One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-17 20:45:29

Spoonwood

Did Your Family Trade?

Did your family trade for resources that they can't obtain because of their race? If so, then tell us about that trade here.  It would be good if you reported the details of what you exchanged also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-17 20:53:39

DestinyCall

Re: Did Your Family Trade?

I befriended a bear and gave it lots of fresh mutton in exchange for warm hugs.   Does that count as inter-species trade?

#3 2019-11-17 20:59:39

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I befriended a bear and gave it lots of fresh mutton in exchange for warm hugs.   Does that count as inter-species trade?

Please don't coerce bears into touching which they don't affirmatively consent to after the fact.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-11-17 21:46:10

pein

dropped some sulfur and a kerosene for gingers, one girl followed me back, went afk and had like 3 baby girls
they could clean up the town
rW1QbEH.png
hardly can call a trade as she knew I was from somewhere else and came with me while others didn't even care
also I was with a horse, I could just take anything I need
you either stay and help or steal and go home, it's no need or reason to even communicate

Lissade town, was a big mess, they had so many outposts and now they died out anyway

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-11-17 21:56:14

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Please don't coerce bears into touching which they don't affirmatively consent to after the fact.

I always make sure to allow the bear to initiate the hug so they can provide full consent before any touching occurs.   The mutton is more of a gift, to let them know that I'm bear-positive.

#6 2019-11-17 22:58:55

miskas

I made a personal property and traded a scavenged Backpack for 2 berry/carrot bowls to help me set up my second property , my personal pen.

In my property, I had 2 full sets of cloths + bps, thread, some extra furs. Pies, bow and arrows, 2 wolf skins. 1 sheep, the only horse of the village and a wild gooseberry bush.  I inherit it to a girl before I die.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2019-11-17 23:09:55

Solbusaur

I guess it's more important now than ever to wall off your precious items. You need a large item warehouse to keep safe from raiders, which will be more common now with these racial limitations.
Also gives trade more fair transaction. You'll only take out your items if they take out theirs

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#8 2019-11-17 23:28:12

Thaulos

I asked a brown fam to get me palm oil using a paper. Before that I gave them two iron I happened to find on the way and mined a gold vein (I was ginger) one of them was trying to get.

I wasnt so much a trade as a series of altruistic actions from both sides and involving different people.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-11-17 23:29:16)

#9 2019-11-18 02:09:04

DestinyCall

Fun Fact - a lot of early "trade" between people was basically just mutual gift-giving to show that you weren't dangerous or threatening.  Many cultures still have strong gift-giving traditions, where you are expected to exchange gifts under various circumstances or give gifts to your host when visiting their home for the first time.   Gift-giving eventually evolved into barter ... barter eventually evolved into money exchanges and something closer to what we see in our modern economy.

The communal sharing we currently have in OHOL is very realistic for a small close-knit community.   You share with your own family and you expect them to share with you.   When dealing with people you trust in a small group, you extend trust and you don't ask for payment for every favor, because you know they would support you if you asked for help.

Trying to enforce capitalism in OHOL is not "real-play".   It's just misguided.

#10 2019-11-18 08:35:04

miskas

I think with the new cheap property system, Gift trade can be more common now. 
with tool slots, the only trades I made were more on a form of co-operation on the spot,
I traded a needle/thread +toolslot for a shoe, one guy had bp furs but didn't have thread, I asked for his shoe to make his bp.
Also another time a guy came to the smith (me) and asked for a shovel. Bring me kindling and I will make you shovel I said. If I had already made a shovel though he wouldn't ask me nether brought me kindling.

Now with the property, you can work first, store your products in the property and then people come to ask for them.
The best way to trade is to see what others might need, make it store it and then make them work for you to give it to them. Next time I will hire milkweed farmer kids to help me improve the storage of my property.

PS: The specialization is combinations of both, a huge property fence for the whole family and a baffed tool slot system.

Disclaimer: BE POLITE AND GENEROUS. we don't live in a strictly policed community yet. Anyone can be armed don't steal or make anything that goes to the extreme because then you deserve to be cursed and slaughter, We live in an anarchy system, Don't Tread on them cause they will bite you.

20x20

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-18 09:04:54)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#11 2019-11-18 09:27:12

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

My friend traded her son. This is the only trading I've seen yet.

trade

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer