One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 13:33:51

Birdy

I'm not having fun playing this game

I want to enjoy it, I paid for it after all, but it's just not fun to wait several minutes doing nothing while growing up, depending on someone to feed me while unable to communicate with them. Once grown, I spend a substantial amount of time just eating, every trip outside the village is a race against the clock to not starve to death. I don't have time to explore the crafting system, and even just talking to other people is made difficult by this constant pressure to eat.

Those are what I see as the simplest problems to solve in this game. Just make the baby-stage shorter, maybe let babies speak in more than 1 or 2 letters at a time, and for gods sake make stomachs bigger.

So that's that, but I have a bunch of other gripes with the game as well, and those are more fundamental...
The controls are clumsy and difficult, in the beginning I died a bunch of times simply because I couldn't figure out how to eat a carrot from a basket. When do you use right click and when do you use left click? There's no way to figure it out except through trial and error.

Then there's the crafting system. There are little hints in the corner of the screen, but they're not much help. What the hell is adobe, what does it look like, where do I get it? Had to go watch a youtube video for that. How do I start a fire? Gotta go watch a youtube video. I need to do goddamn homework to play this game, and I'm playing games specifically because I'm bored of homework and want to relax.

Gripes for the gripe god

#2 2018-03-21 13:41:00

emucat

Re: I'm not having fun playing this game

Get clothes and you won't need to eat that often

#3 2018-03-21 13:43:19

Birdy

emucat wrote:

Get clothes and you won't need to eat that often

Still too often though.

Gripes for the gripe god

#4 2018-03-21 13:54:21

EaterOfBerries

You never have to use outside resources to learn the game. Learning from other players (and teaching other players) is a large part of the game, and for me, one of the most enjoyable.

#5 2018-03-21 14:02:50

Thexus

there is only one god, infidel, and he is carrot god

also, this game is a civilization simulator, not an rpg, and being a beginner is part of the game, the baby stage is only 3 mins long, enough time for the mother to give you some lessons

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#6 2018-03-21 14:04:40

Baker

Give it some time, The crafting system takes a bit to figure out but you can probably learn the basics from someone if you ask in game. The controls are just left and right click, You'll get used to it.

If you can, Get a backpack. Fill it up with pies, If you don't have pies then carrots will do. If your sick of having to eat all the time while you're trying to learn the game I would recommend trying some custom servers.

This one has half Hunger: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=381

This one gives you more time to live: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=512

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-03-21 14:07:34

BluePixelDemon

Birdy wrote:

The controls are clumsy and difficult, in the beginning I died a bunch of times simply because I couldn't figure out how to eat a carrot from a basket. When do you use right click and when do you use left click? There's no way to figure it out except through trial and error.

It's all muscle memory. If you just keep playing it's all going to be super easy when you get the hang of it.

Birdy wrote:

Then there's the crafting system. There are little hints in the corner of the screen, but they're not much help. What the hell is adobe, what does it look like, where do I get it? Had to go watch a youtube video for that. How do I start a fire? Gotta go watch a youtube video. I need to do goddamn homework to play this game, and I'm playing games specifically because I'm bored of homework and want to relax.

Don't watch youtube videos. At all. The only thing you need for crafting is the wiki... And yes, I get that it can feel like homework in the beginning, but again, if you keep playing you're going to remember almost every recipe. This is a game you need to invest some time and effort into. If you're not willing to do that, then don't play it.

"Jason is a sadist and we're bunch of masochists."
- Joriom 2018

#8 2018-03-21 14:08:15

Mugatu86

If you're just starting out, i would recommend the following:

1. Join a server with 0 users online (or those with easier settings such as the 120 age www.dying.world server). As the 0 pop servers are usually like server 12+, no one will join them unless the others are full - and will allow you to focus on what you want to do. You can use this tool or modify your settings in your onelife directory to point to a seperate server. Online Server list is here, be sure to join one that's 0/40 so you have breathing room.

2. Use external references like the Wiki or Crafting reference to see what are the recipes or how things look like, so you get a basic understanding of how common items are built/look

This should help set you up so you can start helping out other players, and appreciating the game a bit more.

#9 2018-03-21 14:37:18

Birdy

Thexus wrote:

also, this game is a civilization simulator, not an rpg, and being a beginner is part of the game, the baby stage is only 3 mins long, enough time for the mother to give you some lessons

Theoretically, but mothers never give lessons, and I can't ask for them because I can't talk.

Gripes for the gripe god

#10 2018-03-21 14:39:22

Twinsen

Birdy wrote:
Thexus wrote:

Theoretically, but mothers never give lessons, and I can't ask for them because I can't talk.

Mother not giving lesson is either she's as new as you are or she is too busy surviving as you did; therefore, as other suggested, try visiting a custom server so you have some breathing room first.

#11 2018-03-21 14:44:18

Birdy

Also, I specifically said I don't want homework, and you all told me to go do homework. No thanks.

Sure, all games have learning curves. I played dark souls and loved it. I played - and still play - don't starve without ever looking at tutorials. I love a challenge.

This isn't a challenge. It's homework. The game isn't fun, plain and simple. If this was on steam, I would ask for my money back. But oh wait, this isn't on steam. Cutting out the middle man, haha, yes, I'm never falling for that one again.

Gripes for the gripe god

#12 2018-03-21 14:47:39

Birdy

Twinsen wrote:

Mother not giving lesson is either she's as new as you are or she is too busy surviving as you did; therefore, as other suggested, try visiting a custom server so you have some breathing room first.

I've been born in cities several times, the mothers just stand around taking care of the babies, no tutorial given.

In any case, what tutorial could she possibly give, the game is a mess to figure out.

Gripes for the gripe god

#13 2018-03-21 14:54:10

Twinsen

Birdy wrote:

Also, I specifically said I don't want homework, and you all told me to go do homework. No thanks.

Sure, all games have learning curves. I played dark souls and loved it. I played - and still play - don't starve without ever looking at tutorials. I love a challenge.

This isn't a challenge. It's homework. The game isn't fun, plain and simple. If this was on steam, I would ask for my money back. But oh wait, this isn't on steam. Cutting out the middle man, haha, yes, I'm never falling for that one again.

I once purchased a Dyson mini-vacuum and I regret the purchase after a month because it's heavy and it has a short battery life. While my parents and my neighbor that borrowed it said it's awesome, I never felt like it. While after all these years, the battery life is still around 30 minutes, I still hate myself paying USD299 6 years ago and I would prefer spending it on something else.

I understand buyer's regret; but in order to prevent our own buyer's regret is, ironically, doing a bit homework. I understand that you probably only watched one U-tube and thought it's fun because the content creator made it so; and unfortunately, happens to many Early Access games in Steam.

Anyway, if you are using Paypal, you can ask for refund, but the process is painful; even if you were using credit card, I think you can still contact those credit card agency to reverse those transaction.

#14 2018-03-21 14:55:23

Twinsen

Birdy wrote:
Twinsen wrote:

I've been born in cities several times, the mothers just stand around taking care of the babies, no tutorial given.

In any case, what tutorial could she possibly give, the game is a mess to figure out.

The game isn't a mess; the issue is... yes, homework.

#15 2018-03-21 14:55:29

EaterOfBerries

If you truly think the game is fundamentally not fun, and you have no interest in doing any "homework" in, or out of game to improve, then I submit that this is not the game for you.

#16 2018-03-21 14:59:40

Twinsen

In the OP's defense, I have more fun playing Hearts of Iron 4 Black Ice than Hearts of Iron 3 vanilla because it's between a chore of assigning generals in HOI3 while having some degree of difficulty in HOI4.

#17 2018-03-21 15:04:51

Birdy

Twinsen wrote:

I once purchased a Dyson mini-vacuum and I regret the purchase after a month because it's heavy and it has a short battery life. While my parents and my neighbor that borrowed it said it's awesome, I never felt like it. While after all these years, the battery life is still around 30 minutes, I still hate myself paying USD299 6 years ago and I would prefer spending it on something else.

I understand buyer's regret; but in order to prevent our own buyer's regret is, ironically, doing a bit homework. I understand that you probably only watched one U-tube and thought it's fun because the content creator made it so; and unfortunately, happens to many Early Access games in Steam.

Anyway, if you are using Paypal, you can ask for refund, but the process is painful; even if you were using credit card, I think you can still contact those credit card agency to reverse those transaction.

Yeah, I bought it after watching a youtube video and reading some of what Jason Rohrer had written about it on this site. I didn't want to spoil the fun of getting to know the game.

I'm gonna try to get a refund. Thanks for the advice and for being understanding.

Gripes for the gripe god

#18 2018-03-21 15:59:27

lesslucid

Did you try the custom server with half hunger? It's a much gentler introduction to the game's systems because, without the frantic rush for food all the time, it's quite easy to wander around, find some things, make some things...

#19 2018-03-21 16:14:49

adobe_monster

This is how I felt yesterday after first starting to play. It seemed like there's just not enough time to learn anything because you starve to death unless you already know how to do everything, or else you have no idea what the next thing to do is.

Last night I spent an hour or two on the half-hunger server and asked someone to teach me to farm, and quickly started having a lot of fun. I'm going to learn the basics there and then go back to a regular server.

The game as it is right now does take either a bit of homework, or a dedicated effort to learn through interacting with other players. I understand that's a little annoying at first but I'm glad I stuck with it and I feel like I'm over the hump.

#20 2018-03-21 16:43:09

jord1990

If you are going for a refund just email Jason. Don't do it through paypal because most likely it will just be more of a hassle.

#21 2018-03-21 17:10:16

Joriom
Website

Birdy wrote:

The point of this "game" is to be, well, kind of a job. You don't play this game to have fun like you do in dark souls, minecraft, don't starve... Some of them are easy, some of them are hard. Some of them are very punishing. But they are strictly defined as games. OHOL is defined as "game" but also as a "social experiment". It designeg in such a way you can almost only have fun if your definition of fun is suffering. I've said it many times before and will say it yet again: "Jason is a sadist and we're bunch of masochists". We really need a big sign like that on the front page.

#22 2018-03-21 17:20:39

TheRedeemer

Joriom wrote:

"Jason is a sadist and we're bunch of masochists"

Ty for the signature tongue

"Jason is a sadist and we're bunch of masochists"
-Joriom

#23 2018-03-21 19:15:08

Mortan

Try the half hunger server as suggested. If that's still too stressful for you, set up your own private server, where you can set the hunger basically to 0 and try everything out in peace. There are a bunch of tutorials here in the forum. Also check out this crafting reference, which is a bit easier to consume than the wiki: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/

#24 2018-03-21 19:24:26

Birdy

Oh, I got a response from Jason. I'll get a refund ^^

It was actually faster than steam... I guess I'll withdraw my complaint.

Gripes for the gripe god

#25 2018-03-22 08:27:32

Antarys

I sure don't understand what you wanted from this game. No starve, building simulator with people to teach you everything? Do people teach you how to play Moba, FPS, RTS, MMO when you are inside the game? Nah, they will just kick you out if they can.

Board footer