One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-23 05:44:41

EmmyGamba

Solution to the increasing problem of murdering: Let's make it a sin!

So I'm going to make a suggestions for this on reddit later, but I also want to discuss it here.

It is already quite obvious that due to lack of permanent consequences, grieving and murder are way more common than I'd ever be in the real world. Even alot non-griefers are now becoming quick in randomly killing their fellow man for sometimes the most dumb reason. We need a solution for this or else the people that actually want to build a society are slowly going to leave and all that will be left is going to be one giant anarchistic grief fest.

So let's think about it: What did prevent most people in our past from doing shit during their life? Many religions depicted some kind of judgement. If you lived a filthy and sinful life - then you'd have to face a terrible punishment. There was this serious, possible consequence that would even exceed your whole current life.

We should have something like this too. A consequence that would hit you regardless of what happens in your current life, so that you would always have to ask yourself "Is it really worth it?" before you decide to draw that knife or bow.

My idea would be to introduce a hidden "Sin Score", which you aquire by killing people. This score simply adds a timer that doesn't let you respawn for a certain amount of time. The higher the score is - the longer you'll have to wait. Simple penalty that doesn't ruin the game. You want to be a cold-blooded murderer that kills the whole village? No problem. You can still have your fun! But now you actually have to consider the consequences and can't just abuse the respawn mechanic to keep wiping out one civ after another. It would also give villages some more time to recover after such attacks.

Murders, mass killings, tragedies, griefing.. all of that would still happen - which is good. The dark side of society should definitely be a part of this game. But now the frequency of stuff like that happening would be more realistic and if you do happen to be a victim yourself, then at least you know that you're going to get a new chance to live right away. Your murder won't.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-23 06:31:03)

#2 2018-03-23 06:34:13

Joriom
Website

Re: Solution to the increasing problem of murdering: Let's make it a sin!

*Sigh*

Idea suggested over and over again - a lot of people seem to be against. Jason is MIA so we don't have official stance on the matter yet too.

[Suggestion] Timed penalty for mass killings - if ever implemented
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=638

Also... religion is fiction invented by people for the purpose of mass crowd controll. I don't think it will get videly accepted in video game on its own (for other reasons than shits and giggles) and forcing it would go against principles.

#3 2018-03-23 06:41:59

Thexus

Fellow Carrot Brother, we shall execute every infidel who do not accept the one and only true god, Carrot God. However, we can't just kill our OWN brothers and sisters in the name of murder, we shall forgive every carrotist for their sins, BUT WE MUST KILL ALL INFIDELS.

p.s.: punishment is always a bad game design, there could be some bonus for "pacifists" tho

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#4 2018-03-23 10:20:45

EmmyGamba

Joriom wrote:

*Sigh*

Idea suggested over and over again - a lot of people seem to be against. Jason is MIA so we don't have official stance on the matter yet too.

[Suggestion] Timed penalty for mass killings - if ever implemented
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=638

Also... religion is fiction invented by people for the purpose of mass crowd controll. I don't think it will get videly accepted in video game on its own (for other reasons than shits and giggles) and forcing it would go against principles.

Oh, sorry. I should've scrolled through older threads before I decided to share this. But well, if really so many people suggest the same thing over and over again - then there's definitely a need for that.

This game is fictional aswell, so what stops us from using it as a game mechanic? We don't necessarly need to call it "sin", thats just the first thing that popped into my mind. Simply because religion thematically fits the mindset of early human civilization. And while of course fictional, its still a huge part of our history and had significant influence on the development of our society. So I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to be included as a concept.

Thexus wrote:

p.s.: punishment is always a bad game design, there could be some bonus for "pacifists" tho

Punishment is part of almost every game ever created. Especially this one! Here in OHOL you're sometimes beeing punished for stuff that's not even your fault. Some idiot picks the last carrot and a whole village is screwed.

Its a way create endogenous value in a game. Resources in a game mean more when they can be taken away. Taking risks is exciting - particularly if the potential rewards are balanced against the risks. You can only take risks if there are negative consequences or punishments. For griefers there are no risks. They don't lose anything, while you lose everything.

THAT is bad game design. We need to change that.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-23 10:49:58)

#5 2018-03-23 10:59:57

Aiven

Joriom wrote:

Also... religion is fiction invented by people for the purpose of mass crowd controll.

No, it's not.

#6 2018-03-23 11:54:56

Erudaru

Aiven wrote:
Joriom wrote:

Also... religion is fiction invented by people for the purpose of mass crowd controll.

No, it's not.

It is not invented, it evolved from folklore and was only later used for mass crowd control.

I agree that there should be a system but I also agree that punishments are not the way to go.

I think the idea of marking someone as untrustworthy is the best one I've heard so far (either manually by uses or automatically based on you number of murders). If marked, you can still do anything you like (and possibly redeem yourself if you work hard or when time passes) and the collective will know about you and what to do about you.

I'd call it karma - some way of past actions following you to your next lives and players having access to that information. It's not a direct punishment but people would be warned about the griever early on.

#7 2018-03-23 12:12:04

EmmyGamba

Erudaru wrote:

I think the idea of marking someone as untrustworthy is the best one I've heard so far (either manually by uses or automatically based on you number of murders). If marked, you can still do anything you like (and possibly redeem yourself if you work hard or when time passes) and the collective will know about you and what to do about you.

The issue with that is, that those people don't care if you trust them or not. They're going to try and sneak up on you and kill you regardless. And even if they fail they're just going to respawn and continue their path of destruction somewhere else.

Its just going to make people that actually had a reason to kill someone look bad.

#8 2018-03-23 12:35:39

Aname

Erudaru wrote:
Aiven wrote:
Joriom wrote:

No, it's not.

It is not invented, it evolved from folklore and was only later used for mass crowd control.

I agree that there should be a system but I also agree that punishments are not the way to go.

I'd call it karma - some way of past actions following you to your next lives and players having access to that information. It's not a direct punishment but people would be warned about the griever early on.

Most people will kill those guys i mean if a baby with a red name or something spawn the parent are goint to let it die so.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#9 2018-03-23 14:44:02

lesslucid

I think the idea of having the mechanics of the game punish the griefers goes against the spirit of the game. 

I'm not sure what the right answer is. But I think hostility, danger, miscommunication, and the loss and destruction of your work all *belong* in the game. This is a game about co-operation and crafting and social progress, but also about death, failure, starvation, misery, and frustration. 

Even though you always die as an individual, there is a sense of a world outside yourself which can always move forward, and you can always help it move forward. 

But that's only meaningful if it's a choice. If someone decides to try to move the world backward, that should be possible too. 

I think the most exciting and interesting rewards of the game - discovery of new things, development of new technologies - should only be accessible through successful group co-operation. But... if someone has a destructive urge, well... that reflects something real about life, too. They get the reward of trying to spoil someone else's fun, and they get to discover how long that stays interesting for. My guess is that eventually it will start to wear thin. 

...anyway, yeah, just half-formed thoughts late at night. I guess: I think if the game guarantees successful group co-operation then it won't be challenging or interesting to achieve group co-operation. Maybe the griefers have too many advantages at the moment, and there needs to be some rebalancing. But, like bears or wolves or hunger... this game world is partly stimulating because it puts obstacles in front of you. The griefers are just adding another, different sort of obstacle.

#10 2018-03-23 14:45:36

masamune0

That's kinda hard to implement with taking into account everything...

First, if it is just timed base, (for example 1 hour of no respawn after mass murder), people will do it just before logging off to dodge the waiting.

Then, another issue is :
If you see a griefer, you kill him and then a few persons try to kill you (some griefers wait the chaos before doing griefing), you have no choice but to kill them if you want to stay there/stay alive. And if you succeed in the end you will have massive negative karma whereas you protected the village then yourself.

#11 2018-03-23 18:57:09

Lexyvil

From the previous posts about "Religion not being invented", but being based on folklore, folklore itself is actually "Invented", invented by men.

Also for my opinion on the subject of murderers in the game, I haven't met any killers in the first hours of playing, surprisingly everyone I met are trying their hardest to survive rather than finish each other off, interestingly. Might be rare occasions?

#12 2018-03-23 21:23:22

Capper

My suggestion/idea is that if someone kills someone their character will look visible insane, if they keep murdering they will spawn as insane in their next life and people will be able to see that they are dangerous. It doesn't stop murdering but i don't think murdering should be removed, with this idea people can easily see who are dangerous and who are not.

#13 2018-03-23 22:10:31

ned

Aren't we vastly underestimating how often violence occurred in pre-bronze era times? Like my first encounter with violence in this whole game (playing since release date) was today, and I was born as someone's slave. The 'master' killed a girl who fed me because I didn't subject to his whims.

That seems pretty par for the course to me.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

Board footer