One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-07 07:32:44

OminousBladeBlank

Are You New? Job For You: BARKERS. Never Has There Been More of a Need

I lead a lot in game. It's less of a factor now for me because I spend most of my time in game building small military outfits, but I used to aim for making larger scale decisions in towns.

Like what? Building plans, resource management, and job allocation.

People don't ask for jobs much anymore, but there was a time around a year ago where noobs were everywhere and people would always ask for jobs.

One of my favorite positions to have filled in a town I ran or helped run was the barker.

Picking out a kid from the berries while he tries to water an empty bush and telling him to be the barker is great because as other threads have pointed out, communication is very inefficient in this game. Especially trying to fill a position like a smith, baker, or builder without knowing who in the damn town can do what because they're all over the place, or they're babies, or whatever the issue is.

Ok, you get it, barker is cool. What is it?

The town barker, when I've had one, has been in charge of town wide communication. The person in charge talks to the barker, and anyone who reports an issue or suggests a multi-facetted course of action can prioritize the barker as easily as the leaders themselves based simply on proximity. oh, the barker is right there i'll ask him.

The barker acts as a proxy leader / glorified secretary that lightens the social burden off of leaders and skilled players.

Realistically, I think this is about as good as you can get duties-wise.

I've used a barker for the following tasks:

"Find two people who can build and bring them to me"

"Tell everyone we (insert important or dangerous event i.e. bear or new hospital)"

"Find two teenage girls who want to populate a satellite"

Without any instruction, the barker has on occasion also come to me with specific problems that need to be addressed per request of different individuals.

Anyway, my point is that most of the times I used barkers was pre-sword and pre-property. Now, with the reality of raids almost every life, finite resources, and complicated & compact city design a barker in every family would be wildly useful.

A low skill cap role with large impact. You talk to the townspeople and gather requested talent. You make important announcements. Warn about raids. Declare the town's intentions. Anything more you do is just to fill your spare time enjoy it.

Think about it. It's at least one step up from corpse-master ---- great job. very important.

Next step for you new kids is librarian. Barker first though.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#2 2019-08-07 18:51:07

pein

Re: Are You New? Job For You: BARKERS. Never Has There Been More of a Need

wuf did yu do?

i baked twice after 2 famines, while 60 people died around me, if i don't do it, no one would of done it, it's like 2 min of work, even newbees can do it
smith used to be a bit more respected, but if you good enough you rather don't do it, just support it with kindling

depending on the world, making a horse cart is generally far more useful than smithing, rabbit hunting or any other job, as the speed allows fast strategical gathering, recovering stuff, and overall gives more information about tarry spots and strategic resources

i see 60% of town are barking still i never find a pie

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer