One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-24 21:08:33

ryanb
Website

Does the rift scale?

Since the rift is a fixed size the experience will be different based on the number of players. If you have 10 players vs 100 players in the same size rift the game will feel different.

Shortly after this game's release I read of Jason's desire for the experience to be independent of the player count. Whether we have 30 players or 3000 players the game should feel similar. Is this no longer a goal?

My concern is that the rift introduces a sweet spot with the number of players and outside of this sweet spot the experience won't be as great.

What do you think?

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#2 2019-08-24 22:35:21

ollj

Re: Does the rift scale?

no, just do not play on bs2 and you may just have a fun time, relatively alone, in a tiny cage.
as oposed to having a torture in the same sized cage full of peoiple and without food.

#3 2019-08-24 22:38:21

BladeWoods

I think that is a problem, and scaling things is probably on Jason's mind, but right now he's just trying to get it right with the current amount of players.

Currently we average like 70 players and have a rift with 500,000 tiles. So I guess the rift could scale at 500,000 / 70 or 7143 tiles per online player.

#4 2019-08-24 22:44:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, scaling would need to happen eventually.

However, one server can only hold so many players (probably no more than about 150).

But the reason we do not have 150 players, and haven't every really had 150 regular players, is because the game isn't good enough... yet.  Which is what I'm working on.

Imagine the greatest game you've ever played.  OHOL clearly isn't THAT game yet, right?

#5 2019-08-24 23:35:50

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Imagine the greatest game you've ever played.  OHOL clearly isn't THAT game yet, right?

For me, that game was the first Portal.    It rocked my world.   Such an awesome game.   Perfect blend of gameplay and story.  Excellent writing, unique mechanics, great voice acting.    Really great game.

#6 2019-08-25 12:57:36

pein

i really miss some end goal and balacing what kept me going

you need more players to keep more players

you are not wrong on the infinite situation generators, more replayability keeps old players and that brings new ones
but limiting us to stuff we don't like in current form, isn't gonna work
you got 15 servers, you could make different rulesets for each
like pretty sure that no pvp server would be more populated than normal

also make it less manual, people hardly join other servers, some ui changes would be nice for all those things which you need to set manually

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-08-25 14:21:57

Booklat1

Frankly speaking, we'd be lucky if the player counts got so high that it started to affect the rift or individual families. That's exactly how populations work and it's a shame we can't just easily emulate it in the game (as show by all the effort Jason has put into the rift and the fact its not yet very good).

Im much more afraid of people responding so badly to the rift that the game loses more players, causing even the rift to not be enough of a resource limitation factor.

Hopefully ohol can keep attracting players and we'll horribly starve but then thrive for some while in a balances rift one day

Board footer