One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-28 01:10:35

Gogo
Banned

Most common and annoying things that players do

1. boxes

Don't make boxes right next to door or directly at someone's path (like from fire to oven in kitchen). Take time, observe and think where you need to place them (and how many)! Don't make too many boxes next to each other without space, forcing players to run more than they need.

2. reorganization

I often see that someone takes off the door, another player put them back on, someone takes them off again.. And it's not about improving doors. Is it griefing or what? Leave things as they are! Many people have different taste what should be done/improve and your work probably will be reorganized as well.

3. devastation (griefing?)

Don't take boards/stones from floor. Don't smash walls. You are wasting tool. Someone placed them with a reason. Someone want to build cemetery  - fine! Someone want to start building walls - fine! A house - fine! Fence - fine! It's better to have something than nothing (as long as if it's not like in point 1.).

4. crowd

Don't stand and do nothing or chat in veeery crowded place, especially when it's kitchen + fire with babies. People need space, and with crowds it can get too laggy.

5. rush

Don't immediately stab the killer because you wanna be a hero. Especially if the person is not running or he/she says something. Ask WTF happened.

Last edited by Gogo (2019-10-28 01:11:28)

#2 2019-10-28 09:53:38

Kaveh

Re: Most common and annoying things that players do

1. Boxes next to each other without space can be super annoying. I've seen people put boxes in corners of rooms and then a box to the side AND below it, so there was no way to reach the first box. Then they got mad when I tried to move one.
2. Noticed the things with doors too. I like having doors on buildings (cuz pretty), but I think a lot of people take them down because it's an extra click to get inside and they don't want to have to deal with that lol (ESPECIALLY springy doors which again I really like, so organized). It doesn't have anything to do with griefing or wanting it to look different, but with being annoyed at how doors work in the first place. I think people would leave doors alone if they'd open automatically for sure.
3. I agree that sometimes people take down things too fast, but what also happens is someone got to build half a wall in a random place and then didn't come back to finish it after. You could say it's a waste of a pickaxe to use it to tear down the wall, but if you don't do that you need a shovel, chisel and mallet/adze to get your own stones PLUS you have a random wall standing around that perhaps nobody will finish. Nyeh. Same with redirecting roads or placing other types of floor somewhere else. If it's part of a whole or someone is working on it (or was recently), leave it there for sure. If not, :shrug: (but don't get salty if people tell you to put it back. put it back or convince them why your idea is better)
4. IMO the fire should never be inside the kitchen or smithy to begin with. Move it somewhere else (the nursery or medic station, usually) so you have a place to gather/talk.
5. Not something I've seen a lot tbh, but yeah, ask first stab later.

#3 2019-10-28 10:04:07

Dodge

The days of communism are counted mark my words!

#4 2019-10-28 14:08:10

miskas

Dodge wrote:

why someone would need to have a separate property from the rest of the vilage?
What the advantages of having a property to not having one?

Then what would he put in that property, Iron, oil, food, clothes? Storage is very expensive for a start so it will have to be fair big fence.

What I could think of if I was a Mother is to build property close to the sheep pen and put pies and clothes inside for my future children. I sould not have many so others don't kill me for that.

I will test this and tell you how it went.
I will also try to exchange things to obtain better clothes anything I want to store must not decay.

how will I make the transaction? 
will I need a market table? (fence box)
How will I inform other players of what I sell and what I want?
Ether make a paper and drop it inside the box for anyone that passes by or start yelling around.

Then what I yell or write?
I need tshirt,what you need?(28 letters= age 27)

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-28 14:13:22)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2019-10-28 14:33:42

arkajalka

The grave yards stones are always grieffed forge flats...

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2019-10-28 14:37:29

PeebleCreek

I can't speak for those other door-removing people, but I know in my case, it's usually just that I'm an idiot who forgets I'm holding a knife and tries to open it, knife in hand. So then I just fuckin cut it off the wall on accident.

My sincerest apologies to everyone who has had to put up with my dumb ass in your town.

I always name my first daughter Amala, and my first son Damen.

#7 2019-10-28 16:02:51

Jwillc

When players eat carrots as if they're berries. Munch several carrots in a row when there's an abundance of other foods. When players put three pies in their backpack even though they're working in town.

It's not common but it's enough for me to throw off all my clothes and go die in a corner.

#8 2019-10-28 16:11:16

Gogo
Banned

@PeebleCreek - so that's the case with doors! Thanks for explanation.

miskas wrote:

What the advantages of having a property to not having one?

For example a storage. Today my mom retrieve stolen engine, I was then holding a cart with engine and kerosene, just to keep them safe while she was working. Before her death I promised I'll think of something, so I build a small fence and store the engine there, luckily mom came back as another kid and completed the diesel well.

miskas wrote:

will I need a market table? (fence box) How will I inform other players of what I sell and what I want?

Yeah, I think fence box and make sign with letters.

Sadly, it's takes too much effort to make things like: ropes (for properties), letters (for information). Also fence must be renewed in corners, so it means running to other side of fence. Eh... That's why we're stuck with making foods/water/slaughter in villages, because other things takes too much effort and gives no equal fun. I like idea of properties.

Kaveh wrote:

3. I agree that sometimes people take down things too fast, but what also happens is someone got to build half a wall in a random place and then didn't come back to finish it after.

It's ok to grab materials from rather abandoned or silly projects, I just wait some time and look if someone don't work on it.

Kaveh wrote:

4. IMO the fire should never be inside the kitchen or smithy to begin with. Move it somewhere else (the nursery or medic station, usually) so you have a place to gather/talk.

Why not inside, or near, kitchen? One fire serves three places, mothers need sometimes good food from kitchen so I think it's best when they are right next to it.

---
I also agree about 3 pie's in bpacks. That's why when there is enough clothes and time I grab bpack and place three different foods inside, then give it to kid and try to teach him/her about what to eat and when. ;P

Last edited by Gogo (2019-10-28 16:22:35)

#9 2019-10-28 16:14:38

schmloo

Dodge wrote:

Yes, I will trade you 1 baby worker who knows intermediate smithing for half your supply of pies.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#10 2019-10-28 17:02:03

Kaveh

Gogo wrote:

Why not inside, or near, kitchen? One fire serves three places, mothers need sometimes good food from kitchen so I think it's best when they are right next to it.

Near yes, inside nah. I usually try to create a nursery right next to the kitchen or in between the kitchen & smithy. It's just annoying when people are standing around the fire in front of the oven or forge. Better to move the fire like 5 tiles to the side and not be in the way.

#11 2019-10-28 17:25:48

JonySky
Website

Gogo wrote:

For example a storage. Today my mom retrieve stolen engine, I was then holding a cart with engine and kerosene, just to keep them safe while she was working. Before her death I promised I'll think of something, so I build a small fence and store the engine there, luckily mom came back as another kid and completed the diesel well.

This history shows that child suicide is broken again
For weeks I have noticed that child suicide is worryingly high (again)
I think they should take more lives from respawn
It is disgusting to try to create a satellite city and watch all your children commit suicide one after another to finally die completely alone at 60

It is currently very easy to use / die to travel back to the city of your previous life
Now you could implement a button to reappear in the same city without "disturbing" anyone who really needs children
With this new mechanics of limited skills, it is necessary to have children to be able to create a satellite city, if you do not have children or all have committed suicide, you cannot create everything you need.

Last edited by JonySky (2019-10-28 17:36:13)

#12 2019-10-29 02:51:47

pein

1. Berry planters. bushes are blocking elements as you can't move and they won't go dry in a busy city. so people who break a pattern then fix those out of order bushes in random places are so annoying. They generally soil a bush you want to dig and never water it. So you lose time until you notice, 8 more minutes to grow berries, 2 more minutes to go brown, then if the same thing happens these 10 wasted minutes go to 20.
Generic berry farms with + signs around a well. None of my towns had that lately.
Berries near walls, that is dumb, that straightly suggest that you consider berries as food to be eaten on spot, it's not, ideally, you pick in bowls all the time if you don't leave a tile to put down a bowl and access to any bush, then you are part of the problem.
Fix first, extend later (or don't extend just ask). If you plant new bush before fixing the already brown ones, you waste the only advantage of the berries ( no tilling required) also 4 minutes of growth extra. More bushes won't mean more food just möre work, average output per soil and water is same, bushes aren't containers, they need to be picked down once they grow food, put soil on them and water, restarting the process. That's natural. If you got food and no berries, it's fine. Teach people not to eat berries. 20 bushes are enough for any size of the family. If not, then you got too many munchers, anyway, planting more wont help. Planting actually requires IQ as it's hard to undo.

2 fences, especially random around tree fences. If you want to fence a town, go further, cut trees, dig stones and empty soil pits, make a straight fucking fence which is 4 straight lines around town.

3 fences and multi-culture. There is no reason closing up the town when you got multiple families inside. They are already in. So either don't let those eves and other families in or kill them if you will. But locking up other families is a dick move.  Also when others don't speak your language and you can't communicate, it's a damn mess, If you got fences around your town, your ancestors had problems with others. Respect that and close your doors or move out yourself. You either got a closed town and keep your name or open town and make it really open. Don't mix these things. Also, don't curse or kill your own family members for killing intruders, ou got your opinion, talk about it or keep it for yourself. most multi towns don't work, and especially when you limit it with fences.

4 bad sheep pens. fence pens are temporary. Make a new one before the old is decayed. Don't fix if it looks bad. If it's using real resources, make it square(square has more centre and fewer edge tiles, each corner needs to be walled 3 sides, each side 2 walls, while center requires no walls.
Randomly placed pens. Make some effort and think about logistics. It's the most important structure of the town. You can have multiple pens, you can start making new.

5 cutting green trees for firewood and chopping firewood to kindling, burning logs. Cutting out a whole tree to make a dumb shoe which gonna be lost behind a tree anyway. Logs are for boards and disks. Make a damn fur shoe, a whole tree for a shoe doesn't seem a good deal when you get so much benefit from having floors (mental mostly).
Plant the damn trees. Plant 8 pines each hour, it's needed for a constant fire. Trees are important factor for kindling, straight branches, paper, fences, short shafts, boards and even for the ambience. Nothing worse than an empty map where there are no trees.

6 grave diggers. It's the most annoying when they bring bones back to the city, or dig it where they died or when they put flat rocks on each. It's a waste of time, waste of shovel, waste of space. Take out the bones outside the fences or like 40 away. Only bury people you knew. Nobody is so important that you need to block tiles with their grave. Ask someone where you should bury.
A fence around the town means you got limited space, don't fill it with useless bones.

7 garbage, stew farms mid-city, useless items mid-city, clothes near the forge, things that don't belong to their group. Keep it clean and organized, grouped by type.

8 rp for kills or clothes or useless drama. Don't bother others with your shit. No one cares. Don't follow others, don't take knife if you not working with it. Don't claim clothes for your existence. It's yours when you made it. I leave several aprons, packs and pants every town and when i get back i can't get them back.

9 sword is not a decoration, you either are at war or not, you should secure them and take when necessary, it's not for looks, rods are not made for you to make swords out of it, they needed for engines and pipes, don't waste steel to decorate yourself.

10 don't water all carrots if you don't pick them. don't need 3 seed rows, you need one, or not even, there are plenty of seeds in the world. You don't need 100 carrots, you need like 20 every 10 minutes, not 100 once. It's not for food, is for berry bowls with carrot and maybe some carrot pies.

11 don't steal resources, don't rip up floors to put elsewhere, make your own boards, same amount of work, don't be a lazy fuck, go out and get your own or ask if you can use it. Don't make random shit from adobe, get your own. Don't waste other people time by stealing their horse, their cart, their resources. You are not special, others are not your slaves.

12 don't curse for no reason and don't echo curses if you are a subjective idiot, that's your problem, framers are the worst people who deserve to be killed. Don't be a sheep, think for yourself.

13 feeding babies is not a job, you are not required to stay near them, you can feed them each 0.4 age with no fire, that's like walking 40 tiles, with fire you got even more, you can wait until they step out of fire or tell they hungry, watch your own pips, they need to lose 2-3-4 pips, you lose the same amount until you need to feed. It's annoying if you throw babies around all the time, it's wasteful if the camp has no food.

14 smithing is time-sensitive ad groundwork is necessary. Don't disturb the smith, don't cover, don't take tools out of his hand, don't smash the steel already finalized, don't take the steel if you havent made the iron and charcoal for it, don't mess with the engine parts, you can ask after the fire is out, until then be patient.

Few more but these are annoying.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer