One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-14 17:56:58

BurntBaby

What happened?

I stopped playing around the language learning update. No reason in particular, I just got bored with the game. Now I come back and there seems to be a large portion of the community who is filled with hate for the new updates and particularly Jason for some reason. Why? What happened?

I read up on all the new updates and they all seem like great additions to me. Almost all of the steam reviews are just insulting Jason for updating his own game with his own vision for it in mind. They are all insulting him as if he's an evil, horrible monster who's out to get the players and the game is a big scam. This is obviously overblown and not very helpful.

What are the flaws with the game in the current state? I want a civil explanation from someone who isn't a crybaby just hopping on the bandwagon.

Last edited by BurntBaby (2019-08-14 18:00:14)

#2 2019-08-14 18:16:05

Dodge

Re: What happened?

Yeah people dont like change in general, there where negative reviews after each game changing update and the last update was a big change in the game so a lot of people got angry.

To be fair last update ( a finite world) made griefing a much bigger issue to the point where it was overwhelming BUT these issues are all going to be fixed when Jason comes back from vacation so the majority of reactions are over exagerated.

Some people need to chill

Also on the plus side it brought attention to a lot of different issues that are now going to be taken care off.

Sometimes you have to break something to see it's flaws and be able to make it better.

All in all Jason works hard to make the best game and he listens to feedback (reasonable feedback) to improve his game and fix issues that come along with every game changing update.

#3 2019-08-14 19:38:08

Amon

Rampant griefing. And only griefing. People complained so much about griefing they too began to exhibit antisocial behaviour which in turn only fueled people's frustration.
And grieing is a people issue. We have an organised griefer group goin round being butts.

But!
We're slowly moving update wise to make it less of an issue. Otherwise the rift itself is quite good, it brought us a new terrain generation, navigation is easy, we can fuel iron mines to dig more!
There's nothing necessarily wrong with the update, it's just the update potented problem issues and before people go, turn it back to prevent griefing.
The game can be turned back so much to be a single player game and you'd never encounter a single griefer...ever. But that's not a game we want.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-08-14 21:42:02

DestinyCall

For me personally, it was the property fence update.   The whole concept behind property fences goes against what I see as the core concept of the game.  I really like the idea that we are all cooperatively working toward a common goal.   That each individual villager is a small piece of a larger, multi-generational puzzle which fits together to make something bigger and better than you could make on your own.   I like that we have the freedom to be jerks to each other, but (for the most part) people choose to work together and help each other and improve the village.   Magic stick fences designed to keep your neighbors from touching your stuff with their grubby hands don't have any place in my ideal OHOL village.

The war swords/language update came out after the fence update ... and that pretty much did it for me.   I actually really liked the work Jason did to add an interesting and adaptive language filter into the game.  But warswords combined with close Eve spawns was a killer combination, quite literally.  It soured my experience and made me lose interest in the game for several months.

I came back just recently to check on how things had progressed and I feel like the intervening updates are a mixed bag.   I really like the map topography update.  It was something I wanted for a while actually and I see it as a distinct improvement.   And the addition of the elder takedown notice is good too.   I have mixed feelings about the rift - I do not like the focus on absolute scarcity.  I would be much happier if the map provided renewable resources that required careful management to match-up with your tech level - so you have a pressure to move up to higher tech because you exhaust local resources, but you can still expand or explore to find new resources on a global scale or unlock access to advanced resources using technology (like with the iron deposit and water spring) to restore local access to critical resources.

But right now, I think the most important thing for me is if anything can or will be done to address the chronic griefing problems.   The level of violence and frustration in the game right now is too high for me to play comfortably.   I've tried and I do not find it a positive experience.

On the upside, I still have hope that future updates will reverse the trend.  It is just hard to wait patiently for progress, especially when it feels like the each week, the game takes one step forward and two steps back.

#5 2019-08-15 01:07:18

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

To be fair last update ( a finite world) made griefing a much bigger issue to the point where it was overwhelming BUT these issues are all going to be fixed when Jason comes back from vacation so the majority of reactions are over exagerated.

No, they won't get fixed.  This makes for the second 'experiment' with bringing everyone closer together.  The reactions come as underexagerrated, because very few people seem to recognize that the whole finite map notion limits the potential playerbase at one time.  The game was already small before, and the rift notion just locks into being small.  And griefers collectively will end smarter than Jason.

Dodge wrote:

All in all Jason works hard to make the best game and he listens to feedback (reasonable feedback) to improve his game and fix issues that come along with every game changing update.

No, he does not.  He does not work hard to listen to his playerbase and try to take into account their suggestions.  He is not even in the ballpark in that respect.  He disrespects the notion of meaningful player choice.  There is no choice screen, even though people requesting an Eve button is very old.  He disrespects player interest, instead telling players what is interesting instead of listening to them.  And he won't admit his mistakes, like property fences or swords (note that swords never had a positive reaction in general from the community... and they never have been useful to lineages).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-08-15 01:08:21)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-08-15 01:24:20

BurntBaby

DestinyCall wrote:

long

I've always thought of the game as a simulator of real life, where yes there are griefers (criminals,) wars, property, etc. Even if these things aren't inherently fun, I think they add to the whole of a game where civilization rises and falls at an extremely accelerated rate you can watch with your own eyes. I guess you could call me a roleplayer.

Spoonwood wrote:

long

Hm... I can see that yet again there seems to be a rift between players of think of the game as, well, a game, and players who think of the game as a social experiment and roleplaying experience.

First of all, I can see where you are coming from with the finite map limiting the potential player base, but I just don't see that as a very big problem. The map is still very large and can hold the current player base, and many more people too. It's just that the players need to learn to adapt, which I see as great! This is a fluctuating experience in which you need to keep up with the latest changes.

And the griefer problem shouldn't fall on Jason's shoulders, that's ridiculous! The system is never going to be perfect, and it shouldn't be! In real life, there's no supernatural system literally preventing people from murdering or destroying property. Instead, there is a government and police force, and that's what players should create. Removing weapons that can kill is unrealistic and is a bad idea.

The problem with Jason not listening to the player base: That is once again ridiculous! This is HIS GAME, not yours, and that means he can do whatever he wants with it. If that means doing something that will make you unhappy, so be it.

The choice screen idea is a bad idea. It would cause too many eves. Just because Jason doesn't add every idea the community requests doesn't mean he's a bad person. Lots of developers do that, in fact, the community should be thankful for how open he is, lots of devs aren't transparent at all, and don't listen to the community in the slightest. Meanwhile, Jason gives us an update almost every week and posts a lot on these forums. Property fences and swords aren't a bad idea, as I've explained above it's a simulation of the real world where these are real things. It doesn't mean jack that they aren't useful to linages, they're realistic.

Last edited by BurntBaby (2019-08-15 01:54:41)

#7 2019-08-15 02:55:11

DestinyCall

BurntBaby wrote:

And the griefer problem shouldn't fall on Jason's shoulders, that's ridiculous! The system is never going to be perfect, and it shouldn't be! In real life, there's no supernatural system literally preventing people from murdering or destroying property. Instead, there is a government and police force, and that's what players should create. Removing weapons that can kill is unrealistic and is a bad idea.

No supernatural system that prevents people from murdering or destroying property in real life, you say?

Clearly you have never gone to church, son.

But seriously, Jason might not like it, but it IS his responsibility when people use his servers inappropriately.   He has the power to set a code of conduct and deny access to people who repeatedly cross the line.  Almost every multiplayer game has some degree of moderation, because people are people and some people are really horrible.  I get the impression that Jason doesn't want to put himself in the position of watchdogging our behavior.  He would rather have us police ourselves somehow.  Emphasis on the "somehow" because we clearly lack the means to properly curb the rampant griefing in the game.   An in-game police system is a lovely idea, but pretty far from the current reality in OHOL.  How do you imagine it working exactly?   Griefers are playing a completely different game from the rest of us.   Do you really think fear of the "police" will stop them from misbehaving?

Ultimately, it is up to Jason to decide what he wants for his game and its community.   It is his decision and his responsibility.   We can only work with what he gives us ... or go play a different game.  That is our choice.    A lot of the negativity stems from the frustration that people feel with their own helplessness, watching a game that they care about change into something ugly.   I don't think they hate the game or Jason.   On the contrary, the reason why they are complaining so loudly and so angrily is because they genuinely love the game and want it to get better.   If they cared a little less, many of the loudest complainers would have already moved on.   Instead, they are still here, advocating for change and hoping to be heard in time.

#8 2019-08-15 04:03:50

Dantox

Dodge wrote:

Making the best game is impossible since there will never be a "best game ever" and honestly it doesnt fit what jason tries to accomplish here.

Jason doesnt take feedback in general unless he is totally clueless on how to fix a problem. If he truly cared for feedback we would be on a better state right now (with rift included, because it CAN work, but it was implemented horribly as every new gimmick that jason adds)

It doesnt help that most of the time the fixes to these types of updates are made via trial and error which makes things more frustating for the players. (going on vacation while leaving an unfinished balanced game-changing update live is not a smart decision to make; he should have reverted the changes from the start of the vacation)

Last edited by Dantox (2019-08-15 04:05:11)

make bread, no war

#9 2019-08-15 06:51:44

CatX

BurntBaby wrote:

I've always thought of the game as a simulator of real life, where yes there are griefers (criminals,) wars, property, etc. Even if these things aren't inherently fun, I think they add to the whole of a game where civilization rises and falls at an extremely accelerated rate you can watch with your own eyes. I guess you could call me a roleplayer.

I disagree. In my opinion, griefers can only exist in games or worlds created by humans, not in real life itself. Griefing is to not play the game as intended with the purpose of destroying other people's fun.

Yes, people act that way in real life to, but they have real life reasons for misbehaving. While in the game, griefers do not have in-game reasons.

It can be hard for players to separate griefers from players with in-game reasons, it's true. Sometimes we label any unwanted behavior as griefing. But there already is unwanted behavior that is not griefing - people borrowing the thing you needed, or building or planting stuff in the wrong places, or killing because of a dispute, or even raiding other villages to get needed resources to one's own village. I sincerely cannot see why the game should encourage griefing as well, on top of everything else - as in, people actively destroying the game for others because they take enjoyment in seeing people getting frustrated, and not for in-game reasons.

BurntBaby wrote:

And the griefer problem shouldn't fall on Jason's shoulders, that's ridiculous!

Nobody should blame Jason for the existence of griefers.

However, Jason is the only one with any real power do do anything about it, even when he says he's giving us the tools to deal with it.

There's at least two things he can do:

- Adopt a philosophy about griefing where griefing isn't a "village job", and be vocal about it. It seems to me that many griefers on the forums at least claim that they're only doing what Jason wants them to do. Now, I do think that the nature of griefers is that they're always going to be trolls no matter what Jason says, but a small shift in Jason's attitude like that would most likely improve relations between him and the player base.

- Implement more robust game mechanics. Like, why can't we repair a fence corner from the inside? Why can't we give our whole family access to a village gate, instead of person to person? Why does there need to be war swords that work only on strangers, it's not like real life mass murderers never kill their own family? Why are there bears at all when they have no function other than being a griefer tool? Couldn't they at least have a use? Or, couldn't they be woken up regularly by themselves, instead of having to be woken by griefers? Or, can't the bear just spawn on the same tile as the person waking it, so that waking a bear costs you your life? Things like that.

And of course, he could ban known griefers, but there are many things he could do before he takes that step.

BurntBaby wrote:

Instead, there is a government and police force, and that's what players should create.

How?

How are we going to be able to implement a government and a police force?

Ollj killed most of the geese in the last Rift in order to prevent people from making arrows. Let's say someone realized what he was trying to do. They could have... killed him? He would have been born again and continued somewhere else. Built a quick fence around one goose, to protect it?

No; Jason is the one who needs to fix things like that, for example by making resources for arrows easier to come by.

As for the war sword, it is controversial. Killing was implemented partly to give players a way to deal with griefers, but the war sword certainly does not have that function. I'm not saying I think it should go necessarily, but sometimes it feels as if new functionality is implemented because of a vision of how players will use it, and not taking into account how it may be abused by griefers.

Last edited by CatX (2019-08-15 06:56:16)

#10 2019-08-15 07:28:59

Potjeh

BurntBaby wrote:

When you die IRL you can't respawn, so any comparisons are moot.

Board footer