One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 08:56:38

Lava

Way too many families

Currently sitting at ten families with 75 people. Really? Some of these families are literally two people and theyre causing towns to spread farther and farther apart. eves need to spawn closer to each other and the eve churn rate needs to be reduced to allow families to develop and find each other.

#2 2019-11-23 14:41:50

miskas

Re: Way too many families

Cities don't need more than 8 people to develop.
Fewer people means less food consumption and less water consumption.
more free time to improve infrastructure and tech.

A town can develop with only 1 pro player at a time, Am I right @Pein?

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-23 14:43:50)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-11-23 17:19:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

New Eve is spawned if:

1.  We ever get more than 13 people per fam, on average.

2.  There's ever more than 1 helpless BB per fertile mother on average.

I'm pretty sure 2 is causing the extra families currently.  I may need to adjust it to 1.5.  I think we had it at 2 for a while, and mothers still felt overloaded.

#4 2019-11-23 18:14:16

Kaveh

I think the overloaded feeling doesn't stem from having multiple babies at the same time (unless there's like 5 or something), but because of constantly having to take care of a baby. You can't get anything done like that.

If I'd get 3 babies, I'd much rather have them all at the same time than after each other. Basically: take care of 3 the babies for 3 minutes, then have 6 minutes of 'free' play time, instead of having 1 baby for 9 minutes straight. Those 6 minutes are very valuable to me. Nothing worse than having to take care of babies from 14 to 40 without a break to do what YOU want to do.

I personally do take care of all the babies if this happens (though I feel like there's no time to bond with my 3 y/o or take care of them if another baby pops out immediately), but this is exactly why some mothers ditch their babies at nurseries for other women to babysit, cuz they value the time more than they do the kid.

Only exception is early towns when there's little food to survive, cuz having multiple babies drains pips FAST.

Last edited by Kaveh (2019-11-23 18:14:42)

#5 2019-11-23 19:25:34

miskas

Give Priority of being born to a woman that is 20-25 years old
(after the weakest family is chosen, of course)

Age could be a factor for fertility.
This would somewhat give women more control over their birth periods

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-23 19:27:32)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2019-11-23 19:53:56

Kaveh

^ Yes please.

Teenage & late pregnancies would still be possible, but less likely depending on the other girls in your fam. Also would fix the issue of "my older sisters both got a lot of kids but I didn't get any sad". At some point it's YOUR turn :>

#7 2019-11-23 23:57:19

pein

while 1 player does everything generally and if you get back it's still at that stage, it would be nice to have like 12 people per town, that was like an ok amount that can be sustained by 2 active veterans

actually to make a town, you need maybe 2 players working together, a horse helps more than other randoms

perhaps my old idea that you need to upgrade a totem to give an area of effect bonus to a town around a well so the population is a resource you want to upgrade and have

right now the communistic utopia has all it's flaws and none of the advantages
people feel equal, some feel more equal than others. they take they steal, they are not forced to produce anything.
because time worth nothing without resources. because the "everything runs out"
people don't know what to do and how to do it, no quests, no way to sell the excess so work is tied to resources, and fun is tide to using resources not producing them, few exceptions are stew, loom clothes, planted trees and compost where you make some profit for work.
now if you could gather temporarily spawning items, or use your time to produce something from almost nothing, like making a tea from leafs and water, that would be a good use of time for newbies, do some work and help others whatever you do, not to depend on resources others gather from far away.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-11-24 00:13:37

Roblor

I've played less than ten lives this week, and in two of them the line ended with me because I never plopped anyone out.
during both these lives I was trying to spend some time by the fire with a +5 food bonus. It was the best I could do as neither of these lives took place within the established infrastructure of post-eve development.
Feels bad man

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

Board footer