One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-20 20:19:33

The_Anabaptist

New Idea: Guard Dog

Raise a dog, any dog for all I care.  Put a leash on him/her.  Tie him/her to a skewer hammered into the ground.  Any person who comes within one square of the skewer with a bow or knife on their person is insta-killed.

Set it up by a property fence gate, nobody enters or leaves from there with a weapon.

The_Anabaptist

#2 2019-09-20 20:26:55

Coconut Fruit

Re: New Idea: Guard Dog

Sry, but that sounds like another tool for grieffers. They would place it outside gates and you wouldn't be able to get rubber.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2019-09-20 20:27:42

DestinyCall

Do not piss off my guard beagle.  He will mess you up, no joke.

#4 2019-09-20 20:44:44

Don Holm

The dog will kill any player from another family of its owner when tied next to gate, that's a better way for it to work wink

#5 2019-09-20 20:47:06

Dodge

Like a primitive version of the atomic powered robot guard that is in the trailer, i like the idea.

Dogs have a lot of other potential for guarding, killing or defending.

#6 2019-09-20 20:57:55

The_Anabaptist

Don Holm wrote:

The dog will kill any player from another family of its owner when tied next to gate, that's a better way for it to work wink

I've lived in multi-family villages before and having one family with gate control and not the other was a huge pain.  Your implementation would make it even worse.

My goal was to allow people to enter / leave - just not with potential weapons in hand.  If they enter and pickup something off the ground and then stab/shoot you, that's on your town.

Think of a town with two gates.  One with a guard dog.  Hunters & rubber gatherers use the unguarded one, innocents flee out the guarded one when violence breaks out in town.

It also adds value for some enclosed spaces.  Why do you need a bow or knife in the baby nursery?  Or the smith?  Or the cow shed?

The_Anabaptist

Last edited by The_Anabaptist (2019-09-20 21:00:13)

#7 2019-09-20 21:00:50

DestinyCall

I'd say that any breed of dog should bark if he "sees" a member of another family and he should attack if they step into his square.  A dog bite can be treated, same as wolf bite.

Dogs can be killed using bow/arrow or knife, making a distinctive death noise.

Certain types of dogs are more watchful.  They will also bark if they "see" someone with a drawn weapon and attack if someone with a drawn weapon enters their square.

#8 2019-09-20 22:20:41

Coconut Fruit

Make dogs that auto kill grieffers lol

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#9 2019-09-20 22:24:30

Anhigen

I'll say that I like the sounds of an in game tech that players can employ if they just want to be left in peace/alone. Disarming everyone around the dog means that you're not just using it to keep yourself proteced but also giving up your ability to go on the offence. You wanna just move bits of data around that look like a berry bush in PEACE AND QUIET, domesticate a wolf. Done.

That's better than whelp, I guess I just have to complain because there's nothing I can do to invest in the play style I'd like to enjoy for this particular run/set of runs.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#10 2019-09-20 22:38:43

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Dog barks warning and attacks anyone with lifetime curse score over x amount ...

"Hey ... Rosco doesn't like you, mister.  Maybe you should leave."

#11 2019-09-20 22:52:05

Anhigen

DestinyCall wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

Dog barks warning and attacks anyone with lifetime curse score over x amount ...

"Hey ... Rosco doesn't like you, mister.  Maybe you should leave."

Like fuck to the yeah. I love that a dog's sense of you could relay information about that player without introducing hud elements or anything. They growl at players with bad curse scores--fucking perfect! Maybe that player is just a kid or maybe they don't have a knife RIGHT NOW, but they're some to keep an eye on, dog acted real funny when they blew by. Getting data on griefers or cursed people IN GAME is a huge incentive to do the tedious work of getting a dog and would make domestication important if not essential in a late stage village that has had hours put into it from multiple people. The dog wouldn't need to attack or anything, just a warning system would be fantasic enough!

I also have, what you could describe as a non-zero, interest in "making" JR record a ridiculous curse growl, and it's different levels of threat/curse, for my own amusements, so... there's that.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#12 2019-09-20 23:41:52

Booklat1

the anti-griefer dog is lowkey a good idea

#13 2019-09-20 23:58:54

DestinyCall

I also like the griefer-detecting watchdog.   I also agree that guard dog ability could be removed (or limited by breed).   Detection alone would still be amazing.

A few ideas regarding how it might look in game:

A free roaming dog is harmless and useless, as usual.    Rope can be put on dog as leash and dog could be tied to a fence post (like horse) or some dog-specific hitch.    Once tied, the dog is "on alert" and will react if a player with a high curse score comes into range - about one screen width.   

When a "bad" person is detected, the dog gives a low growl.   If person remains in detection zone, dog gives a louder growl.   If person remains close enough again ... dog starts to angry bark.   Angry bark continues at regular intervals until the griefer leaves area.   To prevent barking, the detected player can move away from the dog, feed the dog meat to quiet the alarm, or shoot the dog using bow.   

Feeding the dog pork or mutton has an accompanying sound effect.  Then dog is friendly and will not bark at that person.   Killing the dog leaves behind evidence, but also removes village griefer detection more permenantly.  Leaving the area is the fastest way ... and might be the only choice, if you are not prepared to deal with a dog.

The dog can be untied from the fence only when it is calm.   So you could also feed the dog ... then steal it.

#14 2019-09-21 00:11:06

Anhigen

I feel like this is where JR comes in with something like:

What happens when multiple players are around the dog, say in a screen's width around a common camp fire or are farming, now the dog is just growling and you have no idea at who. (Though I counter with the dog always faces in the direction of the griefer with the highest score... anyway...)

Wouldn't griefers, and particularly ones with really high score who are prone to griefing, just want to kill your dog? Even just to put an arrow in it?

Griefers use zoom out mods anyway and could just path around dogs or arrow them from a distance.

What happens after someone is done griefing--the new curse system is effectively working and getting people to change their tune--and now their score hampers their ability to be around towns in general, leading to more disconnect from other players and potentially, even more griefing? A fresh life is a fresh start.

#15 2019-09-21 00:16:57

Booklat1

obviously this is all fixed by perma banning whoever kills a dog, because to everything there should be a limit.

#16 2019-09-21 00:22:51

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

obviously this is all fixed by perma banning whoever kills a dog, because to everything there should be a limit.

+1

#17 2019-09-21 01:10:57

Anhigen

Booklat1 wrote:

Ded

#18 2019-09-21 04:08:28

Jk Howling

+1 to dogs not being a waste of coding.

I think a combination of suggested ideas would be cool. Something like:

- Outsiders with weapons on them [whether in bp/pocket or in hand] get bit
- Outsiders that try to interact with the dog [whether they have a weapon or not] get bit [so outsiders can't just relocate/release a guard dog].
- Outsiders without a weapon that get too close just get barked at.
- Family members are ignored. Maybe a system similar to fence gates where you can "add" outsiders to make the dog friendly towards ig, with a shortcut to add entire lineages [to make them less inconvenient for multi-lineage towns.]

-Has ascended to better games-

#19 2019-09-21 09:00:41

Dodge

Yeah there's a lot of cool things that could be done with dogs.

Barking at intruders
Attacking murderers
Following suspicious people
Attacking someone that tries to murder you
Digging for truffles smile

#20 2019-09-21 10:03:23

RodneyC86

Dodge wrote:

Barking at intruders
Attacking murderers

Good but I'm quite sure pigs are more suited for truffling.
Hey that's another idea

#21 2019-09-21 16:53:34

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:

Barking at intruders
Attacking murderers

Fetching balls and sticks
Rolling over
Posing for cute pictures
Eating poop
Wearing funny hats
Barking when nothing is there
Chewing up wooden shoes

#22 2019-09-21 22:34:54

Angel Carrillo

Chewing up snakeskin boots and rabbits shoes as well. Just chewing up shoes in general.

#23 2019-09-21 22:44:09

DestinyCall

My dog also likes to chew up cell phones, but those have not yet been added to OHOL, so they are safe ...for now.

#24 2019-09-21 23:08:32

CatX

Fetch axe.

#25 2019-09-22 01:32:16

The_Anabaptist

DestinyCall wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Barking at intruders
Attacking murderers

Fetching balls and sticks
Rolling over
Posing for cute pictures
Eating poop
Wearing funny hats
Barking when nothing is there
Chewing up wooden shoes

+1 for eating poop.
Then barfing up poop.
Then rolling over in the barf/poop.
Then knocking over the baby in said barf/poop.

The_Anabaptist

Board footer