One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-31 22:24:36

Toxolotl

Anyone else hate this new tool update?

One of my favorite things about this game was its lack of limitations. We built our skills and knowledge off of experience.  Over time we grew to the ability to conquer any task set before us. It felt great. With this new system ive felt nothing but trapped within it. I loved being an overseer of whatever village and having the ability to swoop in and stabilize the situation no matter what was happening. With this new tool update that feels impossible. Ive had a hard time playing since these updates. I want to teach others but sometimes needs overseed wants. Limiting players and forcing  them into boxes only creates a frustrating experience imo. I want to hear your pros and cons within this new update and how they have effected your game play. I personally dont play this game to exclusively smith, farm, built or etc. I want to do it all if its necessary and filling that void feels good. I dont understand why the restriction of those things is a good thing. Let me know how you feel and how these updates have effected you.

#2 2019-10-31 22:32:59

denriguez

Re: Anyone else hate this new tool update?

I've had the opposite experience. Before the new tool constraint, I'd fly between jobs as you mentioned doing, never really staying on one task for too long. Now, I take some pride in specializing and playing a unique role. I feel much better knowing that if I go to the bakery and someone is baking, then they're probably going to keep the pie cycle flowing, rather than just bake a batch of pies every now and then.

#3 2019-10-31 23:19:45

Toxolotl

That's good to hear. My concerns lie more with that overlap and our ability to fill a void if needs must. If your baker is old and there isnt another to fill that void it fall upon another player to teach someone (usurping their tasks) and spend essential time simply doing that without the ability to show what needs to be done. I dont like the restriction and i would prefer a mechanic that promotes inclusivity and learning as opposed to something that exiles a player from completing a task.

#4 2019-10-31 23:48:01

pein

first few lives I had 14 slots which were enough

ever since I am getting 6-8 so not great

the overall idea is not that bad but some tools are way more important than others

for example, knitting needles are something that you might use mid-game before loom but after you got a pen and good water and soil setup, a fixed town
aprons are my signature, I think I made the most aprons in this game since they exist if you ever saw a town with 1-2 I was there

I remember the times when I had to do all the important stuff and no one cared
I enjoyed at first but then stuff just annoys you
was kinda weird I had to communicate with people to do things for me
can be very annoying as it's not fully-fledged out, you learn things by accident, you miss one thing to do a proper job, even if it's something as simple as making basic tools

hero complex is also something that you learn to shake off of you, you don't have to be the one killing the griefer or healing the innocent or killing the bear, you can let it play out as people try to kill others anyway and it's just bad for you if you jump into without knowing the real issues

I think that not heaving weapon slots and not being able to heal can be an issue as killing people can be quite important, you don't plan for it, you just do it when necessary and you have to do it fast
plus all the bullshit jason told on the duel update is bullshit compared to real situations

people aren't wrong or right, they are subjective so there is no griefers dance, it's a dance, which can be used defensively or offensively
the majority isn't always right, and while he thinks that about cursing and posse and all the new bullshit mechanics, he didn't agree with that IRL so it's kinda hypocritical
duels are a skill matchup, not decision-based bullshit what we got now
cause all it needs some bad intention
"if you want to kill someone you should be able to do it" translates into "if someone wants to kill you he can do it"
now if someone ever cursing you or shit-talking, you can pretty much prepare for getting killed or kill them
the new changes made so idiotic, that you got to wait to kill but you got to have all times healing supplies, you depend on idiots to heal you
people spend 30 minutes to frame you and now you aren't even able to defend yourself
and the griefers gonna flex anyway, they can't make their own weapon and they would need a minute to fill a berry bowl but they can kill you while you are moving
so I really hate the fact we can't dodge and that self-defence is a tool based job

plus the fact that you used a knitting needle by accident and all your life you pay the price of it

Last edited by pein (2019-11-01 01:54:22)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-11-01 00:46:34

Matbat

I've been having quite similar feelings about the update.

Before, I could help in every aspect and times where I dedicated my life to a work were also nice.
Now its: Learn axe, theres no kindling. learn hot oven, noone is baking pies and people are eating all the berries.
Learn shovel, there is a pen of poop but noone is fertilizing the compost piles.

Minor activities chip away at a very precious few tool slots and by the time you decide you want to do something
you don't have enough to actually do it. And people don't seem to have a burning passion for their dedicated role in life
as I can see there is no massive overproduction of some things.

People who can do a thing you'd hope they'd use for the greater benefit of the whole instead use it once for themself
and you have to take it up to do the very same thing because its in the way of your job.

Tools cons:
Nullifies good players because they now have to rely on others to do minor components related to the thing they want to do
in order to save slots and be able to do their job, wasting lots of their time if who they ask isn't competent - and wasting
time still if they're competent.

Tools pros:
New players are barely effected, they most do lives working one thing at a time.
Knife looks cool upside-down
Ok concept, needs refining.
(Like, instead of being tied directly to genetic score you could decide to allocate your genetic score to gain extra slots, faster movement, more speech characters, etc.)

I'm just holding out hope tools are balanced to the point wheres theres no distress and unrest in the hearts of good players.

#6 2019-11-01 01:31:38

FulmenTheFinn

Since most players quit with only a few dozen hours under their belt, well before they can become good at the game, everything in towns is always falling apart, and designing good towns and properly maintaining them is left to the very few experienced players that might happen to be around at the time. This update largely prevents that. As a consequence, even "large" towns (if you can call 15-20 player towns large) are now much more dysfunctional than before, just like I predicted.

It's also yet another item to an increasingly long list of updates that fuck over Eve players, which at this point just makes it obvious that either Jason simply does not care about the repercussions his changes might have on said players, or he is unaware of them. If it is the latter, then I will be truly astonished, since as the sole dev of the game, Jason should be fully aware of all of its mechanics, especially the more recent ones.

Just to clarify for those that don't Eve: normally spawning as Eve requires you to /die a lot. Generally this uses up most or all of your life tokens. Sometimes you even run out before spawning as Eve. Tough luck, Jason's choice.

Oh and by the way, all this /die'ing tanks your genetic fitness score to near-zero; you can go from 1st place to 850th in about 30 seconds. No score? No tool slots for you, buddy. Tough luck, Jason's choice.

But wait, there's more! Unless you spawn as Eve within the first few minutes of the arc, find a good spot and get a well built before the arc is around 30 minutes old, and the exciting limit of a whopping six (6) wells per arc has been reached, all the springs will be dry. No springs? No new camp sites for you. Touch luck buddy, Jason's choice.

P.S. Don't forget to buy at least a second copy of the game if you want to actually play as Eve when the arc resets, but don't happen to have even close to 12 life tokens.

So yeah, hence "a long list of updates that fuck over Eve players".

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#7 2019-11-01 01:32:03

fug

My biggest concern is this is one of these things he isn't going to refine until months down the line like quite a few updates. We still don't have all the steel stuff finished being recyclable and that update was released in July yikes. It's bad enough tool limits basically make Eve useless in her camp but I guess it brings early game down to par with the rest of the game (we can't have the only good part be early game so lets make it mediocre to match mid/late game.)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2019-11-01 02:04:25

Saolin

The update makes sense to me..  Though I am still getting used to it - I've been experiencing a lot of decision paralysis when considering picking up any tool, and whereas before I might idly empty the diesel well into a cistern and refuel it while contemplating more important things to do - now I think twice, realize I wasn't planning to use any water right now anyway and run off in search of a more important job that i didn't have time to think about yet since i wasted it considering whether the tool was worth picking up.  In time i will get more comfortable with limited tool slots though and learn how to budget them effectively without being overly conservative with them as i am now.

Cons
- one player can't be as productive

Pros
- encourages meaningful communication
- encourages involving new players in productive tasks even if teaching was never your plan.

#9 2019-11-01 05:35:35

Stormyzabeast

Honestly, I've hated most updates since the temperature update. The game's gone to shit. I used to play every day as much as possible, now I play a life or two every few days, if that. Sucks so bad... Stop taking shit away. Add to the game. Players are leaving and new players are quitting fast

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#10 2019-11-01 05:59:11

psyduck

I can't speak English, so I quietly did various things and contributed to the village.
That was the fun of this game.
It ’s a little difficult now.

I can stay here thanks to Google Translate.

#11 2019-11-01 11:18:31

WalrusesConquer

I mean today there was a griefer but because her fitness was so low she couldn't actually hurt us. She tried to feed me to the bears and kept trying to use her upside down bow to no avail

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2019-11-01 16:10:06

PeebleCreek

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the update, but I think if the overall play style adapts to prioritize training/teaching and organization/communication as Jason intended, it might end up being an improvement in the long run.

Problem is, I struggle a LOT with changing up the way I play a game once I have an effective approach, so I end up being part of the problem by not putting enough focus on communicating with the town or teaching my kids. I get focused on whatever task I've decided to dedicate my life to, and just keep plowing ahead with it even if it ultimately worsens my game play experience.

As a concept, I think it's really cool to see the game change and watch how all the players adapt to those changes, I just wish that I was a lot better at being an active part of the adaptations. sad

I always name my first daughter Amala, and my first son Damen.

#13 2019-11-01 17:07:32

miskas

I have been more co-operational, I watch what others do and try to help them.  I try teaching more often.

Before the Update, I only did Solo Grinds of what the town needed the most. But most of the staff I did were the least interesting grinding staff that none wanted to do.
Now I find myself taking part in a Greater viraty of things and more interesting than just the grindy ones I did and It feels better cause I know people recognize my help more now.

I changed philosophy from What My town needs , to What my town and Others need.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-01 17:12:17)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#14 2019-11-01 17:07:58

TheSamWish

I hate it. Not only does it restrict what i do but it makes it way harder to teach new people how to complete a job. I can only tell them not instead of showing them because i don't want to waste my tools slots on a job I'm about to hand over to someone else.
The text floating above peoples heads doesn't lend itself to easy communication between players, and now we have to rely on it to survive.
Now not only do i have to find the axe but now i have to run around asking who can use it and by the time you find him the fire is already dead. Time to find the guy who can use the firebow drill. It's not cooperation it's just another chore.
I used to play on server 12 to relax when i got too frustrated by the hustle and chaos of bigserver2. Now playing on a low pop server and huge headache.
I feel like I got nerfed hard.

You are Pepsi

#15 2019-11-01 17:09:54

TheSamWish

we want content not constraints.

You are Pepsi

#16 2019-11-01 22:17:45

StrongForce

I like it
I have only two extra slots from gene and I have spare slots I keep for emergency knife or healing
If you need a one time use of something take it and ask someone. I get helped really fast normaly

Ingame learning is super inefficient. Tell them about onetech.info and that they should look at what they want to do there then do it ingame.
Much less frustration on timed stuff + good overview of items needed

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-11-01 22:21:11)

Baby dance!!

#17 2019-11-01 22:43:11

Kaveh

StrongForce wrote:

Ingame learning is super inefficient. Tell them about onetech.info and that they should look at what they want to do there then do it ingame.
Much less frustration on timed stuff + good overview of items needed

Consider this: some people learn better from teachers, some learn better from books. Onetech is the book in this situation. Definitely not efficient if I need to pick up that same book every time and stand around for a few minutes just so I can do the same thing again, if someone telling me would've made me remember forever.

I agree that onetech is good for super advanced things, but please don't send a player there if they're asking how to build, or make some pies, or if they're trying to use a bowl on a cistern.

#18 2019-11-01 23:44:34

Saolin

StrongForce wrote:

Well the easy stuff is done by the hints.

It can be.  The hints are not as easy to grasp as crafting recipes in most games though where they will show you an exact list of all ingredients needed which are to be combined all at once to get what you want.

Like Kaveh said, different people like to learn in different ways.  Your suggestions probably work for some players given that it probably would work for you since you suggest it.  For me when i was new, receiving support and guidance from an experienced player to guide me through the steps was a warm and comforting feeling, something a database of information can't provide.  It was important for me to feel that in a game where you see effectively endless possibilities that you don't know how to do any of, it feels very helpless.

Anyway, just trying to provide some additional perspective, carry on smile

#19 2019-11-01 23:55:14

StrongForce

The hints do the easy part
But this game is so much better to play if you just read trou the techtree anyway
Half an hour and you have stuff to do for three lifes

Baby dance!!

#20 2019-11-02 01:00:28

Saolin

StrongForce wrote:

The hints do the easy part
But this game is so much better to play if you just read trou the techtree anyway
Half an hour and you have stuff to do for three lifes

Yes, but i think that is going to tend to come later on.  I do that now instead of asking in game.  I like to feel competent in a game but devoting time into getting better comes after time spent playing kindles an interest.  At first there are enough easy tasks that can also be easily taught, that can keep someone busy for a long time, but it is a lot more effortful to discover on your own.  And once you know basic tasks you're asking a much higher opportunity cost for other players to teach you, and there are fewer knowledgeable people to ask.  But if i've only played 2 or 4 hours or whatever, I'm not going to be willing to research online much at all - I still haven't even decided yet if i like the game enough for that - but feeling encouraged to continue to play may get (someone) to continue to that point.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-11-02 01:01:59)

#21 2019-11-02 01:41:13

Spoonwood

TheSamWish wrote:

I used to play on server 12 to relax when i got too frustrated by the hustle and chaos of bigserver2. Now playing on a low pop server and huge headache.
I feel like I got nerfed hard.

Jason has had a problem remembering those people, as evidenced by the wipes that completely destroyed low populations server towns.  What town was yours in server12?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2019-11-02 02:22:34

TheSamWish

Spoonwood wrote:

Jason has had a problem remembering those people, as evidenced by the wipes that completely destroyed low populations server towns.  What town was yours in server12?

I sort of took over the 'tutorial town' in the center of the map. I built a bell tower there yesterday. (3, -37) It hasn't been wiped since the rift was implemented from what I understand. It's just a little frustrating having co-op shoved down my throat when I'm literally the only person alive...

You are Pepsi

#23 2019-11-02 04:39:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Big time. Used all my tool slots trying to make a cart and I didn't even get to finish it and NO ONE would help.

Why in gods fucking name is putting kindling on hot coals TAKE A FUCKING TOOL SLOT? ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SHITTING ME JASON

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#24 2019-11-02 08:02:28

CatX

TheSamWish wrote:

I sort of took over the 'tutorial town' in the center of the map. I built a bell tower there yesterday. (3, -37) It hasn't been wiped since the rift was implemented from what I understand.

Really? big_smile Nice! I built tutorial town and a garden around the Tarr monument. I planned to use the town to learn stuff I hadn't tried in the game yet. But I got sidetracked by other projects, and haven't played for quite a while.

#25 2019-11-02 16:38:34

TheSamWish

CatX wrote:

Really? big_smile Nice! I built tutorial town and a garden around the Tarr monument. I planned to use the town to learn stuff I hadn't tried in the game yet. But I got sidetracked by other projects, and haven't played for quite a while.

Wow I was wondering who started that town. I built a lot there. Made the engine for the well, made a yum shrine, painted a pretty decent sized building, and fenced in a penguin near the tarr monument since he was out of his biome. You should check it out.

I gave up playing on that server though since I can never finish anything that I start now.

I feel like low pop servers should automatically have more tool slots since I have no one to ask for help. If gene score is excluded somehow from low pop servers, why is this co-op updated forced on all servers?

You are Pepsi

Board footer