You are not logged in.

#76 2019-10-19 19:37:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Rabbits will no longer respawn, ponds will no longer refill

#77 2019-10-19 20:25:15

CatX

I think residents of OHOL should go on a mass strike and refuse to make another berry carrot bowl until a farming update happens wink

#78 2019-10-19 20:31:47

Spoonwood

So, it's effectively 3 pips worth of food if using a burdock for 10 pips from a cooked rabbit.  I think that's alright.  But, it's (37 / 3) = 12.3... pips worth of food for a cooked rabbit.  I don't think that's worth it.  Some people on the discord said that using a carrot would have been fine as bait.  I don't agree, that would have been too many pips of cost for the product.  I thought a berry might be worth it.  With a bowl of berries and a carrot used to make bait, I'd think 10 bait from a mashed berry-carrot bowl would be a suitable number. 

I really don't see how so many berries and a carrot could make just as much bait as a burdock.  I would think that the mass of a bowl of berries and a carrot would be much higher than that of a burdock.

I do like the idea of special grasses used to make hay better than burdock or a bowl of berries and a carrot as bait.  Grasses that could be domesticated for rabbit bait, along with rabbit domestication, I would guess would be welcome among the player population.  I don't think there's much opposition to the idea of bait all together, just it has to cost a relatively small amount so that rabbit hunting still has value.

Edit: But I don't think that people would be fine with bait, because it would provide more 'challenge'.  I don't think that a substantial number of people who might stop playing or will start playing in the future want more challenge.  The bait thing adds a little more realism to it, since animals are more likely to run by a trap with bait than one without bait.  And there's another idea... rabbits could appear from their holes with a certain probability.  That probability drastically increases with bait.  Thus, bait would enable rabbits to get caught faster than without bait.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-10-19 20:40:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#79 2019-10-19 20:41:22

pein

DestinyCall wrote:

Actually, moving around a herd of sheep would be an interesting mini-game.    Animals kept in bare pastures could be fed using hay or grain, but rotating the flock to greener pastures would be a valid strategy, if it took a while for the sheep to eat all the grass.     You could have free-range sheep tending, with a large flock which is herded between naturally grassy areas by a shepherd.   Or your village could have dedicated fields, fenced in to contain the sheep, and kept green by rotating the animals between pastures every hour or so.   

We even have collies in the game.   So moving sheep could be made easier by having more people help manage the herd or by using a sheep dog.

sounds good but actually, the client doesn't support tile changes, as far as I know, maybe if the grass would be an item on any tile that has no other item, so basically a filler, then the animals poop and grow back the grass
btw sheep eats potato as well
maybe dogs could push back the lone sheep and defend them from attacks, wolfs could attack sheep if they get close and alone

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#80 2019-10-20 17:13:45

Saolin

These rabbits have gotten so picky! Demanding a plate to eat off of.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-10-20 17:14:28)

#81 2019-10-20 17:51:39

Glassius

I used to play OHOL in past. I come here sometimes to check if Jason is putting more fun or more grind into the game. See you next time

Last edited by Glassius (2019-10-20 17:52:17)

#82 2019-10-20 19:56:04

DestinyCall

It looks like the current development direction is to increased scarcity and reduce choices.   Each player decision is supposed to be costly and important and singular.    Unfortunately, this means you have less to do and everything is harder.   

Personally, I don't like it at all.    I would rather have more options and more resources.   I'd like the freedom to do what I want with my time.   Making simple jobs more tedious and strictly limiting necessary resources to impose scarcity doesn't improve my enjoyment of the game.

#83 2019-10-20 20:39:26

Ilka

I think that this pleasure is not improved by the result we strive for.
And this result is destruction and starting everything from the beginning.
If there was a positive goal, e.g. build a bridge over the rift and move to the other world, it would be really nice.
All players united to escape from the box build a suspension bridge with a thousand ropes and a thousand long shafts.
That would be a real challenge ...

#84 2019-10-21 00:22:32

DestinyCall

I think the only goal at this point is to see how long we can stay alive in a depleted rift.   We aren't going to be allowed to leave the box, because that would mean we would have access to more resources and we could keep things going indefinitely, if we tried hard enough.  We aren't supposed to "win".   We are supposed to lose ... but you know ... nice and slow.   

Every decision is supposed to be hard with death constantly looming around the next corner.   The wrong choice means the village will collapses right now.    The right choice means it collapses later on, when somebody else makes the wrong choice (or the right choice but at the wrong time).    On the upside, all of your choices will matter because what you choose to do in each life will make a real difference on the game world by depleting limited resources and leaving the next generation with less to do.  On the downside, nothing really matters because the whole game is being balanced around a state of inevitable collapse, followed by server wipe.

I'm really sick of the rift.

#85 2019-10-21 00:58:15

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

I think the only goal at this point is to see how long we can stay alive in a depleted rift.   We aren't going to be allowed to leave the box, because that would mean we would have access to more resources and we could keep things going indefinitely, if we tried hard enough.  We aren't supposed to "win".   We are supposed to lose ... but you know ... nice and slow.   

Every decision is supposed to be hard with death constantly looming around the next corner.   The wrong choice means the village will collapses right now.    The right choice means it collapses later on, when somebody else makes the wrong choice (or the right choice but at the wrong time).    On the upside, all of your choices will matter because what you choose to do in each life will make a real difference on the game world by depleting limited resources and leaving the next generation with less to do.  On the downside, nothing really matters because the whole game is being balanced around a state of inevitable collapse, followed by server wipe.

I'm really sick of the rift.

Are you sure you don't like each week being an attempt to make the game worse for the sole purpose of eventually getting the game to a state where living inside the box is so terrible you'll pray for death from your neighbor or sister? Are you telling me slowly pulling the bandage off for a month hasn't made for thrilling or exciting game play?

It'd be nice if we weren't working to make the game bad for the sake of some goal we're not even close to reaching. Next you know you'll have to walk back for forth between the firing forge and flat rocks because players are converting iron too fast for him.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer