One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-28 19:51:12

sigmen4020

Meta discussion: Kerosene pump

With the new resource limitations could the Newcomen kerosene pump be the way to go? I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. Outside of getting oil the only ingredients a kerosene pump requires are 1 steel, 1 rope and a charcoal Newcomen pump. This is really cheap compared to the diesel pump which requires 19 steel (if memory serves me right).

Realistically speaking in a 800x800 area you would probably only have the resources to make 1 diesel pump total, 2 if you’re lucky. Compared to that you could instead keep switching the the kerosene pump when it breaks from spring to spring for a low iron cost.

Sure if you rely on kerosene water pumps instead of a diesel well you get less water for your kerosene. Math for one can of kerosene for both wells (you ALWAYS put back the last bucket into the Newcomen well so I’ll count kerosene pump for 4 instead of 5):

Diesel:
7x6=42 buckets of water

Kerosene pump:
4x6=24 buckets of water

This obviously means that the Diesel engine is much better in terms of kerosene efficiency. I’ll now compare the iron efficiency for each bucket of water you get. I’ll leave out oil and cans out of the equation since it’s required for both wells:

Diesel: 42/19=2,2 water buckets/iron for one kerosene can

Kerosene pump: 24/1=24 water buckets/iron for one kerosene can

I know that the charcoal pump would be the most iron efficient, but I’ve left it out due to its terrible kindling efficiency. I personally think that you get the best of both worlds with the kerosene pump.

I’ve not played since the arc update so I might be completely wrong about this. If so feel free to tell me how much I’m wrong.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-28 19:52:32)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2019-07-28 19:58:15

sigmen4020

Re: Meta discussion: Kerosene pump

Of course in the long run a Diesel engine can potentially be more iron efficient given enough kerosene cans. But you’ll have to get a lot of cans to match the kerosene pumps iron efficiency.

Edit: I just checked it mathematically and have come to the conclusion that the diesel pump will never reach the kerosene pumps iron efficiency.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-28 20:07:19)

#3 2019-07-29 22:52:14

sigmen4020

Okay seems like what I posted here was just straight ignored. So much for bringing interesting ideas in front of a community only interested in ranting all day every day.

Though from what I’ve gathered the new strategy to this update seems to be to escape the rift as soon as possible making the resource limit irrelevant. So I guess I got an answer from that.

#4 2019-07-29 23:08:54

pein

people are lazy to make cisterns
and to use a wick burner, you need like 3 cisters or sitton of buckets or both

people don't do oil, they do engine

and like not much point to do a wick burner but no engine parts at all but if i see cisterns and oil made i keep i mind

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-07-30 03:07:52

BladeWoods

I read your post but I don't know what you're getting at. Iron efficiency of the different stages of the water pump isn't a big concern, it's only a one-time cost, and with the stages exhausting and water being a necessity you don't have much choice in choosing which stage to use. There's more iron than you suggest in the rift box and if you get to the point of diesel pumps than you are at or near planes and can get more iron outside the box.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-07-30 03:10:43)

#6 2019-07-30 08:39:03

Twisted

The problem with the Kerosene Pump is that it still has the 5% chance to exhaust, same as the regular Newcomen pump, so you're going to need a Diesel Pump sooner or later either way.

#7 2019-07-30 09:08:06

sigmen4020

Twisted wrote:

The problem with the Kerosene Pump is that it still has the 5% chance to exhaust, same as the regular Newcomen pump, so you're going to need a Diesel Pump sooner or later either way.

I did mention that problem earlier. All you have to do is move the pump to a new spring site. That doesn’t cost extra iron.

#8 2019-07-30 09:10:58

sigmen4020

BladeWoods wrote:

I read your post but I don't know what you're getting at. Iron efficiency of the different stages of the water pump isn't a big concern, it's only a one-time cost, and with the stages exhausting and water being a necessity you don't have much choice in choosing which stage to use. There's more iron than you suggest in the rift box and if you get to the point of diesel pumps than you are at or near planes and can get more iron outside the box.

Well yeah if you can get iron outside of the prison that does negate my entire argument. I believe I did mention that in the comment I used to bump this thread.

#9 2019-07-30 09:17:59

Twisted

sigmen4020 wrote:
Twisted wrote:

I did mention that problem earlier. All you have to do is move the pump to a new spring site. That doesn’t cost extra iron.

My bad, I completely missed that part. I do agree that with moving it's more efficient iron-wise, but it's a very awkward thing to do and I can't see most people moving the well around every time it exhausts. Seems like a clever thing to do once you get the chance, but unlikely to ever become the meta.

Board footer