One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-10 01:58:27

Lava

Baby Distribution - Its too good

In all my lives, our town couldn't even pass a population of 10. The problem is there's WAAAY to many families so in turn, it makes towns feel empty, like their no purpose. This also puts a dampening on productivity and scarcity because if there's only five people in a village nothing gets used for decades. Nothing gets done either just bots wandering around aimlessly because everythign seems pointless if its just them and their mom and sister.

Last edited by Lava (2019-11-10 01:58:43)

#2 2019-11-10 02:25:37

Keyin

Re: Baby Distribution - Its too good

I do agree that baby distribution is too good-

New eves should be a regular occurrence rather than being based on # of players and established families should have to compete by keeping warm/yumming

Keeping the family alive isn't a priority because the algorithm makes sure your family has plenty of opportunity to save itself.

I also agree there isn't much to do because population is stable and the resource demands of a few well dressed people is very low, population density is also much lower outside the rift so theres more resources per capita.

However I disagree when it comes to ideal number of family members. I tend to prefer towns with 3-5 adults. I think it is near the sweet spot in my opinion. Anymore than 5 adults and you don't really get to know everyone. Even 5 adults feels like too many to me.

In the rift we always got down to two families and you had half the server in your family. Families now are much closer nit now and I like it that way.

No more mega towns, just the family lodge and family sheep pen and family farm.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-11-10 02:26:14)

#3 2019-11-10 02:49:11

Grim_Arbiter

Keyin wrote:

Until the bells come back haha

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-11-10 02:53:58

Keyin

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Keyin wrote:

Until the bells come back haha

True, I had forgotten about bell towers. At least not EVERY life will be in a big town though. Makes it more special smile

#5 2019-11-11 07:59:18

LaughAtlantis

I have only had two boys in my last 22 children. That seems like a really rough distribution.

One of those boys SID'd.  I've had low overalls SIDs lately so... I'm curious as to whether the high girl numbers and no benefit to being a boy make any difference.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#6 2019-11-11 10:57:21

Kaveh

LaughAtlantis wrote:

I have only had two boys in my last 22 children. That seems like a really rough distribution.

One of those boys SID'd.  I've had low overalls SIDs lately so... I'm curious as to whether the high girl numbers and no benefit to being a boy make any difference.

I just wanted to reply to this cuz to me there is benefit to being a boy: actually getting things done & exploration. Being born as a girl kind of automatically means I won't go exploring cuz I'd rather have my kids being born in town, and abandoning them sucks. I also won't start any projects that take so long I know I'll have to interrupt them for my babies. Being a boy feels like it gives me a bit more freedom, which is a big plus in my book.

Anyway, true, there aren't a lot of boys around lately. Think it has to do with the 'less than x fertile women' thing; the families are so small that it rarely gets above that number.

#7 2019-11-11 17:12:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Should I turn the ratio down a bit?  We currently have 7 fams with 68 players, which is 9/fam on average.

Maybe we could get by with 4 fams with 68, or 17/fam on average?  Or maybe 5 fams, to divide the difference.  13/fam on average.  I'll do that now.

#8 2019-11-11 18:59:25

wondible

My first thought is base the number of families on the 24 hour server low point, with an extra high limit in case there is a sudden rush of players.

But I haven't yet looked into the daily survival patterns.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#9 2019-11-11 19:26:59

Wuatduhf

It would be 'cute' and maybe an interesting game-play element if there were more 'dynamic' levers constantly adjusting what the players/family and baby/mother ratios were, depending on 'player traffic' throughout the hours, gene fitness, etc.

#10 2019-11-11 22:10:20

Saolin

13 sounds better than 9 for a more developed town.  I was just thinking, would it be better if we had a smaller number for eve villages though?  It would probably decrease the routine infanticide in eve villages if they weren't getting overloaded with more kids than they can feed all the time.  They want a few kids, but not too many.  Would help balance the life score issues faced by players in eve villages, probably.  I guess it would be hard to tell for the server what is an eve village, so perhaps "within x amount of time/generations from when the eve spawned"?

Last edited by Saolin (2019-11-11 22:11:23)

#11 2019-11-12 01:05:32

betame

THIS, emphatically, THIS!!!

Wuatduhf wrote:

It would be 'cute' and maybe an interesting game-play element if there were more 'dynamic' levers constantly adjusting what the players/family and baby/mother ratios were, depending on 'player traffic' throughout the hours, gene fitness, etc.

This game has a centrally unique trait that deserve enormous amounts of attention: the parent-child connection.

He has the resources to wield the differential equations that surround this central premise. He's able to direct birth rates and characterize life outcomes.

But even further:
What does Jason want to tell the world about being a parent? What conditions make that feeling exist? How can folks get a taste in 60 minutes? Is sharing his experience worth his effort?

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

Board footer