinfoods is also pretty great.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2019-11-27 09:28:34

Tipy

jasonrohrer wrote:

I've made wine from scratch in real life, and I made it just like it's made in the game, using a clay crock and glass bottles.  I didn't use a funnel, because I had a pyrex measuring cup with a spout that I used to fill the bottles.  More advanced than a glass funnel.

The bottles will be used for other stuff besides wine in the future, like storing multiple bowls of salt, vinegar, palm oil, etc.

If you've been playing this game for a while, I hope you've come to notice and appreciate the somewhat realistic "maker" aesthetic in this game, where making something in-game feels somewhat akin to making something in real life.  This is unlike other crafting games where you take X wood and Y stone to make an axe.  In this game, you actually build the axe from scratch, step by step.

So I'm not sure how you were expecting to grow grapes and make bottles of wine in such a context.  Obviously, it was going to take dozens of new steps.

Same for pumpkin pie.  Were you expecting me to phone it in and just have PUMPKIN + PIE CRUST?

Surely you're joking, Mr. Tipy.  You have to cook the custard first, and it's going to require sugar.

Huh when did I even mention the pumpkin pie?

I mean you can probablt make a pumpkin pie with pie crest + pumpkin slices but idk any pumpkin pie recipes cuz where I leave we don't make pies. Tbh I don't have a problem with the pumpkin pie recipe minus the fact that only browns can do it.

I think you all missed my point my problem wasn't so much ''wine too complex to make'' but ''wine will never get made cuz family specialization KILLS complex recipies"
If the wine was added before the family specialization update I would have no problem with it, for a matter of fact it would have been fun to make!

However walking endlessly till I find the right town doesn't sound fun at all..
Like just finding a black town and communicating with them about giving me 4 sand pilles, 3 glassworth, one sulfur the going back and forth this town and my town cuz you can't store sand in a bowl in a cart...

Then you gotta find a brown familly and get latex + palm oil for the rubber stopper.

That's just the proccess of getting the RAW matterials for the glass and bottle and it took your whole life to do it (and walking endlesly without horses isn't fun at all)

While yes copper wire is easy to make you need newcommen gear, which in the meta of there being one or two centrals town who go past deep well while the others die hugging their deep wells cuz they weren't so lucky to have both a brown and black family nearby makes getting copper wire rather hard, and it's all factors outside your control.

Family specialization has killed: radios, tattoos, wine, cameras, and a BIG part of the small yum foods. All niche, fun gimmics that aren't very usefull (but verry fun to play with) and are rather expensive or hard to make. Family specialization has degresed the ammount of tech post deep well too. And what value did family specialization bring? It failed to grant us trade and culture and it killed a lot of stuff so why is it still around? Why do we have to wait another 6 months until you decide it's enough and remove it just like the rift?

In all honestly I would have been ok with it if it was more or less that let's say only browns can get tattoos but others can exchange favours with them to get a tattoo. The way it works is that browns can't get tattoos cuz they need salt water from gingers and gingers can't get tattoos because they need browns to make them so in the end nobody gets tattoos. 

I want if I get born as a brown to be like ''Oh cool I can make tattoos'' and not have to go on a 40 years voyage for salt water because no I won't do that for some useless tattoos.
I want if I get born was a black to be like ''Sweet I can make wine glasses and bottles!'' and not have to find a brown town to get the glasses done.
If I was a white person and I found a black town I want to be able to trade with them for their glasses and make wine myself but nope I can't because they don't have glasses, because they don't have the matterials needed to make the whole bottle.

When the resources for making something are spread among many races in the end nobody gets that thing

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#15 2019-11-27 09:52:20

voy178

I think it's great. Jason did well by adding this fluff because we need fluff sometimes to make the environment feel more alive. And the ability to stack the vegetable oils and that stuff in the future through the new bottles sounds like a wonderful thing. I can't wait.

#16 2019-11-27 09:58:24

sigmen4020

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Copper wire: Smelt the copper, Heat it up and use it on a roller, Also make 2 steel rod for the drill and blow pipe, Lathe the thin steel rod, Put drill bit on, Drill blank blade, Put copper rods through the draw plate. Then the blow pipe which is just rolling a pipe, WHICH YOU PROBABLY HAVE EXTRA OF cause oil is so RNG
Seriously once you HAVE the plate it's easy as fuck to just roll out a bunch of copper rods, and make wire.

I'm not sure if you've taken this into account, but you don't actually need to heat up copper bars in any capacity before making copper rods. You just put the cold copper bars through the roller and you get rods.

Maybe you are confusing it with zinc bars, which need to be heated up at hot coals before being made into rods.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#17 2019-11-27 10:09:04

miskas

I think people have to stop thinking Ohol as a single-player game, It is not a single player anymore.
Try to talk to others, see how you could co-operate to achieve what you want.

Yesterday my town needed oil, we found a ginger that was willing to do it, I was white and I wanted to help.
The guy grabbed a blank map, took our only parked horse and gone away alone to find a tarry spot from 0.
I myself searched around the village, read all the available maps we had, read about the two oil spots we had, found a free-roaming horse and gone check if the tarry spots had still oil.
Upon reaching the first spot I saw it had still oil. also had a horse parking fences, a small camp few tiles east to produce coal and a village west with a working rubber Newcomen pump.
Upon leaving the place I saw the Ginger guy still searching. I showed him that I know where oil is by reading the map and said to him to follow me. .
When we reached the place I said him that I am going to bring a rubber. gone back gathered 7 rubber , 1 full water bucket and brought them to him. For some reason, the guy all the time I was away instead of using the small coal camp nearby made a new klin in the snow next to oil but ok.
I dropped my staff out from the snow for him to grab them. then he gave me his empty horse and I went to the near village to grab water from newcomen.
I started a fire, filled it with charcoal and it was full of water again. But oops the village had no tank. so I grabbed 6 buckets gone to the ginger guy and asked him to take a tank to bring him water.
His response: Make yours, fuck off, you annoy me, leave before I bow you.
I said ok and left. Then I think I Gone all the way back to the village to find a tank. found 1, filled it with water and left it outside the snow biome for the rude ginger or anyone who would go to extract the oil again.

After a while, the ginger got back and I helped him fire the OIl to kero. When All tanks had been fired I asked him.
Why wouldn't you want to help you? He replied something like this is one man's job.
I said to him that he is uncooperative and stubborn or something
His reply was: this uncooperative guy just produced oil for days.  Diminishing all the help I gave him. Information, rubber and water.

If he had co-operated I could also provide the ginger with coal, make him more tanks, get All the oil from that rig but she just didn't want to play along, he wanted to play solo as much as possible.

Well if you are like this guy I pity you, you will not be able to find fun anymore.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-27 10:51:41)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#18 2019-11-27 12:03:42

Harmi

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think the problem in the current crafting system is that you always have only 1 option to do something when in real life you have multiple. For example, irl you can put the wine into the glass bottle, but glass bottles as an invention is quite new. The wine was not just some sort of "special feast drink", it was being consumed basically daily almost everywhere, in the days when the glass was rare. As far I've understood, the wine was not that kind of wine we nowadays have and call wine. The "good wine" was basically almost like grape juice, not very dense of alcohol. Then they had fermented "old wine", that was probably cheaper cause its more common and typically more for the drunkards. For example in Rome, the soldiers had their daily dose of wine from their government, which was typically cheap watered-down wine. Another old type of alcoholic drink was rum. Rum was being used in ships, cause it lasts for very long without going bad in wooden barrels. It could also be watered down.

Typically wine was being put into a wineskin and taken from barrels. Or something like that. Wine is one of the oldest known inventions. Together with for example cheese. Both are things that you don't need to invent very much. They just "happen" if you accidentally do certain things. (for example cheese will happen if you slaughter a calf and see what's in its stomach. (rennet)
You should be able to use normal wires and strings and if you for some reason want to be very special, you should also be able to use copper or, for the sake of memes, gold wires, I guess. There is nothing in wine that forces you to use copper in the making of process.

Also, I've also made several campfires from naturally dried dead wood from the forest, that I found just lying on the ground and no stone hatched or even ax was anywhere near. Only knife. (you can do it even without a knife) So I collected the wood, made kindling from the wood and set it on fire. Of course with modern fire-making tools, but there is nothing in the process that could prevent cave men also to be burning similar wood, made without a hatchet. You don't even need the fire drill.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9n9rqb-lvY& He is also in video firing a pot without using tongs. You can do the fire with just a stick and your hands. In real life, we can burn anything wooden. Furniture being one example. We can even burn wet wood if the fire already is going.

I know it adds little additional work for you if you have to draw new additional sprites to everything if different items are used. But I guess you could also do it in a way that you use the same sprites for the "key inventions" even when the item was crafted using 2 different tools. I don't see any reason to make the game overly complex to be played.

edit: And also, I like your game very much. I for sure think you've made something special in a good way. However, there always even in good things has some things that could be rounded.

Last edited by Harmi (2019-11-27 15:33:24)

#19 2019-11-27 13:17:41

StrongForce

Wine is too op if used without copper
One Glas gives 5 pips
One bottle has 4 glasses
On crock fills 3 bottles
One water and one shear use is needed for one crock of wine
60 pips for one bowl of water and one tool use!!

Lowering the pips per Glas would be funny cause you could do drinking contests hahaha

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-11-27 13:18:31)

Baby dance!!

#20 2019-11-27 13:23:09

voy178

StrongForce wrote:

One Glas gives 5 pips
One bottle has 4 glasses
On crock fills 3 bottles

Lowering the pips per Glas would be funny cause you could do drinking contests hahaha

I feel like if a civilisation manages to cultivate wine, they've earned the alleged 60 pip per bowl of water. Why would they do it otherwise? If anything the low-tech food should be worth less than high-tech food.

#21 2019-11-27 14:25:47

miskas

for any of you that thinks wine is OP, plz make milk...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 6&range=A2

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#22 2019-11-27 16:18:38

Spoonwood

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

You're actually serious about this? I legit thought you were joking in Discord.

COPPER WIRE IS SO SIMPLE. It's one step more than Steel rods. Harder than oil? Do you even know how this fucking game works? Have you EVER made copper wire?

Oil requires an entire new core, which is an extra rubber more than wire, all the same parts as making the draw plate minus the drill, and Usually 10+ iron + MANY buckets of water and lots of charcoal. Plus you need an engine just to make use of it which is 30 iron just by itself.

What you say about oil correct in terms of complication for it to become useful I agree.  However, to get the rig up you don't need a lathe.  Also, you said this:

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Then the blow pipe which is just rolling a pipe, WHICH YOU PROBABLY HAVE EXTRA OF cause oil is so RNG

So oil got done first?  But then functional wine would be later than oil.  And if so, then it's less accessible content.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2019-11-27 16:30:05

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Sure, that's how you design things.  But so what?  That doesn't mean it's coherent with the rest of the game.  That doesn't mean that modern people in a post-apoclyptic world would need to do things that way.  As the original post said and I tried to point out you've insisted on glass for wine.  But, clay bowls exist.  And real people made glass at early stages of technological development.  Modern people in a post-apocalyptic might just be able to make glass at an early stage of their civilization's development rather then later on.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-27 17:58:49)

Danish Clinch.

#24 2019-11-27 17:16:53

schmloo

jasonrohrer wrote:

And the current chemicals we have, for ...Chemistry?! Lots of failures and blowing things up accidentally through experimentation?!

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#25 2019-11-27 17:28:54

fug

StrongForce wrote:

One Glas gives 5 pips
One bottle has 4 glasses
On crock fills 3 bottles

It's 3 pips per glass
12 glasses per bottle
and 3 bottles per crock once easy mode comes off which means its 36 pips which gross at gooseberry speed without requiring the soil speed (well it's a little slower but still.)

It's definitely not op by any means considering you need a lot of resources (plants/glass/bottles) to really get anywhere on mass production. It's honestly easier to either kill a lamb OR make pumpkin pie (which is definitely much more op than wine by a long shot.)

jasonrohrer wrote:

Pumpkin pie is fine and even might be a little too good but its locked behind a certain race so that's more than okay. I think wine just suffers from the tedium of it only being able to be done in a top tech town (which there's likely only one or two on the server now with the race update) which means you can't ever do it unless that town has blacks at the moment.

It just feels bad having all these restrictions slapped on from previous updates then when we get some fresh new content you can't even do it whether you know how or not. I feel like this was just a meant to be a hiccup to getting to late game since you didn't want to move the cogs forward again. Can't have a stale late game if its much more difficult to get to the same exact spot most towns would reach a month ago.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer