One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-22 07:36:44

RunnersShade

Acronyms and other useful things?

Hey y'all, since typing space is limited, and helpful kids can only use 3 or 4 letters, what would be some good acronyms to have as common use?
We already say Press F for food, so babies can say when they need food (hopefully), and current common acronyms are already in use:

BTW- By the way
FYI- For your information
ILY/ILYT- I love you/too
IDK- I don't know

What would be fast ones to communicate about milkweed, berries, carrots, farming, pie making, trapping, etc. that would be easy?
Here's some I recommend:

FNC/W- Farm needs compost/water
IGGT- I'll go get that
HTH?- How to help? (other alternatives could be WND- What needs doing, or WTD- What to do)
IC F/T/P/(etc)- I can farm, trap, make pies, other jobs with one letter

Useful shorthands?
More suggestions:

Ber- berries
car- carrots (I suppose until cars get added at least)
Frm- Farm
Mlk- Milkweed

I want to gather a list of what others use, or would be willing to use, so we can start seeding the community with these (if people like the idea).

#2 2018-03-22 07:43:27

Thorware

Re: Acronyms and other useful things?

I want one for "Show me around" because when I'm a baby I like to start planning how to help the village by looking at what's already in the village. I can't do that if you just stand by the fire for five minutes.

It sucks that when you are first born you only get one letter, and then only two letters, limiting many acronyms to when you are already half way to independence.

#3 2018-03-22 08:04:59

Joriom
Website

Thorware wrote:

I want one for "Show me around" because when I'm a baby I like to start planning how to help the village by looking at what's already in the village. I can't do that if you just stand by the fire for five minutes.

It sucks that when you are first born you only get one letter, and then only two letters, limiting many acronyms to when you are already half way to independence.

Showing around is luxury. When you stay near fire (without clothes) you consume way less food. This way mothers use much less food themselves (feeding makes them hungry) and/or can run away to do some stuff in between feeding. When all kilds are in the same spot it also makes teaching easier. Whenever I play and have job near fire - I live to just run close and say something worthy of note from time to time "water to north", "rabbits right", "need more compost", "dont pick berries", "eat from baskets", etc. This way every kid that is smart enough to listen whatever adults say - will get some info.
The showing around to kid is only good when you've already established that kid is a pro player and can do stuff on his own - he just needs to know where what is. You should also only do that when there are not enough kids in colony and if you have full clothing for kid.

#4 2018-03-22 08:15:05

EmmyGamba

A mother once teached me the useful acronym "STFU" after I greeted her with "HI"

#5 2018-03-22 08:25:34

Go! Bwah!

NSP - no stab/shoot please

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#6 2018-03-22 20:25:37

draequine

EmmyGamba wrote:

A mother once teached me the useful acronym "STFU" after I greeted her with "HI"

I always greet my children with "Arrogant turd child!" Whenever they try to say anything longer than F, o-l-d, or w-a-s-h-e-r-e.

A kids food won't go down if you are holding and can breastfeed, and only costs one food to do. So if you have the clothes and the villages is being managed, there isn't a reason you shouldn't show key locations and say general rules; don't pick this, don't cut this down, seeding, leave alone,don't drain ect. And then just plop them by the group fire if there is a feeder there.

#7 2018-03-22 22:23:48

Thorware

draequine wrote:

I always greet my children with "Arrogant turd child!" Whenever they try to say anything longer than F, o-l-d, or w-a-s-h-e-r-e.

A kids food won't go down if you are holding and can breastfeed, and only costs one food to do. So if you have the clothes and the villages is being managed, there isn't a reason you shouldn't show key locations and say general rules; don't pick this, don't cut this down, seeding, leave alone,don't drain ect. And then just plop them by the group fire if there is a feeder there.

Exactly. Holding your kid is much more efficient than dropping them off at the fire constantly since they will never lose hunger and it's free for you. As this is the case, showing them around and giving them tips or rules is the best way to be a mother. The only thing that throws this off is if you have a second kid while the first one is not yet independent.

#8 2018-03-23 01:46:07

Twinsen

Thorware wrote:

...A kids food won't go down if you are holding and can breastfeed, and only costs one food to do...

Maybe the food meter did drop slower if you hold the baby tight, therefore, I would appreciate if you can provide some coding information/calculation first.

The math I know back in two weeks ago (because we know Jason would keep changing the game mechanic) is that pick and drop gives baby 4 food while consuming mother's one food; with the addition of the fire, you are much better off having that kid stay near fire instead. In otherwords, if you hold the baby tight, you are making 1 to 1 exchange which is obvious not as ideal as 1 to 4 exchange.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-23 01:46:58)

#9 2018-03-23 09:43:56

Joriom
Website

draequine wrote:

A kids food won't go down if you are holding and can breastfeed, and only costs one food to do.

Actyally - kids food does go down but it gets replenished from mother right away so you don't see that. Basically - every time kid would loose one hunger - mother looses it instead - aka mother gets hungry way faster.
On the other hand - you can leave kid next to fire (so it gets hungry way slower, slower even than mother) and feed it once in a while - replenishing his full hunger which will cost you 1 or 2 hunger in exchange dependig on how hungry the kid was.

#10 2018-03-23 10:10:37

Thorware

Twinsen wrote:

Maybe the food meter did drop slower if you hold the baby tight, therefore, I would appreciate if you can provide some coding information/calculation first.

The math I know back in two weeks ago (because we know Jason would keep changing the game mechanic) is that pick and drop gives baby 4 food while consuming mother's one food; with the addition of the fire, you are much better off having that kid stay near fire instead. In otherwords, if you hold the baby tight, you are making 1 to 1 exchange which is obvious not as ideal as 1 to 4 exchange.

Oh really? I had no idea it worked like this! I always just thought it was free to hold the baby. Thanks for the tip. You're right, I suppose it does feel like your hunger drains pretty fast when you are holding the baby.

#11 2018-03-23 11:42:44

Kitaelia

I, personally, feel a closer bond with my mother and village if she takes the time to show me around, tell me the rules, give me a job, and possibly name me. I find myself more productive in families I form a bond with. And the babies I raise that way seem more connected to the village as well. Just my observations anyway.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer