Discussion:honor and equal chances

I didn't liked the "duel" system at start
i got used to it
The recent changes on magic aim just balance the scales to attackers

Someone snipes you? you are dead
Someone threatens to kill you? cant take it as a joke, now you cant dodge it

Jason called it griefers dance
Cause you kill someone then dance your way out of retribution
But what about those butthurt 11 year old newbees who take bow for first time and try kill you?
i dodged so many of them and killed them in return

There were some good pvp players, that would first tell you that they gonna kill you and you had a chance to get a weapon
Stupid? you can call it stupid but that what honor means
people who kill you while you are on cooldown? cowards, if they kill you for killing then they just as bad as you
but they don't realize that cause they selfish, the rare times when i was healed and they killed they realized they were wrong in reverse situation
Honor means that you don't backstab people, you give them a weapon, a chance to defend themselves and deal with them that way proving that you are better

Wars? in history there were wars, but generally a war came with a war declaration
sure not in barbaric times, but the french and english faced with guns and shot each other at same time, sure films overdramatize it, possibly leaders never run first in battle, but im pretty sure there were fights where both sides expected that the other attacks and knew they will suffer heavy losses but still not take the easy way
The turks take kids as slaves, they used them in front lines on next fights
My ancesstors in Transilvania paid tribute so the transilvanian hungarians never been occupied by them, rest of Hungary was taken for 200 years
when the big countries fought a war, they called it crusader wars, the turks knew about it, maybe cause of spies, but generally a war declaration came before someone moved all of a country forces against others

they still had some respect not to kill women and children, they allowed medics to help the fallen

if someone hold a grudge against someone else, people let them duel in a controlled environment and the winner could be right and the loser was wrong
people forgot the loser and his intention, whether if he was right or wrong
i don't like when i kill a griefer and they call me a griefer cause of it
killing is not griefing, it's anti griefing
i would take a fight thrusting my skills that i will win and if others don't want to do it then they shouldn't threaten with it
so both on one on one duels and family wide duels we need a system which enforces people to fight with equal or clsoe to equal chances

you want to kill a family? send a war declaration
they can prepare for it
they can fight back
they can run away

want to kill someone? cause of grudge? cause he griefing? cause he kills defenseless kids and fertile women's who are new to it?
force him to fight you first

sure it's more risk for you to give a chance but creates a good system
footbal replaced fights, it grew as a sport, and people werent that interested in killing others, but the feeling of wins, beating others, calling your nation better has the same principle

i seen this in game, some people want peace, then comes a 8 year old and stabs someone from them
now you either kill your family member or you kill the other family
someone cursign me for killign an eve?
the town is fenced around, our ancestors had problems with other families, most people agree that shouldn't let others in
this two things don't mix well
the other day i killed a person killing half of my family
some idiot quads died then came back as other family
i was paranoid towards others cause we justfixed the town, and seeing other family made me think they came back

we need a choice before it happens
we either be neutral, we either fight, we either be peaceful
and people should agree upon before, not after
and even if they don't like that we are in war they should respect the decision of leaders/majority

comes an eve? offers peace? then we can offer shelter, once she breaks peace we can clearly say that she needs to leave or kill her family

i havent seen wars, i seen one sided man slaughter like cortez did with primitive mayans

films are overly dramatic? well they are, but this is a game, we need drama, we need a signal that we are at a war, we need to tax the eve, who wants to live with us, we need a way to prevent conflict
swords could only be used during war, on enemies
people need to vote on war or peace
maybe a way to tax other families to pay tribute or else
we need to prevent our kids to go on a rampage without the elders allowing it

you can either consider kills bad and become a traitor to your family or you can be peaceul and lose the work your ancestors did cause they got more girls
or both families die out cause some kidstarts a war alone

Last edited by pein (2019-05-31 19:18:16)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-05-31 20:08:18

Spoonwood

Re: Discussion:honor and equal chances

Interesting idea of an honor system for combat and it being optional pein.  I don't think it will matter.  Also, I don't think player control as you propose ends up compatible with Jason's "vision" just as implementing mods similar to what people have already been doing, isn't compatible with Jason's nearsighted "vision".  People might like it A LOT more and it might attract more players to the game or keep people for longer.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-06-01 01:31:10

Bob 101

I think the new system has benefits too. Newer players can can be more confident in killing griefers/ Raiders

I think breaking the honor system should allow for cursing non-family. Like kids under eight or unarmed people aren't a direct threat. Not until they actually pickup a weapon.

In other words, anybody without a weapon on them is a civilian. They CAN be killed but it opens the attackers family to being cursed  forever.

Stealing is difficult though. With this system it would be dishonorable to kill an unarmed thief. Guess Jails could provide an altarnative for dealing with them.

But jails have the loophole of locking uo civilians and just starving them. But that's hard to do in mass.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-06-01 01:49:05)

#4 2019-06-01 01:36:27

futurebird

I like the new system. It makes killing about intent not skill.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer