One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-29 12:19:01

Zem71

31 Generations?

TL;DR - Is there a way to find out information regarding a family line you were part of? Maybe by cross referencing local game logs with the server logs? Thanks. smile

Update: I've been thinking of trying to make charts of family lines and maps migration patterns.

Ramblings:

Last night I was in a carrot farmer's paradise. It was booming and we had a surplus of clothing, food, and shelter. We were composting, rotating water sources, minimizing wood usage, etc.

However, even with all that, the town population eventually dwindled down to just 3 old men. I have theories as to what might have happened  but that's not the point of this post. We acknowledged that this was probably it for the town; we were the last of the family line, and it had been good long run. At that point we stopped farming because the resources would have been wasted and we had enough food feed an army. I spent a few years searching the surrounding area, but never saw anyone, and when I returned home the other 2 men were nowhere to be found either.

I decided to organize and consolidate all the stuff lying around town and figured I'd do that until I died of old age, but I was wrong. Just before I turned 60, a small boy and his mom and baby sister showed up from a failed village. The game revealed they were 4th cousins of mine. They had returned to their ancestral homeland and it now they were fully clothed and could eat like kings on an easily sustainable farm.

Outside of the game I spoke to another friend that I showed screenshots and told the story to. They recognized the village as the same one they had been in a few hours before me. This morning morning I was curious so I checked the OHOL page and noticed the generation record had gone from 26 to 31. Now I'm even curiouser (lol). Is there anyway to find out information regarding a family line you were part of? Maybe by cross referencing local game logs with the server logs?

Please Excuse the Ramblings,
Zem71

Last edited by Zem71 (2018-03-29 13:02:12)

Luddite, Protector of the Monolith, Hoarder of Gold, Father of Dragons

#2 2018-03-29 13:11:54

LavishFox
Website

Re: 31 Generations?

Im curious about this. Where did you get those generation numbers from? I plan on researching this on my server.

#3 2018-03-29 13:17:53

Zem71

LavishFox wrote:

Im curious about this. Where did you get those generation numbers from? I plan on researching this on my server.

They are at the top of the main page.

http://onehouronelife.com/

#4 2018-03-29 13:29:44

llap

How do you know which generation you were? Did everyone count?

llap Olli

#5 2018-03-29 13:46:27

Zem71

llap wrote:

How do you know which generation you were? Did everyone count?

We don't know which generations we were part of, but I'm curious if we were in the same family line as the one that made it to 31 generations long. It would be interesting (to me at least) if we were able to map out family trees from the server data.

Last edited by Zem71 (2018-03-29 13:56:26)

#6 2018-03-29 14:54:53

ned

I would love this, but if there were a lineage aspect, how would we identify specifically who is a part of that lineage? I imagine the only IDs the server gets from us are email, game key, and IP (though feel free to correct me), and those can't be published.

I bet Jason designed this intentionally, the little troll, such that the only way we could ever really know our lineage was to give a Genesis 36-like intro to each child we beget. And their children do the same, and on and on. But that sounds exhausting.

Which, again, brings up another excellent reason to include books and signs...

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#7 2018-03-29 16:48:21

llap

everyone who wants this has to wote here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … n_you_are/

llap Olli

#8 2018-03-29 19:48:41

Uncle Gus

The latest code changes are introducing names; first name and last name. I am speculating here, but maybe Jason is working towards family trees.

#9 2018-03-29 19:51:01

draequine

Books and writing are still high tech beyond our humble villages tech. But hey, Jason is starting to implement naming schemes! Hype!

#10 2018-03-29 20:32:24

Cyniko

Zem Im just curious. Was the carrot farmer running up to people and forcing them to eat carrots while complaining about no Eve's? Iirc we were only two or three left at that point. It was such a bountiful setup, even carts full of carrot seed baskets. I think that was me with you at the end big_smile

#11 2018-03-30 00:21:28

Zem71

Cyniko wrote:

Zem Im just curious. Was the carrot farmer running up to people and forcing them to eat carrots while complaining about no Eve's? Iirc we were only two or three left at that point. It was such a bountiful setup, even carts full of carrot seed baskets. I think that was me with you at the end big_smile

I think there was some of that, but I was away on water runs a lot. Really cool that it looks like names will be added.

#12 2018-03-30 00:24:19

Zem71

Thanks for the replies and the updates. Good info and ideas!

#13 2018-03-30 01:37:12

Alleria

If anyone is curious, the 31 generation dynasty occurred on server 2. I was the last or second last member of the dynasty. About ten - fifteen people wiped out by a griefer with a bow. My close-to menopausal mother killed the griefer with a knife (we had multiple). I was a male, thus couldn't beget children, but we had a couple of Eves find the village before I died.

If you're curious as to how I know which dynasty broke the record, it was simple deduction as there was only one long-term civilisation going at the time (another one that was > twenty had died off a couple hours before hand - not sure how) and the generation ticker was going up upon refresh. It helps that I played 18 hours more or less consecutively lol...

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#14 2018-03-30 02:14:53

Zem71

Alleria wrote:

If anyone is curious, the 31 generation dynasty occurred on server 2. I was the last or second last member of the dynasty. About ten - fifteen people wiped out by a griefer with a bow. My close-to menopausal mother killed the griefer with a knife (we had multiple). I was a male, thus couldn't beget children, but we had a couple of Eves find the village before I died.

If you're curious as to how I know which dynasty broke the record, it was simple deduction as there was only one long-term civilisation going at the time (another one that was > twenty had died off a couple hours before hand - not sure how) and the generation ticker was going up upon refresh. It helps that I played 18 hours more or less consecutively lol...

That certainly sounds like the place. After I had returned from getting water one time, and found just three men left, I also found a corpse with a bow (arrow a few spaces away); and east of that, another corpse with a knife. No murder markings were left because of the elapsed time though. I took the knife and the bow and arrow because no one was around any longer and a griefer, and wolf or a bear were the only threats at that point with such a surplus of food.

#15 2018-03-30 02:56:14

lesslucid

Semi-related rambling: 

If you're going for the record of most generations, isn't it dangerous to keep the whole family at one location? Isn't this "putting all your eggs in one basket"? 

Rather than killing "excess girls", why not have someone carry them over to a nearby village and start a "backup village" nearby? Wouldn't this give a bit more resilience and redundancy to the family line?

#16 2018-03-30 04:05:10

denriguez

lesslucid wrote:

Semi-related rambling: 

If you're going for the record of most generations, isn't it dangerous to keep the whole family at one location? Isn't this "putting all your eggs in one basket"? 

Rather than killing "excess girls", why not have someone carry them over to a nearby village and start a "backup village" nearby? Wouldn't this give a bit more resilience and redundancy to the family line?

Forking your bloodline, in software parlance.

#17 2018-03-30 07:23:17

Kitaelia

lesslucid wrote:

Semi-related rambling: 

That's a great idea actually..

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer