One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-26 01:13:59

Lava

Curse system Flaw twins

IF your quading you can basically get a person banned for seven days. Twins should not be able to curse someone now to keep the system just and fair.

#2 2019-09-26 06:25:45

sigmen4020

Re: Curse system Flaw twins

Good point, this definitely has the potential to become a big issue.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-09-26 07:07:33

miskas

having an indicator on their name for which players are twins would be nice by the way

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#4 2019-09-26 17:39:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I guess twins shouldn't get curse tokens then?  I mean, only one of them should.  The other ones in the the set should have no tokens.

#5 2019-09-26 17:48:35

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

I guess twins shouldn't get curse tokens then?  I mean, only one of them should.  The other ones in the the set should have no tokens.

yes either one token or no token is fine too, being able to spawn as a group is already a big advantage if it's used for griefing purposes.

#6 2019-09-26 18:30:03

Thaulos

No.

The people most likely to do this kind of grief are the discord griefers which don't need to spawn as twins to play together. They can just spawn anywhere and ask others on discord to curse a specific name. Even with a distance limit they can just spend a couple minutes walking to curse someone (map not that big).

What we need in my opinion is a number that cuts just above the "curse noise" and any potentially abuse so that the system target only those who are consistently cursed over and over again.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-26 18:32:52)

#7 2019-10-01 06:03:19

fug

Bumping this thread due to thinking there's a bug in the system. Just got cursed by a twin player when it shouldn't have been possible. Might look into curse logs tomorrow/later to show proof along with video if the replay system decides to work. Jk. Playback isn't working for that, anyways I'll just go to the curse log tomorrow whenever it's updated.

Twcgt6n.png

That curse went through by Belle, ding and purple text. Assuming either:

A). The first twin was able to have or earn a curse token during her life
B). Something isn't working right
C). It's not working at all.

Last edited by fug (2019-10-01 06:07:02)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2019-10-01 11:27:18

arkajalka

predicted this in the earlier topic about this new curse system. One solution could be that you can only stack one curse a life. To prevent mass cursing, griefers are eventually getting area locked from rift if they continue their ways. This would bring some drama to the rift too as the curse punishment wouldnt be so harsh. Basically now you can get mass cursed out of the map for some ridiculous reasons. No room for error.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#9 2019-10-01 12:20:50

sigmen4020

arkajalka wrote:

predicted this in the earlier topic about this new curse system. One solution could be that you can only stack one curse a life. To prevent mass cursing, griefers are eventually getting area locked from rift if they continue their ways. This would bring some drama to the rift too as the curse punishment wouldnt be so harsh. Basically now you can get mass cursed out of the map for some ridiculous reasons. No room for error.

This should have already been fixed according to this:
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 777d3825c3

However if fug is right then it seems the system is currently bugged. I don’t think it needs more attention aside from fixing these bugs, so the new twin curse limitations work as intended.

#10 2019-10-01 16:18:07

fug

sigmen4020 wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

This should have already been fixed according to this:
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 777d3825c3

However if fug is right then it seems the system is currently bugged. I don’t think it needs more attention aside from fixing these bugs, so the new twin curse limitations work as intended.

It's not. Currently waiting on the death logs to update for today, curse logs are already updated so I can at least post that part to prove a curse went through. Will edit the post later to show Belle lines up with that hash when possible.

OPd7fl8.png

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#11 2019-10-01 16:38:24

Saolin

arkajalka wrote:

No room for error?? You've got to get cursed like half a dozen times to not have a place to spawn on the map.

#12 2019-10-01 20:11:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, maybe there is a bug in twins cursing.

I'll look into it!

#13 2019-10-02 09:55:03

FulmenTheFinn

Isn't there a better way to solve this? A big chunk of my 1k h are from quadding, and in a sizable chunk of those quad lives, maybe even half, there's been griefers we've had to contend with. Sometimes the same griefer will return to grief over and over. E.g. Eve Milks' grave in the quad Eve shrine we built for ourselves in Knoxville got griefed over and over, probably by the same person, until yesterday all the graves got griefed.

Either way, teamplay is one of the most effective ways to combat griefing, and that includes ensuring griefers won't spawn near you again, i.e. cursing. Taking this ability away from teamplayers is not the way to solve potential issues. The way I see it, teamplayers being able to curse has more pros than cons; the amount of times we've saved entire towns from griefers has been numerous, to put it mildly, and as far as I know, there's no epidemic of teamplayers cursing innocent people.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#14 2019-10-02 11:10:33

Starknight_One

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Isn't there a better way to solve this? A big chunk of my 1k h are from quadding, and in a sizable chunk of those quad lives, maybe even half, there's been griefers we've had to contend with. Sometimes the same griefer will return to grief over and over. E.g. Eve Milks' grave in the quad Eve shrine we built for ourselves in Knoxville got griefed over and over, probably by the same person, until yesterday all the graves got griefed.

Either way, teamplay is one of the most effective ways to combat griefing, and that includes ensuring griefers won't spawn near you again, i.e. cursing. Taking this ability away from teamplayers is not the way to solve potential issues. The way I see it, teamplayers being able to curse has more pros than cons; the amount of times we've saved entire towns from griefers has been numerous, to put it mildly, and as far as I know, there's no epidemic of teamplayers cursing innocent people.

I was thinking something along these lines last night. There are valid reasons for twinning, and removing the tool intended to control griefing - because it might be used for griefing - strikes me as an over-reaction.

Perhaps your curse recovery timer could be multiplied by the number of sibs in your clone group?

#15 2019-10-02 13:08:41

FulmenTheFinn

Starknight_One wrote:

There are valid reasons for twinning, and removing the tool intended to control griefing - because it might be used for griefing - strikes me as an over-reaction.

Particularly as it doesn't solve the potential issue: if griefers want to mass-curse someone, they'll just solo-spawn into the same town. All this new change really does is harm responsible players who like to play together.

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#16 2019-10-02 14:48:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, there was a bug in the implementation, and it has been fixed (not live yet).

I hear you about this over-correction.  Maybe a good solution will arise in the future.

The current fear is that quads all curse you, just to be mean, which expands your curse blocking radius to 400, which is larger than the rift radius.  Then those four quads kill you, and then spread out to all four corners of the rift.

You are now in d-town until they die.

And if they keep respawning (even not as quad), and keep spreading to al four corners of the rift, you will be in d-town as long as they continue to play.

Their four 400-radius curses will cover the entire rift.

Anyway, this exploit allows a coordinated group to send one person to d-town.  The problem is the coordination.

This could also, potentially, be pulled off by non-quads, so even that is something to think about.  5 griefers converge in one village and curse the same person, then spread out on the rift for the rest of the day.

#17 2019-10-02 15:24:20

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

This could also, potentially, be pulled off by non-quads, so even that is something to think about.  5 griefers converge in one village and curse the same person, then spread out on the rift for the rest of the day.

It's so impractical, not fun to do, and hard to control that i highly doubt it will ever be done.

Who do you chose to curse? Some random players? You dont know who he is IRL so any kind of personnal targetting except streamers maybe, is impossible, unless someone leak his charachter name on discrord for example.

The griefers would have to spend hours in separate places of the map, you punish yourself as much as the person you try to punish.

I guess the main issue here would be known griefer (player with a lot of curses) still able to curse at the same rate as "good" players.

So maybe the more you are cursed the slower it would take to get a new curse token.

Last edited by Dodge (2019-10-02 15:24:47)

#18 2019-10-02 16:15:13

FulmenTheFinn

jasonrohrer wrote:

The current fear is that quads all curse you, just to be mean, which expands your curse blocking radius to 400, which is larger than the rift radius.  Then those four quads kill you, and then spread out to all four corners of the rift.

You are now in d-town until they die.

And if they keep respawning (even not as quad), and keep spreading to al four corners of the rift, you will be in d-town as long as they continue to play.

Their four 400-radius curses will cover the entire rift.

Anyway, this exploit allows a coordinated group to send one person to d-town.  The problem is the coordination.

Hmm, if the cursing system has flaws that can potentially be exploited that badly, then perhaps it should work in a different way. Of course the question is "how?".

#19 2019-10-02 16:41:40

Coconut Fruit

Cursing strength could solve this issue. The more curses a player have the smaller area ban he gives to someone who he cursed.
That player with over 90 curses would add only let's say 5 tiles area ban to person who he cursed.

I would definitely curse back sometime who cursed me for no reason because this is also grieffing. That's obvious grieffers will have more curses than regular players.

That would be another reason to stop grieffing. People would want to have good curse strength.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#20 2019-10-02 16:44:46

sigmen4020

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Cursing strength could solve this issue. The more curses a player have the smaller area ban he gives to someone who he cursed.
That player with over 90 curses would add only let's say 5 tiles area ban to person who he cursed.

I would definitely curse back sometime who cursed me for no reason because this is also grieffing. That's obvious grieffers will have more curses than regular players.

That would be another reason to stop grieffing. People would want to have good curse strength.

That's actually not a bad idea. Makes you have more power if you don't piss people off on a regular basis.

#21 2019-10-02 16:45:44

Coconut Fruit

Also a person with many curses shouldn't destroy my cursing strength by unfairly cursing me. So a person with let's say has 10 curses would add me only 0.2 curse score.

I think it would be very easy to implement this.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#22 2019-10-02 20:09:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm... I see two options here:

1.  Weakening the effect of your curses based on how many people you have cursed, currently.  The more you dole out curses, the weaker they get.

2.  Weaken the effect of your curses based on how many people have cursed you.  The more you bother people, the weaker your own curses get.

#23 2019-10-02 20:52:25

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

Hmm... I see two options here:

1.  Weakening the effect of your curses based on how many people you have cursed, currently.  The more you dole out curses, the weaker they get.

2.  Weaken the effect of your curses based on how many people have cursed you.  The more you bother people, the weaker your own curses get.

These might go together - I could see #2 encouraging griefers to curse people to reduce the strength of the curses against them.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#24 2019-10-02 23:45:10

fug

Better to weaken the curses based off how many curses you personally have vs how many people you've cursed. I've personally got a score around three or four due to cursing trolls (and only trolls) which is mostly to blame due to being able to zoom out and see who is cursing who. That feature obviously is getting fixed with the next update so that's not really something to worry about anymore.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer