One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-30 20:41:17

Angel Carrillo

Ideas for genetic fitness

Let me just throw this out here, alright? Here are some ideas I have to make genetic fitness more important.
1. Make it impact lifespan (higher score makes you live longer than 60, lower genetic score (below zero, I'll get to that later) makes your lifespan shorter.)
2. Allow the genetic score to go below zero, as low as -60.
3. A lower genetic score can cause birth defects (these aren't procedural, and at first, you could start with simple ones, like blindness at birth and being unable to speak.)
4. Baldness is not affected by genetic score. You don't have to make a different variation of the same character that doesn't go bald.
5. A genetic score above 0 will cause your head to start drooping down later on in life (genetic score of 20 prevents your head from drooping down altogether.)
6. A genetic score below 0 will cause your head to start drooping down earlier (the earliest your head can start drooping down is 30. And you'll reach that point if you have a genetic score of -10.)
7. Birth defects will start happening to you at genetic score -15
8. This is just an idea that may not happen, but make different character variations that lose hair color later on in life and age better (in terms of appearance) that you get if you have a higher genetic score. Likewise, make different character variations that age worse in terms of appearance if you have a lower genetic score.
9. A higher genetic score makes you speedier (up to 1.8 x faster than normal.) Also it will make you lose speed later on, and eventually make you not lose speed.
10. A lower genetic score makes you slower (as low as 0.7 x normal speed) and you will lose speed as early as 35
11. If you have a genetic score of 60 for example, you will be able to say 10 characters at birth (talking babies lol), and be able to say 70 characters (max) at 25.
12. A lower genetic score makes you gain more characters to say later on. Max remains the same.
13. Speed in your youth is affected by genetic score, you'll be slower if your genetic score is lower, and you'll be speedier if your genetic score is higher. Also the speed boost happens earlier with a higher score and later with a lower score.
Those are just my ideas, add your own, improve on mine, criticize. And Jason, please add your opinion. I'd like to know.

Last edited by Angel Carrillo (2019-10-30 20:49:03)

#2 2019-10-30 20:51:03

fug

Re: Ideas for genetic fitness

-Shorter lifespans aren't really a negative and honestly at times are a positive as you avoid time spent infertile.
-Longer lifespans also aren't always a positive either. Who wants to live and be feeble when suicide gets you int a fresh body?
-Birth defects that are bad just means you reroll (blindness) while stuff like being mute has no real drawback besides the inability to name children.
-The head drooping can be done already in your settings. Don't like a sagging head? Just change some files. Don't like your head on your body? That's doable too.
-Speed is interesting but then it just becomes a game of killing yourself when you lose speed as you age since you're already suffering from some sort of negative. Better to enjoy the benefits and move on rather than try to dig out of a hole.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2019-10-30 21:00:51

Angel Carrillo

There shouldn't be a benefit to a low genetic score, it should be a bad thing though.
Longer lifespan could mean you could do more and be young for longer.
I think it's a problem though that you can just kill yourself to get rid of the problem related with losing speed. (Being unable to do as much.)

#4 2019-10-30 21:49:43

pein

I  think we should be able to spend life tokens to play that life with bonuses. Don't know how much people would need. Let's say that you can live 30-40 minutes on average and you play 3 hours a day. You suicide 4-5 times to get back somewhere. So you would need like 5-6 tokens.

Some actions could spend tokens faster like playing with more tools. One life you got 6 tools,  you could choose to spend 3 tokens to have 9 tools.
When you run out, you could play as male to earn tokens.

The low genetic score shouldn't be too punishing. Cosmetics are okay but maybe people abuse it to have them. Some people need the ugly. Plus Jason won't draw more sprites. Also, I'm a bit annoyed about having no control over it. Seeing stats I'm like top 10 easily with average life length. When I played with people on a custom server, I realized they die a whole lot due to small errors. I never die to animals, or anything really, sometimes I'm murdered but mostly I live as long as I want. Now I don't see how is my fault that my kids die, I can't spend all my life with them when they leave me as soon as they grow up and never ask anything. Also, I'm not a food-focused person but pretty sure, that I'm more useful than most people on the camp but the genetic score rarely reflects it. More like a random chance that I spawn with too may people on a dumb camp and people die around me too many times. So it's a bad measurement of skill, so it's a bad currency for tool usage.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-10-31 18:56:57

Angel Carrillo

My question is, how can we make genetic fitness more important?

#6 2019-10-31 20:34:55

pein

its already too important

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-10-31 20:51:07

StrongForce

It will get more important over time
The more tools get adet the more slots you will want to have

I like tool slots

Baby dance!!

#8 2019-10-31 20:53:42

Saolin

It's more important than its ever been, that's why we have all these threads discussing it and how to balance it now for pretty much the first time.

Board footer