One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-23 13:23:17

DrPie

Suggestion: Repair knife and arrow after use

As griefers start to destroy communities i would like to make a suggestion how to slow the process by repairing the weapon they used.

For example a non-purpose use of a knive should be punished. By missusing it for stabbing the knife gets dull and you have to change the blade or to sharpen it again. But probably best solution would be to resharpen it like for example this:

knife + human body = dull knife
grinding wheel + dull knife + 30 seconds = sharp knife
split big rock + steel file  = sharpened round stone
sharpened round stone + drop spindle + tied long shaft x 2 + crank = grinding wheel
skewer x 3 + rope x3 = crank

The grinding wheel can be used for future updates as well for sharpening diamonds or coal for pencils, or even to make flour...

Same thing with arrows.
Everytime you use an arrow to kill a human it gets broken and you have to repair it. Usually when you get hit by an arrow you don´t die instantly. The natural reaction of a person that got hit by an arrow would be breaking it by trying to remove it. So why not slow the attacker down with something like this

bow + arrow + human = bow + broken arrow
broken arrow + axe = kindling + goose feather

Another possibility could be that you have to renew the arrow head everytime you shoot a bear, goose, wolf, mutton or human.

bow + arrow + x = bow + headless arrow + shot x

This slows down the attacker an gives every other person a chance to flee.

#2 2018-03-23 14:05:38

Joriom
Website

Re: Suggestion: Repair knife and arrow after use

Personally I love the idea. It has been proposed in the past I believe but didn't get enough attention. There are some problems with proposed recepies though - I'll try to suggest some fixes.

DrPie wrote:

knife + human body = dull knife
grinding wheel + dull knife + 30 seconds = sharp knife
split big rock + steel file  = sharpened round stone
sharpened round stone + drop spindle + tied long shaft x 2 + crank = grinding wheel
skewer x 3 + rope x3 = crank

First of all - timed recepies are no go. I believe current engine does not support them. You can however cheat the system a bit - timed transitions.
Still - "knife being sharpened" lying on ground for 30 seconds and transforming into sharp knife would look strange so...
Why not bring our good friend forge to play?

Knife + human = bloody knife
bloody knife + 10 sec = dull knife (instead of normal knife as it is now)
Firing Forge + Dull Knife = Reheated Blade
Reheated Blade + 10 sec = Steel Blade Blank
You still need to sharpen it with file and mout on short staff again so it should make up for the rest of time

DrPie wrote:

The grinding wheel can be used for future updates as well for sharpening diamonds or coal for pencils, or even to make flour...

Same griding wheel for blades, diamonds, pencils and flour? And PENCILS? Really? Like.... really? God, why...

DrPie wrote:

bow + arrow + human = bow + broken arrow
broken arrow + axe = kindling + goose feather

Goose feathers are renewable. Flint is not. I would rather see it the other way around.
Also - bows are more deadly and there is no time component incorporated like with knife... lets fix that!
Combining those would give me something like that:

broken arrow + bucket of water = dry arrow in water
dry arrow in water + 20 sec = soaked arrow in water
soaked arrow in water + bare hand = arrow head + bucket of water
OR
soaked arrow in water + bare hand = soaked arrow + bucket of water
soaked arrow (on ground) + bare hand = flint chip

Board footer