One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-26 23:50:16

Lava

Engine Compromise

If your not going to make Iron engine mines permanent, atleast allow us to deassemble cars that sit around in our village while were struggling to get iron.

#2 2019-09-26 23:58:02

fug

Re: Engine Compromise

Yeah, probably should be able to rip the motor out of cars since they're kind of useless atm.

At the very least you can make an argument for using a car to get iron since you'd just be taking the engine in and out when mining for more iron.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2019-09-27 00:46:02

DestinyCall

That would actually be a pretty cool use for cars AND give you a better way to teansport engines long distances.

Cool idea!

#4 2019-09-27 03:23:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Will do.

#5 2019-09-27 03:43:22

Dodge

Also removing the wings from plane to turn it into a car

#6 2019-09-27 07:01:05

pein

Make well engine require oil to plant them in wells, would mean that you need one charge of kerosene or oil to put on a pump valve before putting that into an exhausted well, this would ensure people don't ruin engines on wells before having oil, cause right now better make oil, use valve on the pump jack and the engine on a mine and get a few iron with the first kerosene before installing the engine on the well
lot of times engines sit on the well doing nothing and town has no oil
they use up the pump valve and the engine
also common griefer method that they steal an engine then they put on a depleted well right next to another engine

this is something i cannot explain ingame, cause they do it anyway

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-09-27 07:24:16

miskas

That is Very nice proposal Pein! Jason do that as well plz!

That way we will have time to actively counter griefing as well.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#8 2019-09-27 08:02:45

Dodge

But then they would just steal the engine before you can put it on a well...

#9 2019-09-27 08:17:46

Don Holm

jasonrohrer wrote:

Will do.

Thank you man!
Please consider Pein's suggestion as well, it is amazing.

#10 2019-09-27 08:20:32

miskas

Dodge wrote:

But then they would just steal the engine before you can put it on a well...

that's also good if happens cause will teach people to do the efficient thing and go for oil first before making an engine.

stealing btw is not so bad if he cants render it useless.

Last edited by miskas (2019-09-27 08:22:20)

Food value stats

#11 2019-09-27 08:49:47

MrShuriken

Im the one making like 80% of cars tbf
ive legit only seen one complete car not made by me.

If you're gonna allow people to take the engines i make from the cars, can i be allowed to get a lock on the cars so no one car go in it besides me?
Like im sick of people stealing the cars and ditching them on the edge of the map

#12 2019-09-27 14:44:24

DestinyCall

Maybe just stop making cars ...

#13 2019-09-27 16:49:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Why not just let engines get removed from wells too?

There's always a problem if an engine can get "stuck" somewhere, because that might not be the place where it's needed, and an engine is SO much work (and iron).

I know you don't like them removable, b/c of theft, but.... you can't have it both ways.  They can either get stuck or stolen.  And you do have fences to prevent theft.  There's not a really good way to block people from getting them stuck, though.

#14 2019-09-27 17:17:32

pein

well, requiring oil, kerosene or anything past oil tech would set the tech tree straight

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2019-09-27 17:22:18

miskas

jasonrohrer wrote:

Jason maybe removal needs an elder approval?
I mean a well engine as you said is the most vital thing for the village, only elders can decide whenever one can be removed to be used elsewhere.

Exploring the rift for leftover engines will be a thing and then co-operation will need to extract them.

Last edited by miskas (2019-09-27 17:31:23)

Food value stats

#16 2019-09-27 17:30:02

Dodge

miskas wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Jason maybe removal needs an elder approval?
I mean a well engine as you said is the most vital thing for the village, only elders can decide whenever one can be removed to be used elsewhere.

+1 but instead of elder removal which can be potentially abused it would be an enhanced version of it that requires one elder + the signature of at least 3-4 other people, this way it's a group decision to remove this.

#17 2019-09-27 17:47:59

Booklat1

I'm with pein here, rather make it just taking a few more steps to remove than mess with elder approval in this specific case. I like elder mechanic but I get the feeling this is more of a technical item removal than a political one.

#18 2019-09-27 17:52:10

Dodge

Booklat1 wrote:

I'm with pein here, rather make it just taking a few more steps to remove than mess with elder approval in this specific case. I like elder mechanic but I get the feeling this is more of a technical item removal than a political one.

Choosing to remove the only water source of a village is not a political decision?

#19 2019-09-27 17:59:39

Booklat1

Longterm it is, but it doesn't really stop a sneaky engineer to remove it.

It's not political in the sense engines aren't powered by trust and friendship magic like fences are, which makes fences a much better target for the elder mechanic, as they tap on the same form of "power source".

It's an engine, a material object that was placed in a spring, it should be removeable with the right tools and expertise.

But honestly it could be either as long as it follows the rule that ~things that are hard to make are hard to steal.

#20 2019-09-27 18:32:29

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

There's always a problem if an engine can get "stuck" somewhere, because that might not be the place where it's needed, and an engine is SO much work (and iron).

I know you don't like them removable, b/c of theft, but.... you can't have it both ways.  They can either get stuck or stolen.  And you do have fences to prevent theft.  There's not a really good way to block people from getting them stuck, though.

If engine wasn't stolen then it would make things easier because you could use well engine on iron everytime you needed, no need to make two engines anymore. I prefer making things harder than easier so I'm against it.
And fences can't protect engines from inside grieffers - that would be first thing grieffers would do - steal engine being unseen.
So, pls don't make well engines removable.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#21 2019-09-27 19:28:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

When I say "fences", I mean fences protecting the well site from the non-trusted members of the family.  Same with the iron mine.  The miner should have access, and pass that access on to trusted few.

I know this sounds impractical to many of you, but this is the kind of deep, planned social interaction that I'm hoping to engender in this game.

The "water guy" could build a fence around the well with an "outer" area, also gated, containing a cistern.  He would own both gates.  He'd periodically open the inner gate, run the well, and fill the cistern.  Then he'd open the outer gate to let all the farmers have water.

9e1V9TX.png

Now, this kind of thing is what I'd love to see in the game.  And as I look at that screen shot, I see tons of problems.  The fences take up so much space!  Obviously, it would be nice if fences and walls were between tiles instead of on them, but that's a pretty tall order in terms of changing the engine at this point.

I'm also noticing that there's no room inside those fences for anything else.  Howe is the water guy supposed to work in there?  How to set down the kero and pick up a bucket?  How to bring stuff in that he will need to use in there?  One idea that comes to mind is a "pass through" box that can be built on a fence.  A container that can be accessed from both sides of the fence.

#22 2019-09-27 19:42:46

Whatever

^ this is the thing i would hate to see in the game,
also the cistern is blocking the gate making the well unreachable.

#23 2019-09-27 19:57:52

HumboldtStoneHoe

Jason you absolute NONCE

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#24 2019-09-27 20:05:38

sigmen4020

jasonrohrer wrote:

When I say "fences", I mean fences protecting the well site from the non-trusted members of the family.  Same with the iron mine.  The miner should have access, and pass that access on to trusted few.

I know this sounds impractical to many of you, but this is the kind of deep, planned social interaction that I'm hoping to engender in this game.

The "water guy" could build a fence around the well with an "outer" area, also gated, containing a cistern.  He would own both gates.  He'd periodically open the inner gate, run the well, and fill the cistern.  Then he'd open the outer gate to let all the farmers have water.

https://i.imgur.com/9e1V9TX.png

Now, this kind of thing is what I'd love to see in the game.  And as I look at that screen shot, I see tons of problems.  The fences take up so much space!  Obviously, it would be nice if fences and walls were between tiles instead of on them, but that's a pretty tall order in terms of changing the engine at this point.

I'm also noticing that there's no room inside those fences for anything else.  Howe is the water guy supposed to work in there?  How to set down the kero and pick up a bucket?  How to bring stuff in that he will need to use in there?  One idea that comes to mind is a "pass through" box that can be built on a fence.  A container that can be accessed from both sides of the fence.

I hope you don't expect us to adapt this design, because it's broken. You can't reach the diesel well even if you had gate permission.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#25 2019-09-27 20:37:56

Booklat1

I would really like us to build stuff too Jason.Walls and fences and gates and locks.

It's kinda funny, our sight distance is perfect for communicating inside buildings but not so much to build a house or move inside a walled city. I think this one is unfortunately a reason of why we build less.

Fences are also still a pain to set up, specially gates since rope is one important commodity. I think they're quite well balanced at this point but like you pointed out, it's hard to build anything sufficiently large that isn't clunky. Specially after spending most of your life building an engine.

Board footer