One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-06 04:15:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Another wacky food idea

You can only eat when starving.  So you have to wait.  This means you can only eat one food at a time, and how it fills you up is how it fills you up.  If that one food is a berry, in a pinch, it will save your life, but you can't fill up on it.  It will buy you a bit of time.

I think this would drive players crazy.... but there's be no more standing by the berry bush filling the tank all the way up.  You'd need to eat a bigger food to do that.

#2 2019-11-06 04:32:21

wondible

Re: Another wacky food idea

Would make long distance travel harder - I'm always grazing, but at other times there are long droughts, which is why I want to stay topped off.

In particular it's hard to imagine how eve camps would get by with what, 20-30 seconds of runtime between feedings? I think you'd need globally reduced food consumption for this to work.

If this lands please make changes to mouflon lambs. Once you drop it (e.g. to eat) you are *done*, so it's important to top off in order to make it home with both the lamb and your life. Granted, an alternate strategy here is to bring a friend to feed you, which is something we rarely see.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2019-11-06 04:41:08

DestinyCall

Please just ... don't.

#4 2019-11-06 04:41:33

Coconut Fruit

Cooking low pip foods like bread would be useless. Nobody would want to eat bread.
Eating every couple secs would be annoying.
This change would make it very hard to get iron in very beginning towns where nobody has a backpack.
Vanilla users would die every while without zoom mod to see where is a food.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-06 04:42:10)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2019-11-06 05:15:42

Tempted

Man I just had some tasty jerky. It was GOOD!

#6 2019-11-06 08:18:17

Dodge

That sounds even more fast paced than now and would probably drive players crazy yeah...

How about the complete opposite:

You can fill on a lots of food and it lasts way longer but you have a higher collective risk of running out of food and dying of starvation instead of an individual one?

If berries is the issue just nerf them so you need two full berry bushes to fill one person's food meter and buff stew since it's an early food

#7 2019-11-06 10:26:28

MrShuriken

I actually would really like this idea if it was changed to 1/2 way down the bar
still meaning you cant eat pies at full and berries when low

#8 2019-11-06 11:00:33

Kaveh

Although I like the idea of thinking about what you eat more / focusing on yum since that'll be the only way to survive longer even when eating 'small' food, this would be terrible in practice when playing as an eve or in an early town. Getting sheep would be awful, as would looking for iron.

#9 2019-11-06 12:58:12

fug

I think the bigger issue here is related to the fact the whole game right now is centered around gooseberries which is why you need such large fields of the stuff.

Hunting rabbits requires gooseberries.
Baking requires all sorts of gooseberries as you need to feed sheep.
Tailoring requires gooseberries either through making advanced clothing (loom), making the thread for clothing (wool), making the clothing in the first place (basic wool clothing)
Composting requires gooseberries (poop and just in general)

Kind of funny how oil is a luxury but some random berry is basically the life force of the game due to no replacements.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#10 2019-11-06 13:19:00

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No ty, maybe nerf water again pls thx

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2019-11-06 13:36:25

BladeWoods

I really like how that would make it so that just eating berries is unoptimal, and it would also stop food wastage from overeating, and it would make yumming more important.

#12 2019-11-06 14:29:29

MapleSugar

waitwaitwait
It's so hard
In primal, we can't fill our stomach
We must die before we build village
Don't do that
Stop
Plz

Sorry my poor english.
---  ....  ---  .-..

#13 2019-11-06 14:31:58

arkajalka

Yap would affect nomading big time. This would encourage scavening wild in group, but at the moment roamin in group is terrible. People get disorganized and get serious food issues as theres twice the people consuming wild edibles.

Maybe make some sort of "pair map" for scavenging together. Paper-->red dye -->pair map. holding this and saying pair NAME would give you homemark/map kinda arrow to your partner. This way you'd be able to roam more free to scavenge and still meet up for some coordinated works.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#14 2019-11-06 14:56:57

miskas

the early game will go super hard adults will be with children stomachs,  any action that requires traveling will be extra risky. People without zoom will die in masses. In the end, we will just eat mutton pies and berries from bowls as we already do.
Just deep this idea, go to the other one. Don't nerf low foods, baff the big ones.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8312
Idea to reduce food waste and make "big foods" more beneficial

miskas wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, the 2x limit is an interesting idea.

But it still wouldn't help me make "feast" foods that are over 20 pips.  I mean, I guess the 40-pip food could be saved until famished and push an adult up to 40 pips total.  But might as well eat a 20-pip food when full, right?

Though it would be nice if BB simply couldn't eat big pies, etc.  That would make certain small foods bb-food, which is thematically nice.

All fixed by math :(Y) extra stomach, (x) current total peeps
extra stomach =0.00001* current total peeps^5
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/p25odmsmp8

BBs cant eat pies, Elder stomach matters, Max Total stomach 52.

Screenshot-3.png

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-06 15:04:13)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#15 2019-11-06 16:41:31

Ilka

Jason, you know this is a stupid idea, right?

First of all, it's even illogical - explain to novice players that they can't eat.

Why?
Because you must starve to eat.

Wtf?

Such a new player when he dies a few times will stand his whole life with a gooseberry in his hand not to die again.

Living in Eve's camps is already extremely difficult because of the drying water sources.
So of course we need it to be even more difficult.

Walking on the map will be very difficult for players with mod zoom and completely impossible for vanilla players.

Passing through some zones (polar and desert) for a naked person will be impossible completely.

So there will be no more seal hunting and the only clothes available at Eve camp.
So Eve's camps will die out even faster.

Once you calculate the optimal number of buckets of water and gooseberry per player what will you achieve?
It's supposed to be optimal ...

Only does this optimally balanced game get better than that?

#16 2019-11-06 17:33:17

mensrea

Kaveh wrote:

Although I like the idea of thinking about what you eat more / focusing on yum since that'll be the only way to survive longer even when eating 'small' food, this would be terrible in practice when playing as an eve or in an early town. Getting sheep would be awful, as would looking for iron.

I think the idea would be good for hard mode playing and promoting yumming. If I have fifteen yum and can only eat while starving, jason's change doesn't make much difference: I can't stack high plus food numbers.

But what if Jason's idea is changed a bit that makes sense. You can only eat while starving unless it's a yum food. Nobody likes to eat the same food, but you can sometimes stuff yourself if you're eating a bit of different things. People will be forced to yum. They can't force feed the same food to people to waste it very easily, unless they're starving which will make full use of the food anyway.

I think Jason's change would solve the overeaters problems but could make eve life very difficult.

#17 2019-11-06 19:47:53

Bearfut

How about you give us a content update instead? We've been waiting forever playing 3 days in the stale rift while we are maxed out at engines.

Last edited by Bearfut (2019-11-06 19:48:17)

#18 2019-11-06 19:49:27

Tizzy

Why do you ask us our opinion on things like this, you’ll only agree with the comments that like it. You’ll do it away if you want to. You don’t care what your playerbase wants. So threads like this are frustrating.

#19 2019-11-06 19:57:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I said it was a wacky idea.

I'm not trying to gauge what the playerbase "wants" with posts like this.  I'm also not looking for you to express an opinion.

I'm trying to run difficult design problems by a group of very smart people.

For example, in the other food thread (https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8312), holes in the initial idea were discovered immediately.  This isn't a matter of taste or preference or opinion.  Holes are holes.

If you think that I'm messing around or doing a bad job, you underestimate how difficult these problems are to solve in the context of a persistent world multiplayer game.

#20 2019-11-06 20:11:20

fug

Tizzy wrote:

Why do you ask us our opinion on things like this, you’ll only agree with the comments that like it. You’ll do it away if you want to. You don’t care what your playerbase wants. So threads like this are frustrating.

Being this rude yikes. This is why he stopped asking the general forum stuff because people get so damn pissy. While I don't think either solution solves what the issues are calling him out isn't going to help.

Buffing the big foods obviously drives the game difficulty into the ground by essentially giving a bunch of extra free pips. This is classically bad because when food is easy the game suffers.

Making low pips worse is bad because it essentially does the opposite. You're making the game harder by limiting adults to having children stomachs. It wouldn't be harder for smart players but would definitely raise the difficulty for the players who absolutely don't need added difficulty.

Also if you're gonna be mad be mad about sensible stuff. Reeing about not doing what you want is unreasonable. Reeing about stuff like incomplete steel recycling or incomplete/broken tool set is much more reasonable.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#21 2019-11-06 23:29:59

karltown_veteran

jasonrohrer wrote:

I said it was a wacky idea.

I'm not trying to gauge what the playerbase "wants" with posts like this.  I'm also not looking for you to express an opinion.

I'm trying to run difficult design problems by a group of very smart people.

For example, in the other food thread (https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8312), holes in the initial idea were discovered immediately.  This isn't a matter of taste or preference or opinion.  Holes are holes.

If you think that I'm messing around or doing a bad job, you underestimate how difficult these problems are to solve in the context of a persistent world multiplayer game.

Then why not just say “not asking for opinions, just need technical help”? It could save you a lot of effort. Because that wasn’t specified we answered with our opinions. I mean, the forum was created so people could share suggestions, opinions and stories. Not so you could converse with other “very smart people”.
Also, this isn’t a personal attack. We (I) understand how hard you work and appreciate that. Just think it’s a dumb idea. Nothing more, nothing less.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#22 2019-11-06 23:40:49

Coconut Fruit

karltown_veteran wrote:

Then why not just say “not asking for opinions, just need technical help”?

It's not really needed to point out such things. Why do you care? At least people are more willingly to give their opinions. Maybe it's useless for Jason but for community it can matter a little. And opinions can sometimes be valuable too.
You should be happy that Jason actually tells us about things.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#23 2019-11-06 23:48:29

arkajalka

If you trying to revolutionize the berry munchers out of their habbits i will revolt and plant berry bushesh with every water/soil/hoe i get my hands on to.

LONG LIVE MUNCHERS

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#24 2019-11-06 23:52:55

karltown_veteran

Coconut Fruit wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Then why not just say “not asking for opinions, just need technical help”?

It's not really needed to point out such things. Why do you care? At least people are more willingly to give their opinions. Maybe it's useless for Jason but for community it can matter a little. And opinions can sometimes be valuable too.
You should be happy that Jason actually tells us about things.

I’m a little confused as to why you’re attacking me. Did you not read my post? I’m all for posting opinions. I’m glad that Jason tells us things but disappointed he doesn’t want our opinions, however it’s completely justified that he doesn’t need our opinions on certain occasions, however he should just tell us so. I think it’s neccessary to point out such things, because Jason posts about something that we may have mixed feeling about and then gets frustrated when we share our feelings.
I’m a bit confused about your question “why do you care?” I don’t particularly care, I’m just offering my advice because Jason is clearly frustrated. The real question is why are you arguing with me when I agree with you?

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#25 2019-11-06 23:58:21

DestinyCall

To be fair, Jason has made it pretty clear that he doesn't really want/need our unfiltered opinions about the game.   There's even a sticky post describing what kind of feedback he considers most valuable to his process.

( https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6724 )

At this point, I'm much more surprised when he decides to listen to suggestions or feedback, than when he shoots them down or ignores them until it is too late.

That being said, I'm not really sure what he expected when he posted another "wacky idea".   If he wasn't the game dev, I would suspect he was trolling us ...

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-07 00:05:36)

Board footer