One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-18 09:35:26

miskas

How do you parent children? this is my way.

hi bb.
Do you have Zoom mode? (if answers no, then)
Do you know OneTech? (if answers no, then)
Do you know to use a backpack?

-I always tell my kids to carry a pie in BP and I give them a berry bowl full of wild berries and instruct them to always have it with or near them and eat from it till they get older.

-I always try to find a backpack for them and I tell them to find/make clothes

-I always tell noob kids to download a zoom mode to enjoy the game

I really believe that the OneTech link has to be in the game main menu rather only in the forum and a small zoom must be in the vanilla version. 
Player retention Would be a lot better if people knew about one tech and zoom mode, People must know that Vanilla and tooltip is not their only option.
Especially now that we need to Travel to survive and the map seed is crap, play with vanilla is the worst experience you could have.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 09:41:13)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-11-18 09:46:11

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: How do you parent children? this is my way.

I totally agree about onetech. It NEEDS to be inside the game somewhere. No new players know about it at all.

Also I do the same with the zoom out mod. I tell them about it and say to check the discord or Reddit for the link and how to download it. I've only helped 2 people download one so far, but that's better than nothing. It's sad how important it is. Finding another family on default zoom? Good luck. Twisted gets lost 5 steps out of town.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2019-11-18 09:56:13

Dodge

Nice immersion...

#4 2019-11-18 09:58:48

Lum

Please, why would you advise children to have full pies in their backpacks? Pies are for public use by yumming adults, not for personal pip filling.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#5 2019-11-18 10:08:38

DestinyCall

If you are eating pies for yum, then you are doing it wrong.   Mutton pies are the way to go.   

Those are perfectly fine for kids, adults, or elders.  Highly efficient and staple diet for OHOL villagers on the go.     A pie in the backpack saves lives.

#6 2019-11-18 10:50:11

Coconut Fruit

I do exactly the same, maybe not in that order.
I tell brand new players that basics are farming cooking and smithing, they should learn these in first place. I show them a kitchen and tell them to take a pie and eat it whenever hungry, I also show them they can eat stew and milk, it's not so obvious. If I'm in teaching mood then I teach them how to farm and cook (There were only few brand new players that already knew these 2 and wanted to learn smithing). Farming starts with soil so I tell them to make a compost, I tell them what to do, never do it for them. Once they made compost, I ask them to make another by themselves - they usually remember all steps, it's easier to remember steps if they do them instead of showing them. Then I tell them how to use soil, plant some wheat for learning purposes. I tell them that they can plant everything on deep rows, just need seeds and then water. I tell them to note site onetech.info where they can find how to get different seeds and all recipies for everything, note it because they will use it often. Once they learnt farming I show them how to cook, since they already know about wheat and sheep and how to use water, teaching cooking pies takes only few moments. Then I tell them to download a zoom mod after they die, because I feel like this game is a pain without a zoom mod. Specifically awbz mod, because it's easy to find and it's very minimalistic, it's a great start. I use hetuw but I don't tell them about it because this mod could be too overhelming for brand new players. I often hear I'm a great teacher big_smile But I'm rarery in a mood for teaching. When I'm not in a mood for teaching I just tell them about it and tell them that they can find all recipies on onetech.info and they can learn with it by themselves, and tell them to download awbz mod because this game is a pain without a zoom mod.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2019-11-18 11:39:21

miskas

Dodge wrote:

Nice immersion...

yeap. Tell Jason

Lum wrote:

Please, why would you advise children to have full pies in their backpacks? Pies are for public use by yumming adults, not for personal pip filling.

did you miss the wild berries bowl part? ( also yuming is for pros I will not teach a noob to do things that don't have the experience to do yet)

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 11:58:11)

Food value stats

#8 2019-11-18 11:42:48

Dodge

miskas wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Nice immersion...

yeap. Tell Jason

Lum wrote:

did you miss the wild berries bowl part?

Jason made a zoom mod? i didn't know...  roll

#9 2019-11-18 11:52:39

miskas

The immersion is lost cause I have to treat every vanilla and noob user as a "special" child.
A child that has short eye vision (vanilla screen) and learning difficulties (tooltip). And I can't know if they are special if I don't ask them.
I want my children to survive and I wanna know if they need help.
I would stop asking them if Jason had made it obvious in-game menu that there are the one tech and mods alternatives. 
The only he has to do is put a one-tech link in-game menu and give a very little zoom to vanilla so they are not blind to their surroundings.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 11:54:34)

Food value stats

#10 2019-11-18 11:52:49

The_Anabaptist

miskas wrote:

hi bb.
Do you have Zoom mode? (if answers no, then)
Do you know OneTech? (if answers no, then)
Do you know to use a backpack?

-I always tell my kids to carry a pie in BP and I give them a berry bowl full of wild berries and instruct them to always have it with or near them and eat from it till they get older.

-I always try to find a backpack for them and I tell them to find/make clothes

-I always tell noob kids to download a zoom mode to enjoy the game

I really believe that the OneTech link has to be in the game main menu rather only in the forum and a small zoom must be in the vanilla version. 
Player retention Would be a lot better if people knew about one tech and zoom mode, People must know that Vanilla and tooltip is not their only option.
Especially now that we need to Travel to survive and the map seed is crap, play with vanilla is the worst experience you could have.

The conversation should go:

Hi Bby.
Do you want to die?
Then you should get the Zoom mod.
Then you should read OneTech.
Then you will know to get a backpack if I haven't already given you one.
Oops, I've already had another kid, now off you go!

The_Anabaptist

#11 2019-11-18 11:58:10

Dodge

miskas wrote:

The immersion is lost cause I have to treat every vanilla and noob user as a "special" child.
A child that has short eye vision (vanilla screen) and learning difficulties (tooltip). And I can't know if they are special if I don't ask them.
I want my children to survive and I wanna know if they need help.
I would stop asking them if Jason had made it obvious in-game menu that there are the one tech and mods alternatives. 
The only he has to do is put a one-tech link in-game menu and give a very little zoom to vanilla so they are not blind to their surroundings.

Why is the short vision an issue?

#12 2019-11-18 12:04:43

Coconut Fruit

Dodge wrote:

Why is the short vision an issue?

Says a mod user.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#13 2019-11-18 12:04:56

miskas

you are losing staff right under your nose,
you cant find/follow people easily,
you cant travel easily,
you don't have village/map awareness.
You lose horses from your sight.
You need a lot more time searching and wandering, meaning you need a lot more food to do something and before finished what you did you have to find food again.
So The game becomes more of a searching and wandering grind.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 12:06:54)

Food value stats

#14 2019-11-18 12:13:11

Dodge

miskas wrote:

you are losing staff right under your nose,
you cant find/follow people easily,
you cant travel easily,
you don't have village/map awareness.
You lose horses from your sight.
You need a lot more time searching and wandering, meaning you need a lot more food to do something and before finished what you did you have to find food again.
So The game becomes more of a searching and wandering grind.

losing stuff would be solve with private property (just need a good reason for it)
you can use /yoohoo to follow people
how can you not travel easily what do you mean?
village/map awareness?? you mean cheats? maps have been added to the game
horse range should be reduced
food should go down slower then (lower food value but ability to fill up on food to last longer)
searching and wandering grind? you mean to find tools and stuff? same answer as before game needs a good reason for private property that would solve this issue.

Zoom is not answer changing vanilla game is

#15 2019-11-18 14:27:35

Kaveh

1. Hey bab
> Find clothes and bp for bab, listen if it tries to say anything. If no clothes, I often give away some of my own. They need the warmth more than I do cuz I can survive longer w/o food. Very rarely I'll give away my own bp as well, but only if I feel my kid needs it more than I do. If I can't find clothes/bp I do also tell them there's a lack of that stuff (so they can work on it if they want to).

2. Have you been here before? / Do you know this place?
> Asking this question helps me figure out what I need to know. If players are new, they often tell me at this point.

2a. If they have seen this place, I tell them what's going on / what's needed the most.
2b. If they haven't seen the place, I'll show them the main areas (farm, bakery, smithy, sheep) and answer any questions.
2c. If I'm still unsure about how experienced the kid is by this point, I'll ask my kid if they're new.
> This helps the kid get settled in the town and allows them to figure out what they want to do. It makes sure they know where to find food and know what options they have for things to do this life.

3a. If experienced player, at age 3: Do you know what you want to do?
> If yes, I let them go
> If no, I repeat what needs to be done and possibly what I was working on, then ask them whether they want to stay with me or look around by themselves. I always tell my kids they can do whatever they want, even if I said 'we need someone to find oil' or something.

3b. If new player, at age 3: Do you know how to farm?
> If no, I'll teach them how to farm (berries first, then planting things). / If yes, do you want to learn anything else?
> If they don't want to learn, I let them go. Some new players just want to run around and try stuff, or maybe look at other people to learn like that.
> If they do want to learn something else, I generally see what's needed (making compost, baking, smithing) and go from there. This teaches my kid from the start to look at the state of the game and do things because of that, instead of just learning things cuz they want to. I sometimes explain this as well, mostly if a kid wants to learn something that isn't needed (if a kid said they want to learn how to bake but the kitchen is full of people baking and there's plenty of baked foods already, I show them the kitchen and say it's not really needed right now, but there's no compost or w/e so we could help out by doing that).

While teaching my kid I generally force feed them a lot cuz they tend to forget to eat while listening lmao

4. If my kid wants to leave when they grow up, I generally drop them off near food (usually farm, sometimes bakery) and always remind them to put some food in their bp, or, if they don't have one, bring a basket or bowl with food with them.
> I really feel this helps them survive the first few lethal minutes where food is heckin important and sometimes there's just not enough of it to go around. Better for them to have some berries in their bp than coming back to eat and there not being any anymore. Young kids just don't have enough time to then run around and figure out where to find food.

#16 2019-11-18 14:50:35

Coconut Fruit

From time to time I get a mom that gives me a tour around the town to show me where is the sheep pen, kitchen and so on. I can write only one letter yet, so I just say nothing and I'm like "haha" :D

Dodge wrote:

Zoom is the answer, you know it even if you don't want to admit it.
Maybe we don't have zoom because Jason isn't able to fix lags (slowmo) that people would get with it. It's kinda hard to believe that a developer would want to give people so impaired sigh.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#17 2019-11-18 15:21:52

wondible

Even onetech is personal preference. I enjoyed learning things in game, although I did have to run a private server for a while to figure out radios and engines - those tend to take a very special moment in history on a public server.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#18 2019-11-18 15:35:06

miskas

wondible wrote:

Even onetech is personal preference. I enjoyed learning things in game, although I did have to run a private server for a while to figure out radios and engines - those tend to take a very special moment in history on a public server.

oh yeah, A private server would also help!  with a lower peep drain as well!
Jason could even just add a door in the skip tutorial room. and let a bunch of stuff lay outside for people to practice.
People are not pc literate or they are bored to learn about private servers.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 15:38:22)

Food value stats

#19 2019-11-18 16:41:26

Legs

Typically take them for a walk around town while feeding so they know where things are. Find some clothing or a backpack for them along the way. If there aren't many items for them I might ask if they know how to hunt rabbits or make wool clothes. Sometimes this becomes a first job for them in early life, making their own kit. Then after they die it's passed on and contributes to town use. Typically I avoid assigning jobs outside of eve camps but if I'm busy and something fairly simple needs doing I might ask. For example I recently found an abandoned town with dead berry bushes. Chopped up the bushes and piled it as kindling then had a baby, and a second baby. So I asked the first one to replant berry bushes. Simple jobs like that. When I'm near death I also like to pass down my kit to a grandchild and maybe ask them to do a job in return. Burying me in the graveyard or finishing some work I was doing. I think it's important to keep jobs simple and easy, otherwise people will just end up skipping them.

When I get a brand new player I prioritize clothing other children first because honestly, the new player will probably forget to eat and starve. I never ever give them a knife, although they love to ask for one. If I'm not busy I might ask what they want to learn about and spend some time teaching. A brand new son recently wanted to learn hunting, so I showed him how to snare rabbits and shoot turkeys. He didn't even lose the bow! I also make it a point to remind them to eat. Always carry emergency food and remember to eat. When they grow hair I always drop my kids off at the berry bushes and tell them good luck. Usually don't see them again until they're adults and they come around wanting help with something, or just to roleplay.

Loco Motion

#20 2019-11-18 16:51:11

Dodge

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Zoom is the answer, you know it even if you don't want to admit it.
Maybe we don't have zoom because Jason isn't able to fix lags (slowmo) that people would get with it. It's kinda hard to believe that a developer would want to give people so impaired sigh.

zoom gives you god's point of view, in a game focused about interacting with others it makes your experience much worse even if you dont realize it.

#21 2019-11-18 16:57:26

DestinyCall

Double the vanilla view isn't god-like.  It is a average sized sheep pen.

The zoom mods allow you to pull out as far as you like, but doing so is only really useful when you are travelling long distances or hunt for oil.   Most of the time, you just need a little longer field of vision, so you aren't blind to stuff that is located right behind you or just above your head.

If Jason allowed even a modest amount of zoom for vanilla users, it would be a significant functional improvement without compromising aesthetics.   But he thinks his art looks best in video at max zoom, so it will never happen.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-18 17:22:07)

#22 2019-11-18 18:47:40

Gogo
Banned

Remember, zoom out too much and you can miss spawned baby.

I teach them yum chain is most important (slower hunger saves village resources). I show them places in village, I prefer if baby reacts to this, if not I'm afraid that they turned into potato. I give them small tasks. I didn't realize so much people don't have zoom mod, so I will start to teach about it, thanks.

#23 2019-11-18 19:07:11

DestinyCall

And also out-of-biome rattlesnakes or skeeters.

#24 2019-11-18 20:03:43

WalrusesConquer

With my kids it goes something like this:
Hi baby!
(Gives name)
It means (gives meaning of name)
You have [blank] brothers and [blank] sisters
Do you want a tour?
*shows around town*
If something needs doing, I try point it out, hive clothes if no adults need it
Also! I try show them to my family, since sometimes I never realise I had a little a brother till I go around town.

I do try to be nice, since I the most fun lives I've had is when Ive interacted with my siblings amd the people around town. However sometimes I really need to do something and go to drop my baby off...only for the nurse to leave me with six kids! Caring for multiples is tough, I can deal with twins but popping out a kid in the middle of trying to talk to the eldest is hard!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#25 2019-11-18 20:38:04

Legs

If you're really busy, there's also the option to just name your kid and abandon them at the nursery.

It's awkward if they survive and you see them later around town though...

Loco Motion

Board footer