One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-01 14:06:30

Solbusaur

Reasons for Lineage-only cursing?

The whole stream sniping thing doesn't really justify it to me

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2019-06-01 14:16:49

futurebird

Re: Reasons for Lineage-only cursing?

I think it was also implemented to make people "care about their families" more but I don't think it did that exactly. I'm just as distrustful of my family as before it's just now I fear outsiders and have to think about if it's worth it to have them around. I generally think it is. I just can't get in to the whole "kill everyone who's not in my family" mindset. So, I'm just cautious. I'd rather have strangers in town then play in an empty and dying town. Will one of them have a kid some day who causes problems? Probably. But just as I curse and kill my own family if they attack others unprovoked I hope that people in *their* family will curse and kill the bad apples when they crop up. Playing with languages is too fun to miss out on.

I think that it would be good, though, to making curing outside of a lineage possible.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-06-01 14:43:56

RodneyC86

Because OHOL is a social experiment

#4 2019-06-01 16:26:07

Keyin

So that when you go to war and kill someone in the war, the fallen warrior does not curse the one who kills them.

#5 2019-06-01 17:54:10

Spoonwood

I agree.

Keyin wrote:

So that when you go to war and kill someone in the war, the fallen warrior does not curse the one who kills them.

I don't think that's the reason it originally came into place.  I think the inability to curse outside of your lineage predated war swords by a good bit.

Also, I don't think war is good for the game.  People don't like getting killed.  The people who want to kill in this game and who want war I do not believe a majority.  And the emotions induced aren't compatible with raising children and building civilization.  Do you think that women in the real world who want children soon or are raising children, that they *themselves* want to be a soldier in a war?  It's one thing to say that men come as undervalued in this game, but it's another to say that fertile women just as much to lineages as men do.  Fertile women, and girls who can become fertile women, just matter more than other people in OHOL in terms of what matters to lineages.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-01 17:59:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-06-01 17:56:58

Guppy

Keyin wrote:

This

#7 2019-06-01 18:17:13

Jk Howling

The main reason was because of curse-raids both in the discord and on twitch streams. People could hop onto discord and say "hey guys this guy griefed really bad pls curse him" and they'd gather curses, from players who literally had never even seen or played with that character..

Also shortly before the idea was proposed and implemented, DaTruf managed to send Twisted to Donkey Town after watching one of his streams and getting other people to curse him.

ig it also tied in with the war swords though. Jason wants wars and slaughtering, hard to do that when you risk going to DT after killing off a family :^)

-Has ascended to better games-

#8 2019-06-01 18:59:56

sigmen4020

Jk Howling wrote:

The main reason was because of curse-raids both in the discord and on twitch streams. People could hop onto discord and say "hey guys this guy griefed really bad pls curse him" and they'd gather curses, from players who literally had never even seen or played with that character..

Also shortly before the idea was proposed and implemented, DaTruf managed to send Twisted to Donkey Town after watching one of his streams and getting other people to curse him.

ig it also tied in with the war swords though. Jason wants wars and slaughtering, hard to do that when you risk going to DT after killing off a family :^)

I dislike Da False as much as the next person, but I’m pretty sure it was Toxic who did that.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6075

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-06-01 19:02:17)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-06-01 20:01:37

Tarr
Banned

Cursing has been bugged since the last name saving feature was added in. Since it's possible to fully lose a last name due to a bug it creates uncursable people. The whole system has been in shambles since he nerfed it in the first place so I don't see the reason to not have at the very least an area based curse system.

Though I don't have 15+ years of experience so I don't know if that's possible to do lel.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-06-01 20:12:29

Sukallinen

Tarr wrote:

Though I don't have 15+ years of experience so I don't know if that's possible to do lel.

Me me I have !

Though I feel *a bit* ashamed to up this post hmm

#11 2019-06-01 20:26:26

Léonard

Tarr wrote:

It's definitely impossible to fix this bug in the engine. The code simply does not allow for it.

#12 2019-06-01 20:54:46

futurebird

Tarr wrote:

Cursing has been bugged since the last name saving feature was added in. Since it's possible to fully lose a last name due to a bug it creates uncursable people. The whole system has been in shambles since he nerfed it in the first place so I don't see the reason to not have at the very least an area based curse system.

Yup. In this life:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6783

I had no last name because my mom was a new player and didn't name me. I could have been a real menace, I found a lot of weapons but it's more fun to pretend to be in love. I've also noticed that if an Eve names a kid *before* she names herself that kid may not have a last name even after she names herself.

I would like to see a curse system where you click on the player and that transfers their *exact* name to your talk-bar between typos, being a baby, not being in your family cursing mostly amounts to moms cursing annoying kids.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer