One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-19 15:42:37

Karrots

Snitches Get Stitches, Pacifism is Impossible

So maybe its because of my upbringing, but I don't like dragging authority figures into my problems. But that's just me. The reason I brought this up was because I was thinking about our beloved curse system. Still useless in many regards, built almost as if frustration was intentional. 

In any life if you see someone misbehaving, you would curse them. But.. cursing them doesn't do much. The curse system doesn't believe just you. When Mr.ToxicWannabe goes making too many knives, all you would have to do with a working curse system is report to the "teacher" who would then take care of the problem, allowing you to be a pacifist. Mr.ToxicWannabe would be condemned to donkeytown

This doesn't work.

Nobody gets to be a Gandhi in OHOL because the curse system is flawed. Very, very flawed. You can't just kick the griefer to donkeytown because that would be abused easily. So the griefer needs multiple curses. Okay, easy fix, right? I run into town and screech about this somebody and get people to curse them. Except nobody listens to you because there's no proof. You could be lying, and they're too busy working to care.

And even if everybody listened to you, there's a possibility you *couldn't* curse them. If this person just happens to have the name "Tikki Tikki Tembo-no Sa Rembo-chari Bari Ruchi-pip Peri Pembo"  or something foreign and ridiculous that you couldn't say. Or one of the beautiful Bob or Mysons of this world. Forgot the roman numeral? Ooopsies. And even if everyone cursed them, if everyone continues to play pacifist the griefer has a lovely hour to spread chaos.

Like cops who watch as the crime happen and only afterwards arrest the culprit. Not for a life sentence, either. And should someone fight back against the culprit, they may or may not arrest them as well. Such a police force would cause more problems then they prevent. This, is our curse system.

The only way to win is to fight. You have to fight the griefer. And you'll either get killed or they will. And if you killed them, you might even get cursed. At this point, it might be better to have no curse system than a broken one that punishes you for defending yourself. I'd rather be free to kill the griefer than to go through the chain of what-ifs to curse and stop them, risking my own curse score and life. Combine this with the fighting mechanics everyone just adores and honestly when I see a griefer I pack my bags and head for an outpost/new town.

#2 2019-07-19 15:45:19

Joseph Stalin

Re: Snitches Get Stitches, Pacifism is Impossible

yes we need a new redesigned system

#3 2019-07-19 15:52:34

Saolin

The safest way to deal with griefers is just let them grief, unfortunately.

#4 2019-07-19 16:05:15

AmberA

I've found the best way to curse griefers is to play the long game. Don't curse him right away, if you do they will retaliate. So you need to wait. People who grief tend to do it their whole lives and they will do something else dumb. Warn others, if you have children and your direct family to "be wary of NAME" That way when the idiot does something again the community is more likely to act because they have proof AND that person has a bad reputation.

However I agree the system isn't perfect and could be improved.  My idea is that YOUR personal history of being cursed should weight more heavily when you curse others. Be more of a point system. For example:

Joe has never been cursed and played 10 hours of the game so when he curses someone it is worth 10 points.

Sally is a regular griefer and gets an average of 2 curses per full life so when she curses its only worth 1 point.

Jack doesn't grief but is a town defender so when someone is killed, he's likely to step in. Because of this he has been cursed  few times but not often, when he curses someone it is worth 5 points.

Maybe someone needs 20 points total to get into donkey town. Overall a system that is more weighted so that people who tend to have good behavior, their curses are worth more than people who grief.

#5 2019-07-19 18:41:27

ollj

I just made a choice, to not curse anyone anymore, except if i happen to find a player make a nosai, or a player who acts like a pro-apocalypse eve-player.

the curse system more likely hits innocent people and harms newbies more than experienced players.
anyone saying "be wary of name" or "name did a thing i dislike" or "ugly" is just begging to get stabbed outside of base, but no need to curse someone just for inciting violence/paranoya.
the curse system just amplifies drama, as long as you curse within visibility range of any family member, you likely just get a curse or two back, so why bother wasting any time with that shit.
the curse system is a joke. when i lure the bears, people fail to curse me enough to send me to donkey town for days of playing with bear luring. they are too busy typing other fun stuff in bases full of bears, or even curse the wrong player.
the curse system is a total joke, as its more a relief from not getting babies as eve. and i enjoy the out of game meta more anyways.
in actual donkey town, you should always spawn close to other donkey toen citizen, so its a donkey royale, where the challenge is to hide and survive for 10 minutes at a time.

anyone may curse anyone else for any "reason", and its most likely just a silly counter-curse, so why other cursing in the face of someone else.

its tricky to distinguish a newbie from a troll griefer, so why bother the detective work in such a shortt game session.
- if i see any murder i say "free cloth"
- if i see a thief and noone cares (as always) i bring in the bears, but cursing slave families just is not worth a damn.
countless greedy and murdering fuckers never eng up in donkey town for all the damage and sheepfucking they do, and this is just the game, let em have it, its but a game.
cursing other players just interrupts my gameplay with angry typing "curse ...", and thats just not worth my time. and it may just be a misunderstanding by me of the situation.

The main issue is, that theres a lifetime ranking of total curses, and this includes any naive noob or any griefer that curses you back.
so yeah, curse me, and i give you a curse in return, have fun with that, while i am more likely closer to the 5 hour cap than you, and you likely care much more about that than me.
just by playing this game often you rather quickly get the 5 hour benching cap, and im not sure what hours i am now, second time in town.
And as soon as you get closer to the benching cap, you just could not care less to:
- raise children ever
- be near large populations ever
- not care at all about all the crap other people do, as its just a game.

your play style changes, you just abandon your family as soon as possible, take with you whatever you want, never to return, never to raise more than 2 children, and maybe repopulate a ruin or two, and assist a foreing area by building roads, or hunting wildlife for foreigners.

and in the end, as soon as you get 5-hour-capped, you are in a "nothing to loose" setup, where many people may aswell start stacking endtowers in defiance.

in my absence, all bell towns decayed to ruins.
in my presence, all bell towns flourished, got countless carts and horsecarts and roads added to them, butr hey, keep claiming that i am a griefer.
i could not care less, its an mmo, any more skilled player is causing a less skilled player grief.

the bigger issue (than any grif in an mmo) with ohol is, that any defensive action has null viability in a "first attacker always instakills" game mechanic.

"curse jason roher"

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 18:57:45)

#6 2019-07-19 18:55:13

Jk Howling

Karrots wrote:

Forgot the roman numeral? Ooopsies.

I agree that the curse system is very flawed, but just a note, roman mumerals were pulled from the game over a month ago. There is no duplicate names now. If someone has had the name Bob Jackson within the last two hours, trying to name your own kid Bob Jackson won't work. It'll automatically cycle to the next name in the list- so he might become Bobby Jackson instead.

There's still confusion sometimes as there's plenty of names that are the same, just spelled differently. For example, Lily and Lillie, or John and Jon, or Olivia and Alivia. But no more roman numerals at least, so you don't accidentally curse Bob when you're trying to curse Bob II.

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2019-07-19 19:00:38

ollj

the mobile port curse sytem is better, if only by its ui, and removal of age-text-limits. its 2 klicks, no need to type anything to curse, age is irrelevant.  you can even curse nameless corpses?
if you klick a person, its name shows, and a curse-button may be an option. pretty sure you can even curse nameless people.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 19:02:12)

#8 2019-07-20 02:43:42

Bob 101

Yeah, Alot of the time it's the good guys being cursed.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-20 02:44:47)

#9 2019-07-20 02:51:35

Tarr
Banned

ollj wrote:

the mobile port curse sytem is better, if only by its ui, and removal of age-text-limits. its 2 klicks, no need to type anything to curse, age is irrelevant.  you can even curse nameless corpses?
if you klick a person, its name shows, and a curse-button may be an option. pretty sure you can even curse nameless people.

Yes, You are Hope has a functioning curse system because mobile is focused more on being a working game vs OHOL aiming to be more artsy fartsy. Curse system isn't something Jason cares much for in the first place and giving the players a better working system is less likely than him removing it all together.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-07-20 03:47:22

Saolin

Tarr wrote:
ollj wrote:

Yes, You are Hope has a functioning curse system because mobile is focused more on being a working game vs OHOL aiming to be more artsy fartsy. Curse system isn't something Jason cares much for in the first place and giving the players a better working system is less likely than him removing it all together.

Is it possible to play the mobile version on a pc?  Mobile version of this game sounds excruciatingly painful.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-07-20 03:48:16)

#11 2019-07-20 03:51:07

Tarr
Banned

Saolin wrote:
Tarr wrote:
ollj wrote:

Is it possible to play the mobile version on a pc?  Mobile version of this game sounds excruciatingly painful.

Unfortunately I don't think so as of last I heard.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-07-20 03:55:24

Dantox

Tarr wrote:
Saolin wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think so as of last I heard.

Makes me wonder what would happen if an official port to pc were to came out...

make bread, no war

#13 2019-07-20 03:56:19

ollj

many mobile gaming emulators exist. i never tried any of them.
the mobile verion of ohol is different, not just because its a fork with many missing gameplay elements, mostly due to less typing andd only 8-25 players at all times, and on a server without killing (except by bears or entrapment) and reduced hunger rate easily lets you survive mosquitos by just not moving anywhere.
this is not counting temporarily hosted asian servers, which have 300ith recurring internet cafe users in them. but they aare on and off, only on for like 5ish hours and im not sure if its even daily.
the main issue is, if theres only one server with 10 people, it just takes 1-3 griefers to reset any progress, so that happens a lor more on mobile versions. and berry munching tiill all water depletes is just the default way to play, because its casual gaming.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-20 04:00:57)

#14 2019-07-21 11:12:48

breezeknight

OHOL needs LAW

but oops ... suggestions are not allowed & not welcome lol

- - -

#15 2019-07-21 12:33:52

wondible

breezeknight wrote:

OHOL needs LAW

but oops ... suggestions are not allowed & not welcome lol

- - -

This isn't really a suggestion for Jason though. He'd probably say he wants players to come up with laws. My opinion is that lives are too short and towns too small for these systems to emerge. Plus no one is really part of culture that observes the laws, everyone comes in with their own experience and intentions, with probably 3 minutes of non-interactive parenting.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#16 2019-07-21 23:30:26

Karrots

Saolin wrote:
Tarr wrote:
ollj wrote:

I played it on a chromebook with bluetooth mouse and, despite being uncomfortable at first worked out pretty much the same as the PC version. So that's an option I guess.

Board footer