One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-31 14:53:53

Amon

What was your first post on OHOL?

What the title demands. What was your first post in ohol? Have you as a person changed your outlook on this forum, the game throughout your stay here? Let's be real, we probably all changed at least a smidge.

Do you think you changed for the better? For the worse? Maybe not at all? If for the worse, do you think you can become better?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#2 2019-07-31 15:02:32

arkajalka

Re: What was your first post on OHOL?

"This anti-spider god is super cringy facepalm for me. It doesnt have anything to do with ingame things. Just a cheap copy of carotism, berrybushism, cactiteism and pielover society. Please dont invent things off game and stick to something "real". There´s plenty of things to build a religion up from that are actually in the game.

All hail the snake god. Sacrifice your first born to snake.(this can be applyed to bears and wolfs too but needs some skill to commit)"

I still facepalm for roleplayers trying to force their BAD roleplay on others XD

My 2nd post is more like i actually am

"So our fine generations of carrot farmers and cactite lovers are none able to speak out numerals. I suggest we should adopt the roman way of numerals as in there is not enough ingame time(you die of hunger if you try to say 10245) to spell out the western option.

If people adopt this policy then it will in time come a new standard and easily readable. Also people get to learn something of our history.

Just for you reminder...

I = 1
II = 2
III = 3
IV = 4
V = 5
VI = 6
VII =7
VIII =8
IX =9
X = 10

L = 50

C = 100

D = 500"

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2019-07-31 15:08:13

Grim_Arbiter

arkajalka wrote:

"This anti-spider god is super cringy facepalm for me. It doesnt have anything to do with ingame things. Just a cheap copy of carotism, berrybushism, cactiteism and pielover society. Please dont invent things off game and stick to something "real". There´s plenty of things to build a religion up from that are actually in the game.

Spider no! Spider away!

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-07-31 15:10:50

Grim_Arbiter

My first post was about night infertility and how we used to get too spread out on the 3 servers we had.

The game was weird when we weren't all together in one server.

I don't think I've changed too much. My eyes were opened to certain things, and I've been wrong about stuff that I don't think is going to work, but ended up being humbled and opening my mind more.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-07-31 15:18:10)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-07-31 15:18:46

Amon

Oof, what an indicator Arkajalka!
This one is mine, on the temperature update.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 752#p45752
Amon is still the same... The same overly positive person. But I think my wording has mellowed out since then.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-07-31 15:32:54

Ellesanna

I remember my first post- it was before I had even purchased the game. I had been shadow stalking the game for about a month and then when I saw the new update that allowed for names I decided that I absolutely had to purchase this game and start playing it.

I love the concept of multi-generational games where you the player can have a family that grows and changes with time. The feature of families isn't uncommon in rpg games such as Fable, but almost all games with family features eventually hit a stagnant point- and that kills the fun for me. I was very much drawn in by the story potential of this game- a growing family in the middle of the troublesome wilderness? Sign me up! Sounds like a hell of a lot of stories waiting to happen.

I was not then and still not now a fan of survival games- the main reason being that I tend to suck at them.

I get overwhelmed by the number of tasks needing to be done ASAP causing me to freeze up and/or panic leading to a premature death- that has been my experience with almost every single survival save for things like Minecraft lol. Survival just isn't really my genre.
But I was willing to take the plunge into something that wasn't at all my thing for the promise of really good stories and cool family dynamics. I read the wikipedias and guides while waiting to build up my courage and and watched youtube lets plays and tutorials so I wouldn't a 'worthless berry muncher.'

Then I started playing the game.

I made mistakes and I died. Then I died again. I learned some new stuff and then promptly died. It was fun.  I made a friend who then promptly died.

And yet, soon enough, I began to gain competency in the game.

One thing this game has disappointed me in is that it is leaning heavily towards survival stuff at the expense of the story, which I don't mind- it is a survival game. But for me personally what brought me in was the family feature and the potential for good stories. I guess I had hoped to be an rper but I never really got to do that much due to high pace nature of this game. You only have an hour and you starve quickly- it is hard to have much of a conversation with others much less rp.  It seems that as more and more difficulties are added there is less time and opportunity to appreciate the story unfolding.

It isn't at all interesting to me to write about how I was a baker for the 50th time in a row cause everyone else was dicking around or griefing with a few handful actually working but unable to talk due to supporting ten other people.  While you may get the occasional good story, they are getting more and more rare which each update.

I actually played a few games before this post to see what the game was like now after months of being gone. There isn't much to say- its a cartoony survival game with partially clothed people running around.  I just wish I felt more connected to the people I was playing with. Even the weird genetic score thing just turns my family into numbers I want to be higher for my own personal benefit. Instead of feeling like I'm a part of a community with the same goals in mind I feel like I am actively fighting everyone else there for food and resources to get stuff done in place of whatever non sense they're trying to accomplish at the time.

I want to have fun and fun for me isn't the current grind that the game development has leaned towards and thats ok. As I said before- a lot of survival games are this way and survival isn't my genre. I think I would be willing to overlook and/or even welcome the grind if there was any connection with the other players on the screen but there really isn't.

Sorry 4th cousin once removed Billy Johnson, idgaf about you or your sister-wife Laura No-name. Please stop moving my fucking furs around I am trying to make a backpack so I can get some more rabbits to make another backpack for my sister's spawn in the hopes one of them is competent enough to keep this shit fest going. Fuck off with your pie eating gremlin children 'Adolph' and 'Adolph II' running around saying Heil.
God bless the mess.

I intend to continue playing the game for now as there are still pleasant experiences here and there but both my tolerance and my patience is starting to run thin. I loved the potential this game showed when I first bought it and I still have hopes- but I think it just isn't going down a route I would be able to appreciate much.

Last edited by Ellesanna (2019-07-31 15:35:33)

#7 2019-07-31 16:05:38

Lum

"Cooper Coolbro Froio, you really were the coolest and sickest bro I ever got the chance to raise.

-ur mom"

On a post where Coolbro told his whole life story. I was proud to be in that story. Also I feel like ending my post with "ur mom" is very accurate.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#8 2019-07-31 18:32:32

sigmen4020

My post was asking about the rarity of the new ginger and black models after they were being seen as the right races.

Idk if it really describes how I was back then. I do remember that I used to lurk for quite a lot before I posted my first post.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-07-31 18:55:03

Jk Howling

Jk Howling wrote:

To my beloved father, Birch Garden

I was born to a nameless mother, and the first thing I witnessed upon entering this world is you proposing to her- and her accepting.

She then proceeded to dub me Pain, for reasons I couldn't fathom. But like an angel, you swept in and gently corrected her: I was not pain, but Pailynn. A beautiful name. One I will cherish even beyond the afterlife.

Mother then proceeded to run off to continue doing her work. She didn't seem to remember I was around, and we soon found her bones. But again, you were there- warm, reassuring, gently feeding me berries until I was able to do so myself.

I wouldn't have survived without you.

We buried mom, honoring her grave with a marker and a beautiful white rose. I didn't know her long, and she didn't seem particularly fond of me, but I honored her death the best I could. We also buried my little sister, Gray, near her.

Things were a bit slow around the town after that. There were only a handful of us. Me, my older sister Fauna, an odd uncle named Usher.

I ranged a bit, working on a few odd jobs, but our paths crossed on occasion. You remembered me, and always greeted me with a warm "sweetie" or voiced your approval on whatever task I was working on.

You were there when I had my first child, a little girl named Lily. I was so proud when you looked down at her, proclaiming that we had a future. Rose came shortly after, and while her life was cut short thanks to a hungry bear, I cherished them both.

And then you staggered in, old and wrinkled. I knew you were on your last legs. I was in the middle of a task and almost missed your final words, the death was so sudden.

"Bye sweetie."

I'm extremely unhappy to say that I lost your bones. I ran off quickly in search of a basket, so I could bury you near Mother, and when I came back- they were just gone. I looked everywhere, asked if anyone had seen my beloved father's remains, to no avail.

I'll always regret not being able to lay you to rest with our family. I hope you found peace in the afterlife.

I took over babysitting not long after your death. Fauna had a few kids, and I had a trio of boys, so I stuck close to camp, tending the fire and feeding the babies. A few of them perished when I strayed a little too far from camp on an errand, but I was proud of those who made it. Aiden specifically sticks out in my mind.

But then came Adidas, or Adiba as his records said.

I fed him by the fire with the other children until he was old enough to pick things up. And here lies my biggest regret, one that brought an end to our lineage. He was a nasty child, sabotaging our camp. Hoarding food in a backpack he picked up. Hiding our tools. Watching us starve, one by one.

Uncle Usher tried to warn us. His last words were "Get the fuck out of here." At first I thought he was cursing the evil child who brought our downfall. But then I realized, he was talking to me and the rest of my struggling family. Telling us to leave, to find somewhere better, away from it all.

Of course I didn't. We had so much going for us where we were, and I couldn't abandon my family.. I starved, at the ripe age of 48, trying to warn my children of their evil cousin.

I made a lot of mistakes during this lifetime. Not recognizing my nephew's trolly tenancies until it was too late. Not migrating to better pastures. Not putting you to rest properly, near your wife and daughter and grandchildren.

But I will always remember you, father. For your kindness and warmth. I hope someday we'll meet again.

- Your daughter, Pailynn

On the old Missed Connections thread, dated back 2018-06-15.

Edit: Add-on

Actually looking back, a lot of my posts back then were stories of my lives. I miss those days. Lives were so much more exciting and fun to share with people than they have been recently. Definitely changed since then. If anything, my outlook on the game has become much bleaker ever since the sword update and Jason's new "i dont care what they say/want" idealism. Just isn't as fun anymore.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-07-31 19:00:43)

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2019-07-31 21:57:07

D3mon1cblack

well i dont really post on the forum but my first post was about how to get babies in the tutorial (actually a bug report) My first real post was how to make a shroom farm. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4122
ppl call me a shroom maniac for a reason i guess XD

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#11 2019-08-01 05:46:18

WalrusesConquer

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 305#p23305

This was the first post I made, people had started to complain where the cars were and doubting the trailer. I told them  (in a pretty cringey way) that I believed that we'd get there.
And I still do!
Also I think I'm relatively the same but I guess I write simpler phrases now ._.

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-08-01 05:49:06)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2019-08-01 06:23:33

Psykout

Psykout wrote:

Lot of good thoughts here. Nice to see another first impression and their views of the difficulties of the game. All of the points that were brought up do makes sense, as in they are indeed difficult and frustrating at first.

1) Birth Control
The choice to have a child or not

That exists in game right now. Your problem with it is someone gets to be a "small" pile of bones instead of never happening. Ask yourself, in our society if a baby was born, and you knew it couldn't be cared for and thrive, but you had a way to let it be a part of something maybe better, that it could be the SAME baby for someone else, would we do it? It's called adoption and we do it now. By letting a baby die in OHOL you are just giving it up for adoption. Of course at first I was like "WTF all I do is get left to die they don't want me or I don't know what I am doing yet so they leave me" Once I learned the game I realized that was just part of the deal, that if they feel like there is no way to care for me or a place for me, I don't want to be there. One minute later either I will be somewhere more sustainable or as my own eve ready to take on the same challenge that I just experienced from the other side. This is a game that is built around the premise of the fruits of your labors are for strangers that you will not interact with and the future generations. Why are you then so attached to one single life/spawn? Just let it go... Start anew, clean the slate as Eve or find your place in a group that feels like that there is something to contribute to, rather than focus on being left behind.

I focused on blacksmith right out of the gate because many early villages no one knows that stuff. When I pop up somewhere established and the forefront is new territory for me, I feel slightly useless. If the only thing I know how to do is taken care of, what is the point of me being here. If your Eve/Mother knows that right at that moment there isn't much to add to, and its not the right time, why fight against that and cling to wanting to live that life so much. Just let it go, start anew. Its why we are all here man.

2) Inventory
The limitations at the moment lead to some essentially highly(debatable...) functioning trash piles, but thats on the players not the game. If you know that can be a problem and its how the game works, stop making a kiln one tile from the farm. Stop making eggs with the flat stones from the forge. Put your tools back exactly from where you got them. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, spread out. You are starting a civilization not a man cave that needs to have the TV, Chair, Food/Drink all at arms reach. Everytime I build a forge in a budding new player town, I move it away from everything else so its off screen to most (yeah you know what I am talking about, another "issue"). If you ever pop up into a civ that is riding horses around attached to carts and all the babies are wearing Gucci - pay attention to the lay out. Everything has its place and its own space - thats why they are riding horses.

Onto your story. I get it, I have died like that. I didn't stab people on my downward spiral to the grave, but then again I would have put the knife in my backpack and tried to set down that one gooseberry you didn't realize you even had in there. Secondly you said it yourself,  "I was standing there texting and forgot to eat." Why then is this suddenly a problem with the game, you live a year every minute, thats six days a second. If you suddenly forget to eat for essentially 6 months yeah you gunna be dead. If you die because you couldn't get your hands free to pick up a berry, you waited WAY too long to take care of that. Its the equivalent of knowing you have slow growing cancer but saying, "hey it won't take me out for 15 years, I will deal with it around then. Lastly - you have a backpack... keep one piece of food in there, you never have to set something down if you just rotate food to your hands (again if you die holding a "two handed" item to starvation - some other decision is at play - not Jasons.)

I'd argue that 60min life and spawn on other people is not the one great unique idea, its the one liner that gets you in the door. The great idea is that when you realize how much is needed to reach higher levels, that you are happy to be the cog. You don't need to be the conductor, you are happy being one of hundreds of wheels that gets you there. You don't have a personal inventory because NOTHING is personal, its never meant to be there for you its for "us". To be honest the more I think about it, the fact that its no easy to clutter up and rob everyone of productivity, adds to the collective. Don't like messy towns, don't be messy. If you have ever cleaned up a place a little and thought "I can't believe how much of my life I wasted taking care of this" rather than "This was something that needed be done and I am okay with me giving up my time to do it for everyone else" then you might want to re approach how you view the game and what you want to achieve from playing it.

3) I just recently played with a view people together on voice chat while playing. It was amazing to have so much communication available especially over distances, but I realized that my output was sooo low. Too many distractions, too much talk and not enough elbow grease. When more people know the game, there will be less teaching needed. You don't need to know anything accept for where stuff is and what is needed. It doesn't matter what you want to do, its what needs to be done. Your responses should be acknowledgment or simple questions and then get it done. Simply saying NEE FRG or NEE FRM or NEE IRN followed with a question mark is enough to get going until you feel you need to articulate more. If you really crave more on top of them, send them here. Send them to the discord. Get them engaged into the community because come on, even with tons of exposure its not a game for everyone it will always be core enough to support that.

Also as to the other impression of hard to survive, heck yeah it is, but I believe that what Jason hopes is that we can advance enough that 95% of babies live to 60 in advanced civilizations that have roads that connect them together. It's possible just hard to do unless everyone is a collective, cogs turning the main machine.

Damn Amon.... Yeah you are right. I was way more optimistic, and was preaching the collective. I am not sure when that changed - perhaps when I knew the whole package. A big switching point was when I got off my ass and taught myself how to make an engine and well tech. Going back to the tutorial, breaking out and grabbing the extra iron (side note got to teach some people some things because the iron I was scavenging, they were in there, extremely confused to what or who the fuck I was) just to know the steps before I did it live. At one point I undoubtedly wondered - why am I in the minority for putting this work in while others sit back and eat food and don't contribute. This was most likely part of my downfall as the community grew and changed. Coming back from that is interesting, with many speed bumps. I know how hard it really is. That any moment of ease, with baskets of pies everywhere, that the false sense of security held onto just makes it harder for further generations - and it drove me mad.

I am not sure if there is a way to get around that. There really isn't a way to make it easy to "carry" without making it too easy overall. There is no bypass to that "rough edge" (sorry Jason couldn't resist) we just have to keep putting our best foot f orward. At least decreasing the permanence and infinite resources is nudging us that way, and only time will tell if the execution is proper. I put my pitchfork away long before I came back to these forums and this game - I hope others do the same.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-08-01 06:25:36)

#13 2019-08-01 06:23:35

BladeWoods

My first post was dumb. It's funny now. I started playing the game when butter knife rampaging was a thing, got mad, and made the forum account and post.

#14 2019-08-01 06:28:19

Psykout

BladeWoods wrote:

My first post was dumb. It's funny now. I started playing the game when butter knife rampaging was a thing, got mad, and made the forum account and post.

I think you should spend some time and ask yourself questions about what made you so mad during that time, what made you take breaks and made you continue to be there. Butter knife was a helluva time, but inbetween that there was a lot more. I think thats what this thread is about and I would love to hear more. You posted 300+ times after that, and felt compelled to reply to this, whats your story.

#15 2019-08-01 07:20:28

BladeWoods

Psykout wrote:
BladeWoods wrote:

I think you should spend some time and ask yourself questions about what made you so mad during that time, what made you take breaks and made you continue to be there. Butter knife was a helluva time, but inbetween that there was a lot more. I think thats what this thread is about and I would love to hear more. You posted 300+ times after that, and felt compelled to reply to this, whats your story.

If a game is dumb I'd think it's dumb, not spend much time, and go to another, but what got me mad is because I liked the game so much. Yet, at least in my eyes, there was a huge glaring issue preventing me from my desired experience. Butter knife massacres was indeed a problem, but I also angrily complained about why pvp is even a thing.

I find the game and constant development it gets much more interesting than any other game I know. I find the game fun too, but the interest keeps me here more than the fun. I don't play that regularly, but it was feeling like the forums and the community were almost dead before this rift update livened things up.

#16 2019-08-01 10:16:13

Morti

I've looked over a few of my earliest posts because of this thread.

Probably one of the proudest posts I've made was the one where I figured out how to color BBCode and wrote this:

THE TEMP METER DETERMINES HOW FAST YOUR FOOD METER RUNS OUT!

That was this post. Titled MA PLS FARM ON DESER T

I also read something down at the bottom of that post, that I said

Morti wrote:

I'm sure that in the future, as Jason works on more tech for us to create in game, that more 'modern' material, say, for clothes, will be a thing, or, furnaces to heat surrounding areas or air conditioning units, to cool them, all of this will be released in time.

But as Jason makes more and more excuses for why he isn't making new items every week, as he said he would in the trailer for the game I'm starting to understand more and more why people don't like him. He's a liar. He doesn't care for his own reputation as an honest man or a good person.

So many people who have had previous experiences with him, have warned me that he wasn't a good person, as I hung out on their channels on Twitch and tried to encourage them to stream OHOL. I was under the impression that he wasn't that well known. I thought a man that would put a mechanic in a game, like raising a child, had to be a good person.

I still want to believe he really is, but in the end, good men are not selfish, they are the people of history that you don't read about. They don't fuck people over for the sake of their family, they work hard, in fields and factories, for the sake of their families. They don't need to lie, because corn and iron, don't need to be lied to; they just need to be worked. Like Jason needs to be working those markers, playing with his scanner and adding more simple text files into the object folder of the game. That's it. That's all he had to do, and people would have, from this day forward, said good things about him, about his works, as a man.

That's all you had to do.

Just finish the story, Jason.

Don't depend on us for your reasons.

--

That's another thing I realized, looking at my old posts, many of the things I've asked for, have found their way into the game. Sure, not all of them, probably not most of them, when when good suggestions were made, and people supported those suggestions, and Jason was capable of making them happen, he did.

But people get tired of asking for things. I've gotten tired of asking for things.

I've played this game so much because I like giving things to people, I, like making things for people.
I, want to help people.
I enjoy helping people.

Even when I was homeless for months, I couldn't bring myself to beg for food or money. I nearly lost 50 pounds before a woman who let me stay in her place, eventually tracked down my mother and called her to come pick me up, like I was a sick dog, and my mother drove 500 miles as the woman convinced me it was in my best interest, to go home.

I don't want to keep asking for things in the hopes that they are given.
I don't want that role.

I thought Jason already had things planned out.

--

Then there was all the struggle, with all the people doing terrible things to each other in the game. People who didn't fully grasp what they were doing. People who didn't understand that the only thing that was persistent from life to life, were that there would be other players, other humans beings to experience this game with.
And so they thought of themselves, and they thought of the things in the game, that they had or didn't have, but they didn't think so much of the impact that they had, on the other players that joined in on the experience with them. And they found more and more excuses, to justify their selfishness, and more and more excuses, to condemn children born to them, at any time, to death.

Those aren't the kinds of stories people wanted to experience.

You're not supposed to die before your parents.

And good parents would surely give their lives for their children.

The outcome of those situations should have been that both players characters died, sure, but they would have both gained inspiration to try harder from that experience.

- The person playing the mother would have been encouraged to find better locations to raise her kids, to work harder when she was fortunate enough to find herself in a place where food was abundant, to maintain that abundancy.
- The person playing the child would have been encouraged by the mother's sacrifice, and they too would have been encouraged to take measures into their own hands, to ensure their family members didn't starve, by creating food, from soil, seed and water.

The lesson should not, have been that abandoning your kids is ever okay.

Then there were the baby suicides, which were the same thing, but in reverse. Players didn't understand the effect they were having on the community, by giving up on their family. And selfish people like Twisted, just kept rerolling for the sake of getting into the most productive family, so he could record a video for his own fame.

Those two aspects of this, ruined the greatest thing about this game.

The players doing them, have made the best part of the game, for the most people, worse.

In both cases, it was selfishness, that ruined what was otherwise a simulation of the most selfless behavior of life; the bearing, caring, and upbringing, of new life into the world.

--

I want to believe that all of you belong here. I do believe that. I think everyone of you, at your core, understands the value of life. However, this game's community; some of it's most outspoken members, do not have a firm enough grasp of that value, in order to carry on spreading it. We were not united in this mission, we were not strong enough, as a community, to counter those who thought of games as competitions. People who were not strong enough to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their children, and then came here on the forum, and, I assume, discord, and encouraged others to do the same, they eroded, the core concept, of this game.

--

I wish I felt these sorts of feelings, while reading other people's posts on this forum.
I want to assume that you are all good people, and that you all mean the best, for everyone.
But it pains me to try, to try to accept that that might not be true.

This is not about the game. This is about you, as human beings.
You don't have the courage to put down a gun placed in your hands.
You don't have the sense, to say no.
This game was made to teach you one lesson, above all others, and rather than learn it, you argued against it, as you drew weapons against each other.

You argue for terrible things to get worse.

It was bad enough that Jason lied from the beginning.
Now he's making you kill yourselves.

What's left of you is too weak to care for.
That's why Jason doesn't even care anymore.
He can barely care about himself.

Interesting.

#17 2019-08-01 15:31:39

FeignedSanity

My first post was talking about how the addition of the apocalypse was broken at the time, I did agree with the addition of the mechanic and found it to be refreshing. I saw a lot of people complaining about wiping the map, so I wanted to offer my contrasting opinion. This was very early on, before the eve spiral or even decay; so it was becoming impossible to find a place that didn't already have everything it could ever possibly need, leaving you with nothing meaningful to do.

I suppose some of the changes would be that I now know that if you want any changes made to the game, you'll probably only see it if you make your own modded server, so it's generally a waste to offer suggestions. Also that I enjoy this game much more sitting back and watching how things unfold, rather than being on the paper that's being unfolded, refolded, crumpled, ripped, and mended.

How I changed as a person? Other than general maturity that comes with age and experience, I guess I would have to say that I lost a majority of my faith in humanity from this game and the current state of affairs in general. I was naive about a lot of things, like how stupid people can be, myself included. Also that most people seem to try and straw man you at every opportunity you leave open, and many, many times even when you don't. So most of the effort spent in making sure you're as clear and concise as possible is wasted, which adds to the sense of nihilism and futility. Some people might see this as a bad change, but I would disagree. And while I'm not hopeful for humanity, I still remain hopeful for myself, and that's what really matters. On second thought, it's more that I've learned it's better to be pleasantly surprised, than disappointed.

On a more lighthearted note. ALL HAIL THE CACTUS GOD AND HIS BLESSING OF THE SACRED FRUIT BOOTS! big_smile

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-08-01 15:47:15)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#18 2019-08-01 15:54:35

BlueDiamondAvatar

My first response to a post was sharing what I'd learned about yellow fever and how to treat it, right after the Jungle update came out.  https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 125#p38125

The jungle update!  I loved that thing.  A whole new biome, tons of new trees and plants.  Learning how to deal with mosquitos.  That's the kind of update everyone loves.  New stuff to do new things with and find new ways to survive. 

These gameplay updates have been harder to deal with... but they are important in their own way.  But I had a lot more optimism about the game in the aftermath of the jungle update than i do now.  I've also learned a lot about me and people, and how easy it is to slide into violence and anger once you get exposed to it.  Why is it so much easier to get frustrated than it is to spread calm and appreciation or gift giving?

The first post I started was about San Cal, the long-lived city. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4822
This post was from before the San Cal sign, and I called it "Two bell berry patch". I write about a friend I made from exchanging stories about our prior lives at the same location. At the time I thought it was normal to be attached to a place in game, and didn't realize that very few people pay attention to the places we live in.

Jason's quest to make us more attached to our families has led to this stage where we are resetting the world every couple of days (at best).  No city like San Cal will be built in these conditions.  Old ruins just mean a half-hearted eve start these days, not hundreds of tiles of roads, a university filled with notes, or a car locked in a small room.

A newer player remarked to me last night.. "This is the best town I've ever been in."  I just about wanted to cry, it was so lame compared to some of the awesome creations I've seen from Tarr, Killian, pein, truz and psykout over the last year.  But a property fence sheep pen and a wandering cow seem great if you haven't seen anything better.  And that Eis town did have a diesel pump...just no oil anywhere.

I've also seen lots of friends come and go within the game.  I used to triplet all the time with Mich and Nepumuk.  I used to play with truz and Tarr.  I used to look for the latest forum message from Crazy Eddie.  I used to RP a lot more often and a lot more deeply.  My interest in OHOL has outlasted a lot of other people's.  And part of that is... I like change.  Not necessarily the specific changes that Jason makes on any given day or week, but the fact that the game is a living changing experimental thing is one of the things I like about it.  Even if I stop playing for a couple of weeks, I'll be back eventually to see how the gameplay has changed.

I like discovering the new meta for continuity - and you only get to do that if you play the game while Jason is still figuring things out.  You have to try out the "Hell Cell" while it's new and there's a griefer staking all the wild berry bushes to make them stop being renewable food sources.  Somedays I don't want to deal with the violent new thing or situation that people are using as an excuse to act badly, but it's nice that there are new things.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#19 2019-08-01 23:55:46

karltown_veteran

About white roses I think. It all went downhill from there

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer