One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-21 08:28:23

Dantox

Problem: newcomen engine feels slow and tedious on high-tech towns

Just the whole process in general is time-consuming in general, and while i think it works great the way it works now on mid-sized towns i think it is a slow down for people who want to work on stuff in high-tech towns.

I dont have a lot of game designing experience (not any at all) but perhaps could we replace the atmospheric core with a diesel engine? we could make it so it can be turned on or off and switching tools while consumating diesel everytime is on

make bread, no war

#2 2019-06-21 08:51:48

sigmen4020

Re: Problem: newcomen engine feels slow and tedious on high-tech towns

Isn’t that what the kerosene Newcomen engine is for though? Having used that in the past it’s not as annoying to operate. Just fill in the last bucket in the pump, add kerosene and then fire it up. A lot less tedious than the charcoal pump.

If you already have oil up and running, why not make it into a kerosene running pump for its last life? Once you have oil it’s fairly cheap to make (1 steel + 1 rope is not expensive for the benefit you get). I just feel like people end up forgetting that it exists.

I don’t know if I’m misrepresenting your issue, but if you involve switching Newcomen core with Diesel engine then presume the town already got oil.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-06-21 11:58:27)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-06-21 14:36:29

pein

i guess he talks about the other wells

generally as i see, people upgrade 2-3 more wells until they get oil
and lot of times they do engine before kerosene
i finished 2 engines lately

Sheer town had plenty of iron from my last life, the time i got back, the engine only missed a few parts
took me long cause 1-2 things were missing, the water ran out way before we finished, but we used nearby wells

the other was pizza town, same i was there before, and made some part of the engine, a complete new kiln system
plenty of charcoal and when i died even had a stanchion kit to the other well, a cistern near the machine

people don't know where oil is or don't work on it, so they just move to other well, then you end up with a newcommen well with no purpose after oil
well, you can get back a core, i guess, use it for the outpost
the wick burner makes it quite decent, but better have some cistern near it, and a fire, so you can empty that well for good

later the oupost can spare time and resources for a core

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-06-21 16:12:55

mrbah

I think it's very teidious to make large amounts of charcoal, maybe that's part of your problem?

#5 2019-06-21 17:49:08

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

the wick burner makes it quite decent, but better have some cistern near it, and a fire, so you can empty that well for good

You would hope so, right?

Well, here's my experience with the upgrades.  I can't say I've managed to upgrade a charcoal pump on bs2, because it's been busted if I've gotten one up.

I made two towns since the server wipe on a low pop server, both where I finally get oil up.  In one of them I make the kerosone pump and it runs once.  In the other town I couldn't even use the kerosone pump as the well exhausted as soon as I got the last bucket out.  I also upgraded one in the early days of the CCM mod.  I played with Tarr actually.  The kerosone pump ran once and then busted.  He said it wasn't even worth it (since that happened), and I think he was right on that.

The kerosone pump SHOULD be worth it.  If it runs at least two times, it's worth it probably.  But, it has to run two time successfully and there's no guarantee that such happens.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-06-21 17:51:14

Spoonwood

With respect to the original post, the only problem I have is with the kerosone pump being of questionable use, because of the possibility of it busting before you can even run it once, or have only run it once.

Well, and that people do engines before oil, but that's not a game design problem.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-06-21 21:28:38

futurebird

Pein can you stop building engines for like a week so other people learn? I strongly suspect that all the engines on the server are built by you and maybe two other people.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-06-21 21:48:46

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

Pein can you stop building engines for like a week so other people learn? I strongly suspect that all the engines on the server are built by you and maybe two other people.

I don't think Pein built the diesel engine for the water pump for the Lola family recently.  I say that, because as I recall I placed the multipurpose newcomen engine there, and Pein and I had a spat about engine placement recently (ahem... one space between the rightmost kiln (for a stack of steel and a spot to stand with tongs) and the engine on the right side of that kiln is where you want the engine).

Danish Clinch.

Board footer