One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 20:25:26

kaidu

Not very accessible for new players

Hi,

I bought the game yesterday and really enjoy the idea and concept of the game. However, it is really hard for new players to settle in.

Don't get me wrong: I have no problems reading a bit in the forum, in the wiki and so on. And I did so before starting the game. But this teaches you just the basics. The problem is: People in the game do nothing to help you. If you ask how you can help, you are just insulted as noob. I know, the game is on steam sales and now many new players rush the game. But while I'm new to this game, I'm not stupid. If somebody just explain me what to do, I can figure out the rest myself. And it often takes only a minute to teach new players. If people tell me: "plant carrots!", then I can open the techtree and figure out how to do that. But even this single sentence is often too much. In fact, people rather spend minutes to blame people for being noob, instead of helping.

Blaming somebody for beeing new is stupid anyways. If it is necessary to watch hours of lets play videos before starting the game, you can say that in a  kind way.

But my understanding of the game, based on its mechanics, is that old people are responsible for teaching the new ones. Thats's the reason for old people to be able to write long chat messages. But nobody seem to take care of new players.

It is also a very stupid strategy to do so: if nobody tells new players what to do, they start doing something therself, like taking some tools, standing in the smith, using a bow to hunt animals and accidentally kill other people. Actually, I guess most "griending" is done by new players who just don't know what to do. So spending a few minutes for new players might be a smart strategy to avoid griending.

The problem is also, that people not only expect from you to understand the rules of the game, but also to know the implicit rules. Things that are not part of the game mechanics, but which evolved over time by the community. These things are not written in tutorials. You might learn them when watching lets play videos on youtube. I never watched lets play videos. I find it stupid to watch hours of videos to be "allowed" to play a game. And I find it sad, because the game could be much more fun for everyone, if we would communicate more.

#2 2019-11-21 20:39:02

QuirkySmirkyIan

Re: Not very accessible for new players

we were never taught we figured it out ourselves and I do teach people sometimes its just so impractical and inefficient to teach people in game. The tech tree is your best option.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#3 2019-11-21 20:42:23

QuirkySmirkyIan

but if you want to twin i will twin with u and ill personally teach u anything

#4 2019-11-21 20:46:50

Twitchi

You have to just be patient and find the right teachers/town/mom.

Today I was in 2 towns. First I was born a mother who seemed new, and was in a down with people fighting with each other. I took an arrow to the chest, while working the farm, by twin griefers and so did many others.
Second life I was born to a mother who seemed new. I male character fed and raised me. I then went on to teach a handful of new players how to make pies, the different kinds of pies there are, and more.

If is stressful at first, but then it will get easier, and soon you can also become the teacher of others... a type of player we very much need and want in the game.

#5 2019-11-21 20:47:54

kaidu

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

we were never taught we figured it out ourselves

I would have no problems with that. That's how I like to play games. But obviously, you cannot survive alone. I would be already happy if people tell me what they need. Like for example: "kill some rabbits, make clothes". Then I have an task and can figure out how. And next time I know how and will be faster. But every time you start the game, you start it in a very different village in a very different state and with different needs.

Just an example how ridiculous it is sometimes: Every game I was in a village with a well. Now, again I started in a village where nobody talks and everyone is just doing something, ignoring all new players. So I thought I could help by watering some of the plant fields which where dry. But turned out that there is no well in the village. So I asked around: "where is the well? How can I get water without well?". It is such an easy question, it takes a few seconds to answer. But nobody is answering. I figured it out myself. But it is frustrating, because it seems that this game is not about communication and teamwork at all neutral

#6 2019-11-21 20:50:37

Spoonwood

Thank you sharing your experience with this community.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-11-21 20:55:22

The_Anabaptist

kaidu wrote:

Hi,

I bought the game yesterday and really enjoy the idea and concept of the game. However, it is really hard for new players to settle in.

Don't get me wrong: I have no problems reading a bit in the forum, in the wiki and so on. And I did so before starting the game. But this teaches you just the basics. The problem is: People in the game do nothing to help you. If you ask how you can help, you are just insulted as noob. I know, the game is on steam sales and now many new players rush the game. But while I'm new to this game, I'm not stupid. If somebody just explain me what to do, I can figure out the rest myself. And it often takes only a minute to teach new players. If people tell me: "plant carrots!", then I can open the techtree and figure out how to do that. But even this single sentence is often too much. In fact, people rather spend minutes to blame people for being noob, instead of helping.

Blaming somebody for beeing new is stupid anyways. If it is necessary to watch hours of lets play videos before starting the game, you can say that in a  kind way.

But my understanding of the game, based on its mechanics, is that old people are responsible for teaching the new ones. Thats's the reason for old people to be able to write long chat messages. But nobody seem to take care of new players.

It is also a very stupid strategy to do so: if nobody tells new players what to do, they start doing something therself, like taking some tools, standing in the smith, using a bow to hunt animals and accidentally kill other people. Actually, I guess most "griending" is done by new players who just don't know what to do. So spending a few minutes for new players might be a smart strategy to avoid griending.

The problem is also, that people not only expect from you to understand the rules of the game, but also to know the implicit rules. Things that are not part of the game mechanics, but which evolved over time by the community. These things are not written in tutorials. You might learn them when watching lets play videos on youtube. I never watched lets play videos. I find it stupid to watch hours of videos to be "allowed" to play a game. And I find it sad, because the game could be much more fun for everyone, if we would communicate more.

Kaidu,

I would recommend acting as a prep cook.  In that, don't look for a job that nobody is doing.  But rather, look for somebody already doing a task, and then find a way to aid them.  If they are cooking or smithing, there is always a demand for sticks to be brought and made into kindling.  Or if somebody is prepping pies, you could focus on running bowls of wheat to that part of town, or even going so far as grinding it into dry flour.  Bowls of berries + carrot are needed for so many jobs, your job could just be making as many of them as possible.  Or simply running around town collecting discarded plates and bowls and returning them to needed areas. 

If you show that you can be useful, you are more likely to be treated as an apprentice.

The_Anabaptist

#8 2019-11-21 20:56:24

Twitchi

Don't forget. You are also playing around with other very new players. A huge influx of new players from the steam sale

Last edited by Twitchi (2019-11-21 20:57:07)

#9 2019-11-21 20:59:27

DestinyCall

There are good teachers in this game and also plenty of bad ones.  I'm sorry that your experience has been negative so far.   Trust me when I say there are people who are willing to teach.  Finding them when you need them can still be a major problem.   I'd also say that some of our best players are sometimes not that good at passing on what they know, because they are too focused on doing everything they can to keep the village alive.   It is not really an excuse, but if the first person you ask isn't helpful, keep trying.   

First, try your mom.   If she is a decent mother (or cares about her genetic score), she will want to give you what help she is able to provide.   Keep in mind, she might also be brand new and feeling overwhelmed.   Or she might be burnt out from teaching too many people and can't drum up any compassion.   If your mother fails you, look for an elder or a male.   As the elder for help or ask the man if you can help with his work.   Let them know that you are new and want to learn.   Hopefully, someone will rise to the challenge.   

Most importantly, if you find someone who is willing to help ... remember to eat!   I lost so many students before I started giving this advise and providing them with food sources.   Veterans forget that new people don't have zoom mod and don't know what all the foods look like.   It is easy to forget about your hunger drain while learning.

#10 2019-11-21 21:05:01

Greenwood

It'll settle down once the new player influx starts getting to grips with the game. As it stands, many parents are having dozens of new kids, and teaching them all can be overwhelming. However, there are those out there willing to be good teachers. If you find yourself lacking a sense a community then you can always try creating one with other new players. Greet citizens in the street, learn the names of your family and keep up to date with the town leadership. Doing those three things will usually guarantee a fairly well-connected life. You might even develop a few lifetime friends XD.

#11 2019-11-21 21:35:36

Gomez

It is distressing how often communication is flat out ignored in this game....I get get cursed for repeating myself after no acknowledgement tbh...seriously.

helpful players are out there just few and far between, plus given the one hour nature of a lifespan players are often too involved in their own projects to stop and smell the roses so to speak.

I've had a few starve while I'm teaching them perhaps I should include a beri bowl with all lessons. LOL

Greenwood, getting to know villagers is a major thing we haven't been doing as a player base that a great point. Know thy neighbor?

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-21 21:39:20)

#12 2019-11-21 21:56:18

mensrea

The current design of the game is not nearly as conducive to learning as it once was. Two things are a major problem, one compounding the other. First, the tool update limits anyone in their experimentation. For example, learning newcomen technology is much more difficult than before. After you have used the basic smith tools you don't have many slots left. Especially if you end up trying to use hot coals, bake something, make kindling, use a smith hammer, etc. When I'm trying to make an engine, I may be able to use one or at most two newcomen attachments. In a new town prior to the tool update, I'd normally use five attachments the first time we're making newcomen: hammer, roller, bore, lathe, and drill. That's a lot of tool slots alone. It's now possible to do only part of an engine unless you have able help. Where it used to be asking others to make valves to save on buckets of water, it's now asking others for their tool slot while you are hands off.

Finally, the new class-based biome restrictions limit learning. Before I could hunt down all the components for rubber, cook them up, and install a seal. If I wanted to make french fries or chips I'd go to the jungle to obtain palm kernels, plant the potato, shovel up the potato, use a knife, use hot coals, etc etc. Now if you're lucky you're in a town with kernels sitting around and you can use all of your tool slots making french fries. If you're not lucky, you probably can't learn to make french fries.

It works the same way with radio components. Unless you're the desert class, it's very difficult to gather parts for a radio. And making something you need four of like zinc rods requires many of your tools, leaving you unable to do much else.

In many cases you may start a project with plenty of say, kindling. Then you work and use up all your tool slots. You find that you now need more kindling but it's all used and you have no slots for an axe or hatchet. If you can't find anyone to convince to help, it can be frustrating.

I'm not expressing an opinion of overall positive or negative about these mechanics. But without any doubt it makes learning and teaching by example hard.

#13 2019-11-21 23:00:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Best shorthand I've found is "JOB?"

Just go around asking that.  You'll eventually get an answer from someone.

The reason this is so effective is that it doesn't demand a long response, and is less demanding than "teach me, please."  It also doesn't necessarily imply that you're new.  Even expert players want to find a job that's not already being done.

Anyone with half a brain would jump at the chance for free labor from you.  I know I would.

#14 2019-11-21 23:35:04

Kaveh

There's definitely people who like to teach- I'm one of them! I always try to tell people what needs to be done and if they want to learn something I'm there to help them out ('follow after me'-style, if I have the tool slots).
I also feel the statement 'We were never taught' isn't true for everyone at all, since I learned a lot in game by having people show or tell me how it's done. Nobody will teach you if you don't ask, but if you do, a lot of them WILL.

The only thing I disagree to in your message, however, is that 'it only takes a minute to teach'. Teaching generally takes a lot of effort, with clumsy kids trying to figure out whether they need to left or right click something, trying it in the wrong spot, etc. A lot of things (even planting carrots) also require extra knowledge beyond what's obvious on onetech, in this case that it's necessary to harvest them before they grow seeds but also that you need to keep some of those seeds to plant more later. Even simple things require some extra explanation. Don't expect just anyone to be able to teach you at any time, they're often busy- ask someone else.

Something that helps is asking people to teach you something they're currently doing, or just watching them while they do it. Some people find it hard to drop whatever they're doing to help out a newer player. Another piece of advice: ask your mom. She's more likely to care than any other player.

Anyway, that's the NORMAL situation.

Right now, however, there are so many newer players that a lot of veterans are working really hard to keep the town alive and therefore don't have a lot of time to teach, nor talk to you. The added stress of an entire village depending on THEIR skill can also get people a bit annoyed. Give it a few days, and I'm sure you'll find some people ready to teach!

#15 2019-11-22 00:02:56

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I remember back when the game was mostly "naked desert dwellers", I had my child ask me that, and I suggested that she, I think the character was a she, build a stone road between the water sources and the crops.  She did so, it looked ok from a glance to my eyes (might have been wrong on that... the stone road might have been to close to the crops or could easily get made close to the crops), and I said good job to her later on.  I then got cursed by someone nearby.  I don't remember anything else that happened that life.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-22 00:14:08)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2019-11-22 00:08:07

Coconut Fruit

I see buch of newbies doing nothing and I would really like to tell them what to do, but I realize they won't know how to do anything, so...
Last update made it that we need other families to upgrade the well, upgrading the well is the main goal, but there is no way to explain how to do it to newbiess and how they could help in doing it.
With no water we lose motivation to teach newbies, because most things requires water.

kaidu wrote:

And I find it sad, because the game could be much more fun for everyone, if we would communicate more.

So true. This game would be so fun with family general chat. I can imagine how cooperative it would become, even for newbies. To me this one little thing would turn this game into 10/10.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#17 2019-11-22 00:30:34

QuirkySmirkyIan

kaidu wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

we were never taught we figured it out ourselves

That's how I like to play games. But obviously, you cannot survive alone. neutral

Actually its extremely easier to survive on your own and you will do better own your own. There is a good chance I will be going back to a small server to play with a group of friends soon.

#18 2019-11-22 00:34:54

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Practice by yourself on a low population server. It really helps learn the stuff with low stress. You can choose a custom server in the "settings" from the menu. Check the box that says "Use Custom Server" and then in the address box type in the address for the server. Usually something like " server#.onehouronelife.com " with the # being the number of the server you want to join. Make sure the port number is "8005". Then you just back out, and click log in and you'll be born as an Eve on your server of choice! Now, this is where it gets more complicated. To RETURN to where you die in the custom server you have to live to 60, and place a home marker. check onetech to figure out how to do that https://onetech.info/

You can see custom servers and their population here: http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#19 2019-11-22 00:53:12

MapleSugar

I'll teach you if you say "I'm new"!

Sorry my poor english.
---  ....  ---  .-..

#20 2019-11-22 01:26:45

pein

There is bad attitude from new players too. My daughter just ran around with bow and arrow, being the last girl on the new camp I led us to. Now I hid all bows and arrows behind trees then somehow got her attention making a small room which was already started, but she kept running around, risking her life for something that wasn't important and ignoring me in the process.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2019-11-22 02:25:41

Saolin

Aww, I would have taught you sad

Last edited by Saolin (2019-11-22 02:26:24)

#22 2019-11-22 04:29:21

happynova

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

we were never taught we figured it out ourselves and I do teach people sometimes its just so impractical and inefficient to teach people in game. The tech tree is your best option.

Speak for yourself!  I was taught lots, and I'm still very grateful for it.  I try to teach others whenever I can.

But sometimes it's really, really hard to teach, even when you very much want to.  It's settled down some now, fortunately, and I've been able to give new players some good attention.  But during the first day of the current Steam influx, it was just impossible.  Too many newbie babies coming in a steady stream, too much running around trying desperately to keep everyone from starving and then starving anyway. 

To kaidu, I would say this:  There's never any excuse for berating people for being new or not having enough experience to know how to do things.  There are, of course, always jerks who will do that anyway.  There are also people who are happy to teach.  But if everyone seems to be ignoring you when you ask to learn, it may be that they're desperately busy trying to solve a crisis you might not even have the experience to realize exists, or they might be new themselves and not know how to help you or have any idea what the answer to your question is.  It's also disturbingly easy in this game to get hyper-focused on what you're doing and not even notice when somebody is talking to you.  (Or sometimes even to notice when you just had a baby, LOL.)

If you get brushed off, please keep trying.  The next person you ask might be more helpful, or the next life might be better suited for learning opportunities.

This can get frustrating and requires a bit of patience.  But a certain amount of patience and ability to deal with frustrating situations is honestly probably a requirement for enjoying this game, anyway.  It does generally pay off, and the feeling of accomplishment when you get some good instruction and master a new skill is, I think, worth it.

I do agree, though, that people can often be good about teaching the "how" of crafting stuff and neglect the more meta aspects of how things are done.  I try, when I can, to give newbies little lectures about things like which tasks are most important, what kinds of pies to make, proper sheep-shearing etiquette, etc.

#23 2019-11-22 04:51:06

happynova

jasonrohrer wrote:

The reason this is so effective is that it doesn't demand a long response, and is less demanding than "teach me, please."  It also doesn't necessarily imply that you're new.  Even expert players want to find a job that's not already being done.

Anyone with half a brain would jump at the chance for free labor from you.  I know I would.

I dunno.  To me the "JOB?" question always pretty much screams "newbie."  Expert players are good at just looking around and deciding what needs to be done and generally don't need to ask (or don't think they do, at least).  And it seems like almost every time a kid says it, if I reply with "OK, do you know how to do X?" the answer is "no."   And then we have to have a long frustrating conversation in which I try to assess their skill levels and try not to express my internal snarky thoughts about why you'd even ask what needs doing if you can't do any of it anyway.  Personally, I'd just rather they ask to be taught something if they want to learn. 

(Unless it's an Eve camp, in which case, congrats, newbie, you are now the settlement's official collector of wild food and/or branches for kindling, and bless you forever if you manage to haul a bunch of that stuff back without starving to death.)

But that may just be me.

#24 2019-11-22 05:12:54

Stoop Kid

happynova wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I dunno.  To me the "JOB?" question always pretty much screams "newbie."  Expert players are good at just looking around and deciding what needs to be done and generally don't need to ask (or don't think they do, at least).  And it seems like almost every time a kid says it, if I reply with "OK, do you know how to do X?" the answer is "no."   And then we have to have a long frustrating conversation in which I try to assess their skill levels and try not to express my internal snarky thoughts about why you'd even ask what needs doing if you can't do any of it anyway.  Personally, I'd just rather they ask to be taught something if they want to learn. 

(Unless it's an Eve camp, in which case, congrats, newbie, you are now the settlement's official collector of wild food and/or branches for kindling, and bless you forever if you manage to haul a bunch of that stuff back without starving to death.)

But that may just be me.

I automatically assume anyone saying, "JOB?" is a noob. Anytime I've ever told them something that's needed, I get an "IDK HOW" back. Like you said, actual veteran players already know what needs to be done and anyone asking "JOB?" will not be the one who will be able to do it

#25 2019-11-22 05:36:33

DestinyCall

Stoop Kid wrote:

I automatically assume anyone saying, "JOB?" is a noob. Anytime I've ever told them something that's needed, I get an "IDK HOW" back. Like you said, actual veteran players already know what needs to be done and anyone asking "JOB?" will not be the one who will be able to do it

Yep, asking for work pretty much always marks someone as a brand new or mostly new person.   I'm always flustered when my children asks me this question, because I'm either knee-deep in babies and I've lost track of the village's immediate needs OR I'm in the middle of five different projects and a new "helper" would just slow me down.  Maybe I could use an extra pair of hands, but it would take me ten times longer to explain how to make compost rather than just doing it myself while also baking pies, growing wheat, and shearing sheep.   There is never a shortage of work in any village, so if you know how to do more than water berries, you can pretty much always find a job without asking anyone for an assignment.   If you do ask for a job, it almost always indicates that you have a lot of knowledge gaps that need to be filled in.

That being said .. everyone must start somewhere.  Don't be afraid to ask.   I don't always have a good answer when I'm asked for a job, but I can usually come up with SOMETHING.   My favorite used to be "go hunt rabbits".   It is a moderately challenging task that also brings food and clothing to the village.   Many new players will struggle with it because it requires leaving the safety of the village, but it doesn't take that long to explain the basics and many people find the challenge enjoyable. Sadly, the recent changes to rabbit hunting make it much more tedious and harder to teach.

Board footer