One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 15:18:59

Booklat1

Oil and survival

Hi, what are your opinions on oil after the last update? Is it too hard to find? Did you see any depleted spot in the past days or towns that died because of it?

How about water? Were you ever in a life in which there were no more springs or other source of water?
Iron? stones? Tell me everything folks.

thanks

#2 2019-10-15 15:49:29

Coconut Fruit

Re: Oil and survival

I had 2 days break so idk, but 2 days ago I spent my life on turning one nearby natural spring into newcomen pump and bringing as much water as possible. I think I brought enough water for an entire day and it was only one spring. There were at least 2 more natural springs very very near the town. I don't think water is an issue if someone is getting it from nearby springs. Making many kilns is useful, making charcoal probably takes the most time if a town has only 2 kilns.

I kidna wish water was an issue and yet everyone worked hard on it. But there are too many noobs, towns survive only thanks to few pros. People see exhausted well in town and they think that the town is doomed and they give up on working.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2019-10-15 16:01:22

DestinyCall

I think should skip the diesel water pump and just use iron to make more shovels/shears/hoes.

When the well dries up, switch to cisterns and haul water in upgraded horse carts.

#4 2019-10-15 16:33:25

pein

i think that people should put a cistern between 4 springs, then a fence for horse near springs
a road to each well and around city, then haul the water back to cistern. You use buckets anyway to water stuff.
4 wells give enough time to proceed with  the smithing. Meanwhile, you can plant milkweed, trees, plan out the city. Berry farms seem to be huge nowadays. And not spread out enough. i think we should make fences around 2 wells, the well inside the fence, the town in middle, the size around 20x40. Road above them connecting the wells, farm in middle with cistern, plant trees next to the fences and  some small berry farms with boards limiting the expansion.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-10-15 17:25:26

DestinyCall

I haven't been keeping up with the current state of engines .... Can you remove diesel engines from a car or well?

#6 2019-10-15 17:31:34

Coconut Fruit

pein wrote:

i think that people should put a cistern between 4 springs, then a fence for horse near springs
a road to each well and around city, then haul the water back to cistern. You use buckets anyway to water stuff.

I'm not sure if you saying about making a town between springs, but if you do, I don't think it's a necessary. Transporting water is easy now thanks to tanks, there is no need to plan ahead to be super close to additional springs. You can make even 10 tanks and fill them in one go if you bring enough charcoal to a spring (newcomen pump). Fill cisterns in town and get another 10 tanks. Springs can be even far away and yet it wouldn't be that big problem.

I think arcs could survive very long without oil at all with new newcomen pumps system. Iron would be a big problem without oil but not water I think.

The biggest advantage in engine pumps is the time saved, but they are not as crucial as they used to be. Newcomen pumps are easy water but they are time consuming (getting kindling, making charcoal, transporting charcoal and so on).

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#7 2019-10-15 19:35:14

StrongForce

Yes giving newcomers a boost and water tanks made the rift way more lifable
Genius how so little change can offset the new rarity of oil

Baby dance!!

#8 2019-10-16 17:45:02

Booklat1

So, the update didn't exactly change much right?

don't get me wrong, making water more consistent is nice but I really wished oil would get more valuable. I guess springs are more than enough though.

#9 2019-10-16 18:18:14

Dodge

Booklat1 wrote:

So, the update didn't exactly change much right?

don't get me wrong, making water more consistent is nice but I really wished oil would get more valuable. I guess springs are more than enough though.

Yeah, the issue currently is there is still too many water sources + free/cheap food

Reducing the ammount of springs or limiting them some way and doing balancing on some foods would solve this.

Rabbits for example continuously spawn and some places are full of it, which means basically free food+free clothes, and clothes = food, so they are basically double free food.

You still want to be able to do lower tier clothes because some villages are not advanced enough for the other ones also simply from an aesthetic point of view, plus fur clothes are warmer than the high society ones so nerfing too much rabbits without adding something to counter balance it would be bad.

Maybe it's time for rabbit farming?

Nerfing the spawn rate of rabbits to make them an uninteresting source of food and clothes long term, just enough to quickstart a village but having the possibility to farm them like sheeps, cows etc

2 carrots for one rabbit seems like a good number, berry bowl+carrot would be a nightmare if you had to feed them to each baby rabbit.

#10 2019-10-16 18:41:37

Booklat1

I agree, we should be nerfing base food sources if we want food consumption rates to increase.

honestly I think it's way past the time jason should remove the base +2 bonus and add some more lower tech food recipes (stuff like berry + burdock pie) and ways to process good foods even further ( dairy update?)

making springs and even ponds slightly rarer helps as well.

We just can't afford having a stable berry munching economy and expect it to deplete our resources

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-10-16 18:43:37)

#11 2019-10-16 19:10:24

Dodge

Booklat1 wrote:

I agree, we should be nerfing base food sources if we want food consumption rates to increase.

honestly I think it's way past the time jason should remove the base +2 bonus and add some more lower tech food recipes (stuff like berry + burdock pie) and ways to process good foods even further ( dairy update?)

making springs and even ponds slightly rarer helps as well.

We just can't afford having a stable berry munching economy and expect it to deplete our resources

Yeah being able to thrive on berries is ridiculous.

There should be an abundance of berries and other wild foods at the start but then they should gradually deplete to leave place to higher tier food recipes.

If there is a high number of wild berry bushes at the start but each berry is worth less then berries in general would get a nerf while still having starting berries as a valuable food.

But some higher tier foods should get a boost to balance it.

Food in general needs a rework

#12 2019-10-16 19:43:32

Coconut Fruit

Surviving in very beginning towns is tough and I like it. There is no survival at all in more developed towns which is kind of boring.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer