One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-18 00:53:43

Cookie

Your OHOL pet peeves

Sorry if there has been a similar thread before, just wanted to see what others find particularly annoying in the game. Not talking about griefing or content you dislike (for example warswords), but about things and behaviours that aren't a big deal really but for some reason irritate you inexplicably.

Two of mine are when 1) people wear mismatched shoes or only one shoe and 2) wearing any sort of rag clothing (any rag item in garbage to my eyes).

#2 2019-07-18 01:46:47

Lotus

Re: Your OHOL pet peeves

giving newborn babies bags with knives or crowns

#3 2019-07-18 02:10:47

Dantox

When people get crowns and act like they own the village

make bread, no war

#4 2019-07-18 02:45:20

FulmenTheFinn

Berry farms that are not 3x3 with the well in the centre.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#5 2019-07-18 02:48:36

YannaChan
Banned

When people confuse me when I give them a rose and they just say "Aww thanks" Or something like that and I have a crush on them but I have no idea if they like me or not.

#6 2019-07-18 04:17:53

pein

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Berry farms that are not 3x3 with the well in the centre.

that makes no sense

distance to water is important but not that important
on great scheme of things you get out of the spring 40 water, using bowls, the rest will be using buckets
where is no advantage of being next to it
also the fact that springs are on a grid, makes it ideal pathway between parts of map, a road between wells breaks at the well, a road next to a spring can continuously go on and have sprigns next to it

call it optimization, call it feng sui, but a road next to a well is much better long term

even Morti, who invented the 3x3 does that way, actually we met and he complained about it, im not really doing too many "default" shape stuff, it just was a small cam pwhich wasn't likely to live long, i thought about the idea but i rarely do farming when my time can be more useful on iron and sheep
but makes sense, leave a road path next to two sides of a spring then plant whatever
it's still close and more useful later

the other thing people don't really do is cisterns in strategic locations, if you got like 10 natural soil pits, that's enough for a while, but cartign back makes no sense, rather make a cistern, fill it and leave a bucket near it, that can produce tons of ropes if not other stuff
actually i made a lot of those when jungle was perfect temperature

and btw i was the first who dug out bushes and enforced the roads near them, and fixed tons of them until it became meta, like half year before people started to think about the same thing

i guess im mostly annoyed that people cant even fix bushes, or pick out an item from a basket but they know how to use weapons and to kill others
the lot of aimless killign going on and the trolls who run around with horses and kill people for the sake of killing, and the game is ruined already

the other is tossing packs and weapons on babies, while the adolescent workers are butt naked, even that newbees follow you around and ask stupid questions like why you make a knfie when clearly you are the only decent player at the camp
and cursing RP-ers who don't care about griefers but send you to donkey town for swapping a clothing or picking up a pack faster than they
and all the RP leaders, Rp doctors and Rp smiths who got no skill but act smart all the time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-07-18 05:00:03

ollj

true, i build roads that toch springs but got past springs. maybe keep the right side clear, but guess what, not many springs make it to newvomen.
having a well far off without road just begs someone to waste everyones time with a property fenche around a well.

buttlock stacking is just extra work to be undone
same for most stackables.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-18 06:11:30)

#8 2019-07-18 08:04:34

Morti

People who cut down branched trees, and then cut the firewood up into kindling.

People who burn butt logs.

When there isn't a workflow considered to the arrangement of the areas that compose a town.

Something like this
FxqktR3.png

But the wheat farm could be closer to the bakery to make it evident to the bakers when wheat if available.
And clothing could be closer to the nursery, for moving clothes.

#9 2019-07-18 08:06:37

Morti

Morti wrote:

would be an example of a good workflow setup.

#10 2019-07-18 08:27:11

AmberA

When women don't work and just sit on the fire sucking up food. It is rare that a town NEEDS babies so much to require that. The vast majority of the time the town would be best served by those women working and only stopping once they actually give birth.

When people plant a ton of beans and they end up laying everywhere.

When babies run rather than /die. It bothers me so much that a young baby can outmaneuver me as a full grown adult, they should be much slower. When I run after them I only do so to try and teach them about /die.

#11 2019-07-18 08:50:47

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It drives me absolutely crazy when people leave eggs and pork near the kitchen. What am I suppose to do with these here?

Also YOU DON'T MAKE TONGS OUT OF 2 SKEWERS. Dear God STOP. Every town has 5 knitting needles.

WHY ARE YOU RAISING YOUR KIDS IN THE KITCHEN/SMITH? Go stand by the fire you fucking mongoloids.

Please for the love of GOD STOP TAKING THE SMITH FLAT ROCKS FOR GRAVES/PATHS. We need those you idiots.

If you're the LAST GIRL DO. NOT. BE. THE. HUNTER. You're going to feel real stupid when your entire family dies because you tried to get rabbits at age 5 and starved.

Please stop taking the bore blade to make a knife. I need that to get oil for you berry munchers.

HOW HARD IS IT TO KEEP THE FIRE GOING? YOUR USELESS ASSES ARE ALL STANDING NEXT TO IT ANYWAYS

SPEAKING OF WHICH. STOP PUTTING THE FLAT ROCK ON THE *MAIN* FIRE. MAKE YOUR OWN YOU LAZY ASS

WHO THE FUCK KEEPS TAKING MY ROCK?????????

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#12 2019-07-18 09:20:32

MultiLife

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It drives me absolutely crazy when people leave eggs and pork near the kitchen. What am I suppose to do with these here?

Also YOU DON'T MAKE TONGS OUT OF 2 SKEWERS. Dear God STOP. Every town has 5 knitting needles.

WHY ARE YOU RAISING YOUR KIDS IN THE KITCHEN/SMITH? Go stand by the fire you fucking mongoloids.

Please for the love of GOD STOP TAKING THE SMITH FLAT ROCKS FOR GRAVES/PATHS. We need those you idiots.

If you're the LAST GIRL DO. NOT. BE. THE. HUNTER. You're going to feel real stupid when your entire family dies because you tried to get rabbits at age 5 and starved.

Please stop taking the bore blade to make a knife. I need that to get oil for you berry munchers.

HOW HARD IS IT TO KEEP THE FIRE GOING? YOUR USELESS ASSES ARE ALL STANDING NEXT TO IT ANYWAYS

SPEAKING OF WHICH. STOP PUTTING THE FLAT ROCK ON THE *MAIN* FIRE. MAKE YOUR OWN YOU LAZY ASS

WHO THE FUCK KEEPS TAKING MY ROCK?????????

These ones are pretty much mine, too.

These, and when a newbie doesn’t ask about things but just does stuff and takes stuff. And when people don’t return items they took, or don’t go and retrieve the stuff.

When people cover kiln although I was going to dry pottery.

Claustrophobic spaces and towns, they make me want to live in the oil rigs, where I often raise my kids nowadays.

People who prioritize wrong stuff, like making a tiny building when the town is in a water crisis, needing buckets/milkweed/iron etc.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2019-07-18 10:20:42

schmloo

-People who make themselves a full set of rabbit fur clothing (greedy bastards). Even worse in early camps.
-People who call others “n00bs” for trying to learn.
-People who refuse to help out new players.
-Tiny sheep pens.
-People who look for any excuse to stab in the name of “roleplay”.
-People who ignore the fire when it runs low.
-People who take your stuff when you weren’t given clothes as a kid and take supplies into the prairie to make loincloth and a backpack.
-People who stuff three or four pies into their backpack

Oh and it should go without saying, but people who raid towns just because they enjoy exploiting swords.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-07-18 23:16:50)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#14 2019-07-18 12:17:54

arkajalka

AmberA wrote:

When women don't work and just sit on the fire sucking up food. It is rare that a town NEEDS babies so much to require that. The vast majority of the time the town would be best served by those women working and only stopping once they actually give birth.

When babies run rather than /die. It bothers me so much that a young baby can outmaneuver me as a full grown adult, they should be much slower. When I run after them I only do so to try and teach them about /die.

I used to run from parents as a boy before genes. I didnt use /die cause i wanted to be born to that town as a girl to ensure continuity. Think you forced me few times to /die and your village lost a high yum hardworking birthmachine.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#15 2019-07-18 14:48:51

sigmen4020

AmberA wrote:

I used to stab the bastards when they got out of town, so they could get slapped with the lineage ban they rightfully deserved. Before the “limited life” update it was so easy to grief a family’s baby pool by constantly being born and then run.

Now I don’t bother stabbing them since the limited lives made this kind of behavior punishable in its own. So if they wanna run now it’s mostly their problem. The damage they can do nowadays is minimal compared to before.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2019-07-18 14:53:24

sigmen4020

And a big problem I have is people moving poop out of the sheep pen without putting it on a compost pile. You are not helping, you are actively wasting iron by using two charges for nothing. I’d much rather feed a new sheep to get poop rather than use the poop outside the pen that has already taken up two shovel charges.

If you don’t want to make then just don’t touch the poop.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-18 14:58:08)

#17 2019-07-18 15:31:32

pein

property fence pens

once i met tarr and made a tiny pen and before we got to the 20  min mark we made a 5x5 bell base pen
now that prop fences last 2 hours instead of one, isn't viable to make a pen and surround it
but huge fence pens are shit, either no one fixes it or the city dies out and no one stays to fix the city

you got 2 hours to make a new pen, you got 30 min to plant a tree and water it, then again before you get old
fences or stone or adobe, whatever, if you got to fix broken fences, then start making proper walls, that's already 2-3 hours into the camp, and when you fix second time, is 4-5 hours into, you could even grow a new sheep pen

property fence pens shouldn't be huge, no point, is ugly, it wont last, people say "oh we already got a pen"
no it's not a proper pen, if you want a city to last then make a new well next to a spring and a new pen next to that

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2019-07-18 17:50:49

Morti

Made that picture as I was falling asleep at the PC. Looked like garbage.
Here is something a little cleaner.

I generally expect workflow to be based on the biomes that surround the grasslands that we so often start in.
While early farms are generally located closer to ponds, if the springs are farther away, in the grassland, generally that whole area from the ponds to the spring, becomes farmland.
The location of the nearest prairie generally dictates where rabbits will be dropped off and should help give an indication of where to place sheep pen and bakery. The pen is the source of mutton, dung for compost as well as thread used sewing furs and injuries.
The closer the pen is to the bakery, the easier it is for bakers and herders (feeders and slaughterers) to see each other's supplies of resources.

I think you get the ideas.

Many towns suffer from hasty decisions that later become more and more of a pain to rectify. That leads to messes, clutter and items lost across the town.

There are several bad examples in this spread and of course different areas are different sizes and many areas are consolidated into the same space (medics and nurseries, for instance, though, having pads near the nursery maybe a bad idea as new players might pull out pads just clicking on things out of curiosity).

It just mildly bothers me to see things like the sheep pen and bakery on opposite sides of town.

That said there should always be some spaces between each work area for odds and ends. Towns don't need to be cramped around a single spring or fire.

Another big pet peeve, people that rush nursery floors and walls based on the location of early fires, and cramp the space of the bakery and smithy carelessly.

Anyway, here's the cleaner picture as an example:

N9qJXMK.png

I'm sure many of your peeves are caused do to poorly planned workflows.

Towns should grow organically like plants, with leaves towards the sky and roots down into the water, but at the same time, we're a bunch of computer nerds and we like things neat and tidy, but time constraints being what they are, carelessness and haste can lead to mess and disorganization. Planning a town based on the flow of items into, and around, the work areas can help to reduce the likelihood of that disorganization leading to frustration, and, other problems.

#19 2019-07-18 21:08:33

pein

yeah, the lack of thinking is quite bad
like they see the map and see whats where they still do generic stuff

lot of times i made stations and made sense for people, requires a bit of initiative

like i had rubber stations, right next to sulfur and rubber trees (now you can plant it so even better)
there is oil south east 65 and one north 80? even if it's closer, a road leads trough rabbits, you make it the longer way, this has a lot of value later on

you got ice next to camp? avoid it, it's bad, people starve on it
make the road to springs, you got 3, you are covered, make rails to resources if needed, make fences to resources, like 8 trees? worth a fence if you get 8 straight shafts an hour

upgrade a cart and just haul 6 buckets of water, 6 soil, 6 firewood, 6 packs of soil or 18 clay
needs to be done once

make that fence in desert and take lasso carrot and saddle in cart, catch a horse
run around camp and find the lost clothes, plates, snares

the design of a camp has to be adaptive to map, when you plan for long term it's better
plan that roads to good biomes, plan that cistern to milkweed farm near natural soil
pun down a fence near a small outpost, things like that, people will enjoy the town much more and stay in it

#20 2019-07-18 21:24:46

The_Anabaptist

When I can't put a single baby in a cart, but can stack their corpses four deep in it.

When people play for 30 seconds then decide they have to quit, thus ruining my genetics score.

When I feel compelled to do a job because nobody else is stepping up and the town will die if it isn't done.

The_Anabaptist

#21 2019-07-18 23:21:46

SpiritBomb32

I hate it when someone dies with full clothing and backpack in middle of kitchen/smith and I have to take the items one by one outside of the building because there's not enough room on the inside anyways. At least give clothes to kids and die out of village.

I don't know why but it really gets to me if a kid is trying to do something i'm doing at the same time, like smith or baker. I understand helping but sometimes they are just in the way and make the process slower. Usually if i take up a job and see someone else that's older doing it ill just move on to something else.

When people give knifes to their son/daughter because they "trust" them. I've given my children knifes before but only when i was super old or about to get off.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#22 2019-07-18 23:36:53

Aribear

AmberA wrote:

the beans... relatable

#23 2019-07-18 23:52:32

sigmen4020

SpiritBomb32 wrote:

When people give knifes to their son/daughter because they "trust" them. I've given my children knifes before but only when i was super old or about to get off.

That's when you stealthily switch your knifeless backpack with the infant's.

#24 2019-07-19 03:53:05

Morti

Here, even better, swapped the medic and the bakery, this way the bakers can see the rabbits, the mutton, the wheat, the carrots and the berries. They're all just right next door and it's easier to bring in resources.
Especially wanted the baker to be close to the wheat farm, so they can get that wheat for flour easily.
Also the medic should be near where needles and ropes are. This also still keeps the bakery relatively close to the potter, as they need a regular supply of plates and bowls tend to get taken from bakery and used for seeds.

Folks, we don't need 5 bowls of carrot seeds. Leaving 7 seeds on a dried out carrot plant tile takes up less space and frees up a bowl, if I'm not mistaken they don't disappear either, not like they used to, so, please, if someone neglects 10 plots of carrots, and they all go to seed, please, don't fill every bowl you can find with carrot seeds...

qRpBcVi.png

#25 2019-07-19 03:58:20

Morti

Morti wrote:

Also the medic should be near where needles and ropes are.

thread
Medic next to needles and thread, where sheeps wool and rabbits are processed, keeps those items between those two areas, that way you don't have to look all over the town for them.

Board footer