- chisel
- hammer
- pencil
- axe
- bore
- lathe
- drill
- roller

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-10-31 01:00:45)

#2 2019-10-31 01:02:08

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: A breakdown of skill slots needed per profession

Why can't they just be category of skills? You've gained the Forge skill! and it includes all the forging tools. It's REALLY annoying that every little step is it's own tool.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2019-10-31 01:05:29

Thaulos

It's quite striking how many different skill slots you need for basic smiting for example. With the current tool slots being 5-10 we shouldn't have professions that take more than the minimum 5 to do them properly.

Skill slots would ideally promote the interactions between professions, but not need multiple people to do a single profession.

These are the absolute minimum as well. In most cases you will want extra free slots for knife/bow for security and even more ideally you should be able to do at least two jobs (it's not unusual for the smith to be idle waiting for tools to be needed). If I use all my skills on smithing because a steel hoe is needed. I shouldn't need to be limited to watering berries the rest of my life.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-10-31 01:06:08)

#4 2019-10-31 01:05:44

StrongForce

Slinky
Could you only learn one category?
If you can learn two you already have most tools

Baby dance!!

#5 2019-10-31 01:17:36

fug

StrongForce wrote:

Slinky
Could you only learn one category?
If you can learn two you already have most tools

As I said before in another thread just break it down into basic tier and advanced.

A basic cook does things related to hot coals cooking for example and an advanced cook uses ovens, cooks on flat rocks, and can butcher sheep.
A basic smith can make steel tools and an advanced smith does newcomen related tech.
Basic tailor does rabbit fur and can shear sheep and make thread while an advanced tailor does wolf hats, seal skin vests, snakeskin boots, saddles, and loom stuff.
Basic carpentry skill is making bell tower bases, cutting stones, making boards, making mallets, cutting discs and putting up walls. Advanced construction is taking down walls, installing doors, installing floors, making boxes, making slot boxes, making rail carts + rails and carts.
Basic farming is planting seeds, taking buckets of water out of a well, tilling soil with a stone hoe. Advanced farming is steel hoe, shovel, making compost, breeding animals, catching animals.

You get the drift. You can add more categories such as animal husbandry, (breeding, catching, etc.) transport (horses, horse carts, cars, and planes) or expand skills. Give players 4 skill slots which means you can do two things really well or four things alright. This cuts down on so many useless skills that have one use while still giving people distinct jobs.   

The point is as of right now it's possible to do dumb stuff in a really bad way considering all the trap options.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2019-10-31 10:38:13

pein

stakes are only a tool when placed on a bush? I don't remember needing it for floors, maybe for fences

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-10-31 18:11:28

Kaveh

I'd add adze for stone/floor builders because you gonna go thru a LOT of mallets

#8 2019-10-31 20:07:58

Tempted

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Why can't they just be category of skills? You've gained the Forge skill! and it includes all the forging tools. It's REALLY annoying that every little step is it's own tool.

This makes much more sense, and is able to be expanded greatly, once you make your way back to upgrading the tech tree. The current system will not be friendly to an upgraded tech tree I don't think, unless the plan is to keep upping the amount of tool slots.
People learn skills for jobs.
When I learned to weld, there were a set of tools I became familiar with
When I did finish carpentry, there was a set of tools I became familiar with.
When I moved to HVAC, there was a set of tools I became familiar with.
This makes more sense, and would be able to be expanded upon in the future in a more efficient and simpler manner.
You could limit a person to one to three skillsets in a life depending on genetic fitness.
Please think about it.

Board footer