One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-28 10:11:43

InSpace

Idea: Demo version of the game with 1 life per 3 days

Demo versions of games are often really good to get me to try out something to see if it fits me, and with the lives per x amount of time mechanic, why not use it as a demo with a really long respawn time?

Do you like it or do you think it's dumb?

#2 2019-06-28 11:49:27

testo

Re: Idea: Demo version of the game with 1 life per 3 days

I think this could never happen, because the servers can only support so many players. Maybe with a ticket system, otherwise a free demo could potentially collapse the servers.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-06-28 16:14:41

pein

the survival is not for everyone
i don't know what kept me going, the fact that i died or that i lived
i guess is totally different when everyone is new and the situation is new, no one can make a decent camp
people give up easy without a sense of success
so the tutorial is needed, and still you struggle with controls

i think some sort of more complex tutorial system would be nice
or more tutorials, like either real players could join up with newbees or challenge type sandboxes

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-06-29 09:16:51

ollj

yes sounds lovely, a free and much more hardcore/trial version.

the game is very opensource, [two hours one life] is a freeware spinoff, but its mechanics differ (many extensions, but not all updates), and its mobile port is only temorarily good, only if you are in asia and speak japanese, chinese or korean (large servers are not on all day, only a quater day, and ping matters in the mobile port).

the servers vary a lot, so a sneak peek makes sense for a savy buyer.
therefore, not much would be lost by very limited free trial-like acces.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 09:19:24)

#5 2019-06-29 09:18:46

MultiLife

1 life per 3 days? I feel like every lineage would die out due to no kids being born, everyone is on a life cooldown.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-06-29 09:20:04

ollj

MultiLife wrote:

1 life per 3 days? I feel like every lineage would die out due to no kids being born, everyone is on a life cooldown.

i sure assert, that everyone plays on the same servers, to have enough server population.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 09:20:30)

#7 2019-06-29 09:20:41

RodneyC86

MultiLife wrote:

This is for people who are demoing the game only

#8 2019-06-29 10:50:00

mrbah

I think this would be a nightmare for jason.
What's stopping a person from making two hundred demo accounts and cycling through them to get a full game, in essence?

#9 2019-06-29 23:17:28

Joseph Stalin

lots of requirements to get the demo would be needed but more people in the server will help us better show exponential growth when there is food, and big famines where there isn't, and also bigger wars ;p

#10 2019-06-30 03:29:07

Kitaelia

Originally Jason's sales plan was $1.00 per one hour / one life.

I wonder if it would be viable to still sell one hour for $1.00
That way people wanting to test the game can buy a life (or a few) try it cheap.
Then if they enjoy it they buy it.

No idea how this would be implemented, but it would get more people to try it. smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#11 2019-06-30 03:57:21

Tarr
Banned

Kitaelia wrote:

That way people wanting to test the game can buy a life (or a few) try it cheap.

No idea how this would be implemented, but it would get more people to try it. smile

Can you imagine buying a life and getting a horse cart mom? Or someone just dumps you on a snake as you're born? If he was going to do anything free why not just let people try the tutorial? Sure you could fly someone out but that's a lot of effort (for example it takes me like 20 minutes to break out and make a landing strip).

A new player eve would only get like 25 minutes of real play in the game if all the hoops were jumped through and otherwise at best they'd get broken out and shown to a tutorial town.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-06-30 11:56:52

Kitaelia

Tarr wrote:
Kitaelia wrote:

Can you imagine buying a life and getting a horse cart mom? Or someone just dumps you on a snake as you're born? If he was going to do anything free why not just let people try the tutorial? Sure you could fly someone out but that's a lot of effort (for example it takes me like 20 minutes to break out and make a landing strip).

A new player eve would only get like 25 minutes of real play in the game if all the hoops were jumped through and otherwise at best they'd get broken out and shown to a tutorial town.

Yes it would be a terrible business model to pay $1.00 and then die instantly using up your one life.

I was more using the phrase "buy a life" loosely.
Ideally they would get at least 60 minutes of playtime for their $1.00

The game in itself is already sorta a free demo since it's open source and you can just get the files from someone else to make your own server, or have a friend make one.
But that is not practical as a demo because that's a lot more effort than a demo should be.

Whether they are paid or on a "free lives" timer like mentioned above:
I think it would be really nice if we had a different type of lives. Separate from the 12/12 we get over time.
That could be given/gifted to other people so they can try the game.
Streamers could give out a few lives on their streams so curious viewers could demo before they buy.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#13 2019-07-01 05:31:11

HimitsuGato

I suggested this on the precious life update thread!

I think it would be a great idea, and would be a way to aggressively expand the player base of the game.
Either one life for $1.00 of a few lives packaged together.

New players could have a large pool, then a slow life cooldown of 1 life every 8 hours. I think it could be a viable business model one way or another.

Board footer