One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-24 19:47:52

Delanium

Is there a better way to communicate which carrots are for seeds?

I just played two games where I watched a society fall apart because people picked all the carrots and we had no more seeds.  I farm, and try to guard the carrots for seeding with my life.  I occasionally manage to tell off kids for not taking carrots out of baskets, but people just keep picking carrots from the ground!

Is there anything that I can do control this that I haven't thought of?  Is there a recognized signal for this I don't know?  I never thought my biggest frustration with this game would be people picking carrots.

#2 2018-03-24 19:52:55

Atticus

Re: Is there a better way to communicate which carrots are for seeds?

Not exactly what you ask for but I'd recommend having a secret farm for seeds in a separate spot.

Last edited by Atticus (2018-03-24 19:53:38)

#3 2018-03-24 19:58:50

Delanium

That's actually a great idea, thank you.

#4 2018-03-24 19:58:50

masamune0

What I do is that either I spam "this top right is seeds for example" everywhere in the camp to everyone, and anyone coming nearby the farm.

But I think that something important (if you are not full of food carts) is to have backup seeds, at least baskets or a cart or two or more depending on the size farm, so that even if someone ruins the seeds for one rotation, you can survive through it.

Then i guess the best would be to have a fenced seeds tiles nearby the farm...

In any cases, you have to be prepared for at least once that someone ruins the seeds. That's expected. And when you see it happen, tell the guy what he did wrong so it doesn't happen again with him.

#5 2018-03-24 20:04:29

Delanium

My problem was with people ignoring the rules for more than one crop rotation.  But I like the fence idea.

#6 2018-03-24 20:17:38

Joriom
Website

If you're just starting - just spam "let one full row grow for seeds". You can hit up arrow with chat open to basically spam that.
The "at least one" rule is simple. You see one row - dont touch. You see more than one? Pick some, leave the last FULL row.

After your farm grows - placing seeds in different place than farm is VERY important. Farm takes more then one screen then and you can't easily talk to everyone around. We're tried everything already - adobe walls, fences, wooden floors, boxes... What seems to work best is to build a small adobe room with space for 3-5 rows of carrots, few boxes (backup seeds, fertile soil deposit) and well or two inside. We tend to build only 3 walls out of adobe and the 4th one (North or South) from fences. Also - the placement is important. Don't go all lazy and build it in front of the farm or i the direction of water. People walking around this place are more likely to screw something up. Place if on the far side of the farm where not many people venture out for food. This way mostly only farmers will ever notice that and try to pick it up - knowig its use.

#7 2018-03-24 22:39:21

Aiven

"Eat from basket." They can learn why later.

#8 2018-03-25 04:29:21

Auner

No it's seriously annoying when you're like "we need seeds, please dont harvest them"  "omg stop"  "omg you doomed us all"

Can see why people murder in this game

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#9 2018-03-25 06:08:01

fragilityh14

you know what drives me crazy? there's always some person who is unsuccessful guarding the seeds and doing little else, hoping they grow in time to plant and not starve etc, and then i am the one who runs and harvests wild carrot seeds and saves the colony while the person guarding the seeds does nothing.

Why is no one ever assigned to go gather wild seeds when this problem comes up? It's the really obvious stop-gap solution.

And it really is incredible how fast colonies collapse in this game if anyone neglects farming. i've had so many times i end up running around living on berries for a bit and come back to a dead colony. One time, i was frantically gathering water the whole time  and no matter what i did there was a food shortage yet like 5 people standing around by the crops, and like they would grab the water I brought as soon as i got there instead of just letting me deal with it and go for more, but do nothing else. I ultimately left for a bit because I was really annoyed and got back and they collapsed. i was like running away with babies and standing by berries hoping to bring the colony back. Which once they died i left it in perfectly good condition. because the set up was like fine there was just a bunch of people not contributing anything.

Also I can't help but wonder if I've been in this exact situation with the OP lol

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-03-25 06:08:58)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#10 2018-03-25 08:50:20

Joriom
Website

fragilityh14 wrote:

And it really is incredible how fast colonies collapse in this game if anyone neglects farming.

This even happens for villages in which every member is on Discord Voice Chat. We almost starved to death yesterday on server 11 while starting new civilization in brand new place. When everyone tries to progress asap - sometimes people will neglect the basics. We almost made all steel tools already, started production of handcarts, had almost 50 milkweed plants planted, planted some berry bushes as well... and then we noticed we're on our last 4 carrots for 6 people and nobody watered next batch. Thankfully we had few cooked rabbits for times like that and a lot of wild berry bushes so we managed without deaths. But now imagine situation like that when people don't really know what rest of the village is doing because its to far to see.

#11 2018-03-25 16:36:53

fragilityh14

lol wow!

what's frustrating about it is that if you have a farmer, rabbit catcher, and piemaker you can create an insane surplus of food in no time...and then everyone forgets to make food.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#12 2018-03-25 17:21:01

masamune0

Or then the farmer dies of old age and the whole storage you worked on die too at a high speed because no one else is farming.

That's one thing I love when I do the nurse, I tell kids what to do and usually it goes well. For example you will farm.. will hunt..and so on. And you can check where it is needed by seeing what is needed in the camp. Sometimes they won't listen but that's fine, you can see they are not doing what you said and just have the next kid do it. Hoping this time he will listen;

#13 2018-03-25 18:38:51

Goliath

My problems is that a bunch of genius farmers are complete dimwits and put all the carts in a cart when its laggy.

Stop consolidating everything in one stop till lag and invisible people are fixed.

Stop putting every single carrot in a basket then in a cart, if you don't want people plucking the carrots themselves genius.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#14 2018-03-25 20:29:42

AzureEngel

I've been playin since the seventh day the game came out and I had a lot of fun the first two weeks. It was a blast following people who had played since the first day. Being taught how to farm, and then when the farming changed being part of the adaptations. I still remember my Uncle who taught me how to make compost. Whenever I have a kid who doesn't know composting, I do my best to teach the way my Uncle taught me.

But, it's just not fun anymore.

The last three days has been nothing but grief and struggling to keep the farms going. I get born into a decent little village, I see that there isn't anyone. Anyone, dedicated to the farm. So I run in and start doing what my Wolf Mother and Farmer Uncle taught me. I separate the plots so it's manageable bites. I repeat to every child I see "Eat only baskets", and "Don't pick the top, leave for seeds". I explain how seeds are made.

But every single life now. Every life. There is a handful of people who will run past four full baskets in their way. To my top plots. and eat /one carrot/ from each plot. I yell at them over and over. I chase them and repeat why to not.

they regard me. They say K.

then I see them only a few years later, taking carrots from the top plot. Standing next to full baskets and they take my seedling carrots.
I try surrounding my plots in bones to show which are for seeds, but the bone fence is ignored.

I'm just, not having fun anymore. It's not fun to watch everything you work for turn to naught.

I'll peek back in after a few days, see if anyone has a solution.

I'm not tech savvy. I'm not good with coding. I don't know how to find another server but the one I'm plopped into. I don't know what else to do. I'm just, sad. It's not fun anymore.

#15 2018-03-25 22:31:57

masamune0

Yeah if you want less chance to have griefers, play on low populated official servers, or even on the privates ones.

But be aware that it become way too easy when you join these servers because over there, everyone knows what they are doing, there is no threat at all (you will bathe in food and clothes and everything... and there is no griefer so no slightest worry about thief or anything...) and so on. And they know what they are doing because the content has been the same for a "long" time so nothing new to learn, lot of people already know everything they need...and so on

#16 2018-03-25 22:51:27

Xuhybrid

Separate the plot for seeds into another area nearby.

#17 2018-03-25 22:54:44

Auner

Goliath wrote:

My problems is that a bunch of genius farmers are complete dimwits and put all the carts in a cart when its laggy.

Stop consolidating everything in one stop till lag and invisible people are fixed.

Stop putting every single carrot in a basket then in a cart, if you don't want people plucking the carrots themselves genius.

omg so it's just sheer newbieness.. obv you don't know how fricken cluttered this game design is right now. Just pay attention to your hunger bar.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

Board footer