One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-11 03:45:07

Chaos4Horseman

Regret with griefing

Hello everyone. I don't know if you can consider what I have been doing griefing, but I do have a sort of regret for my action. This game has taught me emotions I never even knew I had!

I got into the game after watching a youtuber play it. I usually try to spawn in villages that have swords or are capable of making them. In a bit I'll get down to telling you what I've done.

So I've seen how people treated the eves or any other families in a single village. I've been trained by quite a few people to end them once they arrive or show that they might not be best for the village (even if they are innocent/new and accidentally let carrots turn to seeds and a whole row is wasted.

I've gotten very used to doing that and got the idea from that same youtuber that the swords can be used to conquer other villages. Now I actually have done this once to a village and still feel pretty bad for it, but I try to make other people know of my actions as soon as I spawn in any village! I was once named Ella Jean II and I was the person who slain the Genier family... I wiped them all out, and it's actually caused me to have regrets here and there.

The thing is when I inform other users of my past actions instead of being instantly killed I get asked to help conquer, slay, liquify, or wipe out other nearby villages...

This has caused me to pretend to prepare for an invasion, but I'll just run away for about a few hundred tiles (just to be out of sight in case anyone uses mods), and then come back. I then tell people a random number of people I took out and some random details. Yes I do lie just to make people satisfied.

Today I was in a village (I was named Bruce Wilson) and I took out someone (named Dickson Wilson) killing another person (Sophie Wilson) just because they didn't like the name they were given. I ended up tricking this (Dickson Wilson) person into a trust and used a bow on them behind their back!

I noticed this woman's kid (Brick Wilson VIII) was mad at me for killing his mother. He was just a child when she was dying and he just came and saw her die. He told me he would have vengeance upon me. Later on I decided to guard this village instead of what I was gonna do (steal a horse and run off with it because I already did something nice).

Just so everyone knows I own a troll group called The OHOL Four Horsemen, and I made the rules so we have to do something good or bad then vice versa the next life. So I was doing two good actions this life (or so I think). I don't know if I want to give up my group, but don't want to let it go to waste either! You can find this group on facebook if you want to check it out, but only join on your own choice!

Anyways, I noticed another woman die because she starved and therefore I adopted her son (Samuel Wilson). After quite a bit of time, and informing others of this threat from that kid earlier. I took a code of honor to defend the village from this threat and he came at me with a bow. He angrily questioned why I killed his mother, to which I didn't actually know what she was guilty of, so I said from rumor, which was she killed baby girls! I realized later after dying and checking the family tree that I mistakenly told him what she did. I did mention him killing that other woman I believe though. He then used the sad emotion and dropped the bow, informing me he no longer desired to end my life.

He no longer wanted murders in the village, and told me how he spent his entire life seeking to kill me. I decided that since I was the last living person from the times of those murders that I shall exile myself from the village. I notified my adopted son that I was going to leave and said my farewell, and he followed me with pies to feed me.

I decided that I could not let him feed me any longer and instead ran around in random directions until I starved. I figured I shall not remain in that village because I was the last living murderer!

Thing is I started another life and had a plan already thought out. There was a village with two different families living within it. I was planning to start a war between them by having one of the kids of the other family end my life with a knife and run around telling them they killed me. Then the two families would've most likely fought each other! Problem was, I couldn't go through with it... I told everyone instead to not curse or kill him. So I ended up dying for no reason.

Is there a way I can get back into the spirit of griefing or did this game end up changing me? I'll let you all know if I decide to give up trolling or not and if so, I'll give the command of the group to another person if they wish to be the leader.

Thank you anyone who has read this whole post and hope you all have a wonderful day!

https://imgur.com/a/ybUyMQQ

#2 2019-06-11 04:53:24

MultiLife

Re: Regret with griefing

Why do you want to troll? It chases away so many nice people. The ugly side of human nature raises its head. Manipulation, selfishness and unempathetic behaviors.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-06-11 06:05:20

RodneyC86

This is messed up. How did your brain tick then you started this game and your group

This game is first and foremost about being in a community working for survival. Most players play this with this in mind. Why do you feel the need to be the one standing in the way?

I guess one could say you just want to play the villain, but expect to be hated, you can't expect people here to support what you are doing. No one asks for a griefing from you to add to the fun. Maybe it's fine if someone asks you to grief then (it's a weird fetish, in real world, there are actually paid kidnapping services to give you the rush of being in danger, you paid to get kidnapped sometime in the future, you won't know when or how)

Most people here will just bash you now.

I have a take on this. A good person will be a good person behind the screen, a bad person will be a bad person behind the screen - especially if you're not a kid anymore . Yes, I believe an individual's online behaviour behind anonymity reflects their true morals. You can argue it's fine if you behave alright in real life but really, everyone wears a mask in real life - your online behaviour is your true self unmasked.
TBH, I really don't care whether you want to continue griefing or not. That's something you ask yourself.
But we will kick your ass if you try. Do you really want to play this game trying to kick ass and get ass kicked? Aren't there actual better games for this goal? Try the numerous FPS or battle royales

#4 2019-06-11 06:15:03

Bob 101

I quit griefing for awhile but started up again, Only with raiding though. Never against your own family. Even then I don't do it that much.

The other day I was in Dub lineage, Brought a griefer to justice and was invited on a bell raid. We spent a long time traveling and only about 5 minutes for the actual battle. Three of us Ran in with war swords and destroyed a good portion of the town.

But their was actually a branch of our lineage living with the enemy!
So sadly I got killed by one of them after realizing he was immune to my sword.

Was fun but probably not worth it. Cities are pretty secure against raids, Too many people to kill and most are armed. Along with medics to heal inquired. We killed many but a single girl means their numbers recover in a couple gens.

Easier and more beneficial to just steal and run.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-06-11 06:28:13)

#5 2019-06-11 06:57:31

CatX

Griefing periodically makes me fall out of love with the game, and I take long breaks. Which is good in and of itself I suppose, since I do have other things to spend my time on.

What brings me back is Twisted's videos and Jason's weekly updates. Twisted reminds me of all the good guys in OHOL. Jason keeps me curious about what's new. I have a few updates I'm eagerly waiting for (storage update especially) (I really love the slot box), and it's fascinating to see the game evolve even if I'm not playing.

But then at some point I've had enough of griefing again and leave, and the cycle continues.

It's almost like an abusive relationship at this point big_smile

I've made one observation that might just apply to me, but maybe others feel the same way. I do love this game. It's innovative and intriguing. But I don't recommend it to anyone. I tell them that I'm hooked the times I'm hooked, but I never say things like "you should try it yourself!" With Minecraft, I ended up buying the game as a present to a friend, and we have bought accounts for everyone in my family. I'm not buying OHOL for anyone else. The reason is that griefing is too detrimental of an experience for me to want to share it with people I care about.

In one life there was this kid who complained that the town was boring. And I thought: No, I love this. I love towns where nothing happens. It's the only places after all where I get to choose my own projects. Where certain tasks or actions are not imposed on me. I gave him a few things to do, and he helped me, and while he kept complaining he never griefed. At the end of my life I think he showed me something he found lovely - a flower probably. What a sweet guy. I love how he stuck with it and didn't grief or die, enabling us to share a moment of appreciation at the end.

#6 2019-06-11 08:46:55

MultiLife

CatX wrote:

What brings me back is Twisted's videos and Jason's weekly updates. Twisted reminds me of all the good guys in OHOL.

Can you confirm if Twisted's killing videos are just clickbait or has he actually griefed in some videos? Some of his videos have thumbnails and titles that sound like he went and killed everyone and I haven't watched those as I don't want to support those kinds of videos and make him think I'd like to see more of killing things.

CatX wrote:

In one life there was this kid who complained that the town was boring. And I thought: No, I love this. I love towns where nothing happens. It's the only places after all where I get to choose my own projects.

Yeah. Many think they do a big service to others and do what Jason wants when they start killing, destroying, blocking and damaging places or others. I just want to chill and do what I'd like to without someone constantly hindering me and the place.

Also I agree with the abusive relationship thing too, the game is something unique, but I always explain to interested people why I don't want them in the game. I don't want to twin with them and I don't want to put them into the situations I've experienced in the game with griefers.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-11 09:03:11)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2019-06-11 09:10:02

CatX

MultiLife wrote:

Can you confirm if Twisted's killing videos are just clickbait or has he actually griefed in some videos? Some of his videos have thumbnails and titles that sound like he went and killed everyone and I haven't watched those as I don't want to support those kinds of videos and make him think I'd like to see more of killing things.

Hm... I don't watch all his videos, so I'm not sure. There was one time before I bought the game where his mother told him to kill a different family, so he tried to start a war. He did apologize and say it wasn't something he wanted to do on a regular basis though, IIRC.

My impression is that he's good at getting rid of griefers (better than me, certainly), but that overall he plays peacefully.

I suppose the last suspicious title was "They were so nice to me, but I brought death to their city", and I yeah, it's one of the videos I've skipped. I'll go watch it now smile

#8 2019-06-11 09:27:26

sigmen4020

CatX wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

Hm... I don't watch all his videos, so I'm not sure. There was one time before I bought the game where his mother told him to kill a different family, so he tried to start a war. He did apologize and say it wasn't something he wanted to do on a regular basis though, IIRC.

My impression is that he's good at getting rid of griefers (better than me, certainly), but that overall he plays peacefully.

I suppose the last suspicious title was "They were so nice to me, but I brought death to their city", and I yeah, it's one of the videos I've skipped. I'll go watch it now smile

I saw that video. He wanted to try out the war sword so he used it on a family he found. He was pretty hesitant about it, but ended using it on this particular family mainly because it was a family that was about to die out anyway (only consisted of two men and an old woman). It was to me fairly obvious that he felt bad about it after he did the act.

I don’t really watch many of his videos (they are pretty long and come out fairly frequently so I don’t have the time), but to me these kinds of videos seem pretty uncommon.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-06-11 09:32:02

Tarr
Banned

CatX wrote:

Griefing periodically makes me fall out of love with the game, and I take long breaks. Which is good in and of itself I suppose, since I do have other things to spend my time on.

What brings me back is Twisted's videos and Jason's weekly updates. Twisted reminds me of all the good guys in OHOL. Jason keeps me curious about what's new. I have a few updates I'm eagerly waiting for (storage update especially) (I really love the slot box), and it's fascinating to see the game evolve even if I'm not playing.

But then at some point I've had enough of griefing again and leave, and the cycle continues.

It's almost like an abusive relationship at this point big_smile

I've made one observation that might just apply to me, but maybe others feel the same way. I do love this game. It's innovative and intriguing. But I don't recommend it to anyone. I tell them that I'm hooked the times I'm hooked, but I never say things like "you should try it yourself!" With Minecraft, I ended up buying the game as a present to a friend, and we have bought accounts for everyone in my family. I'm not buying OHOL for anyone else. The reason is that griefing is too detrimental of an experience for me to want to share it with people I care about.

In one life there was this kid who complained that the town was boring. And I thought: No, I love this. I love towns where nothing happens. It's the only places after all where I get to choose my own projects. Where certain tasks or actions are not imposed on me. I gave him a few things to do, and he helped me, and while he kept complaining he never griefed. At the end of my life I think he showed me something he found lovely - a flower probably. What a sweet guy. I love how he stuck with it and didn't grief or die, enabling us to share a moment of appreciation at the end.

This is super relatable. I've been completely burnt out on this game since the sword update as the part I like least is all the rampant griefing that has came from it. I ended up playing a life a few days back and really enjoyed my life, just chilling in a late game town and getting to build this trippy looking thing
1frjIvw.png

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of playing a second life which just ended up being some dude griefing by purposely running horse carts on snakes, hiding buckets everywhere, and of course the classic framing tactics. As soon as I shot him someone stabbed me and I got a few curses, the people not asking why even though I tried to explain.

The griefing in this game is abysmal and even though I've bought my best friend a copy of the game and my younger brother a copy none of us play together. As great as this game is aesthetically or fun in general it's so far backwards when it comes to trolls. If I wanted to play a game with self sabotaging teammates I'll go play SS13, as at least I'll have a memorable story. I'm sure one day I'll get back into playing ohol but the issues with the game way overshadow anything this game does right.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-06-11 16:14:43

Spoonwood

Tarr,

I'd advise that you click on the button where you can just go be Eve, since griefing is less likely to happen in an Eve camp.  But, such doesn't exist, because keeping a player like you happy doesn't matter (to the game designer).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-06-11 16:43:55

Chaos4Horseman

To all those thinking I'm griefing in a bad way, what I actually do is I attack people outside of my family. The only time I have ever attacked someone in my family in this game was that one person.

What I'm saying is that I had regret taking them out since they were part of my family!

When I first played this game I asked what I should be and my mother told me they could use a villain in that big city. So I said no since I didn't want to hurt people from my family. This actually gives me a chance to play the villain, like an overlord type.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here, but you could basically call me the Hitler of OHOL except I don't blame a specific race, I attack all (unless they're my family).

Don't try to make me to be an asshole because I've read posts on this site and had real experiences in game where there is slavery. I don't do that though! I just wipe them out and go die somewhere away from the village I attacked.

In real life there has been evil dictators rising to power and trying to conquer. I want to play as a demon though, but a ying-yang type of demon. Where one life good actions are done, and the other life something bad befalls people outside of the family. Any time I'm playing as good in a life I don't harm anybody including people raiding our village because I try to be good.

I don't do useless griefing like some do like letting carrots turn to seeds, wasting resources on potatoes, killing family members, destroying tools, wasting/hiding food, etc... All I do is sort of make a challenge to other people in a way. Think of it as a way for families to improve on village security. If only one person could take them out, then they should improve security. I do NOT attack villages that are incapable of making swords. If I walk around and see no swords I leave and find another village. I like a bit of a challenge myself (like the Geniers, except only one guy chased me even though they had 5 swords...).

Call me whatever you want, but I'm sure most of you done griefing of your own and think you did good. I've had a mother once let me starve because I explained what I did to the Genier and she abandoned me. You can bet that is somewhat a form of griefing itself. If you've ever hid weapons that is griefing as well. Anything can possibly be claimed as griefing. Even new players get accused because they accidently break a hoe/axe.

By the way I have seen some of Twisted's videos and can confirm he is a griefer as well!

Last edited by Chaos4Horseman (2019-06-11 16:44:44)

#12 2019-06-11 17:10:51

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:

Tarr,

I'd advise that you click on the button where you can just go be Eve, since griefing is less likely to happen in an Eve camp.  But, such doesn't exist, because keeping a player like you happy doesn't matter (to the game designer).

I'm pretty sure Tarr dislikes playing in Eve village because of how samey it can get (I could be wrong).

Why are you presuming Tarr's playing preference to push your own agenda?

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#13 2019-06-11 17:42:03

Chaos4Horseman

RodneyC86 wrote:

But we will kick your ass if you try. Do you really want to play this game trying to kick ass and get ass kicked?

Would like to see you try. You sound like you beat women and children in real life. Are you putting on a mask here to act tough?

#14 2019-06-11 18:53:43

RodneyC86

Chaos4Horseman wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

But we will kick your ass if you try. Do you really want to play this game trying to kick ass and get ass kicked?

Would like to see you try. You sound like you beat women and children in real life. Are you putting on a mask here to act tough?

How does that even make any sense? I have no need to put on a mask here.

#15 2019-06-11 18:56:34

Chaos4Horseman

RodneyC86 wrote:

How does that even make any sense? I have no need to put on a mask here.

Internet tough guy pretends to be tough irl, pisses pants when someone calls them out.

#16 2019-06-11 19:03:55

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Tarr,

I'm pretty sure Tarr dislikes playing in Eve village because of how samey it can get (I could be wrong).

Why are you presuming Tarr's playing preference to push your own agenda?

I thought he liked *ocassionaly* playing as Eve.  If I'm wrong about that, then I have spoken incorrectly.  I did NOT mean to suggest that Tarr play as Eve half a dozen times in a row.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#17 2019-06-11 22:48:51

pein

i started a road in Yum town toward Brave town

with a group like that you could make a road and an arena to the middle
and old woman and males could kill each other for fun and giggles
creating a tradition which wont hurt families

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2019-06-11 23:14:44

Chaos4Horseman

pein wrote:

i started a road in Yum town toward Brave town

with a group like that you could make a road and an arena to the middle
and old woman and males could kill each other for fun and giggles
creating a tradition which wont hurt families

Something like that would actually be great! People could even record their matches and we could make it into something like WWE.

#19 2019-06-11 23:55:15

pein

invite me to group and if i got time, i can drop coords and data to you on living lineages closeby

other than that just leave some paper behind
and gather stone, flat rock and shit

we can do prop fence  , maybe some viever spots with popcorn
4gTg7AM.png
quick sketch like this

has the advantage of having a middle spot for viewers
then a gat one way out so they decide the fate
also covers i nbow fights as you cant shoot across fences

maybe some extra obstructing objects and items on floor to mess up with the knife fights
too bad jason changed the aim, gets quite dumb this way, no good dodging possible

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2019-06-12 00:51:59

Chaos4Horseman

pein wrote:

invite me to group and if i got time, i can drop coords and data to you on living lineages closeby

other than that just leave some paper behind
and gather stone, flat rock and shit

we can do prop fence  , maybe some viever spots with popcorn
https://i.imgur.com/4gTg7AM.png
quick sketch like this

has the advantage of having a middle spot for viewers
then a gat one way out so they decide the fate
also covers i nbow fights as you cant shoot across fences

maybe some extra obstructing objects and items on floor to mess up with the knife fights
too bad jason changed the aim, gets quite dumb this way, no good dodging possible

May I use this as an idea with your permission? I'll give credit even. I might make it either a bit larger or more wide if alright.

#21 2019-06-12 01:00:14

pein

sure go ahead, would like to see ingame

on a related note, an inner fence of 2x2 would be good for viewers
a slot box with corn and a fire, they can step away to eat one at a time
and outer ring as arena, maybe a few fences in mid to dodge shots, some maze like map

gotta test it to find ideal shapes

ofc pads and a medic to heal might be good

#22 2019-06-12 07:16:35

CatX

Chaos4Horseman wrote:

To all those thinking I'm griefing in a bad way, what I actually do is I attack people outside of my family. The only time I have ever attacked someone in my family in this game was that one person.

What I'm saying is that I had regret taking them out since they were part of my family!

Well, it doesn't really matter to the person who had decided upon a project to spend the next hour on whether their murderer is a family member or a stranger.

There's a thread on this forum about fences. Fences should be easy to build, they only require maple branches and a few tools after all. Certainly the game as intended is that fences are for pens, adobe for ovens and bowls.

And yet, people talk in that thread about how property fences and adobe bases are quicker and easier to build. Not only that, they don't require branches which early settlements are dependent on to produce a varied set of tools. Thus it is neither practical nor wise to build pens out of fences in early settlements in the game as is.

The argument then is that the game as intended does not equal the game as is.

In the game as is, fences in early settlements are better built without using actual fences.

And similarly, even though killing strangers is implemented as a feature in the game as intended, it is still conceived as griefing, at least to the victims, in the game as is.

I acknowledge that the player base is large, and that we have different views when it comes to weapons, war swords, and griefing in general. In the end, Jason makes the best game he can make, and some of us will enjoy it and stay, while others will realize this is not the game for us and leave. It's just the way it is. However, the player base also has a choice in how to use the tools Jason gives us. Either we turn this into a war game first and foremost, or we prioritize building, nursing, farming and exploring.

Unfortunately, those who prefer war will always have the upper hand because they will always be able to impose their choice on others.

So I'm not going to tell people not to kill outsiders. But I would ask you to be mindful, and not do it just for the sake of killing. Just as when it comes to family, do it when there's a reason. (And yes, I have to concur that unfortunately right now there's no real incentive to keep strangers alive in this implementation of the game, which I find sad...)

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-12 07:18:13)

#23 2019-06-12 18:46:23

Chaos4Horseman

CatX wrote:

(And yes, I have to concur that unfortunately right now there's no real incentive to keep strangers alive in this implementation of the game, which I find sad...)

Perhaps maybe something like for each person that is outside of a family in the village gives each player another box on the food bar, or perhaps he could implement diseases other than yellow fever so if a person outside of the family feeds the other family they get cured?

I wonder how that'd work though.

#24 2019-06-12 22:54:59

Sukallinen

Chaos4Horseman wrote:

By the way I have seen some of Twisted's videos and can confirm he is a griefer as well!

As far as I know I've seen all of his videos, two (you saw one) he has done killings. One was what stated earlier, one to kill a family line. And nah, I personally don't see these as griefing, killing is part of game-though there *should* be a way to live harmoniously with another family, it's just not possible at current game mechanics. It's not even possible to live in single family, but at least you can curse etc (did mechanics of that get so one could curse other lineage or even people with no surname? Idk, I don't curse easily).

Other griefing Twisted always does is overusing resources, but I'm such a fangirl np, for videos need some sacrifices.

Also I don't like him (or anyone) leaving pen that has dead lambs(or such) inside w/o carrying one out. Another easy way is to bring a basket inside, swap it between dead lamb and put the dead lamb in the basket. But leaving pen almost full (having dead lambs) is just plain stupid. But I digress.

So, please define griefing (hopefully what Twisted's done), I don't like to define mine since it's so much worse than, say, wasting all sheep (easily replenishable/prevented/limited trouble) or picking up/not picking up some plants. Or Twisted never leaving one corn to dry out (I find it odd). What kind of griefing is later stage of town having 6 rows of extra seeds ? If you're lazy enough not to make soil then I see it, not otherwise, just taking some space. Prevent: leave a soilpile OR when walking past seeing 6 rows of carrots growing build something nearby if nobody else is about to pick'em. I have other golden nuggets like that if needed wink

Edit: I've travelled world IRL and where-ever I go I see people littering landscape, whats up with that ? I do make a point to pick up one more trash than I make, where-ever I go.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-12 23:01:57)

#25 2019-06-12 23:05:51

Chaos4Horseman

Sukallinen wrote:

One was what stated earlier, one to kill a family line. And nah, I personally don't see these as griefing, killing is part of game-though there *should* be a way to live harmoniously with another family, it's just not possible at current game mechanics.

So would you say what I did was griefing then? Because I see different opinions on what is considered griefing and what isn't. People claim killing anyone outside of family is griefing (Twisted did do that in that one particular video), and some say it isn't.

You can claim he wasn't griefing by stating the village was dying out, although did they want/give permission for him to do that?

Board footer