One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-17 17:49:09

JonySky
Website

The crossing of cultures ... is not working

Today I played a few lives in OHOL
I have realized that visiting a distant family to establish a relationship of any kind (commercial, friendship, cultural ...) is a big mistake
I can not even try to talk to them on top of my horse, the war sword also annihilates you on a horse

one of the great mechanics that this game has and makes it unique and special is the language and language learning
when this was incorporated in OHOL, they began to create great stories (I remember that I traveled a lot and left my children to learn the language and cross family ties)

but those stories have evaporated

Now when someone visits a distant family, they kill you instantly
you can not learn the language to communicate because the murder is immediate, not even on a horse
it is not worth traveling to another lineage to do anything (only war)

my question is? How are we going to create commerce in this way?
Why is the language implemented if no one wants to visit another foreign family because of the risk of being killed?

I believe that the balance is too inclined to war ... not to the collaboration between lineages and crosses of families

I do not see badly the wars, but also we must have more mechanics of collaboration between families and lineages
there are no mechanics to have children in common (between 2 families) nor crosses of surnames

That is an essential part of the current civilization, the crosses of races
Why do not we promote more crossings of families and less war?

#2 2019-06-17 18:31:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: The crossing of cultures ... is not working

Not sure why everyone kills you on sight like that.

I've had that happen too.

I guess it's just because they can?

I mean, even without the war swords, or the lack of cursing, they still could, because you're alone, and they are many.

The difference now is that they KNOW you are not part of their family (language and appearance), where before, you could just blend in.

When I visit another village, I usually try to bring valuable gifts to demonstrate my peaceful intentions.  That works sometimes.

#3 2019-06-17 18:47:03

AmyJ

Bringing them some steel usually works well for me

#4 2019-06-17 18:53:28

WumboJumbo

AmyJ wrote:

Bringing them some steel usually works well for me

They seem to like clothes too.

#5 2019-06-17 19:01:08

testo

They kill you instantly because there is no gain whatsoever in having you around.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-06-17 19:20:29

WalrusesConquer

I've been in a place, where I simply didn't speak to anyone (eve) and named my kids behind a tree. Since they were luckily ginger too,
i just snuck my kids in between their role playing.
I think it's a shame that everyone wants to kill outsiders but it's mainly:
A.) Old people who came back from hunting and have no idea what's going on.
Or
B.) Some kid who's old enough to hold a sword.

These are the main killers i feel

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#7 2019-06-17 19:57:23

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think it's because they can.

I think it is because you pose a danger. Even if you mean peace, you may bring (or give birth to) other family members who don't share your intentions. It's too big a risk to let you live.

Right now there is no need to have strangers around. Anything the stranger can do, you, your family or your descendants can do just as well. The only thing that separates strangers from family, apart from appearance and language, is the ability to kill and wage war without being cursed. To many it's just not worth the risk when they know that strangers will mean war down the line, no matter what anyone does to prevent it.

#8 2019-06-17 20:47:36

Grim_Arbiter

testo wrote:

They kill you instantly because there is no gain whatsoever in having you around.

Pretty much this

You're never going to be part of someone else's family in game, because there currently is no way to be in someone else's family.

You can marry and name an unrelated child as a male, and they'll take your name, but can still cut you down with the war sword.

Even if they don't kill you, you're always going to be an outsider at best and a slave as the worst.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-06-17 21:12:19

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

I mean, even without the war swords, or the lack of cursing, they still could, because you're alone, and they are many.

The difference now is that they KNOW you are not part of their family (language and appearance), where before, you could just blend in.

When I visit another village, I usually try to bring valuable gifts to demonstrate my peaceful intentions.  That works sometimes.

There's never ever a reason you want someone from a different village in your own UNLESS they're the only fertile female. It takes one bad actor to set a town into a murderfest if two families live together so why risk it? Before the war sword update the opposite was true: There was never a reason you wouldn't want outsiders because for the sake of the town it's better to have more females no matter what lineage they are as more females equals more babies which raises the chance of a towns survival.

So you succeeded in making it so families can't become one happy blob but in doing so you basically killed 99% of mixed towns due to the risk being too great to keep outsiders. I'm sure some of it is just being killing others because they're a different family which classically has occurred but I believe it's more of the issue of having satan pop out and kill all the members of the other family.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-06-17 21:29:17

pein

beause families are still not a group, there are no group decisions or leader decisions, so a family is as aggressive as the weakest member
one person can cause havoc and the other fam has no way to curse, which is ok i guess, but the other family pays for the revenge

whatever they or you do, the people remain unrelated and eventually ends up in massacre, so if you care for the name and look of family, you need to kill em, kill one female or later they can just force your family out

it's pretty much because they can
they can kill you and you cant curse them
they got a sword and want to use it
i seen people killing me cause they had a sword
i was disarmed by a granny but she didn't hurt my kids but the first girl with sword kill two of us
i seen people build fences and make swords, even a guy who was "guarding" in the most distant city ever, it's like 500 - 2900 so no one was near us and he legit was runnign around with a bow like 40 minutes

i can imagine that people would propose a war, and everyone votes on it
or some sort of voted leader or based on some merit (no scores or point system so this one wouldn't really work)
inheritance would be even worse i guess
at least people would know they are in war
right now people either curse you when you kill others, even in fenced town, which is suggesting that your ancestors had trouble
or someone starts a war when every elder wants peace, a 8 year old stabs 2 people then they stab him and people cant track who started or why

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-06-17 22:39:07

RodneyC86

The days when you find another civilization is no longer one of joy of discovery but has turned into full blown fear at this point.

I don't think we should be by default be at war with everyone. I think war should be an option by declaration when enough elders support a war declaration (maybe a simple majority among players more than 30 years old)

So therefore , baseline is everyone can only kill each other with knife and bow as previously presword update and can also curse each other but there is option to 'escalate' to swords if negotiations fail

Voting interface would be game-y but would be fairer to all parties involved, for both aggressor and victim .
Just because a tribe is the attacker doesn't necessarily mean all their members enjoy a slaughter .

#12 2019-06-17 23:18:56

JonySky
Website

I see that many people say that the reason why they kill all foreigners is because they can end their lineage and because they can not curse
but nobody realizes that if your mother does not name you, can you do exactly the same?

I think that an extreme fear has been created after the update of the approach of the cities and the massacres of EVES that there were
I remember that even I killed the eves that came to my city because almost all were murderous griefers

It was a bad time that has already passed, but we continue to act with the same fear

#13 2019-06-17 23:29:56

CatX

JonySky wrote:

I see that many people say that the reason why they kill all foreigners is because they can end their lineage and because they can not curse
but nobody realizes that if your mother does not name you, can you do exactly the same?

You can name any nameless person even if they're too old to pick up. Just stand close to them and say "You are ..." Then you can curse them.

#14 2019-06-18 01:37:50

Bob 101

jasonrohrer wrote:

It is mostly trust issues, Griefers can descend from anyone. Nobody wants the anti-Christ with a war sword.

#15 2019-06-18 01:41:36

futurebird

I understand why people do it but I don't think it's an optimal strategy? I mean nasty players can be *your* kids too. Cursing is the main cause of this pre-emptive murder. I don't bother with it. I really don't like the "it must be a one family town" mentality. Towns need people. Killing people kills the town. By degrees. The damage done trying to "prevent" an evil curse-able child being born. (and the fact the people kill because they are worried they will be eliminated for the same reason) stacks up more murders than actual griefers.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#16 2019-06-18 07:02:09

CatX

futurebird wrote:

I understand why people do it but I don't think it's an optimal strategy? I mean nasty players can be *your* kids too. Cursing is the main cause of this pre-emptive murder. I don't bother with it. I really don't like the "it must be a one family town" mentality. Towns need people. Killing people kills the town. By degrees. The damage done trying to "prevent" an evil curse-able child being born. (and the fact the people kill because they are worried they will be eliminated for the same reason) stacks up more murders than actual griefers.

I agree, but I also understand why they do it. The game engine has options for war right now, so war naturally becomes the meta in regard to strangers.

I mean, if you play Sinistar, then you destroy spaceships, because that's what's implemented in the game. (https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6960)

There is no way that I can see to create peaceful towns with more than one lineage. If my family starts killing strangers, what do I do? Kill my own family? Curse my own family? When the strangers can't even explain themselves? How do I see the difference between family members who have legit reasons to kill strangers, and family who are just doing it for the lols? How do I see the difference between griefing and legit war? It's not possible.

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-18 07:04:51)

#17 2019-06-18 08:05:48

Léonard

futurebird wrote:

I mean nasty players can be *your* kids too.

Except if it's my kid, he can be cursed and cannot wield the war sword against my family.

This is the same problem than with twins, the mechanics are unbalanced towards them and as such people started killing their twins.
And for good reason.

Tarr wrote:

it's more of the issue of having satan pop out and kill all the members of the other family.

Didn't we see this coming from a mile away?
Didn't some people predict it the second the war sword came out?
zeWw.png

#18 2019-06-18 16:34:42

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

As others have explained above, I think, it's basically xenophobia (though maybe 'trust issues' of children of outsiders isn't exactly xenophobia).  I think I predicted that this would be the result of the proposed changes before you made them before the 'come together' update.  Everyone having the same hair color ends up silly and is visually bland.  It should get reversed, and the game should go back to people having children with different hair or skin color sometimes.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-18 19:44:54)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2019-06-18 17:51:16

ollj

in this game, many people murder any twin, because twins have a tendency to go rouge.
sure most people murder foreigners for all they got.
if you meet a foreign city, yopur fate is to be the ourskirt murderer, once or twice, and then return to base to report.

#20 2019-06-18 17:56:53

Sukallinen

Between all the changes in cursing, I kind of lost track (cursing rarely). So you can curse anyone now ? Anyhow, to the topic:

To have culture from elsewhere currently I see only one way: fertility to go down (say, inbreeding irl) , but this needs new mechanics, like marriage by taking surname of other family. Nobody cares about outside appearances, so this would give chance to be adopted to a family. Another would be 10% more productivity but not worth the risk. Anything short of family (=town) fading out isn't worth the risk.
--
Since issue about voting came up: 30 is imo way too young and those people have much more to contribute (to town) by exploring (rather than only RP'ers never leaving town only ones being able to vote) to gather every three years (or whatever) to town center/bell to vote. Maybe 50+ or 55+, because by that time you usually best serve your town by staying nearby (at later age eating berries if food required since other food is way too strong). I often tell stories in nursery about lay-of-the-land, I see it useful so every kid doesn't have to search where to find some biome they want. I've never had anyone old talk to me over nursery fire, so chances are it's been me if you've seen someone.

Also needs new mechanics, also some sign that says "voting" lockable ? Still problem with towns that are derived from same eve but away from eachother I imagine.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-18 18:01:48)

#21 2019-06-18 19:24:16

JonySky
Website

When the Update of the twins was implemented the same thing happened, at the beginning 90% of twin players were griefers who helped each other ... Currently most twins are good players who cooperate with the city ...

But there are still players who think that the twins should die, the paranoia and the fear of the murderous twins we had in the past is still present right now

With foreigners and visitors from other families something similar is happening ... After the Update of the war swords most foreigners were murderers ...

I think that we must create a mechanism to integrate families and see foreigners as an advantage ...

Board footer