One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-25 23:59:56

Keyin

The trade-off of building stone walls

This topic is to address a pro-waller I came across in game.

I was born into the Righter family as Whitney Righter. My older brother Liam Righter said something along the lines of "Help me build wall"
I told him something along the lines of "Nah, walls are bad"
My baby brother Cole Righter said "No, don't listen to her she is noob, walls are good keep you warm"

As far as I am aware, in order for a building to keep you warm you need all doors closed and a fire inside the building. So as far as I am aware here is the cost benefit analysis I went through before coming to the conclusion walls are bad:

COST:
-Time to build/move rocks
-Iron for chisel
-Opportunity cost of other potential large rock uses
-Walls can severely limit movement, which adds up to a lot of time wasted over many lifetimes
-Walls take up a significant amount of valuable space near center of town

NEUTRAL: - Really hard to destroy/prevent rebuilding Can only destroy for a small window of time.
Can be good or bad. Bad if building is really small with only one door. Bad if someone placed many walls to troll. Good if building isn't huge or small and has doors on all four sides for easy access.

BENEFIT:
-Looks good to some people
-Arguably somewhat helps organization
-doesn't require maintenance
-keeps you warm late-game if all doors remain closed

Honestly, by the time the building is done your town is probably fully clothed already.

The only people who spend a lot of time inside one building with the doors closed are babies, and mothers will overfeed them anyway so no real need.

You can achieve perfect temperature as a baby by moving on and off the fire. Most babies don't do this and overheat, hence the mothers overfeeding their babies.

The first benefit doesn't apply to me, the second can be achieved using only wood flooring,  and the other two are very niche benefits in my opinion.

Honestly the more walls a place has the less I want to play in that town.

So, due to the subjective nature of value, I deemed walls 'bad' and was called a noob by someone whom I imagine has quite a bit of experience. Just thought I would share my thoughts.

If I missed any costs or benefits, let me know.

#2 2019-10-26 00:20:03

mensrea

Re: The trade-off of building stone walls

A fire is not required in a building. The building greatly increases the insulation of worn clothing. While fully clothed in a proper building your temperature meter and food consumption is optimized, approximately equal to standing naked on a small fire. This greatly helps babies if a mom is inattentive or busy. Also, preparing pies in a proper building minimizes food usage.

My preference in these short wipes is to have a smaller building solely dedicated to cloth storage and players standing around. It's even great for players who need to afk for a bit. Another use is if you're yumming, low on pips, and need a place to wait while a fire is dying down.

In summary, buildings were greatly buffed and don't require a fire inside. At least one building is worth it if you have idling players or babies.

#3 2019-10-26 00:20:57

pein

WYWg735.jpg

All you need a T shape made of walls/doors, and close the door on yourself
Doors are portable walls so they are superior

Heat bonus is basically nothing, like one shoe worth of heat if all conditions met. And because the fire radiation is way better than the room bonus, you don't get basically any bonus for a building that would have any sort of usability based on size. The only bonus i would consider is medium heat, that is only viable for 1x5 or 5x1 size as you need to be at least 3 away from the fire to not be too hot, and divide 2.5 (that's a fire heat value) per tiles inside the room
so basically you would need 2 fires to heat a room of 2x10 in 2 tiles, meanwhile, you get 4 perfect tiles outside with no fire
Actually a fire on ice tile is close to perfect

I like to build 8 pillars and stick a cow in the middle of it, or a penguin. City walls are probably decent

The other day I planted 27 trees as a pen and south side fence/fence box and oven. eventually some idiots cut it for firewood. Then they made a stone building in its place with no function at all

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-10-26 02:57:28

fug

Buildings are basically bad due to lacking anything you need to do in them longer than a few seconds. The perfect building ends up being a T like pein posted due to any activity you do indoors can be done from that setup. Same thing can be done with fishing with a single T building which was the original design.

You really don't need buildings in game except as a fancy looking boundary or well more importantly you don't need finished buildings. Generally speaking the best building is three walls and a row of boxes that can be dismantled or moved just to keep weirdos from hanging out.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2019-10-26 03:54:58

mensrea

pein wrote:

The only bonus i would consider is medium heat, that is only viable for 1x5 or 5x1 size as you need to be at least 3 away from the fire to not be too hot, and divide 2.5 (that's a fire heat value) per tiles inside the room so basically you would need 2 fires to heat a room of 2x10 in 2 tiles, meanwhile, you get 4 perfect tiles outside with no fire
Actually a fire on ice tile is close to perfect

What is a medium heat bonus? Are you talking about the size of the fire? Definitely standing on a fire in a valid building is going to be worse for your temperature than standing on the same fire outside.

I'm talking from experience that sitting in a building without a fire is excellent for your player temperature. That screenshot you posted, if you toss a couple of pieces of clothes on, the temperature would be much closer to the middle - no fire is required.

#6 2019-10-26 04:02:51

Coconut Fruit

Buildings are for esthetic purposes and it's not less important to make them than any other things. I experienced many times how lazy and useless people were in messy and ugly towns. Little cleaning and everyone saw a sense to work again, a town starts working again.
Towns wouldn't survive without floors and buildings just because of psychology reasons. People will be less likely to care about messy, ugly town.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2019-10-26 07:26:03

pein

no mensrea, insulation is how fast you lose temperature, not gain

anyway sitting in a place is not a fun mechanic and not really needed, most activities are active, and most advanced players got to gather stuff, possible that you stuff 10 people inside then you save a pie or so, but then those 10 people could make a pie while not standing in a place

medium heat bonus is when your heat is on medium, anything lower than that is not worth it

plus im certain that good towns have floors around farms not idiotic shoes and floored buildings

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-10-26 13:50:33

miskas

That counts for me too, The more walls a place has the less I want to play in that town.

Most of them are bad designs, They limit expansion, logistics, practically don't offer anything cause doors are never closed because people need to be moving. Even with spring doors doesn't matter cause the only person that will remain for more than a minute in them is a lazy player or a mother with a baby.  Even the cook will go out to gather stuff and the cook is only 1 person in a whole village.

If we could reposition them and rebuild them to more proper buildings would be nice.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer