One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-11 23:18:23

Spoonwood

Can't Continue Your Pet Project... Oh Wait...

Doesn't the whole rift system make it so that if you start on one project in one life and don't finish, that you can continue with your 'pet' project in the next life?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-08-11 23:22:27

WumboJumbo

Re: Can't Continue Your Pet Project... Oh Wait...

Spoonwood wrote:

Doesn't the whole rift system make it so that if you start on one project in one life and don't finish, that you can continue with your 'pet' project in the next life?

Yeah, I guess.

#3 2019-08-12 00:05:50

DestinyCall

I never saw the downside of working on longterm projects across multiple lives.   It doesn't really harm anyone else's fun and some pet projects can be really cool.

#4 2019-08-12 00:26:31

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I never saw the downside of working on longterm projects across multiple lives.   It doesn't really harm anyone else's fun and some pet projects can be really cool.

I haven't either.  Sometimes multi-live projects aren't so 'pet' in nature also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-08-12 00:26:43)

Danish Clinch.

#5 2019-08-12 01:15:46

pein

that's how i made my fort, 2 lifes, then i let peoplemove in, was one of the best cities of the lategame

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-08-12 15:39:47

WalrusesConquer

It was only a problem when they would ONLY focus on that, not even raising non confirmed babies

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#7 2019-08-12 15:59:59

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think the ideal balance is that you should not have continuous lives in the same village.   But you should be able to return to past villages in a few hours to see how things have progressed in your absence.   

Prior to recent updates, I would rarely see the same village.   I play only one or two lives each day.  Most lines would die off before I could make it back to them without exploiting /die.   Since I usually just play the hand that I am dealt, I would never get the chance to see what happened to an interesting village or come back in a few generations to finish construction of the new bakery I decided to build.   If I planted a grove of trees, I would never know if they got watered.   If I died without completing something, I never knew if anyone else ever did.   It felt pretty frustrating.  I wanted to check back on the nice places and continue to improve them occassionaly.

In the current map, I don't have to wait.   If I am sufficiently motivated, I can figure out where the town is located and return every single life.   Fear of griefers, property fences, and language barriers can be a problem.   But what is the worst they can do ... kill me?   I will just come back.   If I'm lucky, I will even respawn as one of them so I can get back to work immediately.  If not, I just find the town again in my next life and try again. The people who killed me will be old by the time I return.   Their children might be more friendly or less vigilant.   I just have to wait for an opening and I'm back inside where I can continue my project, whatever it might be.

This is exactly what the griefers are constantly doing, but anyone is capable of doing the same thing for non-griefer reasons.   If you start working on a diesel engine, but you die, you could go back to keep working in your next life without waiting an hour or more to be reborn in that spot again.

As an example, yesterday I was born to a mother living in a tiny camp built on the edge of a swamp.   I was a boy.  When I was born she told me that I would be her last son.  She needed a daughter to continue the line.   Unfortunately, mother had no girls.  When she died, my two brother and I continued to work on the camp, making it better ... then we all died of old age one by one.   I was the last.   After I was reborn, I decided to find it again.   I was reborn male and when I got old enough, I set out to find our old camp.   After traversing the bear-filled wilds with a bowl of berries and passing various other villages, I eventually found it again.   The fence was intact, but the gate was down.   I started cleaning up and a woman on a horse showed up.  I greeted her and continued working, but sadly, she was not friendly and killed me.    In my next life I returned again, this time as a girl.   The woman who stabbed me in my previous life was still inside.  I waited .. she died of old age.  I moved back into my old home.   From there, I had boys .. and more boys.  Just like my mother.   There must be something in the water ...  Regardless, my boys were good kids, but they didn't care to stay without any future, so they let themselves die.  Once again I was the last.   And in my next life, I returned again to repair the propety fence and continue to work on my little home.  If I built a lock and replaced the property gate and fence with real stone walls, I could keep doing this for the rest of the arch.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-12 16:22:51)

#8 2019-08-12 16:05:06

Potjeh

Like, is there even a point in feeding babies right now? Genetic score is a meme anyway, and you can get a lot more done on your projects if you don't bother with babies.

#9 2019-08-12 16:33:07

DestinyCall

Potjeh wrote:

Like, is there even a point in feeding babies right now? Genetic score is a meme anyway, and you can get a lot more done on your projects if you don't bother with babies.

You get enough lives, it doesn't cost much to re-roll as male.   

Even when I'm female, I find that I have plenty of time to work on side projects as long as I get started early and prioritize clothing.  If the village needs girls, I'll stay untill after forty.   Otherwise, I just go where I want and raise my babies on the fly.   

Call me a crazy person, but I actually enjoy the challenge of traveling across bear-infested wilderness with a baby or two.   I can usually get them at least partially equipped from the remains of less fortunate travellers.   When possible, I try to at least keep them alive and get them to an abandoned town or back to my home village, before I return to my personal project.   

My time is precious, but so is the time of other people, so I don't like to waste it.   Nomad life is hard, but I feel like we should enjoy it while we still can.   We might not have renewable wild food next update.

#10 2019-08-12 18:04:02

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

And in my next life, I returned again to repair the propety fence and continue to work on my little home.  If I built a lock and replaced the property gate and fence with real stone walls, I could keep doing this for the rest of the arch.

Stone wall structures can get permanently blocked.  Tree wall structures or plaster wall structures aren't exactly easy to destroy, so might deter griefing, but come as much more difficult to block than just blocking an entrance.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-08-12 18:37:57

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

And in my next life, I returned again to repair the propety fence and continue to work on my little home.  If I built a lock and replaced the property gate and fence with real stone walls, I could keep doing this for the rest of the arch.

Stone wall structures can get permanently blocked.  Tree wall structures or plaster wall structures aren't exactly easy to destroy, so might deter griefing, but come as much more difficult to block than just blocking an entrance.

That is a good point.  If I want to make a private home for myself, I would start early and gather a lot of iron.   Then I would wall myself in behind a fence made out of locked doors.   You cannot block them all.

I'd expand my property line by planting hungry-work trees and property fencing.

Board footer