One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-26 09:11:51

Coconut Fruit

Good beginning + some suggestion

People should learn that starting with farming berries isn't the best idea, yet everyone (almost) do that. Domestic berries cost tons of water and soil.
For comparsion:
- one domestic berry bush = 1 bowl of soil + 1 bowl of water = 7 berries = 35 food
- carrot = 1 bowl of soil + one bowl of water = 4 carrots (+ one seed) = 28 food
- bread = 2 bowls of soil + one bowl of water = 64 food (water is worth more than soil)
- three sister stew in total = 2.25 bowls of soil + 2.25 bowls of water = 224 food (99.5 food per one water)

I just want to say that it annoys me a little that people eat domestic berries and carrots, these two things should be used only to make compost (except for little kids and very old people, they can eat berries since they have little food bar)

And btw I really like current rift. This game wasn't that good ever before IMO. I like that apocalypses happen that often. If people get more pro it may change and get even better. It would be fun when let's say 5 families were very advanced and tried to conquer each other to win the game.
It would be nice to see in main page onehouronelife.com which families survived each game (from apocalypse to apocalypse)
Tho spawning in different family every time will ruin the fun and create opportunity to grief families that you don't want to win.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-08-26 10:55:18

Dodge

Re: Good beginning + some suggestion

Best strat is carrots first then berries

berries take too long grow by the time they are ready kids are dead.

Stew is wasteful, kids and adults eat it even when they are not starving and lose all the extra pips also much more time consuming to make than spamming carrots and berries.

water and soil isn't an issue if you have a decent place with enough ponds, fertile soil and a well.

more than enough to get to sheep and deep well

When you start as Eve betting on one girl only is very risky, so better to use more ressources but have at least 2-3 girls alive.

#3 2019-08-26 12:15:19

pein

i mean you don't keep 1 carrot, you keep a whole line, that's 7 seed, which means 2 bowls of soil for 7 seed not 1
bread needs 2 water if planted

anyway, you gotta have some soil to start (i found places with no soil so just check the green biome) and plant some carrots near a pond, close to soil and water, doesn't have to be right next to it just in screen

that's just the start, you should use the time to gather branches, make pottery, make tools and move next to a spring, then maybe you can plant berries
when i did my fortress experiments, i always made a sheep pen next to spring, with the well in the wall
which is good starting point as you always produce soil later on so berries and oven next to it is gonna be on right place
so you can even start fencing up

if you think about it, pies use 25% of a wheat for 4 uses, that's 1/16 of a wheat
so even with mutton pie, you are better off than eating berries regardless of age

i care more about structures so  i don't think this fast resets are good
also any sort of this bs where people kill others to end the rift
evenapoc needs defeding a bell tower, killing families is not hard at all

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-08-26 12:51:44

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:

I agree with this but I still think that it's at least a good idea to plant a berry farm first, so it can grow while you rely on carrots. I've been a part of quite a few Eve farms where planting carrots as the first thing didn't work, because they need constant attention unlike berries. So imo the best early strat is to start of with a small berry farm, and then after that rely on carrots for food. That way you can have a steady food supply of carrots, while you wait for the berries to grow.

I've just experienced the bad cycle of planting carrots first, it usually results in berries being planted way too late imo.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-26 12:54:34)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2019-08-26 13:00:25

Dodge

sigmen4020 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I agree with this but I still think that it's at least a good idea to plant a berry farm first, so it can grow while you rely on carrots. I've been a part of quite a few Eve farms where planting carrots as the first thing didn't work, because they need constant attention unlike berries. So imo the best early strat is to start of with a small berry farm, and then after that rely on carrots for food. That way you can have a steady food supply of carrots, while you wait for the berries to grow.

3-4+ rows of carrots first then the berries.

You dont have to wait before planting the berries after the carrots, it's better to do carrots first so you have food after the wild berries and eggs are gone.

Planting berries first just delays when your first harvested food is ready.

But honestly there is usually enough wild foods that it doesn't matter if you start with berries or carrots.

As long as you plant some carrots at some point.

#6 2019-08-26 13:05:48

denriguez

Ferna's Guide to Food.

I don't think anything has changed re: food since this was published. It's epic and something you should consult. Ferna came outta nowhere and did some amazing work on food and temp mechanics, hasn't been seen since. sad

Strict rules like "berries and carrots are only for compost" aren't useful, because a) it's not true, and b) everyone will ignore such rules, because they're hungry. Berries and carrots are planted first because they're required for compost; they're eaten because they're what's available. Sure, they're suboptimal, but people are starving in early game.

Better approach? Make all of the foods available to you. Something not available yet? Make it.

The best advice isn't which foods to plant first (it'll always be berries and carrots), but rather how to eat. Eat only when you're actually hungry, try not to eat big foods until you're an adult, and stack your yums as much as you can without it consuming all of your time. If I haven't eaten a carrot as an adult, and doing so would extend my yum chain, you bet your loincloth I'm going to eat a carrot. Twisted's videos have taught me many things, the Yum mechanic being one of the most important.

#7 2019-08-26 13:23:46

Whatever

Best is rabbit pie or rabbit carrot pie.

One person can get rabbits the other person farms wheat and makes pies.
The rabbit fur can also be used for clothes and backpacks.
The wheat can also be used for baskets.

#8 2019-08-26 14:11:50

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

You dont have to wait before planting the berries after the carrots, it's better to do carrots first so you have food after the wild berries and eggs are gone.

But honestly there is usually enough wild foods that it doesn't matter if you start with berries or carrots.

I see, as long as berry tree planting isn’t neglected after the first carrot batch I can see that working. So first plant a carrot batch, then plant berries while the first batch of carrots is growing. And after that rely on carrot as food as well as berries once they’ve grown. And after focus on getting sheep (depending on iron situation, I’ve seen villages get sheep early and then not have the required tools ready to maintain it), being without berries can be problematic for the main reason that they are great kid food. Adults should rely on the higher pop foods so it’s problematic when the kids have to resort to an adult’s diet.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-26 14:12:11)

#9 2019-08-26 14:34:38

Dodge

sigmen4020 wrote:
Dodge wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

I see, as long as berry tree planting isn’t neglected after the first carrot batch I can see that working. So first plant a carrot batch, then plant berries while the first batch of carrots is growing. And after that rely on carrot as food as well as berries once they’ve grown. And after focus on getting sheep (depending on iron situation, I’ve seen villages get sheep early and then not have the required tools ready to maintain it), being without berries can be problematic for the main reason that they are great kid food. Adults should rely on the higher pop foods so it’s problematic when the kids have to resort to an adult’s diet.

Carrots are basically so you get a quick supply of food for the beginning, after that it should be pretty easy to not die as long as there is not too many people and they maintain the carrot+berry farm+other crops

Good option after that is rabbit pies and carrot pies if no rabbits.

Dont necessarly need to rush sheep unless there is a real lack of soil, but having sheep for clothes as soon as possible is always a good thing.

Unless you want all the milkweed wasted on clothes.

#10 2019-08-26 17:32:43

BladeWoods

Bigger problem than berry munchers is just people that waste by overeating. I see people feed pies to babies. Toddlers eating omelots. You can tell when someone is berry munching all day, but you don't know when someone takes a bite out of a pie if they filled up 14 pips or 2 pips. Berry munchers are much more efficient than these people.

New players definitely don't know, but I'm sure most old players too don't even know exactly how much food each kind of food fills, (even if you did, you'd have to play a counting game with large foods) and so most people will overeat intentionally or not.

#11 2019-08-26 17:38:33

Dodge

BladeWoods wrote:

Bigger problem than berry munchers is just people that waste by overeating. I see people feed pies to babies. Toddlers eating omelots. You can tell when someone is berry munching all day, but you don't know when someone takes a bite out of a pie if they filled up 14 pips or 2 pips. Berry munchers are much more efficient than these people.

New players definitely don't know, but I'm sure most old players too don't even know exactly how much food each kind of food fills, (even if you did, you'd have to play a counting game with large foods) and so most people will overeat intentionally or not.

Yeah also that, you should only be able to over eat to some extent like 2-3 pips max and not waste 6-7 pips.

Sometimes griefers will just feed others pies and other foods and easily waste a large ammount of food even killing villages sometimes.

#12 2019-08-26 17:39:35

Dodge

Starving is the only exception where you could eat something an waste more, like for example a baby starving but only pies are left to feed him.

#13 2019-08-27 08:27:42

pein

i mean there is something in corn, that you eat smaller pips and you don't waste much
but also yum fuckers eat it raw so that's super bad

but so far, it's only an emergency option when players realize there is no food, to keep them alive a bit
did that once and 2-3 people survived for a bit

bad players will eat lot more than produce, good players survive on wild food

pottery is other limitation
eggs are quite bad without enough plates, so making pottery 2-3x early can make or break, and inside rift can be used elsewhere anyway
like the fire cost doesn't really come out well, when you cook 3-4 rabbits or 4-5 eggs or 4 pies
but if you got enough bowls, like 10, then you can use 3 to smith, 2 to water and 5 to fill with seeds and wild berries
same, around 11 plates so you can do some advanced food

a carrot pie is 4x better than a carrot and it doesn't need high tech, you can even make from wild wheat and wild carrots
but i think, you should make 8 of it so it justifies a kindling use

rushing sheep is more important inside rift
you cant just go further for milkweed, and it's not a good trade to make fur clothes from milwkeed, it will take away from well upgrade, cart, sheep, extra snare, door, etc.
sheep also signals that you can make soil later on and even mutton meat is decent food compared to nothing, don't forget the shot mouflons outside the badlands
the compost cycle makes profit on soil and the side products recycle into food and soil so mutton meat is still the best way to keep the population fed

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-08-27 09:25:23

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Carrots are basically so you get a quick supply of food for the beginning, after that it should be pretty easy to not die as long as there is not too many people and they maintain the carrot+berry farm+other crops

Good option after that is rabbit pies and carrot pies if no rabbits.

Dont necessarly need to rush sheep unless there is a real lack of soil, but having sheep for clothes as soon as possible is always a good thing.

Unless you want all the milkweed wasted on clothes.

Yep, I'm not the biggest fan of rushing sheep either as I mentioned I see quite a few early towns that get sheep even before they have the tools to maintain it. Though imo as soon as you at least have the prerequisite tools for the job (shears, knife and bow saw for construction of a spindle) I don't see a problem in getting sheep then, regardless of the natural soil around. As you mentioned, making clothes without sheep is an extremely expensive affair, so getting sheep sooner rather than later is naturally preferred, of course only when you have the required tools otherwise you wouldn't to be able to make the clothes anyway.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-27 09:26:41)

#15 2019-08-27 09:41:37

DestinyCall

One major mistake I see too many villages make - HUGE berry farms.    I don't think they realize how water-hungry berry farming actually is.   Since water is a big limiting factor for early growth, over-grown berry farms can suck up a ton of water without anyone realizing the danger until it is too late and you've exhausted all local sources.

A modest-sized patch is more than adequate for early camp.   Ideally, you want to diversify to stew and rabbit pies as soon as possible.   By extending the berry bushes, there is less dirt/water and labor available for other types of farming.   Berries are not the WORST crop to grow in an early village, but they are not a sustainable long-term food supply.   At best, they are a stepping stone to more pip-efficient options.   At worst, they can suck up way too much time and effort, delaying advancement, and eventually leading to a water crisis that might end the whole town. 

Keeping the berries relatively small and providing space between the rows so berry pickers can access the whole patch efficiently is very important for a well-run village.    It makes compost and wool production much faster and more pleasant.    It also means that renewing the berry patch is a quick process that doesn't take a ton of manpower and time.  Big square patches are hard to pick and hard to fix.    Make narrow vertical rows - two or three bushes deep.  Wooden paths in between.  Or three by three patches, ideally bordered by wood to prevent "berry patch creep".

A small patch can produce adequately for a whole village as long as it is tended properly and there are other sources for food to sustain the adult population.    Stew and meat pies are great choices.   Bread is also good (although not as great as pies).    Milk is top notch - very efficient, especially whole milk.    If you have a knife and bow, turkey is a great option, but limited by availability.
  Sadly, burritos and tacos are not good.  Too much effort for not enough reward.     Saurkraut can be good, but only if you have iron to spare for the initial tool investment.   And you'll need access to salt.  Generally a poor choice for anything but an established town.   Raw corn, green beans, berry pies ... avoid them.   There are MUCH better choices unless you are chaining yum over +10 and have exhausted other options (or you are literally starving to death).

#16 2019-08-27 15:30:19

pein

yeah, the value is the same
it doesn't require tillingso once it's planted, you can go forewer with it without a hoe
but increasing the number of bushes wont increase efectiveness
1 bush is still 7 berries for the soil and water
so the "more food" is really not true
more like more work
if you got 10 bushes, you get 70 berries each 8 minutes if you pick it down fast
if you got 20 bushes, you get 140 berries each 8 minutes if you pick it down fast

and here is the catch what people don't get
it's not growing back with time, i don't know if they think it does cause other games or because at the start they did regrow each hour if soiled/watered/last wasn't picked
basically planiting more doesn't make more food
cause if others pick it down, they need to fix it
if they don't fix it it dies out
but if they don't pick it down ,then it's not worth the extra hoe usage as you get no benefit when berries sit on the bush

berries not food, or more likely, berries on bush are not food
you dnt need more bushes, you need more bowls
1 bowl per bush, or at least 50%
pick all down, soil and water them
that's 8 min regrowth instead of 12 on new planted
1 soil and 1 tilling saved and 50% of the time of growth, that's more food

planting too many creates more work what nobody does probably
average players cant keep 20 bushes alive alone or takes too much time to do anything else
you should never rely on them
especially that 5 sec per pip, 12 pip a minute, 720 pip per 60  even at no waste, which is 140 berries a life
but even for 10 min, which is a slow fixed berry farm refill (i bet is even slower) you produce 6 berries, where you eat 120/5 so 24 berries
which is around 3-4 bushes per person naked

the other issue is how much space it takes up
people should teach to pick the berries asap, this means it's going on maximum efficiency
and never plant any new bushes until you got any unfixed cause you cannot afford the soil and water on it
ideally you plant everything else first

my fortress experiments, i made 1 board line at first, the bushes were extended in one side to 5-6 wide, 2 on other side
in other run i made 2 board lines, it was 2-2-3 wide
when i dug it up in other games, they used the boarded side for feeding sheep, and the right side which was continuous was never touched

#17 2019-08-28 04:41:49

Coconut Fruit

Harvesting berries into bowls right away is a great idea. I've been doing this on my private server at the beginning when I was learning to play. Yet I don't see people doing it in global server. People should focus on getting more bowls and plates, they are often lacking in towns even tho they are easy and fast to make.

A line of 12 bushes (2x6) and 12 bowls next to them sounds like a perfect plan to me. Near some carrots to harvest from time to time and near sheep pen and a town would be much more efficient in terms of time.

Making stew is faster at the beginning than farming berries that need 12 minutes to grow. To me perfect order would be like this: planting some carrots at first to have some easy food in case wild food is not easy accessible and then planting stew stuff, then some berries but not 12 right away... 6 is enough at the very beginning, then wheat to cook pies and get more baskets, adobe oven and more kilns.

Also a cistern next to each farm isn't a bad idea, it's easy to make cisterns once you have carts. People tend to make berry farm around the well but instead it's better to plan, arrange and use space in smart way. Get rid if trees and stuff that block space for sheep pen near berry and carrot farms instead of making sheep pen in easy space but far away.

People should also more often take care of cleaning town, all tools in one place, bowls with seeds in one place, get rid of useless stuff like worms etc.

Also farming milkweed isn't good idea in towns without engine pump. Get a horse and go for a ride to get milkweed. It will take 5 minutes and you will be back with 4 lassos and backpack full of ropes (lassos can be turned back to ropes with flint)

Planting in town rubber tree right away after making shears is also great idea. It grows 2 hours so it should be done early. It will help making engine greatly.

This post turned out to be a little guide lol

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#18 2019-08-28 06:07:03

Dodge

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Harvesting berries into bowls right away is a great idea.

I've seen too many people take the bowl of berries and make pies with them, so i would avoid doing that unless you are going to use them right away for sheep and compost.

#19 2019-08-28 06:27:27

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

Harvesting berries into bowls right away is a great idea.

I've seen too many people take the bowl of berries and make pies with them, so i would avoid doing that unless you are going to use them right away for sheep and compost.

Berry pies are evil.    Don't people realize that it is literally a waste of good pips?   

It makes me sad every time I see it.   You would gain more food by baking bread and eating the bowl of berries.   Or even better ... eat the bowl of berries and make a meat pie instead.  If you don't have rabbit meat, you are probably in trouble anyways from lack of food.  Go hunt rabbits.    And if you already have sheep, you have even less excuse.  Make mutton pie.  If you must make non-meat pies, carrot pies are at least a net gain, but they are also the weakest pie and taste like crap.   Better to stick with MEAT pies. 

The carrot/rabbit pie is "best" pie from a food efficiency standpoint, but plain rabbit is good enough and faster to make.   Save the carrots for composting and sheep feeding, along with the berries.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Also farming milkweed isn't good idea in towns without engine pump. Get a horse and go for a ride to get milkweed. It will take 5 minutes and you will be back with 4 lassos and backpack full of ropes (lassos can be turned back to ropes with flint)

If you don't have a horse (which is sad, you should get a horse) then hunting for milkweed gets increasingly difficult and the rift is not infinite.    Farming milkweed is not a bad move.  BUT ... not inside the town.   

There's two big reasons for this ... first, milkweed requires a lot of DIRT, a lot of WATER, and a lot of SPACE.   All of these are at a premium inside your village and would be better served being used by your food farms.   Instead, go outside and look around for an area with natural soil deposits close to ponds.   Most villages have a few nice spots within an easy walk.  It's surprisingly easy to find a perfect spot for a milkweed farm with just a little searching. 

The other main reason to make the farm OUTSIDE, instead of in the middle of town is because a milkweed farm in town will get wiped out within minutes of the crop maturing.  You'll be lucky if they leave you some seeds to replant.   There are too many people close by and too many not-so-helpful helpers ready to swoop in and take the fruits of your labor.   Worse yet, many people who will happily help themselves to your milkweed also can't be trusted to do something good with the string or rope they have acquired.   It is all too common for new players or bad players or griefers to waste milkweed on making extra bows (or firebows) or stone hoes or any number of other things that you don't want ... while your village has no carts or buckets or whatever.

So instead of making the farm in the center of town, go to the outskirts, find a nice spot away from the village with untouched natural resources.    Get your farm going, using a basket, bowl, and hoe/skewer.   After you have what you need, replant the farm and leave it for the next person.   If you make the farm close to the village, other explorers will stumble upon it quickly and make use of your crop.   Even better, if they recognize it as a milkweed farm, they might even replant after taking what they need.    And the kind of players who find a milkweed farm outside of town are the kinds of players who go outside of town ... which tend to be more experienced players who hopefully know how important rope actually is in OHOL.   

If you are worried about raiders, you can either setup property fencing (you should have plenty of rope for gates) or simply harvest all your crop at once and bring it back to the village.    Return to check your farm routinely or avoid replanting until you are able to remain close and watch for strangers.   Personally, I don't usually bother guarding my plants, since I'm happy to share with other peaceful players.  And I'm a big softie who is way too trusting of other people.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-28 06:31:46)

#20 2019-08-28 14:09:56

Cox

I have already made comparison which food is the best and you can find it here:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6433

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#21 2019-08-28 21:26:30

pein

it still better to use the berries than not to
you end up with bushes with 1 berry each
even im not that evil, if you do that, then you basically reduced every 7 bush into 1 bush, then why do even have it in the first place?
you can stick a carrot into it and put in the pen
i also don't get why people plant all seeds then get 3 seed rows, then leave the whole thing to rot
i havent seen a lot of people make berry pie or compost pie, and generally they don't do it intentionally, if they do tell them "fuck off spoonwood"

but humans are soo idiot sometimes. the city has everything and you run the compost cycle fast, you got 10 types of food
you just fix all the bushes
someone starts planting more cause reee we need more food
which is plain dumb

i just really don't understand why you cant leave free tiles
why you cant do other designs
99% of times people do the + sign around the spring
which will be perfect for first 20 water uses, then it becomes an annoyance, and a chance that people make random newcommens over there
and 99% of time one well wont cut it until someone starts making the engine, heck even the oil

well rift style is a bit more different, you cant get milkweed outside so you gotta plant it, but you can use the hardened rows left behind near pond

not many people do the bootstrapping, like your first camp is temporary
you just put the kiln inside the swamp, or close to clay and branches
the farm bit further near the ponds
you go up until boards, and then preplan the whole thing and put boards under new kilns and oven

cisterns, not a lot of people know that you can move a cistern, by pickaxing it
some griefers did it in a town and the stoens were used for stone hoes i think
but if you do the plaster first (which i hate when it turns to limed corn for no reason)
and just make cistern near 3-4 soil piles, fill up
ofc you can do compost in a spot and make a cistern
spacing out farms is good idea and cisterns are kind of essential for storing newcommen water, hard to use up 2 but not 3 buckets of water and i really hate when i need to go to ponds while smithing, just to get a water bucket

i mean all trees are good when planted
i hear it all cost hungry work?
instead of fixing that idiot fence, you can plant around your city a line of trees, good for firewood and limits movement, looks better
pine was my choice for firewood but if it cost hungry work then rubber might be better

#22 2019-08-29 00:11:19

DestinyCall

Cox wrote:

I have already made comparison which food is the best and you can find it here:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6433

I could talk about food efficiency and best food/worst food comparisons for DAYS if you let me.   I like your graphs, but there is still plenty to discuss regarding when to focus on production of which foods, to yum or not to yum, and what it even means to be "best food" or "most efficient."

The single most perfect food in the game is actually a bowl of wild-harvwsted, organic gooseberries, picked at the peak of freshness.   Zero iron usage.  Zero water usage.  Maximum flavor.   It is literally free and renewable.   

But ... you cannot feed a village on wild berries.

So it is the perfect food.   But it has limited utility.   It is not just a question of least cost, but also a factor of time and labor, which is harder to quantify.  There are a few clear "winners" in the food race and it is pretty easy to guess who they are, because everyone already makes them.

#23 2019-08-29 00:16:00

Coconut Fruit

pein wrote:

well rift style is a bit more different, you cant get milkweed outside so you gotta plant it, but you can use the hardened rows left behind near pond

Trust me, you can. I've been doing it multiple times in rift. There are plenty untouched greenlads, just cross the badlands and your chances that you will step on untouched greenlads are higher than opposite. Just get a horse, if you don't have a horse, make it, horses are important anyway. Geting tons of ropes is easy with a horse.

pein wrote:

not many people do the bootstrapping, like your first camp is temporary
you just put the kiln inside the swamp, or close to clay and branches

No you don't, unless you are a noob. Klin doesn't need to be close to anything. Place it in place where you have the most space. Smithing requires a lot space, plan ahead.

pein wrote:

instead of fixing that idiot fence, you can plant around your city a line of trees, good for firewood and limits movement, looks better

It's not safe since you can easily cut them. Also planting so many around the town would cost tons of water and soil, trees need to be watered twice. But yeah, town would look cool.

I didn't know milk is so efficient food, seems like people should get it right aways after making buckets and drink only milk tongue I will be focusing on milk much more often from now.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#24 2019-08-29 02:13:33

pein

lol, you really pick on me aint ya? big_smile

the noobs are who toss random kilns

i optimize for late game, you optimize for early game, you get a shitty town
if you don't want to move kilns, and rather build near it, you get monstrosities where no one want to stay
and if the top players quit on you then your shit placement snowballs
pottery is not smithing, and engine making is not smithing
rubber making needs separate oven
and you don't need bushes near ponds

just because you know all this, doesn't mean others will
you got to occupy people or they mess up the town, or don't have others until you make the basic town shape
plus that few minutes matter when you make a new town. i tested it a lot of times. Just make the pottery and farm then tools and move out. You lose time when you try to build far away from startign resources and others will make dumb stuff anyway

if you cannot afford planting trees, and milkweed, you already got a shit town and hoardig back resources to shit towns was never more optimal than start a new one, people think that lots of stuff matters, i made my own fortress and everybody was asking why don't i stay with them in a decayign town. 40 min alter i survived and they didn't. next day i had my town standing, they had some kilns and dried out bushes.

the moment NÉ town had his trees cut, lost his biggest advantage over other towns and my support for it. I choose to make a new than fix the things they ruined. Once their oil was gone, it was never fixed again.

Board footer