One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-31 13:04:13

Morti

Two "hacks" that murders are using.

1. They are skating around. They are moving faster than people should be capable of running. Not crazy fast, but fast enough that they can collect items faster than anyone else and outrun people moving directly away from them. When they move faster, their character animations are slowed down, as if they'd just killed someone. It's not the quick animation of the character moving because your code is "sloppy as fuck" (not my words, but those of another programmer I showed the game to months ago, one that has over 30 years of programming experience, like you really care), this is pretty clearly something different.

2. They hide and use the scream as though they have been stabbed or shot to trick people chasing them with weapons into thinking they have killed them. I don't know if they also generate the blood when they do that, as I'm not using any tree-hole, or, shrunken tree mods.

Jason, get your shit sorted out.
And don't ask for the logs of my replay. You're smart enough to fix these things just knowing how they are possible.
Too bad you overlooked these things in your own code, genius.

Either you "overlooked" them, like you so conveniently "overlooked" so many other things over the last year and half just so people could find them and exploit them for their own pleasure, then you could rush in and be the hero for fixing them, for the sake of general public, of course, which I wouldn't put past you at this point.

OR

You're not nearly as smart as you think you are. You're probably not getting enough sleep because you're worried about losing the best thing you've created so far, that didn't involve getting your dick wet.

I think both of those are the case. I'm starting to side with just about everyone that says anything bad about you, and your programming skills.

Please get your shit sorted out. I don't want people going and making your life "interesting".
no doubt this is part of it.

I hope you can see what you are doing wrong, and not so much as a programmer, but as a person.
I know somewhere in you is a really good kid, and I'm sorry he's being replaced.

And this isn't some Ted Chiang shit. We are not two great minds at war with each other. I'm not out to take things away from you.
I'm just upset,
I'm upset the good of the world didn't hold onto you tighter.

Please figure these things out.

And I really wish you would stick to your words of 100 objects a week until you have, at least, 10,000, even if it means fruit boots and butter knives now and then.
I've read your excuses, I don't really care for them, it's the words you said before I, and so many others, bought the game and put all this time into it, that I recall.
I'm sure many others have felt the same, before they gave up.

#2 2019-07-31 14:35:21

JonySky
Website

Re: Two "hacks" that murders are using.

I have always believed that OHOL has 4 big problems with this ...

1.- Players with mods and vanilla players living in the same server
2.- If you want to have PVP in your game ... The game must have an engine that supports PVP
3.- With PVP you must have a good anticheats system
4.- have a suitable netcode to avoid jumps, desynchronization and Lag

Making a game with PVP is more difficult than it seems ... (Electronic Arts KNOWS)

#3 2019-07-31 17:29:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thank you for your friendly report about bugs in my game!

I don't need a recording, but at least a video showing someone running fast would be nice.  I've watched a lot of videos, and NEVER seen that, and never heard anyone mention it before in 15 months.  Twisted, you ever seen someone running consistently fast?

If your client is lagged, and getting messages late, you can sometimes see someone walk fast to "catch up" to where they actually are in reality.  This occasionally results in people absolutely zooming across your screen.

But there's not anything a rogue client can do to force this to happen.

The way this works is that the client sends a REQUEST to the server to move.  The server processes that request and makes its own judgement about the move.  How fast should it be?  How long should it take.  Is it a valid path?  Is the path going through a wall or not?

After that, the server sets the move (on its own, with no input from the client, other than where the client asked to move) and sends that server-selected move to all the other clients.

Thus, clients have no control over destination, move speed, etc. etc.

If you're chasing someone, they can often appear to move slightly slower or faster than you on your client.  That's because of network latency.  You get messages about where they are moving, and how much time is left in the move, a bit late, and their character moves at some adjusted speed to compensate... to catch up or slow down, to sync up with the server's true state.  Meanwhile, your own character moves at a fixed rate client-side (so that it always moves smoothly and consistently in response to your mouse clicks).

There might be a server-side bug that is being exploited, of course.

And there might be a way to "fake" a scream.  I'll look into that.  But again, some kind of demonstration would be helpful.

Thanks again, Mori!

#4 2019-07-31 18:48:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I respect you enough to tell you that this post on your part was completely out of line.

Not sure what gave you the idea that it was appropriate for you to be vicious toward me, discuss my genitals, etc.  I don't even know you.  You are a player of my game.  At one point in time, you talked about maybe meeting in person someday.  But given what I've seen here recently, I'd fearing for my physical safety if I ever met you in person.

I'm a guy making a game.  That is all.  The meteoric anger is....

#5 2019-07-31 19:58:07

Jojigirl

jasonrohrer wrote:

I respect you enough to tell you that this post on your part was completely out of line.

Not sure what gave you the idea that it was appropriate for you to be vicious toward me, discuss my genitals, etc.  I don't even know you.  You are a player of my game.  At one point in time, you talked about maybe meeting in person someday.  But given what I've seen here recently, I'd fearing for my physical safety if I ever met you in person.

I'm a guy making a game.  That is all.  The meteoric anger is....

Agreed.  It's one thing to complain about the game, but personal attacks are uncalled for and childish.

I read the post earlier today and just shook my head in disbelief.

I have not experienced any of these two things in my lives. I will be playing a bit tonight, so I will keep an eye out for them.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-07-31 19:59:52)

#6 2019-07-31 20:05:40

denriguez

Morti, this seems really out of character. In all sincerity, are you OK?

#7 2019-07-31 20:46:09

sigmen4020

denriguez wrote:

Morti, this seems really out of character. In all sincerity, are you OK?

Yea criticizing is all fine and good but what he wrote is taking it too far IMO. I personally thought that Morti was pretty reasonable in most of his posts. No idea what happened.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2019-08-01 02:00:26

ollj

wasd controls and basic action hotkeys sure let people move a lot more precise, to a point where this game becomes about having a faster ping.

archers/knifers hiding behind trees to shot a horserider can often have wome strange latency effects. it is borderline teleportation lag.

#9 2019-08-01 02:16:12

Jojigirl

I played a few lives just now, didn't see any of the two complaints happen..  I would play more but I got kicked out for an update, now just waiting for awbz update. 

The main problem I am seeing is Iron shortage. Other than that, people have seemed to calm down for the most part (at least tonight lol)  Finding iron has been a tough job everything has been looted.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-08-01 03:46:21)

#10 2019-08-01 03:39:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, may add more iron tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

#11 2019-08-01 04:00:46

Jojigirl

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, may add more iron tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

Awesome! That should help make things a little more balanced, and help keep the existing towns running without getting completely killed off and looted for all their iron and tools!

The update (rift) is growing on me, just needs a few tweaks to keep it from being a killing zone! big_smile

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-08-01 04:02:42)

#12 2019-08-01 07:46:29

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't need a recording, but at least a video showing someone running fast would be nice.  I've watched a lot of videos, and NEVER seen that, and never heard anyone mention it before in 15 months.  Twisted, you ever seen someone running consistently fast?

I figured it was just lag or me running inefficiently, but the person in this video ran away from me really easily. Maybe it's related to this issue? I was also unable to shift click on them for some reason (even if you don't click directly on them it's supposed to assign the closest person to your click, right?). Timestamp 40:51 - https://youtu.be/bW3iz3QVKEQ?t=2451

#13 2019-08-01 09:00:06

pein

very long ago was a bug when you left your game running, it was still recording
then the next life you ran at a speed of a horse, barefoot

you actually lagged at the end of it, so it was hard to control, generally it killed you
but once i managed to live to 32, i was doing everything faster and then i had to wait till the lag is gone, basically just you gained some speed then you lost the time gained

yeah i tried killing at that speed and i ran away fast, which for others resulted in a weird animation, they could never get me

that one was fixed logn ago but sounds similar to that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-08-01 09:38:44

JonySky
Website

A few weeks ago I tried to kill another player with the sword of war and the other player moved with small leaps
I also noticed that he was moving faster than me because while I ran behind him, he moved away from me
At that time I thought it was desynchronization ...

I mentioned this a long time ago:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=7005&p=2

#15 2019-08-01 11:52:19

Tizzy

Wow Morti, I’ve noticed a few of your posts sound genuinely bitter and horrible towards Jason lately. We’re his player base and while we’re allowed to disagree with things and have our own opinions, you’ve been going a bit far. It’s just a game, take a break and calm down.

#16 2019-08-01 19:38:16

ollj

i noticed players constantly moving 2x as fast away from me, without shoes.
i also noticed latency not loading the rubberwheel-cart that a player was pulling, and then it pops in like 1 second later.

i hope both are the same effect.

#17 2019-08-01 21:48:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Twisted, at least that clip looked normal to me.  Starting here:

https://youtu.be/bW3iz3QVKEQ?t=2456

See how you're running East, both of you, and she stays at the same spot on your screen?  You shouldn't be able to catch her (she got a head start) but she's not going faster than you (she remains at the right edge of your screen while you chase her).

Then she heads north, and goes off the top of your screen.  That's normal too. She was 5+ tiles ahead of you, and when she went north, that's off the top of your screen.  At that point, she was hard to track (you can't see her anymore).

#18 2019-08-02 00:57:16

Jojigirl

This one looks weird to me though!  Another bloody bow comes flying out from the girl twisted stabbed. The girl was already holding a bloody bow to begin with, how was she able to shoot twisted with it?

https://youtu.be/-rbGEHHJKVc?t=2187

Then if you watch by the fire after twisted runs up for pads, the griefer is standing there and the bow disappears.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-08-02 01:00:19)

#19 2019-08-02 01:05:34

karltown_veteran

Morti, this isn't like you. You're like the grandfather of this forum (I mean that in a good way), meaning that before this you have been gentle and kind to everyone. This post makes you sound like you're aggravated. What's up?

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#20 2019-08-02 06:20:32

Twisted

I agree that it looks normal, but that's the closest I ever felt to someone being faster than me so I figured it might be worth sharing?

Jojigirl wrote:

This one looks weird to me though!  Another bloody bow comes flying out from the girl twisted stabbed. The girl was already holding a bloody bow to begin with, how was she able to shoot twisted with it?

https://youtu.be/-rbGEHHJKVc?t=2187

Then if you watch by the fire after twisted runs up for pads, the griefer is standing there and the bow disappears.

I was shot by Eve Gaylord on the right side of the screen, but yeah I definitely agree that there's something weird happening. Eve Jack gets stabbed by me, she drops the bow and also keeps holding it, but mousing over her doesn't display the wound. She runs around at normal speed, and a few seconds later the wound appears and she slows down. Meanwhile Eve Gaylord runs slowly but appears to be carrying a bow and arrow still. In the end Eve Jack dies, I die, and someone (probably Eve Gaylord) gets stabbed/shot as well, so the end results seems to be correct - my guess is that the animations glitched out on my end.

#21 2019-08-02 23:24:55

ollj

if you shot/knife someone and are likely starving or getting cursed/killed for that action, it often makes sense to run into a hostile animal (while holding a bloddy weapon) as soon as possible.
this instantls causes you to drop your bloddy weapon (and die (a bit sooner), which you may prefer).
it makes sense to do this if you want to run away faster (to hide all you are carrying or to hide your identity).

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-02 23:25:48)

Board footer