One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 22:31:03

fug

Welcome to Snowdin!

Spent about five or six hours on this project with help from others such as Tipy. I'd like to thank Jason for the snow walls/buildings as honestly its been a blast putting together this little town.

HkzqaSb.jpg

The whole family ended up moving from the much bigger town over into Snowdin and its been great.

You have things such as:

A feeling of family: Since the buildings are where people concentrate you can basically see everyone and you're almost always within arms reach of another member of the small family we had living together. We have plenty of activities with rooms that each cater to something such as fishing, baking, shepherding, forging, and even a little family room.

Cozy aesthetic: Not going to lie, living in a little snow area with a warm fire and your family around feels good. You have chill activities like fishing to talk over and as long as the population doesn't boom into something fierce it just feels right. I know there's always been the problem of not having true family but this hit the nail on the head.

The only real cons is this takes some real time to set up plus mid game tools so unless you plan ahead or break away from another town its not really viable to set something like this up again in the future. We had to live off pond water + the (old) main towns water supply until everyone moved over into our much cozier town.

It's kind of funny how wrong you can be about some things. Igloos on paper looked to be silly and useless but when in action they're a fun addition to the game which breaks up the monotony of all the cities looking the same.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2019-11-21 23:07:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Welcome to Snowdin!

Nice!

Just wait until you can floor the ice hole in this week's update.

But where are my oriented walls?

I'm wondering... with the auto-orienting fence code working pretty well.... should it be applied to walls too?

I worry that it will be annoying sometimes, when players want to build certain walls for specific reasons.

Also, I'm not sure that it will work when different types of walls are next to each other.  Fences currently only recognize other fences...

I could make it general-purpose, so all walls and fences recognize the orientation of all others.

What do you think about this?  Have you experienced any problems with auto-orienting fences?

#3 2019-11-21 23:19:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I have auto-orienting walls working... very tempting to push it out...

Though it will interfere with "artistic" uses of wall orientation....

#4 2019-11-22 00:03:46

Kaveh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Have you experienced any problems with auto-orienting fences?

I don't think you can really prevent this but:

Build property fence

o <- me
+----------+
|          |
|          |
+----------+

put down my property fence sticks on the floor cuz I'm done, but instead it does this

| ö <- me (annoyed)
+----+-----+
|          |
|          |
+----------+

#5 2019-11-22 03:43:04

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

I have auto-orienting walls working... very tempting to push it out...

Though it will interfere with "artistic" uses of wall orientation....

Could you have them *default* to the right orientation, but still be changeable? I guess the problem would be preexisting walls still changing everytime you put something down.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#6 2019-11-22 03:43:37

Saolin

This is really cool.  I hope i find the opportunity to play a lot this weekend.

#7 2019-11-22 03:56:36

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It's seriously one of the best things I've seen in game in a while. You guys always kill it with these amazing projects

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2019-11-22 10:39:45

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm wondering... with the auto-orienting fence code working pretty well.... should it be applied to walls too?

I think the reason there are no oriented walls in this town is because some people (fug included) prefer the look of east-west walls, not because it's hard to orient walls. They're more chunky and you can't use the empty space anyways, so might as well fill it up with wall.

Orienting walls is super easy and I really doubt that it's a problem to anyone.

Personally whenever I build something I always use all three wall types, I'm not a fan of the east-west wall look. Even when building plaster buildings when it's the 'correct' decision to build east-west walls, I'll build Jason-intended walls instead.

#9 2019-11-22 10:46:20

MrShuriken

Lovely build, I applaud your efforts.
Sadly towns probs gonna die, as there's no way to keep a sufficient amount of water flow coming in, Only like a certain developer could add the ability to get fresh water from the ice cracks

#10 2019-11-22 10:48:57

Kaveh

Twisted wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I think the reason there are no oriented walls in this town is because some people (fug included) prefer the look of east-west walls, not because it's hard to orient walls. They're more chunky and you can't use the empty space anyways, so might as well fill it up with wall.

Orienting walls is super easy and I really doubt that it's a problem to anyone.

Personally whenever I build something I always use all three wall types, I'm not a fan of the east-west wall look. Even when building plaster buildings when it's the 'correct' decision to build east-west walls, I'll build Jason-intended walls instead.

Same here, I prefer using all three types

The east-west walls look like you could walk between em if placed above each other. You can't, but it feels like you can (knowing they're not that thicc).

Last edited by Kaveh (2019-11-22 10:49:13)

#11 2019-11-22 10:50:04

Gomez

cisterns and horse tire carts can bring in quite a bit of tank water from newcomen pumps. looks really cool!

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-22 10:50:32)

#12 2019-11-22 10:57:55

fug

Made another snow village if you're in the ginger lineage village go something like 180 east and like 250 north and you'll find the old Dobbie village which connects by road to the new arctic village.

4mGPts7.png

It's honestly a shame these aren't viable for early game as they're a lot of fun to make + they look nice in general.

MrShuriken wrote:

Lovely build, I applaud your efforts.
Sadly towns probs gonna die, as there's no way to keep a sufficient amount of water flow coming in, Only like a certain developer could add the ability to get fresh water from the ice cracks

All towns die if they don't get passed the newcomen tech due to lack of water. Even if both towns die and are lost its about having fun building and sharing something special with the people who get born there. Fun > Max efficiency.

And of course thanks to anyone who stopped by and gave a helping hand.

Last edited by fug (2019-11-22 10:58:47)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2019-11-22 11:04:11

MrShuriken

Alright them xD
Again, thanks for the lovely build, I really hope Jason sees how fun it would be to have a really stupidly fleshed out early game, with different starts to the tech tree, that could still lead to the same final one, just would have different looks to villages.
Have a good one Fug

#14 2019-11-22 11:29:01

Spoonwood

As much as I like this aesthetic, I have to say that I feel these aren't towns or villages, but rather outposts.  An almost empty smithy?  No kiln in a town?  Even if a great water source existed in a place like this, there's still other things lacking.  Minimizing the need for smith work and clay firing is one thing.  There's value in that.  But, I think you took things lower than that, so this isn't a town.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#15 2019-11-22 12:43:09

voy178

I enjoyed Snowdin. It was such a nice family experience. It's a shame it was so perfect that there very little left to do for beginners (of which there were many) and so it was basically just farming trees and more advanced stuff like getting oil.

#16 2019-11-22 15:36:53

denriguez

Am I the only one who's curious about the mysterious green orb? Am I missing something obvious?

Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-10-35-19-AM.png

It's hard to tell, but it also looks like it's in your pack in the second screenshot. TELL THE PEOPLE ABOUT THE ORB

Last edited by denriguez (2019-11-22 15:40:03)

#17 2019-11-22 15:49:59

Wuatduhf

denriguez wrote:

Am I the only one who's curious about the mysterious green orb? Am I missing something obvious?

https://i.ibb.co/GFsfZFy/Screen-Shot-20 … -19-AM.png

It's hard to tell, but it also looks like it's in your pack in the second screenshot. TELL THE PEOPLE ABOUT THE ORB

It's a sprite edit to make them easier to find.

#18 2019-11-22 15:51:26

denriguez

Ah, gotcha. I've played vanilla since day 1.

#19 2019-11-22 16:00:00

arkajalka

snowducktrap

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#20 2019-11-23 02:29:13

ShekelCorp

I 'member spawning here. Was a nice little city.

Board footer