One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-18 17:32:23

Twisted

A little thought experiment

Let's say that you have the ability to magically add one new system/mechanic/item to the game with absolutely no work required. You click a button, and poof, it's in the game and working fine, no bugs, no effort, pure magic! You can choose anything, but only one thing! What would it be?

For me it would probably be a brand new animal system, switching animals from being just normal items that move on their own to them being entities actively tracked by the server. This would also mean they're on a different layer, so tiles could hold both an animal and an item at the same time.

Wild animals would have babies, grow old, and die, all on their own without player intervention. Some animals would roam around, some would stay close to their nest/den. They eat wild foods  that regenerate, and if all the food is destroyed by players they move to a different part of the map in order to survive.

Domestic animals would go through this same exact cycle, except they need to be taken care of by the players. If the players don't take care of their animals and don't provide them with water and food, they die. You gotta fill up their through with water and give them some hay or slop, or take them out to graze.

One animal wouldn't require that much care on its own, but don't expect to get a lot of milk if you only have one cow. Long gone are the days of exploiting one cow for a thousand years to get infinite milk, which is something that always bothered me. We would also need to come up with new and interesting pens!

What would be your dream addition?

#2 2019-08-18 18:40:58

CatX

Re: A little thought experiment

The Baby update:

Baby slings
Babies in carts
Baby cribs and baby bedrolls made of bear fur keeping them warm

Also
Saddles on pigs to use them as riding animals for kids

#3 2019-08-18 19:35:41

YannaChan
Banned

Marriage

Im a sucker for roleplaying and seeing people or myself getting married makes me happy.

Actually, I was a priest for my in game daughter's wedding today.

#4 2019-08-18 19:41:28

ahead

I always want everything in the game to have a purpose or reason to exist.
Crowns are sickening to me, from that viewpoint.

They serve no puprose and getting them is a whole quest to get the gold flakes from the tundra biome, or creating them from a chemical reaction using electrum and acid.
Both are a hassle to do.

So why not give them a purpose, in real life crowns are seen on authority figures, great rulers, crowns are symbols of power, wealth, etc...

And as such, crowns making you an elder at an earlier age, let's say forty years old would be a great addition.
It would give them a purpose!

Secondarily, it would kind of solve the problem of constant war, by making peace way more accesible as you probably won't live for too long being fifty five years old.

Last edited by ahead (2019-08-18 19:41:49)

Sorry, nothing

#5 2019-08-18 19:45:47

MrsDuckGirl

Twisted wrote:

You can choose anything, but only one thing!

CatX wrote:

Baby slings
Babies in carts
Baby cribs and baby bedrolls made of bear fur keeping them warm

Also
Saddles on pigs to use them as riding animals for kids

Girls...

I barely thought of it but I wish we had a kind of general chat/ check list/ to-do list to know what is needed and what people are working on. You could click on a task to tell people you're going for latex and it would say "Barry Lindon is getting latex", and if ever you die on your way then the task becomes available again.
Or the baker needs wheat, there's no more in town, someone would tick on the list and it would show "we need wheat".

That's maybe not very clear but I don't know how to express it better, as I said I barely thought of it.

#6 2019-08-18 19:48:18

pein

i think some sort of mining would be nice

badlands are the industrial biome, and they are same temperature as others
except the few bear caves, quite a lot of space

i can imagine an outpost over there
quite weeird that the main reason people settle in the green biome is that is green
i mean savanah and swamp has a few blocking tiles

the way i imagine it, the mining would be a longer process, where you dig up stones then crush it, process it, end up with a few strong metals and a lot of side products like round, flat and big stone
this would put the emphasis on work not the environment condition and transport (which is why rails never work cause resources deplete over time so quite bad to send 4 items over a mining cart)

i had the idea of family soup which turned out to be the stew, but still has quite a lot of points i made, my idea was a non portable food which is served inside the city, requires lot of steps and served at a table, has a good ratio on food value vs resources used
which is true, stew is non portable once cooked, well, no tables, but this became a category that something cant be moved so has more value but not portable in packs and baskets
it's satisfying that you can combine a lot of stuff into one and it's worth it, also that you don't need to go far for the ingredients once the setup is done
similarly, mining would be more processing and would worth it even for the side products

even if you got a bit of clay or round stones out of it, that can be turned into cisterns and adobe over time so more buildings
right now each city is quite the same, 50 tiles no firewood, and making new roads is too long process, people stop gathering stuff after a while and every town has 2-3 buildnings maybe

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-08-18 19:49:05

jinbaili83

A griefer button in start menu that costs 100% of life tokens.
Spawn as adult man in fixed spot some significant distance away from civilisation. Can only craft fire, primitive clothing and iron swords (no steel or newcomen needed). Regain life token for each kill but only when he dies close distance to his start location.
Bring back stolen goods to griefer camp to make next raids easier.

Woud this be fun game play for anyone who does not want to build civilisation or take care of family?

#8 2019-08-18 20:10:03

schmloo

Bodies of water, like lakes, oceans or rivers. The reason why villages can’t find each other early on just by using in-game communication is because they don’t have a common natural landmark to connect them. If villages for example were founded along these bodies of water, trade (for example) could occur as people can follow the river/coastline. During the rift this was possible as the natural landmark was the rift edges — if you followed the edges of the rift you were guaranteed to find some kind of player interaction. However, because the rift was so confined, the raiding problem got way too out of hand.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#9 2019-08-18 20:43:22

WalrusesConquer

I think having seasons would be a biggie for me. Just the whole "stocking up for winter" and everyone in a building together, talking while the storms going on outside! It just sounds really cool to me

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#10 2019-08-18 22:54:36

DarkDrak

For me it would be Modernization.
Electricity: Being able to make Aeolic turbines and use their power to pump water, heat up/cool down buildings. Then making a building at that desert tarry spot that has AC inside and doesnt make you boil like an egg. Making batteries used to power stuff like loudspeakers (that allow every player in a large radius to hear you. Useful for coordination)
Tractors: Having a machine that can hoe up several tiles of soil easily, that can inseminate large camps of milkweed or wheat or corn, that can irrigate them just as easily
Gunpowder and TNT: make bombs that can blow up and demolish ancient walls, bear caves, bell tower bases. Making guns that kill from far away.
Railroad revolution: Trains and long vagons! makes transport of people and goods much faster, but takes ages of group efforts to be built. ('cause, come on, the railcart right now is inferior to a normal cart in pretty much every way)

also
Lather clothes: being able to skin cows and bisons and making lather jackets, pants and boots from animal skins
Medieval Armor and Shields: A probabilistic combat system based on how heavily armored your opponent is, on wether he's holding a shield or not (i mean... it would be much modern than where we are now)

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#11 2019-08-18 23:25:49

oholfanboi

Baking update.

My ideas for a new baking update are...
Undyed frosting, Red frosting, Blue frosting, Green frosting, Red food dye, Blue food dye, Green food dye,
Frosting on bread, Red frosting on bread, green frosting on bread, Blue frosting on bread, Knife with frosting, Knife with red frosting, knife with blue frosting, knife with green frosting, Sliced Bread with frosting, Sliced bread with blue frosting, sliced bread with green frosting, sliced bread with red frosting.

Spam eat life at a radio.

#12 2019-08-19 13:30:49

Anshin

GENETICS!

Apply it to every living thing - people, plants, animals. It's such an essential part of biological crafting.
Legacy and a sense of both history and progress would be so improved with a genetics system.

MultiLife made such a great example for the characters:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4357

It would exponentially increase the variety of objects in the game, and variety is the spice of life!

#13 2019-08-19 15:20:54

WalrusesConquer

Anshin's back!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-08-19 22:54:17

OminousBladeBlank

War Update:

Armor that soaks a hit and then breaks while still giving the attacker a murder debuff.

Expensive but permanent devices that work how snowballs used to, making you drop what you're holding. Skin them like glass/sand-eggs that keep them historically accurate.

Transport carts: horse-carts that can transport people - doubles great for the adventurous fertiles who need to choose between the cart and the kid.

War bows? Expensive crossbows with expensive bolts that can be fired at a similar rate to the war sword. Maybe to avoid the biggest problem with swords, these should not be droppable when on cooldown, the cooldown is simply short. Can be loaded directly from pack maybe? Or from a wearable apron-like quiver that takes your shirt spot.

Civilian Militia: This was suggested by someone else on another thread once, and I like the idea. Perhaps allow anyone who has a murder face on to be killed by an otherwise benign tool like a shovel or hoe. It acts as a counter to raids.

Meds are all set since you can move them now and store them on your person.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#15 2019-08-20 00:32:26

Karrots

Everyone pretty much said everything I could think of. Maybe adding fruits and and fruit related recipes? And listing allies (people you are at peace with) as "ally" instead of "no relation" and enemies (peoples you're at war with) as "enemy" instead of "no relation"

#16 2019-08-20 03:35:05

Mr meeseeks

I would add an observation mode that allows you to spectate your direct descendants.

And, the ability to curse them while spectating.

Last edited by Mr meeseeks (2019-08-20 07:21:42)

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#17 2019-08-20 05:16:19

Ein Delone

Distinguishable sprites. Genetic combination from your mom and dad if the marriage is added. Or make a feature variable (e.g hair color, face shape) if  solo parent. Though I am pretty sure Jason said it was impossible in code.

#18 2019-08-20 08:48:40

Dodge

Skill system with jobs so we cant rush the tech tree in less than a day plus it makes communication between players more important (to ask for different crafted goods for example).

I believe this would make trading a real part of the game, if not everyone can make everything it makes crafted items more valuable since they become more rare.

#19 2019-08-20 22:11:08

Jk Howling

A functional "Peace" and "War" system.

Opposing families start out neutral with each other, the other family being marked as simply "No Relation." Swords are unable to be used.

Over time, if one elder [changed to 40+ instead of 55+] from each family declares Peace in each others' or their shared language, swords are disabled permanently. The other family is now tagged with "Ally" instead of "No Relation." Could have this effect the language barrier too.. maybe now they can all understand each other flawlessly.

On the flip side, if two [or maybe three] family members from a single family declares War, swords become active and they get a special emote/sound, something similar to murder mouth but distinct enough to not be mistaken for such.. A war cry, perhaps? Maybe red/bloodshot eyes or something? And perhaps a declaration goes out that x family is at war with y family. Could also maybe effect the language barrier.

To end the war, I think either those who instigated must declare peace/neutrality again, or one of each side has to do so like the initial peace process.

I just want wars to actually be wars, not a singular asshole running around with several swords slaughtering anyone they come across. There should be some sort of collective agreement among the family to declare war against another. Show an actual difference between war and serial killers, because right now there often isn't.

-Has ascended to better games-

#20 2019-08-21 07:22:36

CatX

I'd also like a farming upgrade. Basically, farming could get easier in high tech town. Horse drawn ploughs instead of hoes, a new kind of cistern where you use a bowl to get water instead of a bucket, irrigation, berry picking tools made of iron... And if winter ever becomes a thing, perhaps crops would need to be moved into greenhouses or planted in deserts and jungles during winter. Or perhaps polytunnels could give a higher yield even in summer. Perhaps animals could get more uses. Geese in the fields could help the crops grow faster, for example (since they're weeding).

berry_picker_1.jpg

04-09-12-Schaupfl%C3%BCgen-Fahrenwalde-RalfR-IMG_1232.jpg

Drip%202.jpg

229c9fee19b6d003f1cf99ed405a29d2.jpg

ganzen.jpg

#21 2019-08-22 20:23:37

CatX

Also - GPS.

Basically if someone loses a car or a plane with GPS installed, you can locate the vehicle. Not sure how the game mechanics should work though.

#22 2019-08-23 00:01:23

DestinyCall

CatX wrote:

Also - GPS.

Basically if someone loses a car or a plane with GPS installed, you can locate the vehicle. Not sure how the game mechanics should work though.

Forget the game mechanics, can you imagine how many steps would be needed to build the GPS device, piece by piece?   It would take several lifetimes.

And then you would need to get all the satellites into orbit ...

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-23 00:03:07)

#23 2019-08-23 05:23:18

CatX

DestinyCall wrote:

Forget the game mechanics, can you imagine how many steps would be needed to build the GPS device, piece by piece?   It would take several lifetimes.

And then you would need to get all the satellites into orbit ...

Well, supposedly this is the future. Perhaps there's already a satellite in orbit that hasn't been destroyed by whatever apocalypse that annihilated the Eve's world. wink

And aren't people already complaining that reaching the end of the tech tree happens too quickly? I'm sure there are some who would be up for the challenge.

But if it's too difficult, perhaps a new kind of mine could be an 'archaeological dig site' where we could salvage components from a pre-historic civilization. Maybe.

I don't know. I just want the ability to locate the missing vehicles big_smile

#24 2019-08-23 06:14:40

DestinyCall

heehee  ... sorry, I'm just giving you a hard time.   And the thought of building a GPS device in OHOL amused me greatly.   

I would also love a way to find missing vehicles ... and my darn horse cart!

#25 2019-08-23 07:37:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

A better tutorial. A full and complete tutorial for the game that includes everything from farming to oil and engines.

The amount of people who have no idea what they are doing is kind of shocking. It's very rare I get help with an engine or oil. People just survive until a smart player comes along and helps them.

I'm tired of it being me. It's always me making the engines and oil. They ask me to teach them but it's just Impossible. You can't teach an engine in one life time. I had to go on a low population server and teach myself where I made a TON of mistakes and it took me hours and hours to memorize.

Not even just engines though. Teaching baking and farming is something I just am tired of doing. They're so important and the tutorial doesn't do shit to teach them.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer