One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-29 04:13:27

schmloo

Suggestion: Banners

I know suggestions are frowned upon, so I’ll keep this short.

I feel towns don’t have much identity, and difference between them is defined through very small layout changes. As well as this, citizenship is non-existent, you’re simply a person in a town.

Banners, made by combining a tied long shaft and some process of dyed cloth, can be right clicked to add “of (town name)” to the end of someone’s name. By saying “of (town name)” when holding the banner, it assigns the town name to the banner. The banner can then be placed on stone walls like signs can.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-10-29 04:16:19)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2019-11-01 02:14:17

TitaniaDioxide

Re: Suggestion: Banners

Oooh this sounds awesome!  It could add some interesting interactions between players trying to integrate into towns.  I could also see destroying a banner (maybe needing some tool to take it apart, and then burning it) being considered an act of war in some way (maybe anyone belonging to that town is now at war with you in particular, and if they attack you, they are now at war with anyone from your town).  Towns actually seem like a better way to handle war than families.

#3 2019-11-01 10:09:18

Amon

I would say it might be interesting if the banner making process were slightly similair to how it's done in minecraft, rather than textual.

First you make your pattern plan. Perhaps some easy partitioning like plain colour, quartering and horizontal, diagonal and vertical half. Combine it with an item of choosing. Wolf skin for wolf emblem, mouflon hide for mouflon, carrot for a carrot, bear pelt for bear, rabbit skin for bunny. Rose for a rose symbol. Sheep skelleton for horned skull, human skelleton for human skull. Perhaps even include hats in an emblem why not.

Then you run your banner plan through the dyes you want it to include. The fields are coloured with a LEFT-top to BOTTOM-right priority with the emblem coloured last.

It would be pretty fun if you could not only attach it to property fences, walls and just stick them on the ground. It would be pretty nice if you could carry it to battle, your friends around you will have certain bonuses like longer bleedout timer perhaps or betterish speed.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-11-01 18:58:04

Don Holm

Jason doesn't read suggestions anymore, don't waste your time.

#5 2019-11-01 19:35:19

fug

Don Holm wrote:

Jason doesn't read suggestions anymore, don't waste your time.

Regardless of how you feel he does read suggestions on stuff (see the recent bait bag suggestion.) Sure, it can feel frustrating to suggest something and not see it but to spread misinformation doesn't help either side any.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2019-11-01 19:51:04

CatX

My impression is that Jason is trying to get the "core" of the game to work, and that once Jason feels it works, other implementations will come. But that's just my interpretation.

#7 2019-11-01 21:09:54

Amon

Plenty of changes were molded by player suggestions.

Plus, this is a pretty neat idea, I want it discussed more even if just for fun.

Art!!

#8 2019-11-01 23:32:01

schmloo

Amon wrote:

I would say it might be interesting if the banner making process were slightly similair to how it's done in minecraft, rather than textual.

Sorry for the late reply, this is all well and good with the pattern-making building on from templating, similar to crown-making, however the part about it being similar to Minecraft jumps out as being a bit off, as there’s a consistent theme for lack of minimal UI. So keeping this in mind, I’m not quite sure how the diagonal, chequered, or etc. patterns would be made. Also, such a process would need to be simple enough for appropriate ease of replication with regards to the current tech level.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-11-02 01:59:15)

#9 2019-11-01 23:41:52

schmloo

CatX wrote:

My impression is that Jason is trying to get the "core" of the game to work, and that once Jason feels it works, other implementations will come. But that's just my interpretation.

That’s all well and good, but before long new players will begin to dwindle as the steam reviews (a pretty huge factor) turn more and more red. I could bitch about the lack of content, but I don’t feel I know enough to judge the balance between work towards bug fixes and work needed to make new things. So I’ll just say that as a player, I hope the rift is removed fairly soon. Pumpkins and halloween goodies were a nice touch though.

#10 2019-11-03 11:59:49

Whatever

If i make a map of a town i often dont know how to describe it, or if i want to talk to other people about a town.

So it would be great to have an object that gives the town an identity.
Right now you can make a sign with a town name, but thats a lot of work and nearly no one does it.

What if this banner automatically generates a random name when you make it, like the arc name.
If its placed down and you come into its range (50 tiles) for the first time, a message pops up "entering *random name* town".

#11 2019-11-03 14:01:47

Amon

schmloo wrote:
Amon wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, this is all well and good with the pattern-making building on from templating, similar to crown-making, however the part about it being similar to Minecraft jumps out as being a bit off, as there’s a consistent theme for lack of minimal UI. So keeping this in mind, I’m not quite sure how the diagonal, chequered, or etc. patterns would be made. Also, such a process would need to be simple enough for appropriate ease of replication with regards to the current tech level.

Perhaps if you've read my post more thoroughly you'd notice I wasn't even slightly suggesting to have a crafting UI system like in minecraft, but that it should be remiscent of minecraft with the use of different dyes and game-specific stencil designs instead of simply being a textual descriptor.

The background pattern could be easily be just simply cycled through with a characoal drawing before you stencil on an animal or letter stock. How you colour it orderly I already explained.

Art!!

Board footer