One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 17:18:41

DestinyCall

Baby Limit

Would it be possible to put a lifetime cap on how many babies you can have as a single mother?

Like instead of birthing legions, you could have up to ten babies in your forty minutes of fertility.   That's an average of one baby every four minutes.    More than enough for one mom to handle.

If all mothers have hit their birthing limits, new Eves would spawn to increase the mother supply and spread out the babies.

#2 2019-11-20 17:57:21

Ari-ori-412

Re: Baby Limit

And maybe half of the babies could be boys and the other half girls for realistic population balance

heck it could even be a pattern (eg, girl, boy, girl and so on)

having a birth cap would spread out the kids more because ive had a few times when my sisters are getting flooded with kids while ive had none at all

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#3 2019-11-20 18:44:39

Gomez

I think a one minute internal cooldown on spawning players would do the trick.  Would cap children at 25?  Cooldown triggered when baby turns one to prevent suiciders causing infertility

Would also insure an eve never had more than three helpless children. Not counting twins which are pretty uncommon.

edit I believe Jason also likes problems clearly stated before the community begins brainstorming technically challenging solutions heh. 
  So problem is baby spam?

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 18:48:06)

#4 2019-11-20 18:48:13

DestinyCall

No, the gender distribution is intentionally weighted to keep families alive longer.   That does not need to change.   50/50 is not as important as having at least one girl at all times.

If you are birthing all girls, that is a huge warning sign that your family is almost dead.   If you are birthing boys, then your family is healthier.   It works better than letting RNG kill your family because the coin lands on heads five times in a row.

#5 2019-11-21 01:50:25

pein

well my original suggestion was to have 3 girls at least then recompensate with boys

in the rift and outside worked nicely, griefers couldn't kill families cause of that, heck I even tried on one arc and one single female slipped trough and all our efforts were wasted, and I knew each bigger camp, well location,  and we had a search party, so that means its very hard to kill off a family. 6 per fam was too much, and not sure how it works after that, if it's coin toss then it's not ideal.

I remember the lives where I did the grind, making pen, getting iron, doing all tools, making mine then still it died out, next life same thing. Trust me, it's better to have overpopulation then to do everything right but no one to be there when you die.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-11-21 02:29:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Is there still a baby overload?

Can you link me to an example life in the family tree?

Here's a recent Eve who had only four babies:

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5519645

I played myself today and had a reasonable number of babies...

#7 2019-11-21 02:55:28

DestinyCall

I'm not just thinking about our current baby explosion.   I'm thinking about general quality of life enhancement during any random fluctuation in player population.   This is hardly the first time this has happened.

Twenty, thirty, forty babies ... that is too much for my hips to handle.   I feel like there should be an upper limit.   A baby ceiling, if you will.

#8 2019-11-21 03:06:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeahbut... I adjusted some parameters today to prevent this from happening.

Is it still happening?

Who had 20 babies today?

#9 2019-11-21 04:16:20

DestinyCall

I've been at work all day, so I have no idea if the situation is better.     I find myself exceeding double digits again, I'll let you know.

Board footer