One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-09 09:32:34

Hans

in 15 hours the current arc will be a week old...

...and for me personally it stopped being fun Sunday night.
When did you grow tired of it?
Pls Jason reset the damn thing, even if you aren't going to patch anything since you are on vacation.

currently its very well possible that we are never going to hit the failure condition naturally

#2 2019-08-09 09:38:10

Villas

Re: in 15 hours the current arc will be a week old...

I’m not tired yet, towns have iron, food, clothing, a lot of resources.
The sad thing someone chopped 95% of juniper trees, but the map seems ok.

Jason wanted to reset once the natural resources run out, but there are a lot of natural resources to use. Water, trees, oil, iron.

#3 2019-08-09 10:16:18

Hans

Villas wrote:

yeah about that
I just ran around twenty minutes trying to find a juniper tree, and I failed.
You do realize that the game economy is fucked without the ability to make fire. Almost all food needs fire, tool production needs fire, this is actually quite smart and of course Jason forgot to make chopping down juniper trees hungry work.

#4 2019-08-09 11:15:34

DarkDrak

Hans wrote:

Jason forgot to make chopping down juniper trees hungry work.

And he forgot to make Palm trees require hungry work aswell. And the Yew trees aswell.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#5 2019-08-09 11:23:46

sigmen4020

This arc looks to me like the biggest joke imaginable, and that’s coming from someone who hasn’t been playing lately. Just end it already Jason. I can imagine that there is nothing constructive to do but murder each other in an endless loop. I thought things were looking up when he started actually listening to the community for a short time, but it seems I was sorely mistaking. I’m almost at the point where I would only bother playing on low pop and CCM. At least there the retarded drama is at a minimum.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-08-09 14:38:36

DestinyCall

Hans wrote:
Villas wrote:

yeah about that
I just ran around twenty minutes trying to find a juniper tree, and I failed.
You do realize that the game economy is fucked without the ability to make fire. Almost all food needs fire, tool production needs fire, this is actually quite smart and of course Jason forgot to make chopping down juniper trees hungry work.

I played a life last night in one of the few remaining functional towns.  I had a daughter and when I asked her what she wanted to do with her life, she said "I will plant trees".   She planted trees inside our property fence as expected.  But she also went outside to plant juniper saplings. 

I don't know if any of the baby trees survived to maturity and if they did, they might still get destroyed.   But at least there are some people still trying to help fix the problems.

#7 2019-08-09 15:11:09

Whatever

DestinyCall wrote:

I played a life last night in one of the few remaining functional towns.  I had a daughter and when I asked her what she wanted to do with her life, she said "I will plant trees".   She planted trees inside our property fence as expected.  But she also went outside to plant juniper saplings.

lol !
i was that daugther, i planted 9 juniper trees outside in random locations, i planted them at a young age so i could water them twice and make sure they survive.
i hope noone cut all of them, more people need to plant trees.

#8 2019-08-09 16:05:41

DestinyCall

Awesome!  Thank you for doing that.   I spent most of that life cleaning up the inside of the village and decluttering.   It is a never-ending job, but strangely satisfying. 

I was inspired to take on clean-up as my personal mission when I saw the same bucket of latex sitting in the exact same spot as when I played in that village 24 hours ago.   I hate to see a useless bucket.

#9 2019-08-09 16:25:14

testo

Funny enough, I started to play the last two days. I don´t want this Arc to end. Don´t get me wrong I hate the rift and state of the game, but I want to see how far away can we make it against griefers and Jason. Also I want to check how far away from the real game are Jason´s ideas. All in all, is not the lack of resources what will kill civilization, but the lack of tools to fight griefers. Think for a minute how long could this last knowing all the iron and resources lost in locked places.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2019-08-09 17:22:12

DestinyCall

And now I went back to the same town to check on the trees, only to watch half the village get wiped out by internal griefers with war swords.  Lovely.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate swords?

#11 2019-08-09 19:12:22

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:

And now I went back to the same town to check on the trees, only to watch half the village get wiped out by internal griefers with war swords.  Lovely.

It's disgusting to see the same children again and again entering villages and killing families

I'm tired of having lives with murders and griefers

if they don't have a sword, they stick you with a knife or an arrow

if they don't have weapons, they steal your tools or engines

they can hurt in a minute but you can't repair their damage in a minute
Jason is very unbalanced !!!

#12 2019-08-09 20:29:56

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

Well I don’t even blame the people who use it this arc. There is nothing else to do. Nothing constructive at least. No juniper trees to make fires with and no iron makes constructive work impossible.

War swords have always sucked though.

#13 2019-08-09 23:00:45

Tempted

Anyone know of a server that doesn't contain the rift by chance?

#14 2019-08-09 23:12:24

sigmen4020

Tempted wrote:

Not any that has players. Every one of Jasons official servers are using the rift. You either gotta make your own private server or play something unofficial. Community Crucible is back up again so you can play that. No rift on that server.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6794

#15 2019-08-09 23:39:11

Lava

Villas wrote:

Jason wanted to reset once the natural resources run out, but there are a lot of natural resources to use. Water, trees, oil, iron.

This is only for a short amount of time, You were just lucky you logged in when someone made an iron drop.

#16 2019-08-10 00:19:47

Villas

Lava wrote:
Villas wrote:

This is only for a short amount of time, You were just lucky you logged in when someone made an iron drop.

Well, I played a lot today and there were a lot of iron in towns, there is a town near western rift that have two piles of steel, put people dont even touch it because there are dozens of tools, someone is trying to grief hiding stuff and chopping trees to reset the world, but resources are not the problem actually, we have more iron, tools, water than before the rift, milkweed farms, ropes  everywhere.

The problem isn't the resources, but the humans, it's like The Walking Dead, there are food and places to farm, the problem is humans killing before they get killed or stealing resources even when they don't need, just to don't have risk of their neighbours being more rich and end up killing them.

An Eve can easily find a dead town with firebow, berry farm, even tools but soon or later someone will go there and kill everyone.

#17 2019-08-10 00:32:45

ollj

i just played this shit for 1 hour after a 3 day break. what a dull waste of time that was. horses caged in, and i still saw 4 and rode one most of the time.
metal and tools practically nonesistent.
the stakes have never been stacked higher.
theres like only 2 to 3 regios with significant activity in them, and they flow over with shitty cloth.
somehow people managed to not run out of milkweed as fast as i hoped.

so, this is what a dead game state looks like eh.

its obvious that the rift is dumb gameplay wise, and not at al needed to see what resources are how/too rare.
people who play this game a lot already knew this 3 months before the rift was added as torture, under a dumb pretense for balancing.

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-10 00:37:05)

#18 2019-08-10 00:48:57

Villas

ollj wrote:

i just played this shit for 1 hour after a 3 day break. what a dull waste of time that was. horses caged in, and i still saw 4 and rode one most of the time.
metal and tools practically nonesistent.
the stakes have never been stacked higher.
theres like only 2 to 3 regios with significant activity in them, and they flow over with shitty cloth.
somehow people managed to not run out of milkweed as fast as i hoped.

so, this is what a dead game state looks like eh.

its obvious that the rift is dumb gameplay wise, and not at al needed to see what resources are how/too rare.
people who play this game a lot already knew this 3 months before the rift was added as torture, under a dumb pretense for balancing.

You are lying or you didn't play in a town.
Because there are more steel than we can use, there are five of each tool in a same town, more clothes than players, milkweed really isn't  the problem. Talking about resources, the rift is very rich.

Griefers keep chopping trees, hidding iron, destroying engines (making cars, double engined wells), even so people keep farming more junipers, making more engines, getting more iron. Look this screenshot, I just took it in a non-fenced town:

LINZZ3S.png

It doesn't seem "almost non-existent", it's one of the richest towns I've ever seen, and it's just one small non-fenced village, there are more towns with more steel and tools, no needs for crying.

#19 2019-08-10 01:07:26

Villas

Look, just born in a semi-fenced village, a lot of tools as well, seven days after the reset.
n5kIzIC.jpg
Steel stays untouched cuz no one uses them, they don't need to, so many tools.

We need more tech things to do, because we are rich we did everything in seven days. Planes, cars, engines, radios (transmiter and receive in the same towns, in two towns, so people can speak and listen), people are just letting lassos on the ground, because we are not even using that much rope anymore.

Even with people chopping junipers, villages have fire, they are just farming more trees.

Edit:
Got bit by a bear and born in another town with more tools:
9OZ9iAr.jpg

Last edited by Villas (2019-08-10 01:21:10)

#20 2019-08-10 08:34:24

Coniculls13
Website

Tempted wrote:

https://discord.gg/GNg3JUX

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#21 2019-08-10 09:12:40

Dodge

Main issue is juniper trees/fire and the grieffed buildings and just griefing in general also the fail condition is not good, probably going to be the priority when he come back from vacation.

#22 2019-08-10 11:21:17

CatX

I've been away for several weeks, and before that I had some time off OHOL, so it was my first time playing in a while yesterday.

My impression of the rift:

- It wasn't as bad as I thought. After dying a few times as Eve's children, I ended up in two towns in different lives with plenty of resources.

- I do like that both towns were homes for several families. They tried to make peace with each other. Last time I played, more than a month ago, multi-family towns were rare. People often killed strangers just in case. This time, killing strangers seemed to be regarded as griefing.

What I didn't like:

- Griefers. Naked Eves killing people is just silly. It has always been a weakness of this game that griefers apparently are seen by the game designer as the only way to create tension. In the rift people seem more vulnerable to griefers than ever.

- There didn't seem to be possible to play as an Eve in the wilderness. It seems like the only way to survive is either to travel from berry bush to berry bush, or to join an established town.

- The lack of certain resources also makes it hard for anyone except people in established towns to fight bears.

- Giving individuals access to gates takes too long. It should be possible to give access to one's family.

I wish...

- I wish that instead of the rift, road building had been made simpler. With the new peace system in place, perhaps we would have been more eager to find new towns and build roads between them, and live in multi-family towns as in the olden days.

I wonder...

Is Donkey Town outside the rift? If so, if we curse people they can go outisde the rift, make air planes, and fly back in? And if so, how long would it take to transport all fertile females out of the rift...? Males can fly in, women fly out, and eventually everybody can live on the outside... or did I misunderstand something?

#23 2019-08-10 11:26:55

wondible

CatX wrote:

Is Donkey Town outside the rift? If so, if we curse people they can go outisde the rift, make air planes, and fly back in? And if so, how long would it take to transport all fertile females out of the rift...? Males can fly in, women fly out, and eventually everybody can live on the outside... or did I misunderstand something?

I don't know all the details, but I know planes were changed to only fly within the rift. You might be able fly *in* *once*, but building a plane per trip is a pretty high price.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#24 2019-08-10 11:42:40

CatX

wondible wrote:

I don't know all the details, but I know planes were changed to only fly within the rift.

Oh sad

I will miss the neverending world.

Jason, I think you're trying too hard this time...

#25 2019-08-10 17:43:54

Villas

CatX wrote:

What I didn't like:

- Griefers. Naked Eves killing people is just silly. It has always been a weakness of this game that griefers apparently are seen by the game designer as the only way to create tension. In the rift people seem more vulnerable to griefers than ever.

Exactly, and now he makes a post saying that he and his friends will spawn as Eves to kill everyone and grief the map to “help” people (Of course naked Eves killing people who are just playing their games and having fun helps a lot).  They can’t get curses, they can’t get banned and they can respawn whey they die.

Board footer