One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-18 23:23:11

antking:]#

The positives

So Rabbits suck, the bait is bad and Jason just ruined fur clothing, and a billion other problems with the rabbit change, that have already been stated

so I want to focuse on the positives, traveling through the Rift will get a lot easer:'

because of MAPS:
https://edge.onetech.info/versions

I am not excited for this next update but, maps are something I was silently longing for a long time

Last edited by antking:]# (2019-10-18 23:57:43)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-10-18 23:35:42

sigmen4020

Re: The positives

Maps are neat and I hope they are implemented well. Just a shame that it’s gonna accompany such a terrible change.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-19 08:00:25)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-10-19 00:00:12

DestinyCall

Try not to get your hopes up too high about the maps.   

It looks like they are going to work more like upgraded home markers, rather than anything really map-like.   Useful for marking and returning to key locations, but providing very limited information about the marked location to the user.   I'm interested to see how well they work in-game, but I suspect they will end up like paper.

Huge potential, but rarely utilized for anything useful.  The rare important maps lost in a sea of trash maps that mark nothing of any value.

#4 2019-10-19 05:48:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You name the map by speaking a phrase when you create it.  That title can be as useful or useless as you want it to be.

MAP TO THE SOUTH OIL FIELD

etc.... is possible.  Same limit as the length of text on a piece of paper, which is limited based on how hold you are when you create it.  Maps can be erased to be reused, and like paper, an elder can make them permanent with ink.

I hope you all see how this is a major game-changer.

This was inspired in part by what I saw people doing last arc with the End Tower Maze.  Emergent player-created "quests" have always been one of my goals.

Imagine finally getting into the center of a locked maze and finding a map to a treasure...

#5 2019-10-19 08:00:39

Amon

That's always been something in game. An elder running to town in an early camp going:
IRON VEIN SOUTH, SLIGHTLY TO THE EAST. And then hoping people remember that after his death.
Was very much a staple activity even back then.

Love to see in game behaviours reinforced and supported with features.

Jason, why is the map on indigo paper?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-10-19 12:52:49

Starknight_One

Amon wrote:

That's always been something in game. An elder running to town in an early camp going:
IRON VEIN SOUTH, SLIGHTLY TO THE EAST. And then hoping people remember that after his death.
Was very much a staple activity even back then.

Love to see in game behaviours reinforced and supported with features.

Jason, why is the map on indigo paper?

It's a blueprint.

#7 2019-10-19 13:12:46

Don Holm

jasonrohrer wrote:

You name the map by speaking a phrase when you create it.  That title can be as useful or useless as you want it to be.

MAP TO THE SOUTH OIL FIELD

etc.... is possible.  Same limit as the length of text on a piece of paper, which is limited based on how hold you are when you create it.  Maps can be erased to be reused, and like paper, an elder can make them permanent with ink.

I hope you all see how this is a major game-changer.

This was inspired in part by what I saw people doing last arc with the End Tower Maze.  Emergent player-created "quests" have always been one of my goals.

Imagine finally getting into the center of a locked maze and finding a map to a treasure...

FFs jason you making a map but completely ignoring our needs for signs?! We need signs to point out places, the current system to make letters is so ridiculously hard no one uses it at all, make letters uses from infinite resources like the property fences, it's a simple update that could change everything! Listen to us for once!

#8 2019-10-19 19:08:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I don't want the world cluttered with signs.

Look at how that ended up in Minecraft, with signs everywhere.

Signs are hard to make for a reason.  If you see a sign in this game, it's a very special thing.

Paper writing is relatively cheap, and look at how that's being used.  At least it doesn't fill the game visually with writing everywhere.  If you want to ignore all the paper writing, just don't pick it up to read it.

#9 2019-10-19 19:09:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

And in Rust.... sheesh, even worse:

hqdefault.jpg

#10 2019-10-20 00:44:21

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't want the world cluttered with signs.

Look at how that ended up in Minecraft, with signs everywhere.

Minecraft has been drastically popular.  So, it sounds like signs are good to me.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Signs are hard to make for a reason.

Your whole attitude here is poor and holds you back.  It's a very poor part of your process.  Yes, I mean that.  Instead of listening to someone who payed for your game you try to tell them that your taste is superior.  Your taste doesn't matter Jason.  It never did, because you're not a paying customer.  It doesn't matter that Kurt Cobain liked his voice (actually, since he committed suicide, he might have disliked his voice).  It mattered that people who bought Nirvana's albums or payed for their concerts liked his voice.

The people expressing their criticism of your game in terms of their preferences about signs have good reason to speak as they do, because that's their preferences and they are part of the consumer base.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-10-20 00:49:22

The_Anabaptist

Lol.  List what still makes you happy.  Makes it easier to fix for next week.

I'll start with some reverse-psychology.  I love it when I'm playing on a Saturday afternoon and I get a Server Shut-Down message and it doesn't even record my artificially short life in the genetics stats.

The_Anabaptist

#12 2019-10-20 08:18:53

Amon

Naw Jason, don't diss on minecraft signs ;P . If you've been to 2b2t you'd know that those freestanding signs that survived griefing prove as a rather cathartic recording that seems more like the written remnants of a public consciousness. Especially if their writer has been long gone. Graffiti will laways exist, it existed 1500 years ago too.
And no less are signs part of RTGames' builds where people try bring forth a message to say, always, or make giant lists of people who've left a mark there. Those are fun recordings and important to historians in rl too as a deep dive into a person's consciousness. Think elaborate cathedrals are minecraft aesthetic builds? Wrong, it's the jumbled up mishmashes that been present since day 1, and 'littered' up with signs on every corner.

Honestly, even because signs are hard to make, doesen't make they'd suddenly start litter up the whole countryside. Just because it's easy; or cheap, or free, doesen't mean it'll be common, we've got plenty of ohol tech to prove. At most I imagine some person will make it their pet project to litter part of the map with some song lyrics or the bee movie script.
At best, people will label houses or streets and make life much easer.

But the only thing I can think of on making it easier is to make skever shaving more sensible... A single skever could give 3 letter blanks. And when you try to get the '-' letter you actually get two instead of having this baby carrot deal of chipping an entire skever into a smal smal smal wood chip.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer