One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-29 02:38:38

karltown_veteran

um what the heck is the leaderboard

just wondering

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#2 2019-06-29 02:57:40

mrbah

Re: um what the heck is the leaderboard

I think jason started implementing the score system.
the longer your  relatives survive, the better for you.

#3 2019-06-29 03:18:42

pein

yeah is kinda needed and kinda hard to measure
like most games motivate you to do stuff instead of not do stuff which is normal

this game doesn't actually needs you to do anything, you can go in wild, eat and die
which is totally fine tactic and you can even stay alive, have kids, hunt rabbits, gear up  your kids and never settle, but is kinda boring

the whole not doing anything is something that you can do, talk, raise kids, like throw them around the fire, eat and watch others work, make crowns and shit talk all day, curse others for mentionign that they made the pants that you are wearign and convince others to curse a male cause why not, beg for a pack 20 min then beg another 20 for a knife then stab someone for the heck of it, then beg for others to bury you

i mean is not ideal to get points only for having a big family, like you just got to survive and raise the kids and maybe prevent drama
i mean if i see 80 others de under 60 min, i guess i get a lot of points
which is not really my merit, and highly random, like what did you do for havign more kids? some yumming and sitting on fire
now if counts cousins and others then you get more points for free
and if you are male then kinda nothing at all

dunno how it will turn out, and whats the point of it but hey, it's an update

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-06-29 03:33:09

Spoonwood

It's at least possible to stand in a fully floored 6x6 room instead of standing on the fire now for temperature purposes.  Yea, probably not going to work with the door swinging open so much even if springy, but it's there.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-06-29 03:33:36

Tarr
Banned

How it works basically. You have an elo score which goes up when your kids live longer than your current score and goes down when they die younger. You lose less pips as you get older based off your score which means you won't be as wasteful as an old person. Score can be checked on the homepage and your name at the game login

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-06-29 03:39:56

Grim_Arbiter

What tarr said. Your name for the leaderboards can be found in the genes section of the main nenu.

Its not your real name lel

Let the claims of being Giuliano Sprunk begin

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-06-29 20:41:44)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-06-29 04:42:29

RodneyC86

I think at least this helps give an effect similar to actual survival instinct you get in an actual life. Also, this may actually be slight net positive for inter-family relations since starting a fight would obviously be detrimental for both sides scores.

Only issue i can see is overzealous players who are anal about min-maxing everything to get extremely high genetics score. Eugenics is no fun , but we'll see if it happens

#8 2019-06-29 05:00:27

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:

I think at least this helps give an effect similar to actual survival instinct you get in an actual life. Also, this may actually be slight net positive for inter-family relations since starting a fight would obviously be detrimental for both sides scores.

Only issue i can see is overzealous players who are anal about min-maxing everything to get extremely high genetics score. Eugenics is no fun , but we'll see if it happens

I mean I don't think the scores matter that much. Only if you care about being the best potential mom which is only one very specific thing you can be good at. I would assume some people are going to care about it but for me it has zero impact. I don't even know who any of those people on the leaderboards are and unless you provide proof of being or not being someone we're all rank one and not rank one at the same time.

The bonuses for raising kids is nice but besides that I probably won't check the leaderboard at all in its current state.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-06-29 07:24:54

ollj

A ranking system, that tries to measure and rank in favor for long lifes of your close relatives.
its an extension to "life is precious" limited lives.
it mostly promotes parents (includes males) actually caring to have more children, and not just neglecting or murdering children.

it is a counter against the "art of suicide", where people just stop caring for offspring, and a city fizzles out.

you get longer lasting pips, which is fine, and not needed at all, when you can just get up to 17 yums.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 07:28:25)

#10 2019-06-29 07:36:12

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

I mean I don't think the scores matter that much. Only if you care about being the best potential mom which is only one very specific thing you can be good at. I would assume some people are going to care about it but for me it has zero impact. I don't even know who any of those people on the leaderboards are and unless you provide proof of being or not being someone we're all rank one and not rank one at the same time.

The bonuses for raising kids is nice but besides that I probably won't check the leaderboard at all in its current state.

Yeah, you can only bring horse to the water. But at least there's water now?

#11 2019-06-29 07:40:37

Grim_Arbiter

ollj wrote:

you get longer lasting pips, which is fine, and not needed at all, when you can just get up to 17 yums.

See i always loose the 15 to 20 yum at like 55 and have to go to berry or bread munchin. Now I can be more efficient as an oldie.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-06-29 07:53:49

ollj

its nice that this is mostly psychological leaderboarding, and the ingame effect is mostly neglible, as far as i can tell.
i guess my tradition, of a "lets get naked with the bears" or "lets get nude in the bananas" funny but egocentric bonded-partner suicide around age 55 finds an end now.

#13 2019-06-29 12:10:34

mrbah

My name does not show up in the online leaderboard, but the score I have and the rank directly corresponds to another name of the leaderboard, it that name a hash or key or whatever of mine or does the ingame system just look at what score I would have if my name would be entered?

Okay, it ,turns out, I am just stupid, the name i used to search for my leaderboard score was my forum activation phrase.
your leaderboard name is ingame when you inspect your fitness score.

Last edited by mrbah (2019-06-29 12:25:42)

#14 2019-06-29 14:51:14

mrbah

I gotta say, the impact is pretty noticeable, I just died at the age of 60 and i had nine food bars at 58 or 59.

I am around 30th place, so I imagine top scorer might have significantly more, like 12 or 15. wonder if someone can confirm this.

#15 2019-06-29 15:29:55

BlueDiamondAvatar

The leaderboard definitely needs more explanation... what are the units?  What do the scores mean in terms of pips available at age 59?  Does relative ranking matter for elder pips saved, or is it just the score itself?   Also, it would be nice if we could "opt in" to show our forum username as well as the in-game name.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#16 2019-06-29 15:38:21

InSpace

I were in 5th place for a while, then my nooby kids died at age 6 and 30 and got me going lower, when I died at sixty.

#17 2019-06-29 17:03:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The idea is that you claim your leaderboard name in your forum sig.

Even if I let you tie forum names to it, it could be faked, right?  (I mean, unless I deeply integrated it, and required your forum password, etc.)

I will think about a simple "proof" system that people can use to claim leaderboard names.

#18 2019-06-29 17:33:46

jinbaili83

How does age of death affect score?
Granddaughters who died at age 5 of gave me +0.53 ,age 10 +0.39 and age 21 +0.61.
Isn't longer life = bigger score?

#19 2019-06-29 17:38:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Screenshot Jinbaili?

It is based on how far the age is from your current score at the moment when you die.

Formula is pretty simple:

newScore = oldScore + (deathAge - oldScore) / 10

So, if their death age matches your current score, your score will not change.  If their death age is higher, your score will go up.  If lower, your score will go down.

Think about it as their death age "pulling" your score in some direction, either up or down.

#20 2019-06-29 17:46:47

Twisted

jinbaili83 wrote:

How does age of death affect score?
Granddaughters who died at age 5 of gave me +0.53 ,age 10 +0.39 and age 21 +0.61.
Isn't longer life = bigger score?

It's kinda similar to Elo, which means it depends on your current score. Your [New Score] = [Old Score] + ([Age] - [Old Score])/10.

Let's say you have a score of 14.10. If you or your offspring dies at age 60, your new score will be [14.10 + (60-14.10)/10], which means it's [14.10 + 4.59], which is 18.69.

Last edited by Twisted (2019-06-29 18:44:55)

#21 2019-06-29 18:07:50

mrbah

is there a delay in the genes screen?
I died a few minutes ago and my son and daughter show up on the genes screen, but I can't find myself. I can find my other lives and some of their children, even an ancestor in the same and his nieces, but that 60 year old woman I just played at won't show up.

#22 2019-06-29 18:31:06

AmyJ

mrbah wrote:

is there a delay in the genes screen?
I died a few minutes ago and my son and daughter show up on the genes screen, but I can't find myself. I can find my other lives and some of their children, even an ancestor in the same and his nieces, but that 60 year old woman I just played at won't show up.

That's happened with me twice now. My kids and grandkids are all there - just not me tongue

#23 2019-06-29 18:43:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, there's a bug where some lives are not getting reported properly.

I found and fixed the bug, and the fix is rolling out soon.

We need to be careful here with how we describe this.  Elo is a very specific system for rating and ranking players in 2p competitive games.  Elo is brilliant and has some amazing mathematical properties.

This system is Elo-like, but is not a straight-up Elo system.

#24 2019-06-29 19:06:50

ollj

theres definitely strange things going on in the ranking, because my last few times i was mostly a male, and almost always my whole life on a horse, and i murdered people left and right, including annoying people of my own family, even had the usual doomed horse children that i never heard scream, all in all in only 2 of my 10 lifes o got to be a half decent mom.my playstyle was not leaderboard friendly. and somehow it still ranks me 14th place by now.
I rarely were below 11 lifes, down to 8, then playing for 55 minutes, and i sure did /die a lot in cities that just had no skill and were wasting everyones time, in terms of the scoring system.

I guess good judgement in that sure helps, so let me mislead you a bit; never type /die when you see no rope being farmed, because only newbies farm rope. its all about the berries, and kindling collection is to be done by slaves. always make sure to have huge private property fenches full of kindling gatheriung slaves. this way you have all the time to find gold for the ten crowns that you need.
if you get born into a family with null girls, that just means you can take over and dominate more easily. yeah, lets see how many people take this one at face value.

My ranking skyrocketed, when i visited the bell tower, and became knoown as the "white guy who killed 6 of 20", and they kept fearing me after my death, because my murderer never reported killing me, and i got rebotrn by a few of the survivors of my massacre.
which was fun, becausae i instantly got reborn into bell city, so i could play dumb, loot all the loot intoi hidden stashes, and silendly laught at them still fearing me from my past life, as if i was never defeated. fearful people could easily be told "hostiles sw", so i could focus on my overflowing stashes, that are in all the other directions.

so, i guess, reincarnation may just bind you to a locale close to your most recent death, which means, it is beneficial to try to die close to large families, not necessarily your own family, preferably guerillia fighting till age 55, and then switching to theft. (stealing from feoreighners, then get reborn there, and know where all the goods are)

main point here is, knifes are for traitors, and you do any family a big favor, by just hiding all the knifes far away from any locale that you may actually care for.
theres always a dumb mom or kid who will gift or make knifes to way too young characters, and its just a matter of time till that is used to grief or murder for the grief of it.

---

soo, if food is low, does it make sometimes sense to murder your cousins and cousins children, before your children spent too much time starving?
if youre born as girll in a town without arrows, and lor capability to make knifes, and you have one of the few knifes, why not murder everyone, and take over?

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 19:22:05)

#25 2019-06-29 20:08:32

jinbaili83

Thanks I understand now. My first granddaughter died minute before me so my score was 0 at that point and it made more points than older child who died after me.

Board footer