One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-19 13:11:09

futurebird

Where should the fire go?

People make buildings with doors, so I thought the point was to have the fire inside in a nursery, but I've been seeing very few indoor fires. I think the issue is nurseries are boring and if the fire is outside near the smith and bakery you can bake or smith while raising a kid. Been seeing much less of the woman by the fire and everyone just dumps the kid there. I think that's because there are fewer kids.

But, the side effect is the fire isn't ever indoors and most tows just feel... provisional. Fire is in some random spot outside, near the center of town. It's useful for the smith and baker and working moms but are there any ideas on town design given the new mechanics?

People still also seem to want to stand by the outside fire so they can talk to and watch people who are working. Being in a nursery is boring. I never stand in a nursery I take my kid with me and maybe stop by the fire with them to find out what's going on. Since we have a more reasonable number of kids now and very few /die babies this feels much better.

But the design of towns feels off.

I used to be very opposed to having the fire in the bakery since too many people and clutter (and baby bones) would make the space awful. But it's not so bad now. Since it's hard to build a functional indoor smith maybe it's time to go back to the old bakery/nursery designs? No real point building a little room just for storing kids anymore.

What do you all think?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-06-19 13:51:44

CatX

Re: Where should the fire go?

The nursery fire should be the center of the berry patches.
Each berry patch should be 3x3 tiles, separated by wooden roads and wood road surrounding it. Possibly with a stone road outside of that.

The closest 3x3 patch to the bakery could be for stew and boxes of pies. The patch closest to rabbit land could be for boxes of clothes, rabbits and furs. One patch should perhaps be dedicated to carrots, since they tend not to be picked if far away from where things are happening. That would leave 5 3x3 patches of berries. Should be enough?

For example:

B-C-B
F-N-W
B-B-B

B=Berries
C=Carrots
F=Food
N=Nursery (no walls, just open space with fire)
W=Wardrobe

#3 2019-06-19 17:01:04

JonySky
Website

I do not know if I am leaving the subject, but I have always believed that the buildings are useless and the advantages are minimal
I do not find any significant advantage of making a fire outside or inside a building

the same thing happens with clothes ... nowadays you can survive without it ... you only need to control hunger correctly

There must be more extreme survival mechanisms that force players to take refuge in a building with a bonfire

#4 2019-06-19 18:48:07

pein

the berry designs should be more creative and no fucking reason to build it around the spring
that only useful until you upgrade it
after deep well you use buckets and cisterns anyway

hot rooms need no fire

you can keep up 2 fires if people make enough boards and transport stuff home

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-06-20 10:08:27

kategriss
Website

I think that there should not be a nursery at all. There should be big a bakery with an oven and boxes (with pies, plates, bowls, ...) at the top, ingredients and work in progress in the middle and a fire with more boxes (for clothing) at the bottom. That's where the babies would go.

What do you think?

#6 2019-06-20 13:13:28

CatX

I'm not fond of having too many people in the kitchen when I make pies. Making the kitchen into part nursery also means people will eventually clutter the kitchen floor with clothing.

And yes, sometimes no pies get made if there are no people around, but I think it often is more urgent that carrots get picked in time...

Another benefit of having the (no-wall) nursery in the berry/carrot field is that you can teach new players how to tend berries while they're waiting to grow up.

#7 2019-06-20 16:03:04

MistressZues

I think a indoor Fireplace is needed for this very purpose. People don't just start a fire on their houses wood floor in real life lol. Even backyard fire places have a lil circle of brick. I think a indoor version and a outdoor version that prevents other from placing stew an turkey broth on it would be a life saver. An added bonus would be a fire poker to stir the coals enough to add fire wood to reignite instead of kindling.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#8 2019-06-20 17:28:35

Sukallinen

I'm pretty fast clicking so first thing I usually do is I pick up four to six bowls, go to berryfarm, spread'em and fill. This gives people incentive to bring carrots/take bowls elsewhere (which takes too much of my valuable-lol-time). Also, since now bowls are finite resource when bit older I get few cartfuls of clay and make bowls. If bowls still when I can use cart, I can cart'em, cart wheat to bakery too.

I've been trying to get this idea: berryfarm -> carrot (one side) -> sheep pen, IDK why it hasn't rly caught up. Moving all those carrots is major pein (sry, misspell, pain).

Of course wheat (other side) with some carrots too. Another one I'll never understand is why fill every single wooden floor between berryfarms with soil using baskets ? I need the room for the bowls. Right side is fast pickings, up/down bit slower, idk may be just me.

About the topic (I usually get to topic after this long wall of text):
-you are on the way with little free space indoors (like, room for donated clothes etc)
-you can be locked inside
-nursery is useful (building or location) as when I get old I can ask someone to take care of baby (if nobody near I feed kid berries)
-useful also when I've noticed critical stuff, have kid, I say fast: "everyone is nude/I bring cart of furries/feed bb?" (furries (tm) being rabbits). Baby gets fed.

Also, nursery meh, not too important. And it's player-created content of the game, so each town to its own. Each person to his/her own. Feel free to build/not build building. I've put a fire myself outside near berryfarm so I can pick berries while feeding kid or three. And get the kids on yum-chain, breastmilk, berry, berrybowl.

When sitting inside, four woman each with her own kid, I speak: tell which way is which biome, where I left my furrytraps and (15) furries etc... useful. Most are silent/chat about non-kid-useful stuff. The one place where I do RP rly-though throwing puns or bad jokes to my babies sometimes elsewhere.

I loved the town where radio sender knew stuff, everyone dropped near him and told about biomes, where rabbitraps etc, and receiver was in nursery. ONLY time I ever saw kids pick their own professions. It was also very useful for griefer-brought bear(s) were killed very fast, I presume same for warparties approaching now.

Board footer