One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-14 16:26:21

The_Anabaptist

I get really frustrated when...

Is it just me, or does it seem that people are always butting into projects I'm working on?

Good Lord, just let me build my road in peace.  Or bake when nobody has previously bothered to step foot in the kitchen for the last 15 minutes.

You want to help?  Great!  Go into the wilds or across town and fetch more materials.  Leaving them a few spaces from where I'm clearly working. 
No, I don't need your help pounding the stakes in the wrong spot or lighting the fire prematurely.  No I don't need you to stack piles of junk in my route or put away my plates.

The_Anabaptist

#2 2019-06-14 17:39:31

sigmen4020

Re: I get really frustrated when...

Oh yeah that stuff can get really annoying. I just had a life where the town had oil somewhere (never found out but there was a can of oil there), but they had an exhausted well so I started preparation for a Diesel engine. I ended up abandoning that project halfway through though because an arrogant noob went and disrupted all the work on the Diesel engine to make a loom. He did so very badly wasting precious water we couldn’t afford for one piece in the multi tool a time, and sometimes nothing because he had no clue what he was doing. Even though the people who were making a Diesel engine (including me) were at the smith this noob butted in and thought his “learning experience” was worth ruining multiple people’s experience. Constantly switching the hammer for the lathe because his loom was VERY important(he didn’t even need the lathe at that point so it ended up as a completely wasted run). I ended up just doing something else in that village because I didn’t want to start unnecessary drama by killing him and he was too obnoxious to work around. Maybe when he’s gone the Guba family will actually get an engine.

Also protip if you’re a new player. Maybe don’t sabotage someone else’s project for your “learning experience”, but if no one is using the smith then feel free or at the very least ask.

Rant over.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-06-14 23:12:09)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-06-14 17:47:21

Whatever

Thats why there are property fences,
If you dont build property fences to protect your projects, dont complain that people mess stuff up

#4 2019-06-14 19:34:12

pein

every damn time big_smile

i mean i understand when i die and come back as a baby
they got no way knowing that

but when i get like 30 adobe, and start makign half walls for a pen to make it contain sheep
then comes a kid and starts make full walls, and i don't have enough adobe to finish it up

the worst was some moron waterign up a wole pen and smashing back down cause it will decay
no moron, half walls don't decay
if you got so much time, get more adobe and plaster it

i mean im ok if they help with an engien and got basic skills of smiting, is same thing, i do like 6 pistons, they do 2-4 im happy, but don't need to act smart and fuck up others work, when they teach you , you should listen
i don't evenstarted smiting until i was decent enough to do a full set in a life
i didn't even do smiting for 2-3 months in, i had like 200+ hours when i was confident enough to do it in a running village, until then i just did when the line was dead already

thing is gathering is harder, especially without zoom
getting people to work for you is hard when they cant do on their own
like only a few people helped me do some good stuff
like Tarr, Pharaoh or Mirelli
even some well known discord people explaiend their weird acions on discord and was kinda understandable
but ingame is just plain annoying

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-06-14 19:47:55

The_Anabaptist

@Whatever

Yeah, like I'm going to property fence a road...

The_Anabaptist

#6 2019-06-15 05:11:48

Dantox

The_Anabaptist wrote:

@Whatever

Yeah, like I'm going to property fence a road...

The_Anabaptist

lets property fence the nursery

make bread, no war

#7 2019-06-15 09:05:33

arkajalka

Yeah its really funny how people can neglect a job for ages and leave the town in turmoil, but the instant someone goes to work on it they come with their "helping" hands to mess everything up. Especially true when building roads, floors or smithing.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#8 2019-06-15 10:33:21

Kitaelia

Often times when people try to help it is because they don't fully understand the job and wish to work with a pro so they can better learn the job.

This is a direct result of lack of communication as a whole.

If someone is trying to "help" you try asking them if they are new and wish to learn [insert your current project job here].

If their answer is "not new" or "sorta new" (ie: they've done a little before) then ask them to do something that both gets them out of your hair, helps you with your job, AND helps them feel useful.
- Building Road?   "Can you get me boards?"
- Smithing? "Can you get more kindling and stack it over there?"
- Baking? "Can you get me the mutton from the sheep pen?"

If their answer is "yes new" then tell them to just watch and ask questions if they have them.

Because of this experience they will be more likely to communicate first and ask before barging into someone's job.

TL;DR:
Society needs communication.
If you're a Master. Teach.
If you're a Student. Ask to learn.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer